Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Are Patches So Small If The Dev Team Is So Big?

Spindle99

So I know people are gonna lose their **** and white knight but seriously, Warframe has 200 people working on it full time, these aren't guys working in their basements they are professional developers working full time. 

I was under the impression that there were teams assigned to everything, so a team for PVP, a team for Dojo work, a team for Archwing, a team for kubrows?

If that is the case why don't we see more variety in the patches? I dont know when the last update was for Dojos or archwing was but it sure wasn't recent.  It's sad that many aspects seem to appear to be put on back burners on this game.  I know sharkwing (?) is coming but there are a TON of tweaks that could of been added to archwing in the meantime that could of been tested, if these things have not been added when you add that then it will be hated again.  Also the Dojo situation is sad, it almost enver gets additions even though it's one of the easiest things to add stuff too (also make a personal housing version) >.>.

Also I really wish you guys would have the CGI team working on story additions to the game instead of the advertising CGI you currently make.

Edited by Spindle99

Because all 170* employees are behind warframe.

Right?

Today there are nearly 200 people working on Warframe, each with their own unique contribution in seeing Space Ninja combat grow.  Join us in taking a look back at how far we’ve come since its humble origins in this Infographic highlighting the many changes.  It’s been a long road travelled, but we’re happy to have shared every step of this journey with alongside our players.

Friday December 12, 2014

Yes I know 30/200 are customer service / admins / forum staff and not direct developers but that's still 170 full time developers.

Not quite sure why this nitpicking was necessary.

Edited by Spindle99

<snip>

Old argument is old.

Yes, lets have ALL of the staff work on things that many of them have no CLUE how to do. Every SINGLE staff member of DE work on updates for Warframe. All of the people who are working on OTHER DE projects have to shelve that to work on Warframe. And all of the people who are NOT coders have to stop whatever they are doing and start coding even if they have no skill at it because they don't NEED it for their jobs.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

They keep the regular patches small for a REASON. Changes in game coding often have unexpected consequences not matter HOW many man hours are put into testing. All this crud about 'stealth nerfs'? Most of the ones that people are screaming about are from changes in the code having unintended effects.

Hence why WE are here. To report said bugs so they can be addressed.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. People want what they want and want it NOW! I get it. I do not agree with that and many others agree with me. That is NOT the way the real world works.

/thread

Edited by Kalenath

They said they have 170 developers working on Warframe.  Also as I said, they have teams for everything.

If they don't and most of those people are working on their new game then ok I can accept that would be why but they have not said that have they?

This has been discussed ad nauseum. People want what they want and want it NOW! I get it. I do not agree with that and many others agree with me. That is NOT the way the real world works.

Well it's still an issue so it hasn't been discussed enough maybe?  Also vast numbers of bugs are reported and many have been there for years.

Edited by Spindle99

-snip-

And yet no rework to enemy LoS and detection system to ever accommodate for better stealth play. It's been almost ages since the game was out for people to play (from CBT to now). Why? Funny thing is that DE doesn't want it to be reworked. They are satisfied with the current LoS and detection system and thus generally do not pay any heed to it being broke as hell even as many of us players agree that it doesn't really work for stealth play.

EDIT: Sure, you can make the statement that what I said about DE isn't true and that they might be working on improving LoS but the fact remains that over more than 2 years and LoS and detection system has never once been changed to accommodate for better stealth play. Instead, things like more action-packed gameplay and damage numbers has been greatly promoted. 8-player raid, massive G3-Golem battle, boss rework are among the current inside works that are confirmed and these are meant to add more action but does little to actual stealth play itself.

Edited by matrixEXO

It just sucks honestly that failry minor reworks or changes to archwing would change it from annoying and boring to fun, yet it gets little changes.

Same for Dojos (quite why they don't make personal housing versions is beyond me since it's a huge money maker)

I mean what do we expect in this weeks patch?  A cloth syndana?  It's nice and all but what about if they did some stuff for Archwing/ dojo / kubs or something everyone would be far more impressed.

Edited by Spindle99

And yet no rework to enemy LoS and detection system to ever accommodate for better stealth play. It's been almost ages since the game was out for people to play (from CBT to now). Why? Funny thing is that DE doesn't want it to be reworked. They are satisfied with the current LoS and detection system and thus generally do not pay any heed to it being broke as hell even as many of us players agree that it doesn't really work for stealth play.

Yes, we want them to change what we want, Now. Because we want it. I get it and I even agree,

But asking a records clerk or accountant to work on game code is just plain STUPID.

Yes, we want them to change what we want, Now. Because we want it. I get it and I even agree,

But asking a records clerk or accountant to work on game code is just plain STUPID.

No. It's been going for too long. 2 long years and an ever-expanding staff roster. I won't say that I want a clerk or accountant to even work on game code because, like you said, it's plain stupid. However, even with the first year of smaller team members aside, the one year that could be put into reworking the LoS and detection system for better stealth play could have been done and it could have reached a progress that can be said as demonstrable by now, at the very least.

Mind, demonstrable doesn't mean it's perfected or fully functioning. It can be as crude and broken but it can suffice to show the people that actual work is done.

Edited by matrixEXO

170 developers. (coders / graphics artists / cgi teams / sound deps)

30 other staff (this is the stuff you're on about).

Also as was said they say that 170 developers work on warframe alone, not other games.

They keep the regular patches small for a REASON. Changes in game coding often have unexpected consequences not matter HOW many man hours are put into testing. All this crud about 'stealth nerfs'? Most of the ones that people are screaming about are from changes in the code having unintended effects.

/thread

If you believe everykind of lies why not I'll teleport myself to pony land , so can you tell me why Nova & Rhino got stealth nerf? just those two?

Of course they did'nt get fixed , and I do no believe that those change was not intended , and I can almost say I'm sure that they do Stealth nerf to avoid rage and people quitting because there favorite stuff get over nerfed 

Actually I barely see this topic brought up... And TC has a good point... My only guess is that the majority of the team are working on new unannounced or unreleased content... Like crap were gonna see past U18 and such... He'll maybe entire new systems like Archwing.

That didn't just come together they were secretly working on Archwing in secret for months, so I'm assuming the a good chunk of that 170 ppl are working on unannounced stuff, sentients, other raids, other game environments, now there's a dedicated pvp team so yeah. Probably down the road, and soon to be around the corner stuff.

And it isn't enough... It never is.

Which is why the assumption is that they actually have no QC department. So many bugs and problems that crop up with each new major (and some, sub) patches and DE keeps pushing new 'stuff' to 'liven' the game at the expense of cleaner and better updates. Why even need to liven the game up every new major/sub-major patch if your game can actually hold itself? Reason being that it can't actually hold itself up. PvE content where the PvE doesn't really mean anything once you reach a certain rank or set goal. PvP content that is so separate from the PvE that it doesn't really matter and it doesn't really excite anyone.

An example I would use 'sparingly' is Destiny. Playing PvP does grant XP towards leveling your gear, no matter how low level they are (although going PvE is a way faster means to leveling it up). Additionally, you can get some weapons and gears that are only available from PvP but is also usable in PvE. Lastly, you can get legendary weapons and gears from PvP, if you are lucky.

What does Warframe's PvP game offer players? Mediocre cash rewards, fusion cores that aren't all that desirable and the requirement to actually put effort to farm XP for a PvP-only faction to level up said faction to the max while only benefittng PvP. As for leveling weapons and/or warframe while playing PvP, I haven't tested it since most of what I have are maxed out and easily through PvE.

Edited by matrixEXO

You guy forget that there is a chinese warframe so now they work on that, and leave the pc and console ports behind. We will still see small updates and maybe new weapons every 2-3 weeks and some bigger updates every 2-3 months but thats it.

Steve : 'Hey guys, those new weapon designs, how are they coming along?'

Design guys: 'Pretty good, some are near completed, we have several more being worked on with the animation teams and the sound guys are working on a whole bunch of audio for the stuff we have coming up with U17. We also have some of the older weapons going through PBR processing'

Steve: 'That's great. Now,I need you get it all ready for inclusion in the next hotfix because somebody on the forums says that's how we should work'

Repeat with each department.

Edited by 2old4gamez

You guy forget that there is a chinese warframe so now they work on that, and leave the pc and console ports behind. We will still see small updates and maybe new weapons every 2-3 weeks and some bigger updates every 2-3 months but thats it.

I thought it's universally the same? Uses PC and it is also the same or almost the same as what we are getting plus/minus some other stuffs.

Probably because they're pacing their work, already working on stuff for 16.5, 17, beyond, etc.

Do you honestly expect 1GB+ updates every month?

Year of quality remember. I would think this would be the year they would stop pacing there work for later and try oh I don't no dish it out this year maybe? could we be expecting U17 this year?