Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Are Patches So Small If The Dev Team Is So Big?

Spindle99

If it were that simple to release large amounts of quality content, we would. RX8rLLt.jpg

Most people don't realize how hard programing actually is, as someone who has taken many c++ and programing courses at a local university I know that the amount of coding is phenomimaly larger than what it actually puts out.

Just trying to make a program to display simple words such as "Hello World" took me 1 hour to figure out the first time, and god forbid you get syntax errors.

lol, this thread is... facepalm. If you check an update, the executable (the code itself) is the smallest part. It just doesn't work like you put +200 devs on the coding, and an update size is exploding. The update size is depending on mainly new/reworked assets (graphics, sounds). Those things are the heavyweight stuff. I prefer smaller update sizes with a lot of info on additions/chages/fixes than a huge blob of new things with no actual fixes.

This is a case that is true across every single form of media.

A 30 minute television show can take a day or more to film and that isn't including the script-writing process.

A 10 minute paper you write for some class can take days or even a few weekends depending on how much research you need to do.

A 3 minute pop song can take weeks to get right and proper from start to finish if not longer.

Hell, if you've ever seen Futurama, there is a specific episode that brings this up. You know the one about the canceled TV show that was only just reaching Omicron Persei 8? Remember when Fry says he thought it would take 30 minutes to film his scrip because it had taken 30 minutes to write?

Content creation in any form of media has a 10:1 rule of thumb for how long it takes for something to be made versus how long it takes for someone to go through it.

And, of course, this is all assuming that a writer or coder or painter or singer or whatever doesn't take some time every now and then to consume other forms of media for ideas or inspiration or ways to self improve. It's just a fact of life.

Oh Spindle...

Why do you make such strange,misinformed and bizarre threads?

Honestly all I see here is flamebait and nothing even remotely accurate or productive.

Maybe at worst you've demonstrated your lack of understanding in how game development works (not that I'm an expert)

It would help to use "White Knight" in the correct context.

When you have to resort to accusing people of White Knighting right off the bat its a sign that you don't actually have anything constructive to say or any substance in your argument.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Most people don't realize how hard programing actually is, as someone who has taken many c++ and programing courses at a local university I know that the amount of coding is phenomimaly larger than what it actually puts out.

Just trying to make a program to display simple words such as "Hello World" took me 1 hour to figure out the first time, and god forbid you get syntax errors.

I have done coding. NEVER again. I am crazy enough as it IS.

The fact that DE puts out updates almost every WEEK is INSANE. People WONDER why Scott and Steve are always drinking during the devstreams? One guess. A LITTLE bit of stress those guys are under.

Edited by Kalenath

Oh Spindle...

Why do you make such strange,misinformed and bizarre threads?

Honestly all I see here is flamebait and nothing even remotely accurate or productive.

Maybe at worst you've demonstrated you're lack of understanding in how game development works (not that I'm an expert)

It would help to use "White Knight" in the correct context.

When you have to resort to accusing people of White Knighting right off the bat its a sign that you don't actually have anything constructive to say or any substance in your argument.

I actually asked him the same thing in another thread and he said I've got some sick fascination with him.

Hey, OP. Look at the entire feedback section of the forums. Count how many different sections thy have. In that section alone, ignoring everything else, do you think ~170 people can fix those things, create new content, manage existing content and keep the day to day tasks flowing regularly, with no mistakes, 10 hours a day?

Hey, OP. Look at the entire feedback section of the forums. Count how many different sections thy have. In that section alone, ignoring everything else, do you think ~170 people can fix those things, create new content, manage existing content and keep the day to day tasks flowing regularly, with no mistakes, 10 hours a day?

Of course he does; programming is magic to him, he suffers from a severe case of entitlement, believes everyone who disagrees with him is a white knight fanboy (passively implying that we're wrong) and likely believes he owns all the games he buys. 

--- merge ---

Why do I get the feeling that the image is an understatement?

It is. :( 

Edited by Kenboushou

I've never worked for a game company but I have modded/coded for other games in my free time. Let me tell you, even the simplest of things take a lot of work to make, mind you that is assuming you don't actually break something else in the process or what you made outright works from the get go. Small changes still need to be thoroughly tested from their or there will be hell to pay from the end user. 

I've had the misfortune to work with coding in C because of my engineering major. There's a reason colleges use coding as a weed out in engineering courses. Almost every time I play, I can't fathom the amount of coding work that went into the game, especially compared to how difficult much simpler things seemed to me. The code may make perfect sense, yet still not work the way you want, fixing it can break other things, and the will power it takes to keep working on it rather than calling a compromise is great. Keep at it DE, you crazy SOB's. XD

Edited by curtisngl

It's a miracle this has not been locked yet...

Well, I'm an IT guy. OP, Have you ever heard that if a person can build a house in 200 days, does not mean a house can be built in 1 day by 200 people?

Just another another obvious observation people don't know software development don't seem to understand.

You don't have a clue about how complex something like Warframe is.

Edited by nmuaddib

If it were that simple to release large amounts of quality content, we would. 

RX8rLLt.jpg

I understand that but the updates never seem to vary much and it's always a very narrow type of addition, really sad that stuff like Archwing and Dojo seem to get no love.  So much money spent on making Archwing and almost everyone hates it.

Well, I'm an IT guy. OP, Have you ever heard that if a person can build a house in 200 days, does not mean a house can be built in 1 day by 200 people?

Nice analogy. The crazier thing is that when people work separately on different pieces of code, they have to make sure everyone stays consistent with the right variables and such too.

OP makes good points, yet people never fail to blindly defend this company. Reminds me of Nintendo fans.

It is odd to see U13 to U14 and U14 to U15 only take 3 months, for example, then  have U16 take 5 months only to have equal to or even less content than the previous two. Especially when the staff has only increased over time. 

There's also the case of bugs still being around for over 2 years (explosions going through walls, volt shield, and snowglobe for example).

I don't think anyone thinks that the devs aren't working, because they'd be fired otherwise. Though when the results are this low quality, then of course it will make players question what you're doing. Then saying that this year will be the "Year of Quality" just gives people more ammo to fire shots at you.

I know it's only 4 months into the year currently, but so far the updates and hotfixes have just offered less content overall, and the same old bugs as before. I think a change of coding priorities is in order if your team is indeed working on things beyond U17 already.

I understand that but the updates never seem to vary much and it's always a very narrow type of addition, really sad that stuff like Archwing and Dojo seem to get no love.  So much money spent on making Archwing and almost everyone hates it.

Maybe true, but then they would get complaints that they never focus on fixing bugs, which is way more important to the quality of the game.