The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Melee] Rapier

_Chaser

What? another sword? we have many of those, and this would be just another sub par one... until we see a rework that is. i would be more keen to halbred's or bardiche style. Hel even a Sickle whip chain and a war hammer would be sweet. ohh you know what would be awesome? the Dragon slayer from the Manga Berserk!

Edited by OvAeons

The only reason I see against adding rapiers is that it would need to be done correctly; new animations would have to be made to support the fighting style associated with the Rapier.

The only reason we have so many katana or "ninja" weapons is because those animations were made and naturally a developer isn't going to make those animations and then only have one weapon that is compatible with them. That would be a silly waste of time. At the same time the argument that every weapon in this game has to have an eastern flair to it is quickly and easily dismissed by the dozens of firearms and melee weapons that are already in the game which don't (Vasto, any shotgun, smgs, friggin' rocket launchers). People are taking coincidence as rule. 

The only rule in video games that really matters is the Rule of Cool. 

So yeah, assuming that Rapiers could be done properly I see no reason not to have them. I wouldn't use one because I prefer manly swords, but to each his own. 

they added a new set of animations for the kogake, i don´t see why not with a rapier

you know, i think i'd like a Rapier. i'd like to see how i like it in Warframe. 

and, i proabably would. 

Rapiers are also quick agile weapons, making sense for a fast paced 'space ninjas' game. 

granted, historical Rapiers are too flimsy to pierce combat grade armor like this, but if we build it a bit heavier, it becomes like having a spear or harpoon, but in more manageable, carryable form. 

way i see it:

- APdmg ofc (and a considerably high amount)

- medium range

- two handed (most likely)

- quick attacks would be more of a shove, but still slashing at the enemy (despite that being quite ineffective since it's a Rapier)

- charge attacks would have a very short charge time, very quick sword movements, and pierce forwards. possibly some cleaving bonus if it kills the enemy. i'm thinking 100% stagger on charge attacks.

- ground smashes... poke the Rapier into the ground like many do already, and have a very small knockdown area. like a 1m radius.

- spin dashes... 360° spin slash i guess, but honestly it would be mostly for movement, the slash will be very... not effective. (hoping i'll be able to use a Rapier sort of weapon as a decent mobility as well as that poking damage)

attack rate of 1.5? sounds fair to me.

it's certainly unique, which is what Warframe needs as much as possible of. unique equipment that sets itself apart. 

edit:

The only reason I see against adding rapiers is that it would need to be done correctly; new animations would have to be made to support the fighting style associated with the Rapier.

Bladestorm is getting about 5000 animations for it. JUST Bladestorm. i think digital Extremes is okay with having more animations xD

also, holy necro. but, kudos for just bumping the thread instead of wasting server space making a new one.

Edited by taiiat

As much as I love these types of weapons (It's hard for me to not use them in any game that has them), I don't think Warframe would be the right game for it right now. When it comes down to it, Warframe's melee system is very simplistic and no matter the weapon you choose you're going to want to be able to hit more than one enemy to great effect.

Most single-target weapons, primarily the longswords, simply suck right now and frankly adding a thrusting sword would only serve as a neat distraction that probably can't amount to much of anything besides possible CC in the form of stagger or whatever. Of course, then it may just be the Kogake in a different form.

Mind you, if DE actually does bring longswords up in usefulness in some meaningful way, then I'll absolutely want to main the weapon. I was actually the one that asked when longswords would be buffed two livestreams ago, so it's definitely something I'm wanting more than many things in this game.

I think you've missed the point of my post. I'm not calling a rapier a longsword (it really isn't in the technical sense anyway), I'm just saying that given the state of longswords a rapier weapon, being a single-target weapon like longswords in this game, would likely be limited by how DE has been handling those types of weapons.

If the supposed rework of longswords goes through, then a rapier type weapon would likely benefit from the changes in the system. Right now there is a ton more incentive, outside of "swag", to use dual weapons and large weapons that hit more than one opponent. I wouldn't be happy with only swag.

I think you've missed the point of my post. I'm not calling a rapier a longsword (it really isn't in the technical sense anyway), I'm just saying that given the state of longswords a rapier weapon, being a single-target weapon like longswords in this game, would likely be limited by how DE has been handling those types of weapons.

If the supposed rework of longswords goes through, then a rapier type weapon would likely benefit from the changes in the system. Right now there is a ton more incentive, outside of "swag", to use dual weapons and large weapons that hit more than one opponent. I wouldn't be happy with only swag.

I would be happy with only swag.

There's Dakka Prime now. /Thread

Too much grind to get it. Side view of the Dakka doesn't look like a rapier, so it's just a rapier wannabe.

gotta have kusarigama before this !

Not a chance. I would only agree with the it comes with the overrated katana.

To all the "uh oh ninjas it doesn't fit" n stuff...stuff.

You realize that there was a time before the modernization of Japan that the white people brought their own weapons and tools into play in Japan... so of course there are exclusive weapons...but Rapiers are in no way something a ninja wouldn't know...just sayin'

Also rocket launchers and machineguns aren't very ninja like.

Not to mention this isn't a ninja game.... this is a space ninja game!

they added a new set of animations for the kogake, i don´t see why not with a rapier

Yeah, the saving grace for the rapier idea is that whoever they seem to have doing animations is apparently pretty efficient at it. Traditionally 3-d animation is one of the harder things for game companies to do but I guess mo-cap technology has come a long way since the days of everquest. I really don't see any reason a rapier couldn't be in the game then save for popularity. 

• 3 weeks later...

1. It's a bit of a waste of resources to produce a whole set of animations for only one weapon. You're going to need to to come up with a whole set of weapons with a common unique feature and enough variation to warrant the effort,

Well they made a whole unique animation set for the orthos. So you're point is invalid.

Hold up guys this would totally work say if we were space pirates.  Sorry bud but unless the new frame coming out is a Female Scurvy Dog i dont' see this coming EVER.

I hold all rights and priviledges to any ideas taken and or related to that of the theme Space Pirates(Patent Pending).  For further information pls contact my lawyer at 1-800-100-0000. 

Rapier is a duelling, not a battlefield weapon essentially end of story.

a DUELING Rapier is for dueling, not a Rapier actually designed for combat.

Rapiers designed for combat exist, by the way. they aren't that commonly used but they certainly exist.

a DUELING Rapier is for dueling, not a Rapier actually designed for combat.

Rapiers designed for combat exist, by the way. they aren't that commonly used but they certainly exist.

From a readily available source; wikipedia

The rapier began to develop around 1500 as the Spanish espada ropera, or "dress sword".The espada ropera was a cut-and-thrust civilian weapon for self-defence and the duel, while earlier weapons were equally at home on the battlefield.

As military-style cutting and thrusting swords continued to evolve to meet needs on the battlefield, so did the rapier continue to evolve to meet the needs of civilian combat and decorum, eventually becoming lighter, shorter and less cumbersome to wear. This is when the rapier began to give way to the small sword.

Rapier was designed as civilian self-defence weapon and for duelling, it was evolved to further suit the demands of this use. It was not a battlefield weapon. Your use of the word 'combat' is poor, as combat encapsulates any scenario with combatants, which would include a duel. It was designed to kill or injure yes, it wasn't designed to do it on a battlefield.