Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Quality of Life Checklist

astrobird

got rid of cover system (jesus christ people, calm down I haven't eaten your children yet.)

got rid of a few environmental things

got rid of extraneous bits

clarifies some items

We need more ideas and more discussion

Good, Well-Thought-Out, Posts:

ArcanumMBD

CapricaSix

Rude_

Unimpressive, LOL-Didn't-Read, Posts:

Appajak

Comatose

The_Doc

Edited by astrobird

got rid of cover system (jesus christ people, calm down I haven't eaten your children yet.)

clarifies some items

We need more ideal and more discussion

Proper skill trees for warframes. Similiar to Borderlands or Mass Effect.

clarifies some items

ArcanumMBD

CapricaSix

Rude_

Appajak

Comatose

The_Doc

Did my suggestions just not get read, or...?

For clarification, this is about the two posts I made on page 1, regarding the enemy balancing and Infested ideas.

And heck, consider the high-kick idea too; it'd be nice to have some way to stumble enemies and interrupt attacks (probably while doing no damage so players don't just spam it) as an alternate to the seemingly heavy arial attack we currently have, which legitly takes like 2 seconds to recover from. That should be the arial 'heavy attack'.

Edited by Swizzlestix

-Would like to have grenades with an additional equip slot. The enemy throws nades at *us* to flush us from cover - I want to do the same.

-Would like a Block button, on several occasions I've found myself fumbling to block an incoming attack before remembering there IS no "block" move. To prevent infinite blocking either give it a short cooldown or make it breakable by mutiple hits, or maybe it consumes stamina like sprinting does.

Edited by Slayblaze

Did my suggestions just not get read, or...?

For clarification, this is about the two posts I made on page 1, regarding the enemy balancing and Infested ideas.

And heck, consider the high-kick idea too; it'd be nice to have some way to stumble enemies and interrupt attacks (probably while doing no damage so players don't just spam it) as an alternate to the seemingly heavy arial attack we currently have, which legitly takes like 2 seconds to recover from. That should be the arial 'heavy attack'.

I wanted to have an even amount of Good and bad examples. Your ideas were read and I added a note about infested

I wanted to have an even amount of Good and bad examples. Your ideas were read and I added a note about infested

Ahh. they were examples, okay, my bad. :)

And what about the idea of the Corpus having Shields? (Not physical shields, shield technology like the WarFrames have) Would definitely buff their defensive capabilities towards more balanced with the Grineer.

Edited by Swizzlestix

clarifies some items

ArcanumMBD

CapricaSix

Rude_

Appajak

Comatose

The_Doc

Was there something i said that you didn't understand or chose at random to hate on?

Was there something i said that you didn't understand or chose at random to hate on?

random? *laughs * no no no, I choose your post to exemplify as a bad part not for what you did, but rather what you didn't do, which is read the thread's opening post. You listed a point already addressed in the op.

But please by all means, choose me as your scapegoat for your insufficiencies, if it helps you out in any way.

Hold crap he finally read the post.

Third times the charm I guess

Before I forget, how does everyone feel about sliding and aerial mobility? You think it's fine add is, or could it use a bit more attention

Edited by astrobird

Before I forget, how does everyone feel about sliding and aerial mobility? You think it's fine add is, or could it use a bit more attention

I agree with slide doing damage or at least staggers those you hit if you're going fast enough.

Maybe also when in air. Having a warframe into your face... It might hurt.

Here are a couple of my thoughts:

Hotkeys for inventory items, instead of pressing Q (or whatever bind) to bring up the interupting menu.

I mentioned it in my general impressions, but I would like to see a couple different color corrections to choose from ie. a Matrixy green look, a bluish look, perhaps even a low saturation look (though I could do that with my monitor). I would even say that a couple different bloom level options would be cool too.

A scalable and customizable (within reason) ingame UI. Some examples; Maybe I don't really care to see the actual numbers my damage is doing, I already see the effects on the enemies health/shield bar. Maybe I want a bigger/smaller minimap (scaled, not seeing more area). Maybe I don't want the little pictures of my weapon/warframe. Maybe I want gauges, numbers, or both for shields/health/ammo etc.

And a +1 to selling mods from the upgrade tree menu. I get tired of having to memorize which mods to sell, which ones to keep for that mod slot I am about to unlock.

Cover system

I say no to that, I don't want the game to engourage people to use cover. I don't want this game to go to that direction, when we're just shooting from behind a cover at enemies that also are ducking behind a cover.

But the thing is, that at the moment the game actually engourages use of cover.

We've got guns, so do our enemies. Also those enemies are often behind a cover. Why wouldn't you stay in the cover yourself as well?

Change the game so that we've got more aggressive enemies. Really aggressive. Enemies that will come to get you out from your cover. They have to be much more aggressive. Also they need grenades. They got those already, that's a good thing.

Warframe should be a game where you CAN'T stay in the cover, you'd have to be on the move, DODGING bullets. Otherwise players are simply engouraged to stay behind a cover and want a cover system implemented to Warframe.

Your right, the game needs more ways to bring people out of cover.

But as you said, if you hide behind cover you get grenades to the face, and they actually hurt quite a bit.

And, Infested who dont have grenades dont encourage cover at all.

Also theres the robots for corpus that come biting your &#! if you hide too much, and the melee Grineer dudes that although die quickly, hurt as hell if they can get some hits on you.

A cover system doesnt have to encourage people to use cover and hide behind it shooting bullets. First of all everyone would run out of ammo quickly and be forced out so it wouldnt be a good idea anyways. And second, as you said, right now people are using cover anyways. why not implement a way for them to look around corners instead of moving in and out of cover manually all the time? thats all I think there should be in this game, a way to peek around corners or above crates, a lean button, something. .

Dont you think a super sci-fi space ninja that keeps running left and right looks silly?

- Make a buffer between your shield breaks and signifigant HP damage (Case in point, even if you eat Jackal's grenade point blank, it will ALWAYS leave you at positive HP. (this is to prevent instagibbing, which is the number one cause of anti-fun) Sidenote: the buffer will keep you at a LOW hp, but not a SURVIVABLE amount. Long cooldown

AKA Shield Gating. I approve of this quite highly. There are lots of great ideas in your post, but this one certainly stands out to me the most. No one wants to be instagibbed. This isn't Unreal Tournament...

EDIT: Reading some other comments, I think I need to add some notes here. I've recorded a couple matches where I was fighting Jackal. On two different occasions, I was at full health and shields when the grenade volley landed. In the first instance, it landed roughly 50 feet away, killing me instantly. In the second instance, it landed roughly 250 feet away (basically the farthest distance possible) and STILL killed me instantly. Maybe this is terrible luck on my part, but the fact is that I went down at full health/shields even while having armor stacked, from one grenade volley. Shield Gate: please add it. It would make boss fights much more sane.

Edited by Chrysalis

Combat

-Increase the grenade fuse timers to at least 4-5s. {it's just too quick, they throw it and it explodes after what, 2 seconds? That is mental! even if we had grenade warning indicators, I doubt we'd be able to get away in time}

One thing about giving invincibility to warframes while rolling around though, I think there should be either a somewhat lengthy recovery time after the first roll, or some sort of "stamina bar" so we won't be rolling our way through the enemies 24/7. I can so see it being overused, it'd look very silly.

You could do it like Vanquish-every subsequent roll after the first within a certain period of time has reduced invulnerability frames. Vanquish has extremely well-tuned mechanics and everyone making a third person shooter should at least look at it with a game design eye. Maybe you'll use some of its design, maybe not, but a lot of it is interesting.

You could do it like Vanquish-every subsequent roll after the first within a certain period of time has reduced invulnerability frames. Vanquish has extremely well-tuned mechanics and everyone making a third person shooter should at least look at it with a game design eye. Maybe you'll use some of its design, maybe not, but a lot of it is interesting.

Until stamina drain becomes significant, it's going to looks really stupid to see everyone just rolling around.

Until stamina drain becomes significant, it's going to looks really stupid to see everyone just rolling around.

I don't see why it needs any sort of stamina drain. Just make sprinting somewhat faster and make sprinting not drain stamina. Thus if people want to get around in a timely fashion, they'll sprint. Add a short recovery time to rolls if necessary to encourage people to only use them to dodge instead of attempting to get persistent invincibility.

I've gotten people saying that sprint needs to use stamina to balance melee except melee is already weaker than gunplay and they're claiming "if you know anything about melee you can still easily get into range quickly", which means it's not doing that. What it is currently doing is slowing down the game and the pace of movement.

The CoD limited sprint mechanics are designed specifically to emphasize in that game that you're supposed to be sprinting from cover to cover. Whereas in Warframe you should be capable of sprinting and dodging down an open area with plenty of enemies on the other side and swording/punching them all to death if you're good enough or overleveled.

Edited by MJ12

I don't see why it needs any sort of stamina drain. Just make sprinting somewhat faster and make sprinting not drain stamina. Thus if people want to get around in a timely fashion, they'll sprint. Add a short recovery time to rolls if necessary to encourage people to only use them to dodge instead of attempting to get persistent invincibility.

I've gotten people saying that sprint needs to use stamina to balance melee except melee is already weaker than gunplay and they're claiming "if you know anything about melee you can still easily get into range quickly", which means it's not doing that. What it is currently doing is slowing down the game and the pace of movement.

The CoD limited sprint mechanics are designed specifically to emphasize in that game that you're supposed to be sprinting from cover to cover. Whereas in Warframe you should be capable of sprinting and dodging down an open area with plenty of enemies on the other side and swording/punching them all to death if you're good enough or overleveled.

Completely agree with you on stamina so far. But what I meant was as of now stamina drains a lot when jumping, sprinting, etc. It only stops sprinting infinitely so far, but doesn't drain at all for rolling. If we had invincibility frames on rolling everyone would just be rolling everywhere. A stamina drain would stop rolling spam like in Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. But even with invincibility frames and recovery times, enemies attack so fast it'd literally only be useful for grenades. This game right now isn't about dodging the big attacks like Vanquish and Dark Souls, it's a shooter.

Completely agree with you on stamina so far. But what I meant was as of now stamina drains a lot when jumping, sprinting, etc. It only stops sprinting infinitely so far, but doesn't drain at all for rolling. If we had invincibility frames on rolling everyone would just be rolling everywhere. A stamina drain would stop rolling spam like in Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. But even with invincibility frames and recovery times, enemies attack so fast it'd literally only be useful for grenades. This game right now isn't about dodging the big attacks like Vanquish and Dark Souls, it's a shooter.

I don't see why the game can't be more about dodging big attacks. Give some enemies big attacks with obvious lead-up times, especially bosses. Then allow people to dodge them.

Anyways, you don't need Stamina to be drained on a roll. Max Payne's shootdodge, for example, drained nothing. But after you finished it, you were vulnerable for a period of time. ME3's dodges don't drain anything either, they just make you vulnerable for a time after execution. The exceptions are the Asari and N7 Slayer dodges, which are balanced by the fact that they drain shields.

I don't see why the game can't be more about dodging big attacks. Give some enemies big attacks with obvious lead-up times, especially bosses. Then allow people to dodge them.

Anyways, you don't need Stamina to be drained on a roll. Max Payne's shootdodge, for example, drained nothing. But after you finished it, you were vulnerable for a period of time. ME3's dodges don't drain anything either, they just make you vulnerable for a time after execution. The exceptions are the Asari and N7 Slayer dodges, which are balanced by the fact that they drain shields.

Max Payne didn't have invincibility frames, bullet velocity was just slow to begin with, and bullet time made it easier to see.

But I agree, bosses like Tyl Regor and Golem should be revamped into bosses with big attacks. Invincibility frames is only good against bosses like that anyways, so until bosses become like that, invincibility is a no-no.

And if DE doesn't want invicibility frames, but decides to make bosses with big attacks, I guess they'd end up putting energy shields or random cover to just get out of the way.

I do like quite a lot of these ideas and improvements! In regards to rolling and the like, at present, is there really any use or reason to use to it, other than being able to do it? You can sprint and duck behind boxes just as fast, at present. Adding some function to rolling (such as a few invincibility frames) might add some more depth and tactics in regards to gameplay. I can see that at present, since rolling doesn't reduce stamina, that can be abused, but adding a stamina requirement for rolling would be a very trivial thing to implement, as well as encouraging it's use for the tougher bosses and the like. Even if it weren't invincibility, but a higher defense rating or damage dampening effect would be nice.

Further down the track of WarFrame's Development, I could easily imagine there would be even bigger, badder bosses which would require everybody to be able to use their warframe to it's full extent.

Conceptually, I do rather like the idea that when an enemy is alerted, they cry out, alerting enemies within a certain radius around them. If you manage to hide and get away, they continue searching, but don't instantly find you again, allowing you to continue towards your destination in a stealthy (although still more difficult since they're actively trying to locate you) manner.

In such scenarios, it would be cool if there were informant type enemies that run to other blocks of the ship to alert enemies. As an extension to that, if they thought that the Tenno were overtaking the area directly behind them, they might try to break a window in a room connecting between the one you're in and the one they are trying to reach in order to impede your progress and create a physical barrier between you and them. Kinda like cutting off an infected limb to save the whole, they would sacrifice a connecting room of the ship, to try and prevent you from getting further inside.

I agree with Tetsmeha on everything he just said.

Also

User Interface

- Making the Private Games actually private. Instead of just keeping them as "Public Games only for friends". As in having the ability to invite someone in particular with an "/invite" command maybe and more importantly getting a notification and an approval when someone in your friendlist is trying to join you. It doesn't have to be a popup window as that could damage our gameplay greatly, but maybe a small text on some corner saying something like:

" 'DERebecca' wants to join your squad

press PgUp to accept, press PgDn to decline"

Can we get a more detail mission result screen? Like showing resources gained from the mission, details on the mods we got from the mission. Right now the mission result after you finished the run is quite redundant with the one showed when we got to extraction and we just close it right away.