The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone Ever Worked At Target?

(PSN)TheArrowOfGod

Well I really have no right or proper capability to give good advice. I'd personally just say be confident and hopeful. Good luck!

EDIT: Ok I really can't resist... apologies ahead of time.

I hear there's this guy Alex that works there, ask him ;)

Edited by Stratego89

Other than dress decent and be clean?  It's been over a decade since I worked there, but I would say make good eye contact, and generally present with a good attitude.  Imagine the guy/gal you like to be helped by when you go in a store.

Edit: also Archistopheles up there speaks great wisdom lol.

Edited by (PS4)geomancer1980

I work at Lowes... as a heavy merchandise loader. 

My shoulders hit rank 30 in no time. 

On a more serious note, the best thing I can say is never stress out and remember the sequence for helping customers with questions. 

1. Find out what the question is.

2. Can you answer it yourself? If not, find an employee who's been there longer than you or consult another reputable resource.

3. If you consult another employee. Stay around and listen to pick up new info.

The more you know about the job, the better you will perform. The better you perform, the more potential you have for raises or promotions to positions like a department manager. 

Also, NEVER overstress your lower back. I'm one of the only dedicated Loaders at my store that's never had an on-the-job injury. But I hear dislocated spinal cartilage disks aren't very fun to deal with. 

Edited by Plasmaface

I've worked at Target for three years; however as far as interviews they can go, it's sporadic.

Different people from different perspectives with different questions will interview you. At most, you should be speaking with three people. They will all be from different sections of the store and consist of different backgrounds of working applications, and will ask you questions, generically, regarding situations they themselves may be involved in and how to handle them.

Your sure-fire responses will always be something in regards to teamwork and flexibility and sincerity. Target (by policy) wants the best experience for their guests (customers). They emphasize that term more than anything, so refer to it as much as possible.

Initiative, sincerity and flexibility -- and the ability to show them to the guests -- are your biggest aspects.

I know you're shooting for the backroom/flow/stocking team, but you play just as big of a role on the floor as anyone else, and will be viewed as a greater asset if you show them this instead of just expecting to simply stock merchandise.

First of all, wear a blue shirt and tan khakis. Show you are a hipster against their competitor Best-Buy by wearing their uniform! Target will love it.

The boss may laugh at first, but no matter how much you display your love for the color blue, the slip you'll walk out with will be pink. 

If I do get the job i'll buy plat and send you some >_>

Lol, appreciate the offer and sportsmanship. :-) 

Best advice for an interview, having been in plenty, and done plenty of them.

Think before you speak, try not to stutter and talk too much, but don't talk too little.

Ask intelligent questions and show you are sincere in wanting to work for them (if you actually are).

Don't start an interview asking how many hours they are wanting you to work, or how much you will get paid, those questions should come in the middle of an interview.

When you first meet them, thank them for the time to meet and interview you, because they have plenty of other work they can be doing, and it shows that you understand that they are giving you an opportunity and you value their time.

When you end the interview, end it with asking them if they will contact you with whatever decision they make, so you will know even if you don't get the job, or if you will need to contact them again. (Once again showing a genuine interest). If they covered this information in the interview, verify the methods they told you that they will contact you. (i.e. "Earlier you said you would call if you would be offering me a position, do you know a time frame in which you will be making a decision, or do you offer any notice if I won't be offered a position?")

Then thank them for their time again. 

Although outdated, thank you cards go a long way, and sometimes if you have the person's direct e-mail address, a thank you e-mail will suffice in showing further gratitude. 

Best of luck. 

They ask basic questions. Just use common sense to answer them. Answer promptly and without stuttering. Don't be long winded.

Make sure you know what questions you want to ask them. Show them that you actually give a damn about being there rather than:

Interviewer: Why do you want to work here?

You: I needs the plats, son!

They ask basic questions. Just use common sense to answer them. Answer promptly and without stuttering. Don't be long winded.

Make sure you know what questions you want to ask them. Show them that you actually give a damn about being there rather than:

Interviewer: Why do you want to work here?

You: I needs the plats, son!

But what if they play WF too?

I've got two tips for you:

1. When you walk into the office (or wherever else the interview would be), say "Alright, let's cut the crap. You need S#&$ done and I need money."

2. Never ask me for advice again.