The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Are Ghz?

Goosmo

Question

I tried to google what it was, the only result i found was that Gigahertz means one cycle per second with no explanation to what that is. 

Does it have anything to do with pc performance?

What is low, standard, high ghz?

Pls come with an explanation that a pc newbie like me will understand.

11 answers to this question

PSA: All numbers are from memory and can be wrong!

1 Hz = One Voltage flip per 1sec

1GHz = 1024MHz = 1048576KHz = 1073741824 Hz

1GHz = 1073741824 Voltage flips per 1 sec

Conclusion: It's good when it's high^^

Edited by Fleyrion

In my case, i own a CPU I3 3.3 Ghz

The Ghz is the speed which your processor (or other Ghz device) run the information. The more Ghz doesn't entirely means it's better or faster.

For example, a dual core 3.0 Ghz is as fast as a I3 2.0 Ghz, but they work differently.

It's a very "specific" information, since depending on WHAT you're doing it will make the difference.

Overall, anything above

3.3Ghz Dual Core,

3.3 I3,

2.5 I5

2.0 I7 is decent, since in the modern technology you will have a hard time getting low Ghz.

It's not a easy thing to explain, but most of computer stuff runs on Ghz, your board speed, your RAMs, your Graphic Card, your CPU and stuff. It's the amount of information it can pass.

Not the same as Gigabytes, for example, a 2Gigabytes RAM allows you to pass up to a maximum of 2Gb at the same time, but there are RAM with 800 speed, 1600 and above, which is the SPEED of which the information goes through.

In case you wish to know better about this, i highly recommend going to a computer shop and ask there, since they will (or at least should) have better ways to explain. 

In general, the Hertz unit a measure of how often some event occurs per second. For instance, a certain computer monitor may refresh at a rate of 60Hz, which means it can completely render 60 frames per second. The prefix Giga- indicates that you are to multiply the number given by 10^9 to obtain the actual number, and is used in the metric system. The measurement of Giga-Hertz is commonly seen as a component of CPU performance, and indicates how many cycles per second that CPU can perform. I am not certain, but I believe cycles, in that case, to be floating-point operations, which basically means a fancy math problem.

Ghz is most likely about the speed of your cores, one of the most essential parts in your computer.

Basically the more Ghz, the faster you run programs.

(1,8Ghz will be slower than 2,4 Ghz)

There is also a factor in your processor about the amount of cores.

(3,2Ghz dual core is slower than 3,2Ghz quad core)

Hope this helps.

Also, Number of cores is also important.
I have an 8 Core Processor, Running 4.7 GHz per core. Which is rather high for a AMD card.

Most newer Intel cards have something called Hyperthreading, which simulates more cores. So to get roughly the same performance as my Processor, You only need an Intel with 4 Cores and Hyperthreading.

So.. the more ghz you have, the faster or more data can be sent in your pc? But isn't that what cpu does?

The faster and more data can be *processed* in your pc for a given processor architecture and family. Instructions per second is a more real measurement of computer performance than gigahertz. That's why when you build a requirements sheet for something that will intensively use resources, you have to specify the processor model or family you are linking the gigahertz requirement to. Your cpu (processor) has a clockspeed measured in gigahertz, your graphics processing unit has a clockspeed in gigahertz or megahertz. Pretty much any controller or chipset has a hertz measurement, because it's frequency.

Edited by nms64