The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea For The Future: Loyalty Rewards

Trylobyte

So, as it stands right now we have two sides fighting each other, Nerf and Salad.  As the event goes on their battle pay changes, and it's now so blatantly in favor of one side (25 rare cores vs. 50K credits) that this round is a foregone conclusion.  I know for sure a lot of people are going to jump on the Nerf bandwagon simply because the pay is amazing.

Therein lies the problem.  Tenno are supposed to be honorable folks, but there's no reason for us to actually BE loyal.  Play both sides, gain all the things, it's an objectively better choice.  There's no reward for staying true to one side and no punishment for switching back and forth however much you want so long as you have a small, arbitrary number of 'wins' for one side over the other.  It's strongly in your benefit to game both sides of the fight and profit off the conflict.

If I were the Lotus, this would alarm me.  My Tenno are so easily swayed by shiny baubles and promises of profit?  They don't commit to a course of action, they just take whatever pays better?  They're turning into the Corpus!  This would be distressing normally, but the Lotus isn't in a great position to counter those offers if the Corpus or the Grineer try doing the same thing against her.  Can the Lotus rely on her Tenno to side with her if the other side comes up with amazing pay?  It's a very real possibility if this keeps up.

That's why I propose loyalty rewards.  In future conflicts, ask the Lotus to chip in a special loyalty reward to any Tenno who picks a side and doesn't switch.  Tenno that make their choice and stick with it, never earning points for the opposing side.  Further, the more Tenno that switch sides mid-stream, the better the reward gets for those who didn't.  This adds a new dimension of risk and reward to the event - Do you grab the low-hanging fruit that's available right now, or wait to see if the Lotus will give you something even better for staying the course? 

What do you think?  Would this be a good idea?

Edited by Trylobyte

Therein lies the problem.  Tenno are supposed to be honorable folks, but there's no reason for us to actually BE loyal. 

If all it takes is a few golden potato chips dangled in front of your face, you weren't loyal in the first place.

Player problem =/= design problem

Sorry. I do not agree at all about the core crux of your argument. Not one bit.

o3o

I highly doubt most people supporting Alad were doing it for anything other than the end reward, hek that's the incentive that guides us most of the time so this is not surprising.

I did it to keep Alad V alive, even though I like the Dera better then the Karak. Kindof want to see more of him in the future. His personality is intriguing, and his mind very capable.

So, as it stands right now we have two sides fighting each other, Nerf and Salad.  As the event goes on their battle pay changes, and it's now so blatantly in favor of one side (25 rare cores vs. 50K credits) that this round is a foregone conclusion.  I know for sure a lot of people are going to jump on the Nerf bandwagon simply because the pay is amazing.

Therein lies the problem.  Tenno are supposed to be honorable folks, but there's no reason for us to actually BE loyal.  Play both sides, gain all the things, it's an objectively better choice.  There's no reward for staying true to one side and no punishment for switching back and forth however much you want so long as you have a small, arbitrary number of 'wins' for one side over the other.  It's strongly in your benefit to game both sides of the fight and profit off the conflict.

If I were the Lotus, this would alarm me.  My Tenno are so easily swayed by shiny baubles and promises of profit?  They don't commit to a course of action, they just take whatever pays better?  They're turning into the Corpus!  This would be distressing normally, but the Lotus isn't in a great position to counter those offers if the Corpus or the Grineer try doing the same thing against her.  Can the Lotus rely on her Tenno to side with her if the other side comes up with amazing pay?  It's a very real possibility if this keeps up.

That's why I propose loyalty rewards.  In future conflicts, ask the Lotus to chip in a special loyalty reward to any Tenno who picks a side and doesn't switch.  Tenno that make their choice and stick with it, never earning points for the opposing side.  Further, the more Tenno that switch sides mid-stream, the better the reward gets for those who didn't.  This adds a new dimension of risk and reward to the event - Do you grab the low-hanging fruit that's available right now, or wait to see if the Lotus will give you something even better for staying the course? 

This would be similar to syndicates right? But not permanent. Just for Events or Invasion style gts?

If all it takes is a few golden potato chips dangled in front of your face, you weren't loyal in the first place.

Player problem =/= design problem

Sorry. I do not agree at all about the core crux of your argument. Not one bit.

o3o

No, this most certainly is still a design problem. Blatant favoritism to one team is not offering freedom of choice for the players, offering blatantly superior offers for one team strongly swings all our votes in that teams favor, which why shouldn't it, the rewards are way way better and this is a loot heavy and grind heavy game, good rewards for little effort is all we've ever wanted, but in the end it is still the games staff forcing us into one direction. Sure we can choose the other team but that is made greatly unappealing through this situation. This is supposed to be an event where the community decides who wins, but when the rewards are rigged like this to guarantee a certain teams victory the only person actually deciding is the staff. 

The average casual players who make up most of Warframe population do not care about "Loyalty". For them getting shinies > roll play. Which makes them the happiest WF players because they get the most out of an event without all the headache on forum.

Forum can rage all we want. We are merely vocal minorities anyway.

Do you even know what you wrote here?

If you want to be honorable then you wouldn´t switch the sides just because one is offering better rewards.

Tennos are no honorable persons, they are just mercenaries, nothing more nothing less.

Decide for one side and fight for them or decide for the loot, but don´t cry if your chosen side offers the less valuable rewards.

That's why I propose loyalty rewards.  In future conflicts, ask the Lotus to chip in a special loyalty reward to any Tenno who picks a side and doesn't switch.  Tenno that make their choice and stick with it, never earning points for the opposing side.  Further, the more Tenno that switch sides mid-stream, the better the reward gets for those who didn't.  This adds a new dimension of risk and reward to the event - Do you grab the low-hanging fruit that's available right now, or wait to see if the Lotus will give you something even better for staying the course? 

This is nothing honorable too, again this is just what a mercenary would want, get even more loot.

I agree that there should be a downside if you switch the side, but you could make it like in Invasions, you fought 3 times for the Grineer and 1x for the Corpus would result in 2:0 and not in 3:1.

No extra reward just because you stuck with 1 faction.

Edited by Kuestenjung

I did it to keep Alad V alive, even though I like the Dera better then the Karak. Kindof want to see more of him in the future. His personality is intriguing, and his mind very capable.

I'm not saying everyone did, but let's be honest most people always do it for the loot.

the Lotus giving 'us' a choice, shes really speaking to the Tenno, and I'm assuming most players dont play into the actual role of the Tenno, they want something else: fun future events, the best weapon, immediate results(the battle pays). 

I cant blame them, everyone plays different ways, tho the idea of loyalty rewards is interesting, it might cause most of the players to lean on only one side depending on what the rewards are.

Personally, in events such as this, where the future of the ones living in this world are affected so much, I prefer to think as if I was living in it, and thus I've been helping Neffy from the start, the thought of stealing dangerous research like this to someone i cant trust isnt good imo, so ill just destroy it, Tyl can still research again so it is only a temporary setback and Alad can consider this as punishment.

But as we can see, not everyone likes to think like this.

Edited by BlazeKitteh

asking for rewards for loyalty runs counter to the whole concept of loyalty...

loyalty should be first, reward second. Most Tenno rabble are reward first, loyalty none, which is sad

its a game, but in places where you arent held accountable for your own actions, does the inner self come out uninhibited

asking for rewards for loyalty runs counter to the whole concept of loyalty...

loyalty should be first, reward second. Most Tenno rabble are reward first, loyalty none, which is sad

its a game, but in places where you arent held accountable for your own actions, does the inner self come out uninhibited

The Reward could be = but random. Guns are not =. Things like Rare Resources BPs. Bosses would have their own resource already. 

I am being loyal. To the Lotus and her notion of 'Balance'. Favour neither, but bring both low. Tenno are loyal to one another and only one another according to the lore. All we have is each other.

And to date, no one has said "have some fusion cores to turn against your 'doting mother'." Now that, that would be interesting.

No, this most certainly is still a design problem. Blatant favoritism to one team is not offering freedom of choice for the players, offering blatantly superior offers for one team strongly swings all our votes in that teams favor, which why shouldn't it, the rewards are way way better and this is a loot heavy and grind heavy game, good rewards for little effort is all we've ever wanted, but in the end it is still the games staff forcing us into one direction. Sure we can choose the other team but that is made greatly unappealing through this situation. This is supposed to be an event where the community decides who wins, but when the rewards are rigged like this to guarantee a certain teams victory the only person actually deciding is the staff. 

It's not necessarily blatant favoritism.

Look at it this way, those that are jumping ship for Nef might be risking the Karak Wraith that everyone is proclaiming they want.

It's a social experiment all about long term vs short term rewards, and how to bridge the gap and gauge equivalency.