Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

7.11.0: Rhino Iron Skin Change... How It Is Now

Namacyst

While I don't mind the reduction in Damage Reduction so it can't just go "lolno" at everything for extended periods of time (granted I have had no personal experience with the Rhino at higher level locations so it's quite possible that it may need to be retweaked so it can at least go lolno for short periods of time), I honestly don't see the reasoning for removing the ability to tank status effects.

I mean, it can't exactly rely on wallrunning or sliding or just plain running away since the thing moves like a walking tank in most fiction that can occasionally do parkour from what i've seen, so at the very least give it abilites ala nuXCOM's power armour and let it have the ability to just go "No." to attempts to poison it and crap.

Edited by RealityMachina

I'll admit, I haven't played Rhino, and to be honest I have no intentions to; however, with what I've read on heard about the Rhino before the change, Iron Skin seemed to be rather unreasonable. Let's face it, the skill is called Iron Skin, not Adamantium Skin or Juggernaut, so damage resistance is more reasonable than complete immunity to everything.

From a gameplay standpoint, I feel that this change was honestly for the better, though I can completely sympathize with the people who own and play the Rhino. I, too, would be upset if my favorite frame received a change like this. However, one must look at the bigger picture on how this will affect team play.

If for any reason this change makes the frame >completely and utterly unplayable< then rest assured it will be fixed. :)

I'll admit, I haven't played Rhino, and to be honest I have no intentions to; however, with what I've read on heard about the Rhino before the change, Iron Skin seemed to be rather unreasonable. Let's face it, the skill is called Iron Skin, not Adamantium Skin or Juggernaut, so damage resistance is more reasonable than complete immunity to everything.

From a gameplay standpoint, I feel that this change was honestly for the better, though I can completely sympathize with the people who own and play the Rhino. I, too, would be upset if my favorite frame received a change like this. However, one must look at the bigger picture on how this will affect team play.

If for any reason this change makes the frame >completely and utterly unplayable< then rest assured it will be fixed. :)

so we can hope it'll be fixed, but IS was rhino's only unique ability, everything else he had was done better by someone else (although I do like rhino charge, it allows you to get around a bit fast)

The problem is that Iron Skin was Rhino's single redeeming feature. Rhino Charge is a pathetic version of Slash Dash. Radial Blast can be replaced in most situations by a regular melee ground slam. Stomp seems unique, but really pales in comparison to every AoE kill ult that other frames have. Iron Skin's temporary invulnerability was Rhino's only redeeming feature, justifying its poor offensive abilities and sluggish speed by getting you out of a jam when there are just too many enemies shooting at you from all directions, when you get stunlocked by Chargers/Rollers, when you need to revive a teammate amidst a sea of enemies, or when there are half a dozen Ancients charging at you. Iron Skin was the life saver for solo players who used him. Now he doesn't even have that.

It's not exactly that Rhino is "unplayable" right now that ticks me off. It's that it has lost its role as a tank now and is outperformed by almost EVERY OTHER WARFRAME, making Rhino's very existence redundant.

Well, so much for spending the weekend farming for Rhino's last few parts and finish the frame I spent two days farming a system for. Nice job.

Seriously, nerfing his Iron Skin but not buffing any of his other abilities? I mean, it's one thng to look at an ability and say 'this ability is OP and we should fix that' but you have to consider you just nerfed THE REASON PEOPLE PLAYED THIS FRAME AT ALL. And you didn't give him anything back.

That's where the problem lies. Not in fixing the broken skill, but in not doing so in a wholistic manner that kept the frame's tank mode. I guess I'll just go farm up peices for frost, until you nerf snowglobe.

EDIT: Should I be on the lookout for incoming nerfs to Invisibilty and Smokebomb next?

Edited by Iceciro

He had it coming, a needed change IMO.

A post from another related thread sums it up quite well: "There is a difference between being a tank and being ninja Jesus."

80% damage reduction, 150 armor (even more with Steel Fiber) and as much health/shields as you can afford with Vitality/Redirection still sounds pretty damn tanky to me.

IS doesn't apply to armor, it applies to shields now if I am interpreting it correctly.  Try kicking it in when you're down to health, you'll die.

Except Saryn's other skills are usefull.

Yes, but people only talked about that skill and forgetting the other one's, topics like "Saryn its useless now!", "Molt nerf, RIP Saryn!", etc

And you, right now, its pointing that his others skills are effective. Its you only facerolling one skill all time, something its wrong.

Its the same trend all over again, the same overreacting.

irony. coming from a god dam trinity player who still has a better god mode +  inifinite energy. that is unreasonable. Pls nerf. 

If nothing else Rhino needs his immunity to ancient disruptors restored, I'd like to see his immunity to toxins restored as well but that's just a want as opposed to what seems to be a rather pressing need.

If rhino is supposed to wade in and take hits then we need a way to protect our energy so that he can continue to function after his initial iron skin wears of. Otherwise why even bother? I'm better off just sitting back and shooting from range than wadding into the fray like i'm supposed to.

+1 

No offence to invicibluty reduction, but toxic and disruptor immunity is a must

for Rhino, otherwise it's unusable as a tanking machine.

This is absolutely ridiculous! =\

Give us back toxin and drain energy immunity... Its not funny.

Now Rhino is useless on defence because high lvl toxic ancients will kill him in a second.

I'm really disappointed. Thinking about purchase plat? Nope. Need improve movement speed or abilities damage and give immunity to toxins and energy draining to Iron skin. Than maybe think about.

Ужас, а не обновление. Все больше воняет донатом. Мерзость.

Истинно плюсую лучше бы цены пересмотрели на платину

Just played a few missions with the new Rhino ... and then again with my level 30 Excalibur. I find that my level 30 Excalibur is the better "tank" now. He has 500 shields, 500 health, and is able to deal truckloads of damage... Rhino? Is on level 25 so it still has less shields and less armor at the moment. But "Iron Skin" compensated for that. But not anymore... With "Iron Skin" basically gone (I got killed like 2 x times while the new "Iron Skin" was turned on ... it doesn't do much if anything against high-level opponents!!) the other skills are just not enough to get you away from a large group of enemies and the Rhino's slow speed isn't helping. With Excalibur I was never invulnerable to begin with... but when I get overrun by lots of enemies, I can slash-dash through them, I can blind them and quickly get to a safe distance, I can combine super-jump + slash-dash, or I just hit the "4" button and everything that got too close gets nailed to the next best wall... Rhino? Uhhhm, nope. Rhino-charge knocks them all over, but it doesn't kill them. I still have to shoot them or go into a melee fight. "Iron Skin" will get me killed, so better not use it. The other abilities cost a lot of energy but don't do enough damage, so better not use them either ... Result? I find I have better chances of surviving a Pluto mission with my level 30 Excalibur than with the warframe that was supposed to have THE "tank" role.... !?

As others have commented: it would have been better to increase the energy costs (so a player has to choose wisely when to use "Iron Skin" and when not to use it ...) but this change? Nope, I don't like it. Rhino just isn't a "tank" anymore. Any other warframe with decent damage output and enough shield and armor upgrades can do a better job at that AND get away if needed ....

The problem with Iron Skin was that it made bosses pointless. The problem is now though that 80% damage reduction doesn't make it viable at all (seen as high level enemies will just rip though the DR anyway).

A better balance would have been to simply increase the cost.

Also as far as I'm aware armor doesn't have any baring on damage delt to shields, so tanking without immunity or high shields is unviable (because health is an unreliable resouce [drops randomly]).

Edited by Spiffmeister

CBF reading all posts to see if this has been said, but try using Focus with Iron skin, it boosts Embers Overheat damage reduction and maybe it will boost Iron skin as well.

Mind you if it does at max rank it will give Iron skin 104% damage reduction.

CBF reading all posts to see if this has been said, but try using Focus with Iron skin, it boosts Embers Overheat damage reduction and maybe it will boost Iron skin as well.

Mind you if it does at max rank it will give Iron skin 104% damage reduction.

It has been confirmed that it does not boost iron skin (unless it's a bug)

It is what it is. The only measure of if this was too much is if we stop playing our Rhinos. If he becomes and under-used warframe then it was too much. If not - then it wasn't.

He already was an underused frame :|

It is what it is. The only measure of if this was too much is if we stop playing our Rhinos. If he becomes and under-used warframe then it was too much. If not - then it wasn't.

I only used it to farm certain bosses, now I'll just stick to Frost and I don't think I'll be the only one that will change frames. It's safer to regen your shields inside the Snow Globe than using Iron Skin now.

I remember that the last time they modified Rhino DE said "he was pretty much where they wanted it to be".

post from japan,poor english.

it's really bad change. really bad.

RHINO players love Immortalty? no. they love ”stand no matter what".

can't be knockdown, cant' be knockup.

if IRONSKIN "10-30% armor + can't be knockdown", They will understand.

fix now, fix now!

Yes, but people only talked about that skill and forgetting the other one's, topics like "Saryn its useless now!", "Molt nerf, RIP Saryn!", etc

And you, right now, its pointing that his others skills are effective. Its you only facerolling one skill all time, something its wrong.

Its the same trend all over again, the same overreacting.

I'm actually poiting out, and very clearly so, that his other skills are ineffective.

He had it coming, a needed change IMO.

A post from another related thread sums it up quite well: "There is a difference between being a tank and being ninja Jesus."

80% damage reduction, 150 armor (even more with Steel Fiber) and as much health/shields as you can afford with Vitality/Redirection still sounds pretty damn tanky to me.

How about Loki's invincibility (kind of) mode. Oh, I meant invisibility.

How about it would properly work only on Greneer. Corpus haw special sensory (like infra and so on) so the could see him and infested having good smell so the wouls sniff him out.

I repeat myself over and over again: THIS GAME DOES NOT NEED NERFES. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY  IT DDOES NOT NEED PvP.