Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Huge Decrease Of Melee Weapons Range Since 16.5

Nikbis

And often on upslopes. The hit locations seem off when you are at angles.

It makes even less sense to me when I can hit Ospreys in mid-air with any polearm, but not the Crewman at my feet who is shooting me from a step away because he is up or down a little.

Tried with Amphis, Bo, Bo Prime, Orthos, Orthos Prime, Serro, Tipedo, and Tonbo. Results varied widely, Serro and Tipedo had the best hit detection and STILL would rarely hit enemies on slopes.

I have noticed that Orthos Prime still has extreme horizontal reach - about as much as it did, I think - but its vertical/angled hitbox is almost entirely broken. Also, air melee has a hard time hitting cameras, although that was an issue before the bug.

In my humble opinion, to make melee more viable the reach of melee weapons should be increased even further than the original from which they were reduced.

If they would extend base melee cleave range on all weapons by 30%, after they fix the wonky hitboxes, that would be a great help.

Greedy side of me wants the base range extended by 165% so all weapons feel viable with an innate Max Primed Reach.

Then further extended Reach would allow some weapons to clear 25m swathes of enemies.(Anime style where a weapon is swung and mid-ranged enemies are affected...Ragdoll weapons (Most of them are Impact) would feel: a Rona Thorne -'Amaaaziing')

If they would extend base melee cleave range on all weapons by 30%, after they fix the wonky hitboxes, that would be a great help.

Greedy side of me wants the base range extended by 165% so all weapons feel viable with an innate Max Primed Reach.

Then further extended Reach would allow some weapons to clear 25m swathes of enemies.(Anime style where a weapon is swung and mid-ranged enemies are affected...Ragdoll weapons (Most of them are Impact) would feel: a Rona Thorne -'Amaaaziing')

Dynasty Warframes?

I'll allow it.

(Would have to triple the range on beams, though, but that's not a bad thing.)

Edited by FelisImpurrator

I see that this thread is alive and well (depending on the view point).

Seeing as Primed Reach is up on the relays again, can anyone confirm if it is still bugged before I purchase it?

+EDIT

Yep, looks like it is still bugged.

Edited by Pate8

I actually wonder how the melee's range/reach is calculated ?

It seems it has nothing to do with the blade length... which I naively thought...
For Instance a Nikana that is based on a Katana is 1m long, you have roughly 75cm of blade.

Add a regular reach would give it additional 45cm of blade.

Changing the overall length into 1.45m...
Making it functionally like this 

My original post here is no longer relevant, it is a different issue. Myth, busted.

Thank you for sharing a video capture!

It won't die - there is just no immediate cure as diagnosis is ongoing.

Just a thought regarding the tracking for this bug.

U16.5 contained a lot of physics changes for optimization across the board, didn't it? Is it possible that those changes might be the source of all the problems we've been having with hitboxes and collision detection lately? I'm hardly an expert, but that's the only major change I can think of during that update that might have any bearing on this.

Hm... The other day I was thinking my Galatine's range was suddenly bad. Same thing, or just a weird feeling? Despite primed reach it seemed to only hit as far as it visually could. Haven't used Galatine in a while so I don't know if it's always been this bad. Happened with any stances, though royale seemed even shorter range.

Either way that seemed off.

I been dusting off some weapon and I try the silva & aegis for fun. The melee range is extremely crippled! It take me several attempt to destroy a corpus camera with it!, Enemy on a stare are pretty much imune to melee hit ._.

Seriously, I hope update 17 will fix it...

I cant recall a time when you could. Always been a problem in my opinion.

They should just do a Vindictus and vastly improve the vertical range so that every swing's hitbox can reach considerably above and below the region where the player is swinging. (Yes, Vindictus has a whole host of problems that WF would do better to avoid. However, difficulty with enemies on slopes is not one of these problems and never has been.)

Players should never have an issue attacking Crawlers that are sitting three stairs below them. If the crawler would be within blade's reach if the Tenno were to actually physically angle the strike properly, then the player's attack should connect with the target.

OT:

It kind of bothers me that it's been so long and nothing has been done about this yet. I mean, I get that bug fixing is pretty darn difficult, but to this extent? It's been more than two months.

A while back someone made a hypothesis that the hitbox sizes weren't actually changing, but Reach was simply expanding the hitboxes from the centre of the weapon's model instead of from the hilt (so the actual "extra blade length" that the weapon got was effectively cut in half, since half of it was sticking out of the hilt instead of all of it coming right out of the blade). On the very, VERY off-chance that this wasn't already tested, wouldn't something of the sort be very easy to detect if visible hitboxes were just turned on in a devbuild?

Edited by SortaRandom

What I noticed is if I am quick meleeing, the 2nd strike half the time doesn't even register. Even though the blade slices through the target, no damage is dealt. This is with a lot of weapons most recently Dakra prime or prisma skana. Generally you quick melee in a V.

Frist strik \

second striek /

Imagine from the top of the slash the blade going down to the bottom. The first slash going from left to right will register, but the second going right to left will not. Is this a related issue, anyone else experiencing this? And I'm talking about same level of elevation here, not even involving slopes.

has anyone noticed if this "nerf" also applies to Deconstructor? doesn't feel like it to me.

edit: been a while since i used it though.

It feels Deconstructor is normal.

Range-hitbox on Thrown Glaive weapons is the radius of the projectile hitbox. Since Deconstructor is still able to kill enemies & Thrown Glaive/Kestrel are still hitting enemies....I think it is safe to assume they are unaffected.

Noticed this too, on the Scindo prime with Tempo Royale, I'm not hitting low enemies on the ground with the first attack like before. Also, the DNikana seems to have the range of arm's reach. If this is a nerf, then DE done goofed, if this is a bug, they still done goofed.

HAH i had noticed range was jacked too... but no one listens, apparently more players are catching on. Galatine doesn't even hit with its physical model for 2/3 of the length.