The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mellee weapon leveling and the E button

Malkav

Does anyone think there should be levels or a training areas where you could practice melee and level it up?

And does anyone find mashing the E key a bit too much? I don't know if anyone here played games that primarily use melee weapons but i think that pressing E should switch to your melee weapon and then you can slice n dice with the mouse click. Any thoughts?

I think you should be able to switch to it as a primary, but also have it always ready the way it is now.

Hopefully they'll give this as an option once they've overhauled the melee system with all those lovely combos and juggles and whatnot that the game is crying out for!

I'm sort of on the fence about this. While part of me would certainly love to see a more indepth melee system with special moves, I also would greatly miss on-the-fly melee attacks without actually putting away my gun. Considering the game's pacing, a more indepth melee system would require more melee enemies, and ones that use more attack than typical grineer footsoldiers, and bosses built around the mechanic.

They have nice levels to train up melee weapon levels. It's called infested. Since melee doesnt get standard exp by being your active weapon the exp it earns pretty much comes from kills. Not really damage but actual kills. Infested tend to die in 1 normal melee strike so long as it isnt an ancient. And about the only ancient you dont want to melee is the toxic one with the poison cloud.

They have nice levels to train up melee weapon levels. It's called infested. Since melee doesnt get standard exp by being your active weapon the exp it earns pretty much comes from kills. Not really damage but actual kills. Infested tend to die in 1 normal melee strike so long as it isnt an ancient. And about the only ancient you dont want to melee is the toxic one with the poison cloud.

I was thinking the same thing, so this is what i did: Hmm infested, ok no armor quick kills, great. Now lets find a low lvl planet with lots of infected that you can run through quickly. So i thought Jupiter, thats a great planet and defense missions, awsome quick combat with all the infected coming at you at once. So i strated Solo Calisto on Jupiter (lvl 11-17) with my lvl 29 ashe (no reactor) a lvl 9 Scindo and some guns that need lvls. It started of fine, 3 kills per swing and swing till your heart's content. Then 5 ancients show up on a lvl 11-17 mission ,FIVE!, and i got stuck in a CC lock n died... So i thought i need to change tactics, the axe for the minions and a lvl 30 snipertron for the Ancients(with some smoke screen tactics), this did not work as well.... they sprint to you, knock you down, drain your sheild in one hit and your energy, the abilities become useless. So I end up running around lvling an allready maxed sniper... So I thought to myslef what a wonderfu...WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING?!? a low lvl mission that becomes undoable in solo because of the 15-25 ancient spawns in a mission that lasts around 5-10 minutes... what happened?

I use a volt frame so my abilities are pretty much pointless vs ancients so the disrupter killing my energy is pretty much a moot point for me. To kill an ancient quickly with a melee weapon and not a suit skill you probably want a decent + melee damage frame mod. I just unload a Hek into the toxic ancients since all the damage they do always goes straight to your HP. Dunno if this is a glitch or not as I have been hit by a charging toxic ancient and took HP damage but kept my full shield.

The boost to ancient spawn rate really to me just meant I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing in infested missions where as before it was just run spamming E until I see a green cloud, shoot green cloud till it dies, then resume spamming E.

So people have already started asking for training dummys etc for the weapons...one must ask if we are not playing the same game?

because in my warframe beta game i have a planet called jupiter full of infested stuff all over the place. Pick a map > slice them into tiny pieces > take loot > finish mission > go again. And in a day or 2 you should have a lvl 30 meele weapon.

finished my axe in less then 15 hours of grinding

I use a volt frame so my abilities are pretty much pointless vs ancients so the disrupter killing my energy is pretty much a moot point for me. To kill an ancient quickly with a melee weapon and not a suit skill you probably want a decent + melee damage frame mod. I just unload a Hek into the toxic ancients since all the damage they do always goes straight to your HP. Dunno if this is a glitch or not as I have been hit by a charging toxic ancient and took HP damage but kept my full shield.

The boost to ancient spawn rate really to me just meant I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing in infested missions where as before it was just run spamming E until I see a green cloud, shoot green cloud till it dies, then resume spamming E.

I tried calisto again, but this time I used a lvl 30 volt (4x70 armor,2x100 sheilds,2x40 melee dmg and a shield recharge buff on one of the armor mods). I did not die this time, even though the CC fest continues, just this time i could survive the 10 knockdowns ,the poison dmg and the constant 0 shelds policy. But while trying to recover from the CC (or during it) they manged to destroy the target...But after a few tries I finnaly finished the mission (and only because i got some lucky spawns, less toxic and more disrupters), so this might be something that should be nerfed or put more thought into.

I'm sort of on the fence about this. While part of me would certainly love to see a more indepth melee system with special moves, I also would greatly miss on-the-fly melee attacks without actually putting away my gun. Considering the game's pacing, a more indepth melee system would require more melee enemies, and ones that use more attack than typical grineer footsoldiers, and bosses built around the mechanic.

Well, WH40k: Space Marine does it fairly well, allowing you to select your melee weapon(albeit with a pistol/1h weapon), or go around with a long weapon, with melee key to quick attack.

Although, in all fairness, I'd also prefer if we were able to actually wield the melee weapons instead of just striking with them and instantly switching back to ranged weapon.

I think most people are running into issues with gaining experience even with killing. I have run whole missions using only my melee unless overwhelmed and gotten little or no experience. One game in perticular i had 37 melee kills out of 40some. I got 0 experience and 0 bonus experience for it. This was with a level 1 Heat sword. Someone mentioned that if you have elemental melee modes on your weapons the kills and damage won't count as melee and you won't get experience I would be tetsing that today but i'm having matchmaking issues where I can't even play solo. But even then does a heatsword generate base heat damage that is killing my experience without any mods attached? I can't say. It is a beauty of a weapon against infested (with a 73% melee damage mod on my excaliber) But leveling a melee weapon. It seems pointless to try right now.

I currently have a loadout of something like 5 70% armor mods, 1 74% melee damage mod, and 2 +50 HP mods. Not really had much luck past getting armor boosts. Also run a rejuvination card that gives passive HP regen. About the only things that noticably hurt are the toxic ancients though I make a point to juke any ancient charging at me and unload my Hek into clusters of ancients bunched together to avoid the constant knockdown annoyance.

I primarily use the charge attach on melee. I'm really not one for spamming. You can pretty much melee entire infested levels, including Ancients. Using the charge attack, you can stagger lock pretty much every Ancient. It's only the toxic ones that you really need to keep at a distance. Once I find mods that improve the charged attack damage, I can probably melee entire Grineer levels too.