Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Gpu Whine?

Nervara

So I've had this issue before, it kinda just went away last time. When I play warframe my gpu (980) get this whine that gets a little annoying and makes me a bit worried. It even stops when say you're loading your inbox etc. This doesn't happen with any other game, just tested Witcher 3, GTA V and other graphics intensive games and they're all working fine. Anyone else encountered this problem? 

The last time I saw this a hotfix seemed to stop it? 

sounds like your GPU has Coil Whine.

the best method for the end consumer would be to RMA it to see if you get one from a different batch that will produce Coil Whine at a much higher Frequency.

Coil Whine normally happens at higher drawing rates while under load - which Warframe fits the bill for pretty well.

those big bloated games may not produce Coil Whine due to the GPU having a much heavier load, resulting in hitting limits of hardware and having lower draw rates.

there's not much you can do about it, you can't really just go slapping some rubber goop on the Inductors on your GPU. not only because it Voids Warranty, but because it's questionable if it would solve the problem anyways.

basically, if you don't like Coil Whine - nobody does - RMA the GPU to try to get a higher binned one that won't produce Coil Whine in the low hundreds for draw rate.

since Coil Whine really shouldn't be a thing even over 4 digit drawing rates, but... *shrugs*

Edited by taiiat

I get the same thing on the login screen it's nothing to worry about, just minorly anoying, and I also just get it in warframe, it's less to do with the intensity of what's being done, it's a complicated thing that one of my friends explained to me once but I've forgotten most of it

Edited by negativenull

It's either capacitor harmonics or coil whine. Both are normal things that happen from time to time

Can confirm, it happens to CPUs as well. Basically when a processor is performing a certain task and all of the variables in the environment are met, a sort of resonance is achieved and a sound is produced at the frequency which capacitors are charging/discharging.

Often times it's more frequent with very new or very old hardware (hardware that has not been "burned in" yet or hardware that's had some oxidation buildup on contacts.

Coil noise is due to high current loads (when the GPU draws more power). When the current goes across an inductor (a wire coil, common in transformers and voltage regulator), it creates a magnetic field which in turn can cause the coil (or other components) to vibrate. This could be due to a poorly secured coil/inductor/component on the board, or that a sub-par component was used.

I want to know how it actually occurs and gets fixed on it's own.

it's a natural phenomenon where Inductors(not only Inductors can have this happen, but they're the most common culprit) can develop high Frequency vibrations when circuits are processing very quickly.

this is often combated with rubber-like goop anchoring Coils to other parts of or on the board to help reduce the effect.

it doesn't get fixed on it's own. it's the silicon lottery - a higher binned Electronic will have less of it, and a lower binned one is more prone to it.

Edited by taiiat

Try enabling or disabling vsync, or playing around with a program that has a frame rate limiter like MSI Afterburner and vary the limit.   A game that's running at a very high frame rate may make coil whine more or less pronounced.

Try enabling or disabling vsync, or playing around with a program that has a frame rate limiter like MSI Afterburner and vary the limit.   A game that's running at a very high frame rate may make coil whine more or less pronounced.

I have a G-Sync Monitor so Vsync is never enabled or ever will be. I have played around with Precision X a bit, just need to test it now. If you're right about the extremely high frame rates (well over 100) it's possible. My main build is I7 4790k at 4.5Ghz underwater. EVGA GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0. I'm only concerned or confused because it's only warframe that causes this problem. 

Ishki; No it's like a dull whine you hear from your GPU. 

I have a G-Sync Monitor so Vsync is never enabled or ever will be. I have played around with Precision X a bit, just need to test it now. If you're right about the extremely high frame rates (well over 100) it's possible. My main build is I7 4790k at 4.5Ghz underwater. EVGA GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0. I'm only concerned or confused because it's only warframe that causes this problem. 

Ishki; No it's like a dull whine you hear from your GPU. 

I have a EVGA GTX 970 and it has coil whine. It looks like it's happening because of my PSU, because I tested the card with another PSU (my brother's) and it didn't make a sound.

One thing I would recomend (since you have a NVIDIA card) is to get the software NVIDIA Inspector and enable V-Sync or at least use the frame rate limiter. It will make the coil whine less annoying, in some cases it will even eliminate it.

Edited by RextintorZ

If the coil whine happens when the fps are above 60 then the solution is simple, Vsync

If the coil whine happens when the fps are between 0 and 60 then you can either RMA it or to drop glue on the coil itself.

Most GPUs atm have tiny litle closed boxes to avoid that, some however have a box but without the top on, identify the coil producing this noise and drop glue, since it's a box where the edges are higher, it's kinda hard to make the glue drop to the sides.

vrm.jpg

Nail polish also works well, the idea is to simply make an enclosed space where sound can't escape and to change the frequency of the vibration so it can't be heard

Edited by KIREEKPSO

Annnnnnnd it's gone.... Hotfix agian 0_o

I'm sure this is just a coincidence.

Glad it's gone, but remember that correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. In other words, just because it happens only with Warframe, doesn't mean it's Warframe specifically causing it.

Edited by DeathwingZero

Glad it's gone, but remember that correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. In other words, just because it happens only with Warframe, doesn't mean it's Warframe specifically causing it.

Yes I know, just an assumption because it's the only know cause fro me. 

WHOA.  This is astonishingly.....ANNOYING.  God bless anyone who has to deal with that sound.  I'm glad the OP said the sound is gone.

Haha it comes and goes actually. I noticed it's when my GPU isn't working hard enough. After a mission or two it stops, seems like a wind up.