The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Narrow-Minded On Vauban

Lhigtingtopo

Question

One more time I have a question created by the difficulty to don't get lost in old information. I'm trying to find a good Vauban build and everyone says that I should focus range, duration and energy efficiency. 

Then... why every one is running narrowminded? is not the range lose to painful both for Vortex and Bastille? I know that once time ago the Vortex wasn't affected by the range so that makes sense, but I am still finding it in every build, is just because I am finding non updated vauban builds with narrowminded or I should use that mod anyway? I feel like i can manage with smaller bastilles but I am a bit worried about running such a small vortex.

Is better small Bastilles or bigger ones?

How the people manage to solo survs/defs with out running out of energy(or oxigen in surv ones)?

11 answers to this question

Just use max efficiency, put on Narrow and Overextended and you will have the perfect balance for both Bastille and Vortex. Vortex's range does not go over around 14 meters even with both Stretch and Overextended (tested many times myself) and even 10 meters is good enough for vortex which is what you will get with OE and a high end Narrow Minded.

Since the power strength (thereby Bastille effectiveness) goes down you can then counter it with Transient Fortitude or Intensify (don't recommend Blind Rage on Vauban) or else if you dont have space for Strength mods then just spam a few bastilles in the same place if you want to pick up many enemies at the same time, which should not be a problem with max efficiency and even a Flow or Primed Flow.

EDIT: To answer your last question, people might use maxed out efficiency (175 %) which can be achieved with a Rank 4 Fleeting Expertise and a Rank 4 Streamline, or they might have Primed Flow/ Flow on or even both efficiency and Flow. Also, you can make energy restores and put it in your gear and hotkey it so that you can throw one down whenever you need it.

In Solo / Duo Survivals, the drop rate for life pods from enemies is higher since the killing rate is slower than if 4 players were playing. This might give you just enough Life % to activate one Life Support and then not depend on the next one for some time, so that you always have one more Life Support in backup when you activate and consume another.

Edited by Sci_Ant

Now im playing with: Vitality, Redirect, Repelling Bastille, Stretch, Overextend, Streamline, Constitution and Continuity, with out fleeting or narrowminded because i was worried about the negative part of those mods, should i change it? Repelling bastille is something that i want? As i said im not sure how the people builds Vauban for that long surv/def high end runs.

Use Fleeting and Narrow minded so you have atleast 200 % on Duration and 130 % on Range. As for defensive mods I suggest using only Vitality since he has more base Health than Shields or else just use Quick Thinking and Flow, which is what I use to never die with those Eximus toxin procs since Vauban has a large Energy pool.

Repelling Bastille works if you are going for lower power strength but I'd rather just spam a few Bastilles in the same spot and save a mod slot for other things. 

I play booben quite a lot. i have mostly 2 builds on him. 

Mostly i run with max efficiency and duration and no faction mods also no strght. I think its better be able to spam skills (bastille vortex) than rely on one of them.It leaves me with rather small bastille and vortex but u better off putting them in strategic places like doors or on top of cryopod. And bastille is for rezzing teammates and getting out of tough situations.

And i have 1 other build with repelling bastille with lot of range to lock down wery big areas but like i said i like spammy vauban much more.

And yea energy pads are must , vauban is very squishy without his skills.

OMG OMG the new helm is amazing!!!

I build for either Bastille OR Vortex, never both. You have to make a decision on which you are going to use most for that mission in order to OPTIMIZE your abilities effectiveness. You don't want to be wasting slots on strength mods if you are only using Vortex for example. 

I wont build for strength for bastille anyway, i feel like bastille is more defensive using it as reflecting bastille, for his the regular use i think that vortrex does the same job but better, does it?

Edited by Lhigtingtopo

I wont build for strength for bastille anyway, i feel like bastille is more defensive using it as reflecting bastille, for his the regular use i think that vortrex does the same job but better, does it?

There are probably different opinions, but i would also rather put repelling than strght mods if running just for bastille. u also can place vortex close of bastille and it sucks up all that gets thru bastille or just spam 2-3 or more bastilles. (thats what i do).

Mostly tho i dont use repelling i rather spam it and or combine with vortex.

Also with max effeciency and decent duration vauban can spam his skills a LOT just take some energy restores for emergencies or for start of the mission.

EDIT: UMM u have to just try different builds on him and find what u like i guess hes quite versatile. Also its wery importand for him what weapons he uses.

Shred on evrything that isnt AOE already. Tonkor is awesome.

Edited by Mathemagics

For Bastille, a smaller range actually allows you to hold more enemies at a time. This is because enemies caught in *overlapping* Bastilles count toward the cap for both Bastilles... in other words, overlapping Bastilles is a bad idea. Instead of focuing on power strength, you can reduce range a bit and simply drop two bastilles next to each other.

For defensive play, enemies tend to spawn from known entry points into the room, and often its more important to keep a small bastille or vortex at those points or along their entry path than it is to have a large range which can pick up stragglers around the room. This is just one example of where duration is more important than range. With the same line of thinking, Vortex doesn't need much +range, cause you're generally using it in a chokepoint or along enemy pathing routes. Strength doesn't matter either, so simply tossing Overextended alongside your NM gives you more range than we had before Vortex was effected by range, so it's obviously effective with that amount of range.

Finally, RB requires you maintain 100% or more strength, which means you either are losing plenty of duration or dropping below +75% efficiency; making the duration added from NM more valuable than the range loss for most scenarios.

For Bastille, a smaller range actually allows you to hold more enemies at a time. This is because enemies caught in *overlapping* Bastilles count toward the cap for both Bastilles... in other words, overlapping Bastilles is a bad idea. Instead of focuing on power strength, you can reduce range a bit and simply drop two bastilles next to each other.

For defensive play, enemies tend to spawn from known entry points into the room, and often its more important to keep a small bastille or vortex at those points or along their entry path than it is to have a large range which can pick up stragglers around the room. This is just one example of where duration is more important than range. With the same line of thinking, Vortex doesn't need much +range, cause you're generally using it in a chokepoint or along enemy pathing routes. Strength doesn't matter either, so simply tossing Overextended alongside your NM gives you more range than we had before Vortex was effected by range, so it's obviously effective with that amount of range.

Finally, RB requires you maintain 100% or more strength, which means you either are losing plenty of duration or dropping below +75% efficiency; making the duration added from NM more valuable than the range loss for most scenarios.

My toughts but in much better english.

This is a perfect explanation thankyou, you just answered my doubts about how strength works with repelling. Thank you again.

Edit: The wiki is now saying that strength has nothing to do with the chance to repel, only the damage. I may have been mistaken (I swear it used to say it did). So apparently we can throw on OE and not worry about strength. Huh.