Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Magnetic Procs And Energy Drain

Plorf

Alright I'll try to keep this rant somewhat brief as this should be self explanatory.

Basically as far as I can tell, every unit or object capable of dealing the magnetic proc or draining energy slowly is horribly over-effective and causing deaths and losing rounds. I just got back from doing a hive alert in which 3/4 of the squad died because someone went down reviving in one of the (very hard to see) magnetic clouds.

Without energy, there's simply nothing most warframes can do on their own, especially without spamming restore pads or being a tanky frame. And yet energy drain seems to be an abundant mechanic. If you ever play any high level infested mission you'll frequently find your energy at 0 as there are multiple parasitic eximus units surrounding you. In the case of that faction, all their buffs stack up to a frightening extent. And those magnetic clouds in hive missions cripple you for making a trivial mistake.

Outside the infested it's not quite so bad, except then you have grineer shield doors. These things... are far, far worse than the Corpus security system and as far as I can tell, Mirage can't even use Sleight of Hand to turn them on her side. Many times have I been in an intense survival with full energy running to the exit, when one Grineer door panel ends my run. Just today I was opening crates next to a locked door, and simply walking up to it drained my full 450 energy reserves. 

So my question is, why does the mechanic even exist? Everyone I've talked to says it's anti-fun, and punishes you too hard. And yet it seems the devs think it's an appropriate balance measure. For what exactly? To prevent full squads of over-geared players from doing too well? As a response to the 1% of players that complain that missions are too easy? In solo play, mechanics like this simply don't work. I'm beginning to think DE implements a lot of features like this (more difficult enemies/map features) trying to band-aid problems that are much larger. And it feels like players like me are losing out.

Anyway that's my rant, let me know if you agree or disagree.

Oh, and one more thing:

FlameRepellentNew.png

I do quite agree. There are quite a few aspects of Warframe that seem to suffer because of the gradual effects of power creep, and there are many times when flat adjustments are made that feel more like unnecessary obstacles than actual challenges. The whole magnetic damage sapping all of your energy seems like one of them.

Making another example (have to make a more extensive thread about this sometime in the future), there is the Stalker, and while I DO love the idea and concept behind the him, many times when he appears (especially with the more recent changes made to him) it feels like an unnecessary mountain being dropped in your way while the game screams "CLIMB!" (I mean, really.... he can dispel and nullify most Warframe abilities now. He can even use Absorb...why?).

I would prefer in both cases to have a more dynamic system that rewards me for using strategy and clever thinking rather than simply requiring flat-out better equipment/more health, shields and armour.

Edited by Kraken_Attacken

Grineer doors are fine. Punishes forgetful and careless people.

Grineer enemies increase their 'defense' systems and people complaining about getting struck by the Magnet proc of the door. What a joke.

Also, and in my opinion, the energy drain is fine to me. EN Leech makes you think fast when your energy is already running low and when you're surrounded by hungry enemies.

Keep an eye out for Grineer doors with scanners above them and prioritize taking down Eximus enemies. It's not so bad once you hammer that mindset into your head.

I'm MR12 with over 400 hours in-missions. I prioritize eximus units with extreme prejudice, and I try to be as careful as possible. This game just has a lot of mechanics that take away choice from the player. 

Also, when 4 parasitic chargers spawn and run directly at you, what exactly is that punishing? When a Grineer door sensor is obstructed by the tileset, what exactly is that punishing?

When a Grineer door sensor is obstructed by the tileset, what exactly is that punishing?

When a sensor is hidden from the tileset, the more reason not to, you know, rush through the door (by Air Slide Melee-ing for example)

If you understand there are trapped doors you might encounter in your way, then you understand that you must be cautious when navigating.

When 4 parasitic chargers spawn and run directly at you, what exactly is that punishing?

Well, if you have four of these running after you, what would you do?

Personally I'd take them down as fast as possible, using whatever is available in that very moment. If you have a Warframe that can kill them really fast, or can make it so it's easier to kill them, you use their powers while you can. If you can't use powers, then you have to rely on your mobility to avoid their attacks, and use your weapons to dispatch them.

So, it's punishing if you take too much time to react in any case(i.e Not killing the mobs fast enough)

Edited by Vannell

Challenging =/= punishing

Requiring players to prioritize, use forethought and skill, and pay attention to things is good.

Yeah, I do okay. A great fighter with or without my abilities & I keep a stock of Syndicate Team Refillers. I usually target higher ability/dmg foes 1st. Surely those Fire Eximus. I think DE gives us allot tricks so that melds well if you good at kombat

As for the Trap Doors. Sometimes they get me, mostly don't after playing for minute. Hive is spooky, best I kan say... have a good eye & don't run before lookin

But anyway, just keep in mind everything wants to kill you

-V