June 5Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

2,065 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you think there should be a progression system that goes higher than 30?

Yes, there should be. The best  example of such a system is the paragon system in Diablo 3. After reaching the maximum level (30) it should be possible to level into infinity. Every level beyond 30 should give boni exclusive for each weapon (like 0,x% crit or x damage for Impact/Slash/Puncture or -x reload speed, etc). As long as the growth rates for each weapon are balanced, people would consider using their favourite weapon over weapon xy. o:

About stamina and melee:

Stamina should only influence melee combat and weird restrictions like not being able to perform counterattacks all the time without the mod should be removed and maybe based more on stamina.

Quick and dirty one.

1) Stamina should remain.

But use it ONLY for channeled melee compared to energy and maybe blocking.

Because despite what DE has advertised, channeled melee is INCREDIBLY energy inefficient.

For 5 energy this is simply a bad deal. Just to do more slightly more damage.

Why spend 20 energy to hit 4 targets when I can better make use of that energy for my CC abilities ?

Also channeling works on hit, not per second, so if you channel and hit multiple targets, your energy goes down faster than you can believe it.

So that is why many builds do not include channeling.

People channel when they use life strike. That's about it.

Seriously.

Yes currently you can bring the cost down to 2 energy, but again, it is not a great source of damage as it is still inefficient.. 

2) Not a fan of map changes.

I personally believe that each planet should have 1 mission type per node. Certain nodes like defense would have 2, 1 indoor and outdoor defense, for change of taste. 

Yes things will still get more condensed.

But not such a drastic move like the one DE is proposing.

DE needs to shed waaay more light on mission crafting before they can swing me to the other side.

Since all I see about mission crafting is that it is a pointless resource sinks.

3) Some hints will be nice.

So people won't run around like headless chickens and aggravate the more bad tempered players :p

4) I say stick to 30.

Work towards Focus instead to help.

Remember more levels means the exp curve goes exponentially.

A level 50 frame or even level 60 frame will be reaching Korean MMO style of exp grinding.

And that is just bad. Also how will points and forma be handled ?

Use Focus for this instead.

That is all.

Edited by fatpig84

in regards to solar map change.....I agree that that are far to many nodes, but what you should do is  like what fatpig suggested above, having each planet have each type of mission. this way there arent disasters like Eris or phobos......an insane amount of missions that are not needed and most likely never played.

The planet should have a certain level to it, and each should have a dark sector defense, excavation (would LOVE to see some infestation excavation missions, especially low level infested missions in general for low gear/new players), and survivals.

So what exactly happened to the focus system? I thought we would get a skill tree, that we could put points into, to make us a bit stronger- to level our Tenno, so to speak, and not our warframes and weapons.

However with every update new mechanics get added and slowly chip away at this system, that would have been really cool.

While arcane helmets and syndicates are only a small example for progression without leveling your weapons and gear i would have liked to see it in a different way.

A leveling system would be one way to put it. Then the mastery rank would also hold more to its name. However, seeing how a high mastery Rank can only be accomplished by grinding through weapons and gear another system is needed. A tenno level would be nice but the problems i see here is, that each warframe has its unique role and not every perk would be useful for every role. I also would not know, where the cap should be. Do we level our Tenno to level 100? And if we are there are we just done? There needs to be way more thought behind things like this and it is way more thought than i can muster right now.

I think stamina is annoying. There isn't really any skill in the system; it just limits what you can do once it runs out and breaks up the fast paced nature of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing it removed completely. 

The solar map does need some changes. Each planet/tileset should have missions for low, medium, and high level players. In addition, there should be one node per mission type per level range. Having multiple nodes of the same mission type is pointless and just adds clutter.

No comment on trials since I haven't played them yet. I really have no interest to and my clan no longer plays, so I couldn't be bothered to organize a public group. 

Progression past 30... leveling multiple things to 30 (especially when adding forma) is one of the things I hate the most about this game. So much grinding exp. I'd rather see gear level stay at 30, however maybe you could add weapon augment slots which unlock after using a weapon for a while. We already have account wide progression past leveling gear in the form of syndicates, which I think should be expanded upon. 

Edited by Drazhar14

How do you feel about Stamina in Warframe?

- It should be removed in some instances.

I think that stamina serves no real purpose when used for movement and actually impedes melee because of that since a melee player will drain all their stamina in no time, not allowing them to sprint to the next target.

For melee I think it needs a rework, potentially making it the source of channeling instead of energy so we can use channeling more freely. Blocking should also only drain stamina when actually blocking attacks.

What is your initial opinion of the proposed Solar Map changes?

- I’m not sure yet - need more information.

Your post gives me no real information and the linked threads are mere speculation.

Please stick to:

Once we get closer to a final design we'll share with the community for feedback.

Before we can say anything, you need to actually show us some sort of concept. All we really know is that you want to reduce the nodes to ~20 to compress the star chart in order to allow more groups to form on all types of mission.

Apart from an aesthetic overhaul I'd rather see more things that we can actually get from the star chart missions apart from just keys.

How much instruction do you think Trials should provide to players?

- No instruction - let us figure it out!

Raids are raids and players can easily figure it out as you can see. Even if it proves more difficult, some players will find the solution and put up a guide for those who don't. Telling us how to do it is like telling us to go through a maze and then showing us a red line that leads exactly to the exit.

- Maybe - depends on the system.

I can imagine something like a specialty system where players can choose their favourite warframe(s) and weapon(s) and give them a special boost. I do not see a reason to increase the maximum rank beyond 30. All that would do would be allowing us to use less Forma.

Edited by Tyrian3k

I said this in another thread, stamina is an annoyance and removing it would greatly benefit everyone. If left in PvP for balancing, I think that's fair. No idea what to do with the current stamina mods. Either change them completely to something new, or make them PvP only.

The starchart has  two problems as far as I can see, redundant nodes, and some tilesets have a very specific level range. Would love the old chart back, just with fewer nodes and some way to set the level range for enemies.

I don't mind no instructions for raids/trials, but a hint here and there won't hurt.

Leveling beyond 30... have no idea what to think about this. Gonna need more info.

For such a fast pace game, I feel stamina slows the action down and can be depleted in too many ways. The only concern I see is blocking all attacks with melee. The solution would be to just change the block rate(how often bullets get through).

On the Post-30 Progression system:

Sounds like a good idea, to be able to constantly build up one's weapon / frame post 30. I'd suggest something like a stat boost connected to kill count (actual kills made by the weapon / frame. kills by others shouldn't coun't). There may be different categories for the kills, with each category having a different bonus after achieving a milestone.. ie:

- Headshot kills - each Headshot kill milestone increases base crit chance of the weapon by 1%. Each milestone requires 2x more than the previous milestone.

- Punchthrough kills - Racking at least 3 kills in one bullet counts as a punchthrough kill. each milestone increases base punchthrough by 0.5 meters

- Status kills - each kill that also triggers a proc counts as a status kill. for each milestone, the base status chance is increased by 1%

- Bleedout kills - each bleedout kill milestone adds another 1 second base to bleedout time.

- Skill effect kills - for kills on targets under the effects of a warframe skill (must be player's warframe). each milestone increases base warframe energy by 1.

etc.

with stuff like that, people can continously build up a weapon or warframe, and even modify them for different things in order to rack up different kinds of kills. Since the increase for the requirement of each milestone is exponential, there is no need for fear of overpowered warframes, but constantly building up said kills would have some beneficial progression on their frames / weapons.

I like the idea that a warframe / weapon is never finished; i'm the kind of player who loses most interest in a game if I've run out of most goals and most of the gear is considered finished. with that kind of potentially infinite progression, I'd have more reason to use any particular warframe to improve their stats incrimentally over time.

Trials:

The instruction isn't the problem, quite frankly.

Sure, it's difficult the first time that you do it. It's still confusing the second. Nowadays however it's almost impossible to do a Trial without someone who has already beaten it: where exactly is the problem with instructions now?

We can talk with other players. We can go on the wiki. We can go on youtube. What is exactly the difference between the Lotus telling you "You need to stand on the correct rune" or your teammate on Teamspeak saying "you need to stand on the correct rune"?

The instruction is foggy and we do what we always do - we ask someone, or do it three times until we have understood and can do it by heart.

I would rather the missions have some randomly-generated sub-objective clearly stated by the Lotus. Instead of the maps we have now, how about a set of maps whose challenges are randomly selected? "Vay Hek's forces have put unforseen defenses in place. We need to defend this terminal for two minutes. Fine. Now you need to Parkour up to that site and sabotage it before the timer runs out. The timer ran out! You will need to survive two minutes before you can try again. Right. Now you can finally access this room. Right."

The enemy of overinformation, if you think about it, is the instructions being always the same.

Warframe after 30:

Actually an interesting thought. I really like the idea of "perks" (passives) being unlocked, either via additional XP, or via "challenges" that you do after your WF has reached 30. One could do a tree for the passives, or put "pick either A or B" choice paths for them. I'd really like this to happen.

One of the main things I chose was the Starchart in particular. While the planets and nodes are getting super-condensed, it presents reduced variety, however increased variety in a certain way.

What I mean by increased variety is that more players are more likely to find those twenty or so nodes to be brimming with squads of many individuals, however this is at the cost of cutting off the other 262 nodes. These other 262 nodes aren't really worth keeping in a way, aside from completing the starchart. The reason is, most missions in certain planets are very redundant as is, which this proposal is trying to fix for the most part. This proposal however, takes away the variety of nodes assigned to each planet, so if I want to do a 30+ defense on Pluto, I can. Will this opportunity be taken away from me? most likely.

A solution to this small dilemma, is to have a system similar to CrimeNet from PAYDAY 2; you'll have the randomly-spawned missions/alerts, however you are given the choice to select which missions you would be able to partake in -- for example, is none of the missions interest you, you can open up a tab, that would bring up a variety of mission types and nodes to play on. This would solve any issues with lack of variety, by allowing not only quick matchmaking, but allowing some players the variety as well.

The only problem I would see is how the matchmaking with the selective system would work, but nothing is impossible. This is my opinion on the matter.

The biggest problem with progression is the completely asynchronous relationship between the various instated progression mechanics. To wit, we have our overall Mastery Rank, our independent Warframe and weapon Affinity Ranks, our Mod Ranks, and enemy level scaling. We can also consider the accrual of resources to be closely related to the other progression mechanics. It is similarly affected by disorder.

To solve this problem the various mechanics need to be fleshed out and unified. Any suggestion designed to tackle this problem would have widespread implications and stand to affect every area of the game.

Saying “so long!” to Stamina

assuming it does get removed, 1) what changes and/or mechanics would you like to see implemented instead? 2) How would you change Mods and effects that currently rely on Stamina? 3) Do you think Stamina has value? 4) If you had the choice, would you modify it instead of removing it? 5) What do you think the benefits to removing stamina are, if any?

1) Decide if 'Stamina' is a type of mechanic you want.

If so, it needs to have more effect than just A) Limiting player dashing/coptering and B) Making blocking useless (though the fact that blocking costs the incoming damage is a not-insignificant factor in that).

I can literally swing a Scindo all day long, no difference between when I start and when I stop. All the same animation speeds, same damage, etc.

2) If Stamina gets removed, Marathon and Quick Rest get axed or completely redone. If it gets changed, well, depends on how.

Ditto Warrior's Grip.

Toxin Vex Ward? All sorts of options: Increased melee speed, increased all animations (run, attack, popup, etc.), leech effects, other.

I miss anything?

3) Not as it stands.

It acts as (yet another) handicap on melee (getting from target to target, not to mention killing melee-blocking), and as a speedbump in traversal - all while contributing nothing.

It adds nothing to the game, as best I see it.

It could serve as a limiting factor on player maneuverability, if Warframe were built around parkour et al. being a 'super move' rather than your bread-and-butter dial-a combo.

It's not. (So much so, in fact, that enemy accuracy now revolves around player movement (speed).)

It could serve as the limiting factor for an otherwise more-than-competitive-with-ranged Melee system.

But it A) isn't, and B) Nor is the melee system.

4) See above.

I don't see Stamina having a place in the current state of Warframe.

5) See all above.

How do you feel about Stamina in Warframe?

As it currently exists => It should be removed entirely - it is unnecessary.

Potentially => It should be changed/modified in some way.

But that's purely conjectural.

Voted: It should be removed entirely - it is unnecessary.

=====

Wish Upon a Star Chart

The proposed Solar Map rework is a relatively blank slate, with the goal of streamlining and optimizing missions nodes. 1) If you’re fearful of the proposed changes, what would you like to see change, if anything? 2) Do you like having an abundance of nodes of each mission type? 3) Do you think condensing nodes will create a more unified play experience? 4) Do you think condensing nodes will make finding groups easier? 5) If you were to create a more dynamic Solar Map with varying mission types and modifiers, how would you do it? 6) What nodes or aspects of the Solar Map do you think are redundant, if any?

1) Honestly, as far as nodes go, my only problem is the profusion of redundant nodes making unlocking the star chart a chore - and making it harder to find a squad for the unwanted nodes.

Remove them, and I have no problem with the node system.

(I attribute the unclarity, the lack of direction, etc. to the new star chart display, which is a different thing.)

2) If there were any significant, tangible differences between them, I wouldn't mind.

There aren't.

3) I honestly don't understand what that question is asking.

What, exactly, does 'a more unified play experience' mean?

4) Yes, to a point.

If you're unlocking, say, Ceres, and having trouble with, say, a defense, you wouldn't have the players split between Casta and Varro.

On the other hand, Gefion/Cerium (Hijack) would still see less play than every other node combined, due to effort vs. reward.

Which is a whole different problem.

tl;dr - part of the reason that nodes are 'ghost towns' is the redundency. But most of it is the wildly varying rewards between gamemodes.

5) Question unclear. Please try again.

This'd require its own post. I'll try to boil down to keywords and hope they're sufficient.

A) Full-on alerts, select few but long duration.

B) Full-on alerts, many of short duration, high turnover.

C) Multi-mission chains driven by player action. (Success/failure. Choose outcome A or B. Time limit. Challenges. etc.)

D) Pre-known single-mission chains.

6) Redundant, duplicate nodes.

What is your initial opinion of the proposed Solar Map changes?

=> I’m not sure yet - need more information.

=====

Trials

The Trials are finally on all platforms, so we’re able to discuss them now with the community at large. The source thread for this hot topic suggests that the Trials ought to have more instructions to help guide players. What do you think? 1) Are the Trials too mysterious? 2) Should they have more instructions? 3) Do you think they are too easy to figure out? 4) Should they be more vague/complex? Post your opinion in this thread.

1) Nope.

I figured out the Trial in under and hour's run.

I still have no idea how to kill that %*@!ing Kril.

2) Wouldn't be bad, but not needed.

3) They were pretty well spelled out, yes.

Too easy? Eh. YMMV, I guess.

4) No.

It adds little but frustration (see my above re: Lech Kril), and it's only a puzzle until someone figures it out.

I thought the current raid did a pretty good job of 'show, don't tell'.

How much instruction do you think Trials should provide to players?

=> A little instruction - point us in the right direction.

=====

Waframe after 30

Like Logan’s Run, a significant number of weapons and Warframes are at the end of their days once they hit 30. The hot topic for this thread suggests a few potential ways to extend the progression of your favourites, instead of being finished at 30. 1) Would you prefer to continue leveling your favourite gear in lieu of leveling new stuff? 2) If so, what kind of progression do you think makes sense beyond 30? 3) How would you balance 30+ weapons and warframes? 4) What other things need to be considered?

Aww come on, NO.

Start from the beginning, as I see it:

People asking for past-30 progression come in one of two flavors: Sweet and salty

- Those who like a weapon and want to to fall off later (or not at all) in the damage vs. enemy scaling.

Here, the thing to be addressed is enemy scaling not epeen enlargement further weapon leveling.

- Those whom it pains to see exp go to waste.

For the latter (which include me), there's the Focus system. Eventually. Maybe. And if there isn't, tough noogies.

Every game with a level system has a max level beyond with exp can't be accrued to any useful purpose.

In those games where it can, it's invariably additional grind or power creep (or, naturally, both).

So the following is regarding the former.

1) NO. A) You're just inviting power creep. B) 'Leveling' is the tedium I'm forced to go through before I can start having fun. I don't want more of it tacked on once I'm finally done with it.

P.S. I still hate the loss of ability mods. Makes leveling frames that much more unpleasant.

2) Exists. It's called 'Forma'.

3) Exists. Between potatos and Forma, the true and only unmitigatable cap on a weapon's potential is A) it's base stats and B) 8 mod slots.

(A frame's would be A) its skillset and B) 8 mod slots. Because between 75% Power Efficiency and enemy scaling, most frame stats are irrelevant)

4) Considered in regards to what?

=> No, 30 is perfect.

To be fair, the specifics don't matter to me. The progression system can be whatever.

So my vote possibly should have been => Maybe - depends on the system.

But I 'level' stuff because I have to, not because I enjoy it.

Choose whatever progression system you like, I don't think it matters to me. Just don't start moving the goalposts on me.

Edited by Chroia

About Raids: In my honest opinion, players entirely new to them should have a one-time short announcer tutorial that point them to the right way and acclimate them to the considerably different pace of this mode. My hope is that after the initial tutorial the more experienced players could help guide the 'new' players through the nuances of each individual Trial.

Stamina

I think Stamina is a good idea, it just needs to be fine-tuned IMHO.  It needs to have 3 levels, based on the rp thing of being beings with superhuman abilities:-

Low usage: sprint (it's not like running for a long time should get a space ninja out of puff, you should be able to run across say half to two thirds of the entirety of an average map without running out of steam, the current rate is just embarrassing).

Medium usage: parkour abilities (this should be about the same as the current rate, maybe a little bit more generous but not much)

High usage: melee moves and combos (slightly higher than current).  Slightly less for "light" melee weapons (dagger, skana, etc.)

Star Map

The main desiderata for me are, I want to be able to play with other people in PUGs as soon as I log in,and I want to always be playing on varied maps.  So long as those two criteria are fulfilled, I don't mind how it's done, although if it's possible to keep some illusion of being a free-roaming Tenno in a spaceship too, that would be nice.  The only problem with the Star Map is that it's hard to find teams to fill it out, which is why Alerts are always preferable. 

Edited by Omnimorph

whenever its is a topic about the new star chat its nearly everytime a witch hunt. people fear the unknown and uncertain changes - and they are prone to fear/hate the unknown. 

Personally I'm hoping that the changes are for the better.

"after 30'ies" ... i wish to the "old" skill tree (with a makeover) to be implemented to stuff after reaching lvl 30. it can be a part of focus or a completely different system.

Saying “so long!” to Stamina

The change to Stamina is still a work in progress, but assuming it does get removed, what changes and/or mechanics would you like to see implemented instead? How would you change Mods and effects that currently rely on Stamina? Do you think Stamina has value? If you had the choice, would you modify it instead of removing it? What do you think the benefits to removing stamina are, if any? Please, post your thoughts/comments/ideas in this thread.

Wish Upon a Star Chart
The proposed Solar Map rework is a relatively blank slate, with the goal of streamlining and optimizing missions nodes. If you’re fearful of the proposed changes, what would you like to see change, if anything? Do you like having an abundance of nodes of each mission type? Do you think condensing nodes will create a more unified play experience? Do you think condensing nodes will make finding groups easier? If you were to create a more dynamic Solar Map with varying mission types and modifiers, how would you do it? What nodes or aspects of the Solar Map do you think are redundant, if any?

Trials
The Trials are finally on all platforms, so we’re able to discuss them now with the community at large. The source thread for this hot topic suggests that the Trials ought to have more instructions to help guide players. What do you think? Are the Trials too mysterious? Should they have more instructions? Do you think they are too easy to figure out? Should they be more vague/complex? Post your opinion in this thread.

Waframe after 30
Like Logan’s Run, a significant number of weapons and Warframes are at the end of their days once they hit 30. The hot topic for this thread suggests a few potential ways to extend the progression of your favourites, instead of being finished at 30. Would you prefer to continue leveling your favourite gear in lieu of leveling new stuff? If so, what kind of progression do you think makes sense beyond 30? How would you balance 30+ weapons and warframes? What other things need to be considered?

Stamina

>> Stamina is, to me, more something that limits the fun potential of Warframe and ninja feelings, which is why I support it's removal (blocking would be handled with a dedicated value instead).

Star Chart

>> 3 planets don't have rare resources. Chances are players are not farming on these (Neptune (16), Sedna (28), Venus (15)), so the number of missions could be reduced there first to see how players react. Same goes for Eris (29), Uranus (26), Saturn (24), etc... Generally, I don't find that more than 5-7 missions per planet are needed.

>> Void Rifts (in addition to player keys)

What they are : rare occurences that open a rift on any planet for players to be able to travel to the Void. When this happens, a golden node appears on the concerned planet.

How they work : rifts lead to special Void missions in which no prime part is rewarded. Instead, a scalable emblem / sigil shows your rift-traveller experience. Players have to either pass 10 defense waves, survive for 10 minutes, intercept 2 messages, etc... Although they don't require a Void key, rifts are unstable and only last for a few minutes. Enemy levels in rifts are equal to twice the average level on the planet they appeared on.

What they add : dynamism, a new emblem / sigil that ranks up every X rifts you complete (awarding cosmetics)

Trials

>> I like this mysterious side that encourages players to figure out themselves how to complete a trial. To me, this is part of the end-game challenges (some might choose to look for the solution online, I do not for this reason).

30+ items

>> I definitely think that we need something after level 30, but my point of view is not to make the weapon / Warframe more powerful. I thought of two things :

1. A cosmetic upgrade that we could turn on / off, like a special energy effect (aura, energy trail, lightning, energy flow...). This could open the way to more cosmetics.

2. A "weapon / Warframe mastery", along with a scaling emblem (for Warframe) or symbol (on weapons).

3. Both.

To obtain these, I thought of a "level 30+" that would be equal to level 0-30. For each level 30+ passed, the aura / energy trail or whatever effect you have glows brighter, and your mastery emblem / sigil ranks up.
Edited by Biomod1150

Now I don't even know if I think that blocking needs to drain anything in PVE (I'm still pondering that),

Are you considering that blocking is directional, and the only gamemode in which you don't (potentially) have enemies spawning behind you is Exterminate?

Granted there is the aura mod, but the aura mod is more fair as we can choose between a gun based mod or a melee one.

Or you can just say 'screw both' and equip Corrosive Projection.

(ohai enemy scaling!)

Anyhow, good set of posts.

=====

<snip>

The problem at hand is that you've concentrated all your worthwhile loot in a few sparsely-populated corners of your game world. I agree that the sheer number of available nodes could stand to be reduced, but it should be a simple matter of spreading out your loot more evenly. Or, you know, giving us a reason to play your game besides hunting loot.

To make matters worse, you've shelled up behind this "nothing's set in stone" excuse that nobody buys and everybody is uneasy about.<snip>

With the caveat regarding Stamina of: 'depends what-if-any beneficial use you're going to put it to',

I felt that just +1ing this (entire) post wasn't enough.

Left this part for particular emphasis.

Edited by Chroia

Stamina

My view on Stamina is it can be removed from sprinting or performing acrobatics. Blocking with weapon removes stamina as well and i am not sure if I want it to be removed because if it is removed, players will be switching to melee and blocking everything (except blast proc) without any penalty. Stamina should also be removed from Arch wing as it feels strange that the arch wing "runs out" of stamina when i think it uses fuel? or battery power?

So remove stamina for fluid parkour would be great. however, use stamina for blocking and attacking would ensure that players keep an eye on what they are doing for the moment.

Star Map changes

Like I previously mentioned somewhere on the forums, there is not much infomation and no preview on what is being done and with that I cannot comment much. Currently I feel it is alright the way it is.

Instruction on Trial

The problem with the trial is it is difficult and players cannot explore much due to the fact that they need to support one another to avoid getting killed. Due to that, not many players know what is happening and only follow instructions from players who have played it. I myself have been one of those "following" orders and do not really enjoy the trials as I do not know what i am doing. Perhaps some instructions can be provided so players know what they are doing instead of just following orders? Or perhaps a "simulator" can be created that provides players a practice run similar to the Mastery Rank tests?

Progression past 30

Not sure if this refers only to weapons or everything that is currently limited at 30. Mixed reactions to this. Past 30 would mean more powerful weapons, companions and warframes. but that would mean a requirement to balance the increase by increasing the enemies' level as well. Currently I think the balance is more or less good and there is no need to upset the balance. 

Giving weapons new life by using them to build new weapons is a great idea to "freshen" things up imo however, it will require careful thought as you dont want to make the new weapon too powerful and upset the balance and also want to make the weapon powerful enough to ensure players want it.