Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So I'm Wondering..who Else Compulsively Edits?

Ordel

I'll admit it. I edit my posts about 12-13 times on average. I add small details, I fix spelling errors, I change ideas, I change sentences for clarity, I cut and paste paragraphs, I make grammatical corrections, etc. Seems to not be an issue on the rare occasion that I'm OP, though. Everytime I make a change I hit the "Submit Changes" or whatever button and then keep going back, doing each change in one segment and then repeating.

So I was wondering, do other people do this or am I just extremely weird?

(or both)

EDIT: See, here I am doing it again. Guess I'm a liar ayy lmao

But I wanted to add, I do this on EVERY forum I lurk in, not just the WF forums. But this is probably the place I do it most.

Edited by Ordel

I actually am the opposite. I try to edit my posts as little as possible as the *Edited by Imaru at [time]* tagline at the bottom of the post I feel negatively impacts my credibility as it shows that I could have changed my argument completely to comply with every one else's opinion. 

I edit if i notice a typo, but normally i proof read what I've typed before i post it. Seems easier than constant edits.

Yeah, and you're definitely right. It is. I just think I'm irrationally compulsive about it. Most times it's because I feel like I need to elaborate on an idea; I don't really make that many typing mistakes. I proofread as I go (when I'm not lazy).

I actually am the opposite. I try to edit my posts as little as possible as the *Edited by Imaru at [time]* tagline at the bottom of the post I feel negatively impacts my credibility as it shows that I could have changed my argument completely to comply with every one else's opinion. 

Hmm. That's an interesting thought. I never thought of editing a post THAT much.

I see where you're coming from though. I would probably be the same way if I cared about credibility on forums anymore. :P

i try to avoid it, but i have a bit of a 'rainman syndrome'*, where i think of important things to say after the fact quite often.

*: i think i'm getting that right. AFAIK that term implies someone that can have useful and important thoughts, but usually only thinks of them later, after the fact, late, Et Cetera.

Wow, getting lots of forum gods on my post? I feel special. <3

I can definitely relate to rainman syndrome and thinking faster than I type. That's usually how I end up editing a post upwards of 10 times due to wanting to add more stuffing to it.

You should practise to better form your ideas in your head, and be more confident when you put in down in text. The more you do it, the less you'll need to go back for edits.

If you form it succinctly the first time, you'll not need to edit the post thereafter.

Granted, sometimes you may miss something and may need to add a bit at the end. But that's fine. It's only the internet.

As long as you don't do that IRL it's not too bad. If i had to constantly re-edit a 35 page thesis like that (especially the "change ideas" part) i'd go mental ;)

Proofreading also helps a bunch too.

If i do edit to add something i will generally add "EDIT" at the bottom with what i added to my original post, i tend not to edit my original post too often unless i see something blatantly erroneous usually brought on by my trust in auto-correct T_T

EDIT:

Generally, this is how i edit ;)

Edited by MillbrookWest

proofread once before posting; usually only edit if there is a post script that came up post-posting as a way to not double or triple post. Generally ignore minor grammar mistakes and the use of punctuation if the overall text is comprehensable enough.

You should practise to better form your ideas in your head, and be more confident when you put in down in text. The more you do it, the less you'll need to go back for edits.

If you form it succinctly the first time, you'll not need to edit the post thereafter.

Granted, sometimes you may miss something and may need to add a bit at the end. But that's fine. It's only the internet.

As long as you don't do that IRL it's not too bad. If i had to constantly re-edit a 35 page thesis like that (especially the "change ideas" part) i'd go mental ;)

Proofreading also helps a bunch too.

If i do edit to add something i will generally add "EDIT" at the bottom with what i added to my original post, i tend not to edit my original post too often unless i see something blatantly erroneous usually brought on by my trust in auto-correct T_T

EDIT:

Generally, this is how i edit ;)

Ahh, trust me, I'm set IRL. It's just on forums I do this. I guess it's the whole "Ahh screw it, it's just a lowly forum post anyway- Who's gonna see it?" mentality that has me coming back to a post several times. As you said, it IS only the internet.

As for forming ideas in my head, eh. I'm that type of person that has two modes: "I care" and "I don't care" when it comes to writing of any type. I don't have an issue with this at times when it really counts ie. english class. I was just kinda curious to see if other people edited as oddly as I do.

--

Overally though, I don't really have a problem with my editing habits. If I wanted to, I could just make single posts and be done with them. Iunno, I'm lazy and I don't ever put much effort into a post the first time I post it. It's not like this is a problem I'm trying to get fixed or anything. Just tryna gauge exactly how weird I am.

Edited by Ordel

I usually have to edit because I think faster than I type; ending up skipping over and not including words...

i do this then typos i edit, and finally when i make a post i think of a great addition for it.

I generally try not to edit, unless something very important (or funny) demands it. These days, I like to be in the habit of thinking something through carefully before I commit it to the page. I'm sure I haven't always been that way, but people are fluid, so whatever.

This is the part where you can tell the migraine is hurting my ability to do thinkwords.