Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Change Alerts To Tenno Research

rhoenix

To repost this from where I posted it in other threads:

Here's an idea for the Alert system to eliminate the random nature of the Alert system's chances, and replace the randomness with a Research point-based system. This research-based system could even include the spending of Platinum to help DE. This is meant to address and account for the great number of rare items possible within the Alert system, keeping them difficult to acquire while also giving players to play completely on their schedule, not worrying about the random nature of Alert mission presentation.

This would require a new area in the interface next to the Foundry, called Research. One can select a Research Project as being "active", which would mean that it would actively receive Research Points from Alerts. As an Alert is completed, that Research Project would receive a certain number of points toward completion. A player would also have the option to spend Platinum if they wish to reduce the number of points required by half.

As an in-game example, let's say someone selects the Vauban Helmet Schematic as a Research Project, which would require (arbitrarily) 100,000 Research Points to unlock. If an Alert mission gives 1/15th (again, arbitrarily) the number of research points that it does credits each time, then per Alert, you'd get about 150-750 Research Points toward unlocking the Vauban Helmet per Alert mission completed.

A player would also have the option to spend 20 Platinum to reduce the total number of Research Points needed for a given active project down to 50,000, making it easier if they're willing to devote the Platinum toward getting it.

This same system can be influenced by Raid missions (similar to the Fusion MOA mission a short time ago), giving players an increased amount of research points for missions completed for that Raid.

(edit: 1/15 ratio proposed by crazycanadian24; corrected from 1/20)

Additional details, developed through debate & discussion further in this thread (added proper summary below):

- Only one Research Project could be "active" at a time in order to receive Research Points from a given Alert mission. (thanks to Meek.)

- Only one Research Project could be finished in a given 24-hour period; if another is completed before the 24 hours are up, then it will simply wait to activate until 24 hours pass. (thanks to Meek., and GratuitiousLurking)

- "Leftover" research points from finishing a given project can be immediately put into another project (including an inactive project), or donated to a clan-member, if the user is in a Clan. (thanks to Meek.)

- Alert missions would give a base ratio of 1/15, in terms of Research Points earned versus credits earned from a given Alert mission. A random value would be added to this, allowing for greater variation of Alert RP values. (thanks to xenapan)

- Which items appear as available for research would be based on player ranking - the higher an individual player's ranking, the more items would be available for research. (with thanks to nearly everyone who posted in the thread so far)

- This Research system could be used to add modularity to the upcoming Clan Research feature in the upcoming U8.

- Orokin Catalysts & Orokin Reactor blueprints will still be available from Alert missions, as there was no truly fair & equitable way found to limit the ability to research & acquire Orokin blueprints. Therefore, the Orokin Catalysts/Reactors will not be available for research. (thanks to discussions with Meek. & Socordia)

Edited by rhoenix

Really awesome idea. Definitely worth developing. Gives incentive for those who work on 2k credits alerts. And definitely something to work for in the long run for sustainability.

Although 200+ alert missions to get 1 helmet is a bit too far fetched.

The only down side I see to this is that there will always be some players complaining about grind fest.

Although 200+ alert missions to get 1 helmet is a bit too far fetched.

The only down side I see to this is that there will always be some players complaining about grind fest.

They're arbitrary numbers - I originally had the ratio at 1/10. I like 1/10 more, but I thought DE would appreciate a 1/20 ratio better.

Very nice concept, I love it.

Achieves the same goal set forth by the alerts for DE in a more effective and consistent manner. Makes people want to play all the alerts they can, not just camp the one they need.

As well as increase plat consumption and not make it feel like you can play for years and just be unlucky and never get that one thing you're looking for.

They're arbitrary numbers - I originally had the ratio at 1/10. I like 1/10 more, but I thought DE would appreciate a 1/20 ratio better.

Oh yeah, another thing to add, this new system could be used to dispense future weapon/warframe parts blueprint as well.

Perhaps taking up 2 or even 3 projects at the same time (I suppose for this to work research points would need to be exclusive, non-currency based for each project.)

Perhaps even it could be even integrated with the clan base, everyone in the clan do their alerts, and the research points is pooled together to build something fantastic!

The only down side I see to this is that there will always be some players complaining

You ever seen the commercial with Jimmy Falon about free cash and the baby who doesn't want it?

yeah. There will always be people who complain no matter what.

Always.

But this idea still kicks &#! from here to Pluto. haha

You ever seen the commercial with Jimmy Falon about free cash and the baby who doesn't want it?

yeah. There will always be people who complain no matter what.

Always.

But this idea still kicks &#! from here to Pluto. haha

Yeah, maybe if an idea could please 80 to 90% of the community it would be a great success.

Actually the truth in almost every free to pay game you'd have a need to work for something, slowly and steadily we advance through higher ranks, giving a great sense of accomplishment.

A great example (although not a free game); Skyrim/Elder Scrolls series or Fallout series. Bethesda allows you to cheat, yet some players prefer to play the game without using any of that

Oh yeah, another thing to add, this new system could be used to dispense future weapon/warframe parts blueprint as well.

Perhaps taking up 2 or even 3 projects at the same time (I suppose for this to work research points would need to be exclusive, non-currency based for each project.)

Perhaps even it could be even integrated with the clan base, everyone in the clan do their alerts, and the research points is pooled together to build something fantastic!

That's actually an excellent extension idea - allow fellow clan-members to be able to donate research points to each other (subtracted from their own current total, and therefore not possible with an item that has 0 research points).

Additionally, this system would allow for blueprints for clan projects, which would allow multiple clan members to research at once.

+1, masterful idea. I'm all up for it.

Maybe in addition to this add the difficulty of alert in consideration. Higher difficulty adds a small bonus to the points you receive.

Also, some kind of limit should be present, whether to amount of points you can earn daily or amount of research you can do (lets say weekly).

I believe limitless approach to this would inevitably lead to hardcore players doing everything within days and then demanding that they don't have anything to do in game anymore.

+1, masterful idea. I'm all up for it.

Maybe in addition to this add the difficulty of alert in consideration. Higher difficulty adds a small bonus to the points you receive.

Also, some kind of limit should be present, whether to amount of points you can earn daily or amount of research you can do (lets say weekly).

I believe limitless approach to this would inevitably lead to hardcore players doing everything within days and then demanding that they don't have anything to do in game anymore.

Adding a better point ratio for higher difficulty levels makes sense - it also encourages more players to do so.

As for limits, that's fairly easy to do and still be fair - only allow for one research item to be completed per 24 hour period.

That's actually an excellent extension idea - allow fellow clan-members to be able to donate research points to each other (subtracted from their own current total, and therefore not possible with an item that has 0 research points).

Additionally, this system would allow for blueprints for clan projects, which would allow multiple clan members to research at once.

Good but I doubt making the research points a currency(that could be subtracted) would not work as nicely here's why;

Let's say if this is implemented, everyone starts off with 0 research points. Everyone will be doing alerts for their desired weapons or blueprints first, it's safe to say that little points will be poured in to the clan research pool.

So what I'm suggesting, each alert to give every project in your hands an equal amount of points upon completion let's just say for a player named Jon.

Jon takes on 2 project on hand

Corpus Railgun(hopefully in the future!) Blueprint research (0 research points on initiation)

Vauban Systems Blueprint research (0 research points on initiation)

Jon is in a clan. His clan leader Mark decides to take on a project at the same time as well.

Clan project - Tenno resting room (0 research points on initiation)

Jon does an alert. It gives him 500 research points so now we have.

Corpus Railgun Blueprint research (500 research points now)

Vauban Systems Blueprint research (500 research points now)

It gives the 500 points to the clan research as well, so;

Clan project - Tenno resting room (500 research points now)

The same thing goes for Mark, if Mark does the alert, it is pooled together in the clan research. Making it 1000 points for the clan project if 2 people do the alert.

However, if Jon decides take on another project AFTER he does the alert. He would have;

Corpus Railgun Blueprint research (500 research points now)

Vauban Systems Blueprint research (500 research points now)

Vauban Helmet Blueprint research (0 points on initiation)

Same thing goes for the clan projects too.

Edited by Meek.

Hm, it sure sounds like a good idea, but im kinda on the fence about it. If its implemented it has to be done in a way  that wont require you to sink in 10 hours of gameplay to just get one item. And for this to work well need the material alerts because the choice between doing alerts and farming for mats will become really hard, especially with the current alloy situation.

Theres also the problem that this way getting items only purchasable with plat might become too easy and reduce the willingness of ppl to spend plat knowing that they dont have to rely on the rng gods to get stuff.

But still if this gets implemented sensibly it can become a much better system than the one we have now.

I disapprove of this message.

Wanna reveal the reason as to why you dont like it? Or is it too hard to write more than one sentence. Im really fed up with ppl just going into a thread and saying NO. This is a stupid idea, without divulging why... I mean thats why they removed the bloody downvotes so that if you disagree youll have to say why. With the same success you couldve just not posted anything...

overdosed, on 20 May 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

Hm, it sure sounds like a good idea, but im kinda on the fence about it. If its implemented it has to be done in a way that wont require you to sink in 10 hours of gameplay to just get one item. And for this to work well need the material alerts because the choice between doing alerts and farming for mats will become really hard, especially with the current alloy situation.

Theres also the problem that this way getting items only purchasable with plat might become too easy and reduce the willingness of ppl to spend plat knowing that they dont have to rely on the rng gods to get stuff.

But still if this gets implemented sensibly it can become a much better system than the one we have now.

Well first, if this was implemented, then any Alert that popped up would help you, so it wouldn't take anywhere near 10 hours total. Maybe 2-3, depending on how many areas you have cleared for Alerts to pop up. Additionally, the current Alert chances to also give items could simply be replaced to give different random materials instead, in addition to the research points they'd provide.

As for items purchasable by platinum, that's fairly easy to take care of - simply make sure that there are quite a few items you can't buy with platinum, and by the same token, several things you can get much more easily with platinum than you can with Alerts, or even at all. For instance, buying a new Warframe with platinum directly instead of researching each part (as with the Vauban, and maybe the Banshee if this is implemented) would still give an automatic Orokin reactor, and the satisfaction of having it instantly. Additionally, the normal Market would still be the only way to get most weapons, or weapon schematics - the only ones you could not purchase in the Market (such as the Plasma Sword) would be available through research.

Good but I doubt making the research points a currency(that could be subtracted) would not work as nicely here's why;

Let's say if this is implemented, everyone starts off with 0 research points. Everyone will be doing alerts for their desired weapons or blueprints first, it's safe to say that little points will be poured in to the clan research pool.

So what I'm suggesting, each alert to give every project in your hands an equal amount of points upon completion let's just say for a player named Jon.

<snip examples>

Same thing goes for the clan projects too.

A fair point, but that's easily solved - only allow one research project be "active" at a time per player. If you want to work on a clan schematic, then ok - you wouldn't be able to put points into anything else until you either changed to something else (in which case the previous progress would simply be frozen, until re-activated), or complete that particular project.

By the same token, if you're currently researching the Vauban Helmet Blueprint, you wouldn't be able to put points into anything else, unless you changed to a different active project, as the research points would automatically be put into the active project at the end of each successful mission.

Edited by rhoenix

A fair point, but that's easily solved - only allow one research project be "active" at a time per player. If you want to work on a clan schematic, then ok - you wouldn't be able to put points into anything else until you either changed to something else (in which case the previous progress would simply be frozen, until re-activated), or complete that particular project.

By the same token, if you're currently researching the Vauban Helmet Blueprint, you wouldn't be able to put points into anything else, unless you changed to a different active project, as the research points would automatically be put into the active project at the end of each successful mission.

Active projects hmm, nice.

I'm worried about players will prioritized their own projects on hand, leaving the clan projects little contribution from the generous players.

How about separating up the active projects into slots? Players would perhaps have 2 or 3 personal active projects slots such as their warframe blueprints etc. and another separate slot exclusively for clan active projects. In that sense everyone in the clan can contribute freely to the clan projects and on the same time work on their own personal projects.

Edited by Meek.