Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Finishers Are Slow. Let Us Rebind Them.

shut

My first thread on this was merged into the Excal feedback megathread, so I'm reposting with more emphasis that this isn't an Excalibur-exclusive issue; Excal just happens to be the frame that suffers from this the most. Hopefully this is okay with the moderators.

THE PROBLEM--

Finishers are powerful and great for oneshotting things, but they're slow. When trying to sweep down a group of 10+ enemies at once, you can (and very often will) cancel straight into a Finisher animation if one of the guys you're hitting is Finisher-prompted somehow (ground finishers, parry finishers, undetected-stealth finishers, or otherwise). The result is that your character ends up picking off one enemy at a time, despite your keyboard input strictly saying "kill them all".

Being able to actively choose between a basic sword swing and a very-slow, very-powerful, immobile, single-target OHKO attack should be a basic feature of our controls.

Many players don't find this to be too much of an issue. Many others do.

THE SOLUTION--

is simple. Give us the option to rebind Finishers from Melee (E) to Contextual Use (X).

tl;dr

Normal attacks be fast, finishers be slow. Let us move finishers to a different button if we want.

Edited by SortaRandom

So if we don't want to do a finisher, we can attack the enemy without doing finisher damage right?

Yep! Just a normal attack with normal attack damage.

Edited by SortaRandom

Not even the standard blind crit damage on the first strike?

If it applies to the situation (e.g. Radial Blind causing blindness), then yep, the stealth multiplier applies as usual. Nothing fancy; you just do a normal swing instead of a Finisher.

Nope, the problem with OP's suggestion is there will now be a half ! band-aid solution for a minor majority of players.

I'm not seeing any problems with my suggestion; simplicity does not imply "half-assed band-aid"-ness. All I want is to be able to choose whether to do a light attack or a heavy attack, which is as basic a functionality as having Jump and Crouch on separate buttons (as opposed to both being the Space Bar and dependent on camera direction or something).

Care to elaborate what you find wrong?

Edited by SortaRandom

If it applies to the situation (e.g. Radial Blind causing blindness), then yep, the stealth multiplier applies as usual. Nothing fancy; you just do a normal swing instead of a Finisher.

Thank Rngesus, i was hoping when you said 'normal attack damage' you didn't actually mean 'normal attack damage'. The damage without the stealth multiplier is a tad lackluster.

I'm not seeing any problems with my suggestion; simplicity does not imply "half-assed band-aid"-ness. All I want is to be able to choose whether to do a light attack or a heavy attack; which is as basic a functionality as having Jump and Crouch on separate buttons.

Care to elaborate what you find wrong?

Two hotkeys, both do essentially the same thing except one won't respond to finisher openings and won't do finisher damage.

I was expecting an actual fix to the problem instead of giving a band-aid and a kiss on the forehead .

It would be nice if they sped up some of the finisher animations as well.

What I'm worried about is that with all the Excal players clamoring for Finishers to change, the devs will just do a blanket boost on Finisher speed and call it a day instead of properly addressing the issue.

Two hotkeys, both do essentially the same thing except one won't respond to finisher openings and won't do finisher damage.

That's what I was suggesting, yes. I see nothing wrong with this.

I think you may have misinterpreted my stated problem as being "Finishers are too slow to be useful" or something, which is why an option to avoid them would look like a crappy bandaid. That's not what I was saying. Finishers are great; I love me some Finishers. But while there are situations in which I'd prefer a Finisher over a normal attack, there are also situations in which I'd prefer a normal attack over a Finisher-- which is why I think we should be able to separate them. They're both good, but they're too different to share a button.

If you don't feel the same way, then no problem, an option is an option. Everyone wins.

Edited by SortaRandom

I was expecting an actual fix to the problem instead of giving a band-aid and a kiss on the forehead .

The actual problem being? Finisher attacks are too slow? Perhaps, but considering the amount of damage they do i think it's worth the time to use one when you're up against a bombard.

However that's irrelevant, this thread is to solve the problem of having to finisher attack every blinded enemy if you're running with melee. So this is a fix to the problem presented in the OP. If you have a different problem, start a new thread.

The actual problem being? Finisher attacks are too slow? Perhaps, but considering the amount of damage they do i think it's worth the time to use one when you're up against a bombard.

However that's irrelevant, this thread is to solve the problem of having to finisher attack every blinded enemy if you're running with melee. So this is a fix to the problem presented in the OP. If you have a different problem, start a new thread.

Exactly what I'm already doing, except on Reddit of all places.

What I'm worried about is that with all the Excal players clamoring for Finishers to change, the devs will just do a blanket boost on Finisher speed and call it a day instead of properly addressing the issue.

Hmm... I'm always wanting finishers (ground and counters) and stealth attacks (where you do the stealth finisher animation) to be instant kills. But that's just me.

I wouldn't mind rebinding it to the interact/contextual use button, since there are times where if I slide attack within a certain proximity of an enemy, it makes me auto stealth finish; which throws me off sometimes.

The problem is that people don't want to be forced into doing a Finisher every time there's an opening. His suggestion is to have two buttons so people can choose. How is that not a fix to the problem?

The problem is that people don't want to be forced into doing a Finisher every time there's an opening. His suggestion is to have two buttons so people can choose. How is that not a fix to the problem?

You play on Console right? Yeah you won't get this fix then.

You play on Console right? Yeah you won't get this fix then.

TIL that console users are unable to open lockers.

(But snarky response aside, console players DO have a Contextual Use button. Clutter is not an issue with this suggestion since a new button is not introduced.)

TIL that console users are unable to open lockers.

(But snarky response aside, console players DO have a Contextual Use button. Clutter is not an issue with this suggestion since a new button is not introduced.)

That's the problem I kinda have with OP's solution.