Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Finishers Are Slow. Let Us Rebind Them.

shut

Yes please. I pretty much exclusively use guns for stealth gameplay, because stealth finishers take so long. You really need to be able to strike quickly and move to cover before other enemies have the chance to spot you. Even if you take the lazy route and rely on Loki's invisibility, stealth finishers are still problematic because they waste so much of your invisibility duration, increasing the likelihood of being caught out in the open when it wears off.

Fun story.

About a year and a half ago, I was running through a mission as Loki when I find a group of Grineer sitting in more or less the same spot. So I grab my Orthos, I prepare myself mentally for this absolutely nasty quintuple-kill that I'm about to get, charge in, perform a slide attack, and then halfway through the slide attack animation it cuts off into a Finisher.

I watch in despair as one of the Grineer teleports two feet and rotates nearly 90 degrees, my Loki leaps into the air and does a super dramatic side-flip thing, my Invisibility runs out, my Loki finishes the super dramatic side-flip thing and cracks the grineer in the back of the head with the Orthos, and I get instagibbed by the rest of the Grineer buddies who would've been lying in a pool of their own blood if it weren't for the stupid Finisher activating.

It was at that point that I realized that I really, REALLY hated how finishers shared identical input with normal attacks.

What if holding shift or forward and performing a melee attack will do the normal attacks even on enemies which are ready for finishers, while just pressing attack will make that finishers happen? this way no need for any special buttons, and console players can recieve such option too.  

What if holding shift or forward and performing a melee attack will do the normal attacks even on enemies which are ready for finishers, while just pressing attack will make that finishers happen? this way no need for any special buttons, and console players can recieve such option too.  

Extra buttons aren't an issue, since everyone already has Contextual Use (including console players). No new buttons are added.

As (PS4)MrNishi pointed out, keeping Finishers on E but somehow separating the inputs (e.g. holding E for Finishers as Karukiku suggested, or having zero directional input as you suggest) can be problematic since it can interfere with combos. What if the combo we want to do just happens to require holding E, or what if we want to avoid the combo that requires holding W? Stuff like that.

Granted, it's not like it's going to happen overly often (and won't happen at all for many stances), but there will still be instances where the game can get confused about your input and perform an unwanted Finisher. This is what I'd prefer to avoid, however rare it may be.

Edited by SortaRandom

Extra buttons aren't an issue, since everyone already has Contextual Use (including console players). No new buttons are added.

As (PS4)MrNishi pointed out, keeping Finishers on E but somehow separating the inputs (e.g. holding E for Finishers as Karukiku suggested, or having zero directional input as you suggest) can be problematic since it can interfere with combos. What if the combo we want to do just happens to require holding E, or what if we want to avoid the combo that requires holding W? Stuff like that.

Granted, it's not like it's going to happen overly often (and won't happen at all for many stances), but there will still be instances where the game can get confused about your input and perform an unwanted Finisher. This is what I'd prefer to avoid, however rare it may be.

Yep i thought about problems with combos, but in case of holding shift(sprint) + attack probably there wont be any?

Yep i thought about problems with combos, but in case of holding shift(sprint) + attack probably there wont be any?

There's actually a ton of weapons that can sprint and attack at the same time (like, swinging the sword while moving at your frame's full sprint speed). Longswords, polearms, staves (Clashing Forest), etc.

So, sadly, there would be conflicts here as well. xD

Edited by SortaRandom

Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet but... just let us hit multiple enemies at once with a finisher.(with double range)

Single Daggers can already hit frontal cone (Range dependant) while performing Finisher attack.

The real issue is when there are trash adds that you could kill with a normal swing, (Not even needing the Stealth/Unalerted/AoE Parry 400% melee multiple) and you want to kill these adds quickly so you can use the remainder of stun (Finisher setup) to apply the Armor-Ignore' Finisher damage on a heavy-target.

It would allow a Tenno, more control over Melee combat and allow for a more practical approach.

- On the flip-side, someone could have asked that all Stealth/Unalerted/Parry'd enemies take only Finisher Damage and single target finishers just get removed. (But this would not be balanced: Prism/Blind/Paralysis a room and use Primed Reach melee to clear whole room with Finisher damage with a simple slide attack.....that would be a broken suggestion)

Single Daggers can already hit frontal cone (Range dependant) while performing Finisher attack.

Whoa, what!? This is the first time I've heard of this. Gonna test it out tomorrow morning.

If it's what it sounds like (the dagger still having a hitbox that affects other enemies during the finisher), then I think that this should be standard for all finishers for all weapon types. Not as a replacement for the thread's idea or anything, but it would make sense for, say, the Nikana's execution-looking finisher to cut every enemy the blade slashes past. You know, instead of passing harmlessly though every enemy but that one guy whose knee you kicked down.

Whoa, what!? This is the first time I've heard of this. Gonna test it out tomorrow morning.

If it's what it sounds like (the dagger still having a hitbox that affects other enemies during the finisher), then I think that this should be standard for all finishers for all weapon types. Not as a replacement for the thread's idea or anything, but it would make sense for, say, the Nikana's execution-looking finisher to cut every enemy the blade slashes past. You know, instead of passing harmlessly though every enemy but that one guy whose knee you kicked down.

From Sheev wiki excerpt (http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Sheev):

Though finisher attacks are quite slow, they deal damage in a small area in front you, dealing finisher damage to nearby enemies

Being a console player I wont be able to map out the button, I am out of room as it is. Speeding up the animation will work better for me... and I do believe finishers need to be a bit faster.

How would you not be able to map out the 'Contextual Use button'?

If you do not have the Contextual Use button assigned how are you able to play?

How would you not be able to map out the 'Contextual Use button'?

If you do not have the Contextual Use button assigned how are you able to play?

I believe i misread the end of his post. So he is proposing that we use the context button as a finisher?... if so, it could work for me. Might take a bit of getting used to as i dont like to move my thumb off the analog stick while i melee (i use R1).

Edited by (PS4)GameflowPRO

I believe i misread the end of his post. So he is proposing that we use the context button as a finisher?... if so, it could work for me. Might take a bit of getting used to as i dont like to move my thumb off the analog stick while i melee (i use R1).

Basically you could continue to melee utilizing the 400% stealth/unalerted melee bonus on enemies or choose to single target kill with Finisher.

Parasitic/Leech Eximus would be an example an enemy that may warrant a single target finisher but all other trash adds could be killed with normal melee combo.being buffed by 400%melee stealth modifier.

Basically you could continue to melee utilizing the 400% stealth/unalerted melee bonus on enemies or choose to single target kill with Finisher.

Parasitic/Leech Eximus would be an example an enemy that may warrant a single target finisher but all other trash adds could be killed with normal melee combo.being buffed by 400%melee stealth modifier.

Yea, im really starting to like the idea that I get to apply finishers to targets I see fit instead of it being triggered on every enemy I swing at.

this sounds great