Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Simulor Useless?

ShawnV2

I really want to like this weapon. i mean, it's such a cool concept...but tbh it really seems more gimicky than useful, even in low level missions. Maybe i'm using it wrong? Would be a little better if I could drop a firestorm mod on it.

How's your experience with it?

Edit*

So I think i judged it too quickly. After playing around with it a little more, it's actually not that bad a weapon. Yeah the damage is mediocre, has terrible crit and status, but i think the only real problem is the blast radius. Giving it Firestorm mod or just increasing the blast radius, might just fix it...imo.

Edited by ShawnV2

Its always going to personal preferance as to whether you think its useless or not.

I personally absolutely hated it. The damage feels mediocre, the vortex doesn't pull, which means the DOT damage from the vortex almost always does nothing, the explosion radius is far too small, the balls are damn hard to deal with in close range often meaning you miss everything, and then the worst thing for me, at higher level when its no longer killing in 1 hit the knockback on units hit by the balls is so much that they are out of range of the next explosion meaning that at that stage the weapon is working against itself.

It looks cool, its a cool mechanic, but for me it was so badly let down.

This is how I felt when playing with it, maybe you'll feel differently, and I wouldn't say not to try it based on my own personal feedback, but these are some of the issues I ran into when playing with it.

Edited by H3dsh0t

Its always going to personal preferance as to whether you think its useless or not.

I personally absolutely hated it. The damage feels mediocre, the vortex doesn't pull, which means the DOT damage from the vortex almost always does nothing, the explosion radius is far too small, the balls are damn hard to deal with in close range often meaning you miss everything, and then the worst thing for me, at higher level when its no longer killing in 1 hit the knockback on units hit by the balls is so much that they are out of range of the next explosion meaning that at that stage the weapon is working against itself.

It looks cool, its a cool mechanic, but for me it was so badly let down.

This is how I felt when playing with it, maybe you'll feel differently, and I wouldn't say not to try it based on my own personal feedback, but these are some of the issues I ran into when playing with it.

^ its bad

The problem for me is that everything that it does well, Castanas do better.

Same basic effect: small explosion with a guaranteed electric proc.

Better in many ways: faster reload, longer range, more controllable, double the base damage and in a far better element.

hall of mirrors is Simulor's best partner. other than that maybe vauban with vortex, but it's still very inflexible. try mirage though, it suddenly becomes a useful weapon.

The argument "use it on mirage and it's better" is a false premise, as the same can be said of absolutely everything, therefore it is not any better compared to other weapons, the baseline has simply been increased

The argument "use it on mirage and it's better" is a false premise, as the same can be said of absolutely everything, therefore it is not any better compared to other weapons, the baseline has simply been increased

well, yes and no. by using hall of mirrors, all particles will merge at once, dealing massive damage. you cant do so by using other warframes/weapon combinations. in other word, the improvement is exponential, but all other weapons, just linear.

I look at it this way: If the only way a weapon can be made to be functional is if you use Mirage to make five copies of it, then the weapon is not worth using. It's fine if a weapon can be made better by Mirage, but when a weapon requires Mirage to be useful then there is a problem. I feel Simulor falls into this latter category.

It's got a relatively short range, which wouldn't be so bad except that the damage requires some setup, which means that you are left vulnerable in close proximity to enemies while you attempt to stack globes to get damage off. Add to that the fact that the actual damage range seems to be pretty inconsistent (I had two enemies standing what appeared to be radially equidistant from an orb. One took several thousand damage, the other took about 300). It just winds up feeling clunky and not very satisfying to use. And unfortunately the clunkiness seems to be a byproduct of its mechanics, so even with a numbers buff I don't think this weapon will be seeing much use.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait a minute, this thing is supposed to have a DoT?  I saw no DoT effect from it during my testing.  I even directly hit a lvl 3 Grineer with the singularity and all it did was alert him to my presence.  It seemed to be more of a flare gun than an actual weapon (unless they're stupid enough to run towards it right as it is about to explode).

I'll keep trying it to see if I can get it to do anything useful, but the pitiful range seems to be a dealbreaker for me.  Might as well just go pure melee for how far this thing fires.  Honestly, I think I could probably throw the singularities farther than the Simulor shoots them.

Wait a minute, this thing is supposed to have a DoT?  I saw no DoT effect from it during my testing.  I even directly hit a lvl 3 Grineer with the singularity and all it did was alert him to my presence.  It seemed to be more of a flare gun than an actual weapon (unless they're stupid enough to run towards it right as it is about to explode).

I'll keep trying it to see if I can get it to do anything useful, but the pitiful range seems to be a dealbreaker for me.  Might as well just go pure melee for how far this thing fires.  Honestly, I think I could probably throw the singularities farther than the Simulor shoots them.

The DoT only kicks in once you stack 5 spheres and create a vortex. That said the range and damage isn't really worth it.

Yeah the damage is mediocre, has terrible crit and status, 

????

The damage is strong since you almost always headshot.  It's critical rate is high enough to warrant using Point Strike on it; those AOE critical headshots are killer.  The status chance is just average but any damaging status effects it inflicts will hit hard due to the high base damage.  It can also proc status on every tick of the mini-vortex, making it effective for applying debuff or CC statuses.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

It's not terrible. It's not amazing. It needs a lot of QoL changes. But even saying all of that, it's not a bad gun.

Try firing it at a pack of nullifiers with high RoF or a quick finger on the detonate button. Watch the hilarity. (Hint: What's glowy and explosive and ignores bubbles?)

Its issues are range, RoF, and reload - the fact that all of them are bad is what drags it down. One of those as a weakness is fine. Two, maybe. All three with low crit and status... that's a pain.

Honestly, I agree with the oft-cited "let us put Firestorm on it" idea. I mean, the thing is an explosive, AoE is its only way of dealing damage, but it can't equip the AoE mod? That sounds like a serious oversight. It also needs to be less... bouncy. More control, but longer range.

That said, its damage actually isn't terrible, it melts faces on defenses (especially infested ones), guaranteed procs are always nice (now if only Magnetic didn't suck), and again, try firing it into a pack of three nulls doing a group hug, making sure they're at the edge of your range.

-/ It's critical rate is high enough to warrant using Point Strike on it /-

Wait... What?!   10% Critical Chance is high and enough in your opinion?  Stop joking please.

Best crit. chance: 50% (Synapse, Amprex and Dread)

Very good crit. chance: 45% (Paris Prime)

Good crit. chance: 30-35% (Soma/ Prime and Tonkor)

Barely acceptable crit. chance: 25% (Grakata/ Prisma, Sybaris and Latron Wraith)

Below those values it is a complete waste of mod's slots. At that point, you should go for damage mods without any hesitation.

And the same goes for pistols, it is EVEN WORSE and more fo a joke (i call the AkSomati 20% crit. chance, Lex Prime 20% also, the famous and none the less Nukor with a damage multiplier at 4.0x while its crit. chance is... 1.0% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!...)

So the poor 10% crit. chance of the Simulor is just nothing to discuss with.

Wait... What?!   10% Critical Chance is high and enough in your opinion?  Stop joking please.

Best crit. chance: 50% (Synapse, Amprex and Dread)

Very good crit. chance: 45% (Paris Prime)

Good crit. chance: 30-35% (Soma/ Prime and Tonkor)

Barely acceptable crit. chance: 25% (Grakata/ Prisma, Sybaris and Latron Wraith)

Below those values it is a complete waste of mod's slots. At that point, you should go for damage mods without any hesitation.

And the same goes for pistols, it is EVEN WORSE and more fo a joke (i call the AkSomati 20% crit. chance, Lex Prime 20% also, the famous and none the less Nukor with a damage multiplier at 4.0x while its crit. chance is... 1.0% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!...)

So the poor 10% crit. chance of the Simulor is just nothing to discuss with.

Critical headshots do x4 damage instead of x2.  Critical headshot procs deal x8 damage.  Any procs I get (Electric, Heat , Gas, Toxin) will deal a chunk of extra damage, and the manual right click explosion always procs electricity in addition to having a regular chance to proc whatever elements are equipped as well.  Very often a critical headshot will kill a heavy unit in one hit where a non-critical shot would not have.  Given that I can roll this critical chance against a whole group of enemies, 25% is actually pretty solid.

I was soo excited to make the simulor today, turns out it looks awesome but the weapon itself has flaws, range damage and secondary really need a rework or a buff, It would be better if you can hold the fire-attack and charge a vortex only to release further and as a complete vortex, that would be the only thing that would help it, such a beautifully crafted weapon that will probably never be used because of the more *end-game* weaponry....

Yea everything is better with Mirage blahblah.

But this is the most fun to use weapon with Hall of Mirrors by far.

Why? Becouse with Splittchamber and some elements one shot can wipe small to medium rooms with guaranteed procs on top and unlike the Penta you dont even have to be warry of lethal damage.

• 1 month later...

It's not terrible. It's not amazing. It needs a lot of QoL changes. But even saying all of that, it's not a bad gun.

Try firing it at a pack of nullifiers with high RoF or a quick finger on the detonate button. Watch the hilarity. (Hint: What's glowy and explosive and ignores bubbles?)

Its issues are range, RoF, and reload - the fact that all of them are bad is what drags it down. One of those as a weakness is fine. Two, maybe. All three with low crit and status... that's a pain.

Honestly, I agree with the oft-cited "let us put Firestorm on it" idea. I mean, the thing is an explosive, AoE is its only way of dealing damage, but it can't equip the AoE mod? That sounds like a serious oversight. It also needs to be less... bouncy. More control, but longer range.

That said, its damage actually isn't terrible, it melts faces on defenses (especially infested ones), guaranteed procs are always nice (now if only Magnetic didn't suck), and again, try firing it into a pack of three nulls doing a group hug, making sure they're at the edge of your range.

Agree. It can work and not only with Mirage. It isn´t wonderful but you can make it work once you learn to deal with its range and reload.

Well you'll create a vortex with mirage, that's why.....