Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[DE]Momaw

Proposed Frost Passive Isn't Really Useful?

Per dev stream, "Chance when enemies melee you that they will be permanently frozen".

Except Frost has no way to force enemies into melee like Loki, nor does he have the self-healing or self-damage-mitigation needed to go into an offensive melee rampage like Trinity or Valkyr. He slows things down, that's his niche. We already have a warframe mod that gives "chance when enemies hit you with melee that bad things with happen to them", and I don't think I've ever seen it used. I can't help but think that this passive is going to be basically irrelevant.

I really really reeeeeeeeally want his passive to be something more noticeable, more useful, and more thematic to his element. More damage done with Cold weapons or against Cold enemies, Cold procs last longer, enemies who are Cold when killed make a small zone of slow for a few seconds, something.

Contrast with other warframes that have passive abilities now:

* Excal: Bonus damage and speed with longswords.

* Mesa: Raft of small bonuses to different weapon types, your choice.

* Mirage: Dodges and wall runs are faster.

* Zephyr: Personal gravity is reduced, and air control is improved.

None of these are "chance to function", or require that you play outside the frame's ability set/theme to see the benefit.

I agree with your post. Also Mesa has passives that are useful.

+10% fire rate on dual pistols.

+20% reload speed for single sidearms.

+50 Health when melee weapon is not equipped.

they should just give frost the coolant leak passive or something similar, also immune to cold temperatures reducing shield capacity

Not every passive has to be super effective. In my opinion, this passive is just fine. It seems the new frost does really well at dealing with close quarters crowds. This passive just helps to deal with that occasional enemy that slips through and hits you.

Think about how OP this ability would be if it was a 100% proc. People could just build for armor, life-strike, and health, and wait to be hit before destroying now defenseless enemies. In all likelihood, the proc chance will be pretty high, and not 100% only to avoid people using it as the center piece in a play style.

Agreed. I feel currently that the melee reactive passive is not able to be utilized at all without forcing oneself to take hits. I would far prefer the passive to be something like Coolant Leak where if the enemy enters X amount of distance from you they get the frost effect rather than being forced to take hits for a % chance at the effect.

Not every passive has to be super effective.

this is the only one that's RNG based. all of the others are not only more noticable in Combat, but work 100% of the time.

Elemental resistances as passives for elemental frames have been suggested since the dawn of time and been ignored by DE. 

Lately, I've been pushing for elemental proc on an elemental frame giving energy to the frame, however. I wouldn't mind them going that route with it.

Including giving energy by being in contact with those ice pads in the void for Frost or just for Frost Prime.. rather than previous suggestions that they don't slow him..

this is the only one that's RNG based. all of the others are not only more noticable in Combat, but work 100% of the time.

Most don't require you to get hit by a melee enemy either--and if you're getting hit by one you're either steamrolling anyway, gonna kill it in a millisecond anyway, or gonna die anyway.

I really really reeeeeeeeally want his passive to be something more noticeable, more useful, and more thematic to his element. More damage done with Cold weapons or against Cold enemies, Cold procs last longer, enemies who are Cold when killed make a small zone of slow for a few seconds, something.

I prefer him getting immunity to slowing effects, due to his resistance to Cold.

Frost's the slowest frame in the game - it's fitting, then, that he's already going the slowest he's capable of.

Frost's the slowest frame in the game - it's fitting, then, that he's already going the slowest he's capable of.

Tied with Rhino but that's irrelevant cause people only use rhino prime. 

This would be nice if it had like i don't know a frost shield or something so more the lower your shields the more you get encased in ice oops never mind rhino has that, De could make frost more Tanky or maybe there thinking would this make frost useful in infested missions (haha no). 

Maybe frost could have like ice skates so whenever hes in his element (including frosted missions) he moves faster.

But frost will be a hard one to make a passive for.

Her got to admit that's a bad passive espically at high levels where you can die in that one hit from melee.

Frost has a chance to deflect any incoming damage by 10-15 percent

Frost has a chance to freeze enemies in melee range

Frost has a passive slow aura slowing enemies by 20 percent

Not every passive has to be super effective. In my opinion, this passive is just fine. It seems the new frost does really well at dealing with close quarters crowds. This passive just helps to deal with that occasional enemy that slips through and hits you.

Think about how OP this ability would be if it was a 100% proc. People could just build for armor, life-strike, and health, and wait to be hit before destroying now defenseless enemies. In all likelihood, the proc chance will be pretty high, and not 100% only to avoid people using it as the center piece in a play style.

A 100% proc doesn't really matter if it only affects 40% of the enemies in game AND they have to MELEE you in order for the passive to actually do anything. Which, you know, with the insane amount of mobility and range this game has decreases the overall effectiveness of it by a lot (especially with stamina going away). I mean, even when I go full melee I rarely get hit by melee enemies since they have really long attack animations (can kill them faster then they can hit me). It doesn't quite stack up when compared to the other good passives work 100% of the time with 100% reliability.

Plus, the player should be building their warframe around their 4 abilities, not the passive. The passive should help with what the frame already does and help it be unique from the other frames in its role.

Of course, I guess this would be a good passive for a bad player on an infested map? But if you get into a situation where your swarmed/slowed/chained grabbed, you'd better pray that it's 100% proc or your screwed.

Realistically, I doubt that their going to even put it at the 50% mark since perm freeze = death if I'm understanding the OP right. I'd prefer resistances, cold damage/effectiveness boosts when using cold weapons, or creating patches of slow areas on death or something. Something that isn't as situational or as rare as having to front 2-3 hits from a melee enemy for it to activate.

Tied with Rhino but that's irrelevant cause people only use rhino prime.

Even Rhino has his Charge. Once coptering goes the way of the Dodo in U17, people will stop forgetting that.

Immunity to the frost status sounds like a good passive, as freezing Frost doesn't make a whole lot of sense much like setting Ember on fire O.o...

Maybe add a slide speed boost by icing up the floor under his feet and removing friction.

i wouldnt mind seeing like a passive coolant leak or something. but with some balance. doesnt work on bosses so people dont play frost just to make close range bosses trivial.

I absolutely agree with op.

This passive will be useless and first of all it will be a WASTE OF A GOOD OPORTUNITY of makeing frost a viable end game frame.

What is the point of giving frost contact passive while ALL his abilities are ranged and furthermore some of them push enemies out of meele range or doesnt allow opponents to get close... (by slowing or freezing them)!!!

My idea of a passive is:

- enemies frozen by frost 1st ability take 50% more damage from all tenno (not only frost)

- enemies frozen by all other frost abilities have increased chance (flat 40% - same way as it is provided by Arcane Avenger) of takeing critical dmg from all frost attacks (only frost), after the freeze effect fades their movement speed is permamently lowered (by 20%) same as their armor (by 40%).

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. The reason mostly being that only the infested are melee focused enough to make this ability theoretically useful, yet no one brings Frost to fight infested anyway since his globe is of very little use against them and cold damage has huge penalties against infested.

they should just give frost the coolant leak passive or something similar, also immune to cold temperatures reducing shield capacity

I support this.

It seems the new frost does really well at dealing with close quarters crowds

Except he doesn't.  His reaction to close quarters will be to use 3 key and knock enemies away not to let them beat on his face with melee. Frost has no special capability for melee, now, or with proposed changes.  The strong melee frames have huge damage resistance against ranged attacks, or huge damage resist in general, or some kind of long-range CC power that prevents being focus-fired by 19 enemies while you try to melee the 20th.

What if they add a 100%  slow on contact by 20% in addition to the chance to freeze? i wouldnt mind that. Its just a passive, not suppose to be a major buff.

What if they give his shields damage reduction based on his current armor and also gave his shields resistance to cold? Like warm coat combined with arcane warmth.

no no no guys...

With snow globe rework that push all enemies out of the sphere, and bad melee resistance against high lvl enemies ALL CLOSE RANGE passives will be useless in pve (and if its freeze on hit - OP in PVP).

Since Warframe is strongly PVE oriented this passive is unacceptable... Why? because it would be USELESS!

In the end we waited for frost rework so long - LETS HELP DE make it right!

Ok gonna dig this up simply because this passive needs a change for something more useful (and because I haven't found "fresher" thread).

Passive itself is a cool idea but Atlas i.e. has passive that works all the time when he's on the ground (and is useful) and Rhino will get Heavy Impact (as seen in DevStream 62 but it is WIP dunno if it will work all the time after jumping) meanwhile Frost might freeze enemies if they hit him..... sounds like a gimmick mod that nobody would use right?

Imo they had to make another passive that enemies who are in a radius of i say 3 meters get slowed 60 percent of movement and attack speed. What u would think about this idea?