Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Hayden Tenno The "forerunner"

Zantestsuken

Upon reading that DE's Steve Sinclair was the head of Dark Sector project, wich I played a little back in 2009, I kept on asking myself one thing: are the two games connected by storyline?

I haven't played the whole game but I can remember three things:

1) Hayden TENNO

2) The Glaive

3) The technocyte (wich is also present in WF in the Nano Spores description "Fibrous technocyte tumor. Handle Infested tissue with caution")

Furthermore, on the Wikipedia page of Dark Sector the ending phrase states:

"That was how it started, the irony of this disease. That in all the others, it made evil; but for him [Hayden], it had saved his soul." Yargo Mensik

Does the Orokin Era begin with him? Are we Tenno because of him? Are this just references in order to tickle our minds but indeed they're just "Easter Eggs"?

Your share on these thoughts will be much appreciate

I, personally, would say yes to Hayden Tenno being the first of the "Tenno". I kinda think it to be something where Hayden Tenno somehow survives a very long time, into the "Orokin Era". And in that period he formed a clan of master warriors, who became what we, the players are today. This is my opinion on the origins, and they are likely to be very different to most others, but maybe similar to some others.

I, personally, would say yes to Hayden Tenno being the first of the "Tenno". I kinda think it to be something where Hayden Tenno somehow survives a very long time, into the "Orokin Era". And in that period he formed a clan of master warriors, who became what we, the players are today. This is my opinion on the origins, and they are likely to be very different to most others, but maybe similar to some others.

Very much this.  Warframe is the spiritual successor (and in the same universe as) Dark Sector.  While "Tenno" now is more of a species or a race, Hayden Tenno in Dark Sector was the inspiration for many of the parts that made Warframe what it is. Compare Excalibur (the "poster boy" 'frame) to Hayden's suit.

I haven't played Dark Sector but it has peaked my interest. But ever since I have looked into Dark Sector I've gotten a thought stuck in my head. Someone asked if Hayden would ever make an appearence in Warframe. This put the idea that maybe he already has appeared in Warframe? Maybe he is that sneaky??? If he was the first tenno how would he feel about the Lotus? I can't shake the feeling that he is the person trying to thwart her plans and kill her warriors.

Very much this.  Warframe is the spiritual successor (and in the same universe as) Dark Sector.  While "Tenno" now is more of a species or a race, Hayden Tenno in Dark Sector was the inspiration for many of the parts that made Warframe what it is. Compare Excalibur (the "poster boy" 'frame) to Hayden's suit.

I also thought of this. Made me think how much does it hurts to know we lost Earth. Tenno's homeplanet lost to those Grineers. I hope sooner or later we could have some kind of storyline-related missions.

I haven't played Dark Sector but it has peaked my interest. But ever since I have looked into Dark Sector I've gotten a thought stuck in my head. Someone asked if Hayden would ever make an appearence in Warframe. This put the idea that maybe he already has appeared in Warframe? Maybe he is that sneaky??? If he was the first tenno how would he feel about the Lotus? I can't shake the feeling that he is the person trying to thwart her plans and kill her warriors.

Hayden Tenno's the STALKER?

That feel when you create something just to destroy it later ( http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8595/izvp5ab.jpg )

Edited by Zantestsuken

Sorry to spoil the speculation parade, but Dark Sector is not in the same universe as Warframe. They aren't connected through plot.

However, Dark Sector IS what Warframe was supposed to be. Greedy publishers didn't let the Warframe idea slide and forced DE to make it into Dark Sector, and years later (read: about present day) DE made and funded Warframe alone.

Sorry to spoil the speculation parade, but Dark Sector is not in the same universe as Warframe. They aren't connected through plot.

Incorrect.

First, have a video, everyone. http://youtu.be/tpr1DCQNyg4 This is Dark Sector as it was supposed to be.

Second, have a press release. https://warframe.com/news/press-release-warframe-announced “WARFRAME is a new name for an old game,” explained Steve Sinclair, chief creative director at Digital Extremes.  “It was a shelved concept we kept coming back to."

There have been multiple incidences on these forums of official representatives commenting on the connection between Dark Sector and Warframe. Warframe is not only a spiritual successor, but a true sequel, set in the future universe of Dark Sector.

Edited by Gibblemung

There have been multiple incidences on these forums of official representatives commenting on the connection between Dark Sector and Warframe. Warframe is not only a spiritual successor, but a true sequel, set in the future universe of Dark Sector.

I disagree.

I think it is more reboot / remake then Sequel. Sure, there are similarities in names, but both games are based off a shared underlying concept, not a direct sequel of one another.

EDIT: Official staff may have hinted at conceptual connections, but I would like to see a quote where a member of DE has explicitly said;

"Yeah, it's a sequel."

Edited by SilverBones

Hayden Tenno is obviously "THE STALKER" lol

I never played Dark Sector but i did a little reading on it. Warframe may not be a sequel but definitely a spiritual successor at the very least.  

Cant be stalker. Stalker is a Boss from Dark Sector he killed. It was this giant boss that turns invisible and kills by throwing darts. Btw the Lotus symbol was all over the game, and the symbol on the manhole he would hop down to buy weapons, and add mods to his guns. So even if Hayden was in this game I doubt he would be fighting her more or less doing what we do.

Of course I think he would more or less be dead by now, and also DE already stated the games are unrelated story wise.

I hope they stay as separate but related universes.

I personally found Dark Sector to be ok at best, only memorable due to one gimmicky weapon and the art direction. Unfortunately I never got to the end due to multiple save file corruptions and game breaking bugs. I don't remember anything about the main character so I doubt he was very interesting.

Yes Hayden Tenno is the "forerunner" proof... read the Glaive description. Also this isn't a direct sequal it is more like a sideways sequal in that it is thousands of years in the future in the same universe. We(the Tenno) are simply decendants of Hayden who inherited his powers and partial immunity to the technocyte plague. Over time the powers inherited would mutate and change to fit certain circumstances and we (the Tenno) would develop different "tribes" or "clans" as it were. Where only certain sexes were allowed to use the power of that certain "tribe" (example Ember is always female and Frost is always male). The "tribes" may at one time have been seperate therefore allowing for the development of different powers  but came together during the Orikin phase of history is when the Warframes were invented not to fight a war but to keep the peace of the age but failed. It is through these warframes though that the Tenno are able to enhace and better direct thier powers to the current level that we now know and love. That is just my theory though.

I just wanted an excuse other than they are named the Tenno or that the Lotus symbol is in the origonal Dark Sector (that was going to be made with a character of the same name Hayden Tenno) game. Or perhaps it is the way the glaive is held that is similar to how Hayden Tenno held his glaive that has been past throughout Tenno history. Maby it is that Haden Tenno looks EXACTLY like an excalibur frame in his full suit or that he fights a person in a frame EXTREMELY close to looking like a male version of Nyx. I don't really care I think I put up a valid agument for the time line and reason for the Tenno powers so don't just read the first line and complain about just that.

Edited by PureBeurre

He looks sort of like an Excalibur. Only the helmet is the same. The Glaive itself has also been re-designed.

1955111-darksector_03_480x480.jpg

And if I remember correctly Nemesis is a woman.

Note in the lore says if he was the first he would have to be an Excalibur Prime, and honey, he ain't no prime.

Edited by ValhaHazred

I said above this ISN'T our Excalibur. They are based off this look perhaps but OUR warframes (I mean why wouldn't you base something off of a ancestor or historical figure/monument Americans have George Washington on the dollar bill, England has the queen on the pound note ect.)  were invented during the Orikin era NOT Hayden Tennos time so of course they would be different. Plus I never played the Dark Sectors game only viewed pictures on it and the noncreated version (which is still more than most people do). I know very little lore in this game as such. I imagine the prime frames were made for guards of important "tribes" spokes people that helped keep the whole Orikin age together and the non-prime frames were made sort for a standing army being as they would be cheaper and easyer to make.

Edited by PureBeurre

Plus I never played the Dark Sectors game only viewed pictures on it and the noncreated version (which is still more than most people do).

Well there's your problem. The lore is pretty much incompatible between the two games, even as rough as Warframe's is currently.

It just uses the same art direction and some concepts are the same because this is the game they wanted to make back then.

Let me point out the major differences.

-Technocyte

In Dark Sector it is created by Americans as a bioweapon during the cold war. It is a literal virus and created zombies with a metallic crust on their skin that transmit the virus with bites. The zombies have a built in a weakness to a chemical called Enferon and can be controlled electronically.

In Warframe it is nanotech created by the Orokin to fight a war against the "Sentients". It grotesquely changes humans into gribbly beasts with no known weakness. It appears to be airborne and grows fleshy polyps all over the place.

-Lotus

In Dark Sector Lotus is a russian guy who lives in the sewer and sells you blackmarket guns. In Warframe Lotus is a mysterious woman who leads the Tenno against the rest of the solar system. She may be a Corpus AI.

-Warframes

The two characters in Dark Sector who used power armor (Hayden and Nadia) where advanced Technocyte zombies. In Warframe the Tenno appear to be related but distinct from the Technocyte. They where definitely created to control the Technocyte. The Devs have also confirmed that the Primes are the original Orokin designs, directly contradicting the ones in Dark Sector which where created by a mad scientist named Mezner.

No other concepts have carried over.

Drops mic.

Picks mic up.

Come back fool there are parallel universes to be discussed and that in the upcoming update 8 the Orikin sets are only gottten to through these "dimentional rifts". It is a possibility that the Orikin civilization needed a counter for the plague that had been released in their universe. They found a good solution in the DNA of an exceptional individual in a seperate universe and time line. The took his (Hayden Tennos) DNA and used it to create the powers of the warframes. Only certain powers reacted with certain sexes and indiviual DNA strains explaining the variations. As far feched as it sounds until update 8 is released and lore is revieled about it we I can have reason to believe this might be possible. (they also modled the first strain type suit after Haden Tenno suit the first strain was the Excalibur strain)

gently sets down mic in its proper place like a polite person would