Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Need An Alternative To The Alert System

CoffeePowered

The players have zero control over it. When you shut the game down, the alerts are still happening. For a game mechanic, this is a horrible idea as it ties the game down to real life and serves little more than a huge "You're missing out!" message.  No game should do this.  How many of you have found yourselves worrying about if you're missing the thing you've been waiting for.  Quite a few time I've had nothing but scavanger alerts, quit for the night, and come back the next day to find out I've missed a reactor and two helmets.

I know you can get an app for the alerts, but it seems like this would be a massive distraction.  Also, how usefull can that really be over the computer when it goes off and you're not at your computer to respond to it.

The players have zero control over it. When you shut the game down, the alerts are still happening. For a game mechanic, this is a horrible idea as it ties the game down to real life and serves little more than a huge "You're missing out!" message.  No game should do this.  How many of you have found yourselves worrying about if you're missing the thing you've been waiting for.  Quite a few time I've had nothing but scavanger alerts, quit for the night, and come back the next day to find out I've missed a reactor and two helmets.

I know you can get an app for the alerts, but it seems like this would be a massive distraction.  Also, how usefull can that really be over the computer when it goes off and you're not at your computer to respond to it.

If I shut down the game, Other players are still online and play. This has to go! Horrible idea since I am missing out on everything while others play.

Horrible just horrible. If I logout, the game needs to shutdown so others can't gain an advantage while I'm at work.

Edited by Sikab

Horrible just horrible. If I logout, the game needs to shutdown so others can't gain an advantage while I'm at work.

Not what i meant.  But if you are self centred then yes i can see how you misinterpret it as such.

What I'm asking for is an alternative to the system.  One of inclusion that's fair to everyone.

Not what i meant.  But if you are self centred then yes i can see how you misinterpret it as such.

What I'm asking for is an alternative to the system.  One of inclusion that's fair to everyone.

It is fair to every1.

If I would have control over it, but you don't... that would be unfair. That's not the case. RNG = Fairness.

It is fair to every1.

If I would have control over it, but you don't... that would be unfair. That's not the case. RNG = Fairness.

Being rewarded for not playing and being totally #*($%%@ because of bad/odd hours is NOT fair for everyone. Edited by fishworshipper

I'm sorry, but what?

In 99% of every game ever the player is rewarded for their actions, or at the very least the No Player Input bonuses are just cosmetics.

In Warframe, there is a No Player Input system (the Alert system) that gives hugely beneficial things, a completely unique weapon type and ENTIRE WARFRAME being 2 examples. How this is in any sane person's mind a good idea at all is beyond me.

Not to mention sucks if you live 12 hours from Canada, as you likely wont be seeing any Potato Alerts ever.

Edited by fishworshipper

I think the system is perfectly fair.

It's not as if the system favors people in particular time zones or locations.

The simple fact is that people don't really have a right to whine about missing "xyz" alert. Making the rare and powerful items that can only be obtained through alerts free of charge to everyone is sort of like saying "Hey, let's make EVERY scratch off lottery ticket give a $100 minimum, and the tickets cost $20."

Think of it as a lottery, you have a slim chance to be gaming or able to play when a shiny glaive or vauban BP pops up on the alert.

I don't think that everyone should be allowed to get rare alert rewards if/when they pop up. It would totally screw up the variety of the game, and everyone would just be running around all as Vaubans with Glaives....

And c'mon guys. Variety is the spice of life. EMBRACE THE RANDOMNESS.

In 99% of every game ever the player is rewarded for their actions, or at the very least the No Player Input bonuses are just cosmetics.

In Warframe, there is a No Player Input system (the Alert system) that gives hugely beneficial things, a completely unique weapon type and ENTIRE WARFRAME being 2 examples. How this is in any sane person's mind a good idea at all is beyond me.

Not to mention sucks if you live 12 hours from Canada, as you likely wont be seeing any Potato Alerts ever.

I live in Mid-Europe. Never spent a single Plat on Potatos. And I still have like 9 of the Reactor/Catalyst Potato blueprints. Got 3 Glaive Recipe...

Canada has nothing to do with when Alerts appear.

And why is it fair you ask? It's equally cruel to every1. Doesn't matter if you live in America/Europe/Asia...

I play for 6 months now... and I just got the Dark Sword yesterday. Did you see me open any topic about how Alert is unfair?

No... because it isn't about fairness. It's pure luck = RNG

Edited by Sikab

I always have the same thing to say on alerts, so here's all the other threads that share similar views. tl;dr: alerts system is flawed (as a method of content distribution) and needs changing.
(this is a quote from DE rebecca)
There has been suggestions of ways to improve the alerts (adding a token system, generating Alerts based on time logged in, etc), and these are being seen.
Edited by Argoms

lots of links

So if my clan and the friends of every member starts to open lots of threads about how the Alert system is perfect, will that make our opinion more valid? Not...

It would just show we are not able to adapt to a game design and are so desperate to even spam the forum with multiple threads about the same idea.

Edited by Sikab

Think of it as a lottery, you have a slim chance to be gaming or able to play when a shiny glaive or vauban BP pops up on the alert.

A RNG is only fair IF you are participating in it.  That's why lotto companies have the slogan "you've got to be in it to win it"

I always have the same thing to say on alerts, so here's all the other threads that share similar views. tl;dr: alerts system is flawed (as a method of content distribution) and needs changing.

THANKYOU

A RNG is only fair IF you are participating in it.  That's why lotto companies have the slogan "you've got to be in it to win it"

But if you lose the Lotto ticket which was the winning ticket for 500million $, you don't get a penny.

Same goes for being offline. Even though you are in it... "you just lost your ticket"

So if my clan and the friends of every member starts to open lots of threads about how the Alert system is perfect, will that make our opinion more valid? Not...

It would just show we are not able to adapt to a game design and are so desperate to even spam the forum with multiple threads about the same idea.

If your clan has a large number of members that play regularly and/or have bought platinum, this would make your opinion more valid than a single person whom nobody else agrees with. The threads I posted all have different solutions/perspectives to the same problem, and have been posted over the course of around two weeks. 

I'm guessing you consider everyone who dislikes alerts a whiner who should suck it up then? Not even going to consider that the other side has valid points?

If your clan has a large number of members that play regularly and/or have bought platinum, this would make your opinion more valid than a single person whom nobody else agrees with. The threads I posted all have different solutions/perspectives to the same problem, and have been posted over the course of around two weeks. 

I'm guessing you consider everyone who dislikes alerts a whiner who should suck it up then? Not even going to consider that the other side has valid points?

I don't consider them a whiner. If i were, I wouldn't try to have a discussion. I did consider the other sides opinions. But you can't call opinions as solution when something is working as intended.

These topics usually appear after a patch when something cool is added to the Alerts. Glaive... Vauban.... Opinions like this, can't be considered as on objective perspective. Since most probably they missed the Alert for 1 of those, which results in topics like this.

How come no "Fix the Alerts" topic ever appear when some1 missed a Pistol Scavenger?

These ppl are not whiners... they are impatient.

Edited by Sikab

I don't consider them a whiner. If i were, I wouldn't try to have a discussion. I did consider the other sides opinions. But you can't call opinions as solution when something is working as intended.

These topics usually appear after a patch when something cool is added to the Alerts. Glaive... Vauban.... Opinions like this, can't be considered as on objective perspective. Since most probably they missed the Alert for 1 of those, which results in topics like this.

How come no "Fix the Alerts" topic ever appear when some1 missed a Pistol Scavenger?

These ppl are not whiners... they are impatient.

So yup, whiners.

How is the alerts system working as intended? What is it meant to do? Is it a way to give occasional cosmetic gifts to free players that would otherwise be platinum exclusive, or a way to introduce new content? If it does both, it just frustrates parties that think it should do either. The method of delivery is also problematic because of the emotional reactions it creates. Going to quote myself here...

As I keep saying, the alerts system isn't good as it is. It really does more harm than good.

The current alert system creates opportunities for disappointment purely because you were living your life and not waiting for alerts 24/7. Now, don't start saying how you shouldn't feel entitled to that alert reward because it was a gift  and not a right, or how you should just support the developer. The point is, at the time that you realized you missed the alert, you had one of two reactions:

"Oh, didn't matter much to me anyway."

"Damnit, missed another <item> alert!"

You were either disappointed or indifferent. If you didn't care, then you wouldn't have bought it from the market anyway. If you did care, would you really get out your credit card and buy some plat? Judging by complaint threads that pop up almost every time a rare alert comes up, the reaction is more likely to complain about how it didn't feel fair, or that you were busy at the time. Does this help anyone?

A system that gives out rare/market-only items doesn't have to create the feeling that you missed something important that you could'vegotten if you hadn't done something. The current system promotes letting the alerts run everything if you want to avoid this feeling. To the people who say not to let it because it will have a negative impact on your life- Why should it reward this sort of behavior?

If you want to make the system random, it should be random in a way that doesn't create a feeling of responsibility for the player. There are people trying to justify calling home and getting someone to do the alert for you, ffs.

So I'm thinking the alert system is actualy working as intended.  If the intention is to generate activity in that one mission.  In that reguard it works really well.

However the rewards system doesn't work.

The point is, at the time that you realized you missed the alert, you had one of two reactions:

"Oh, didn't matter much to me anyway."

"Damnit, missed another <item> alert!"

If we keep the system as is, but make a way to get the alert rewards through effort, say being able to purchase them with credits, it would lessen the impact of reaction two and not be so worried about it while not playing.  Even if they were really expensive, I would have something to work towards.  And the RNG would still be in place for people to obtain it much sooner.

That way I get to keep my effort, and Sikab gets to keep his luck.

Would that be a good comprimise?

Edited by CoffeePowered

When I think about RNG,I always remember Diablo 2.I played that game for years and never got some end-game items like unique Sacred armors or such.But,they were there all the time waiting form me.

In the end you could collect them by trading too.