Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Solo Frame / Weapons?

Xenogear

Question

So I'm coming up to about 700 plat left from buying the masters pack and was just wondering what I should spend my remaining plat on as far as Weapons / Warframes....

What is in your opinion the best Solo Frame and Weapons..

Were talking Pluto defense missions up to at least wave 10-15 with as much ease as possible!

I currently have

Warframes:

Vauban / Mag / Rhino / Excalibur Prime

Weapons:

Grakata / Skana Prime Sword / Scindo (Manticore) / Braton / Lex

Edited by Xenogear

13 answers to this question

Primary: An ammo efficient gun. Hek, Strun, or even Latron can probably get the job done.

Secondary: Something that can kill a decent amount of enemies in one clip. With a good primary, chances are, you'd only switch to your secondary sparingly. Maybe pick Lex to complement shotguns or Bronco to complement Latron.

Melee: Anything good for charge spam probably fits here.

Frame: Depends completely on your playstyle.

Were talking Pluto defense missions up to at least wave 10-15 with as much ease as possible!

I think this should probably be highlighted. It's true that the "best" warframes and weapons depends on your own playstyle and preferences, but if we're explicitly talking defense missions, there's some things most of us agree work better than others.

Nobody's mentioned Nyx yet. Even though Chaos now has a timer, it's still one of the best things you can use on a defense mission. Nobody's mentioned Frost, and the casting of Snow Globe over a cryopod. Vauban's great for defense, yes, but Nyx and Frost were rocking this long before Vauban came along.

Similarly, while ammo efficiency does matter, it's slightly less important in a defense context where you will have access to lots of ammo drops.

I already know I should play what suits me or my play style, that wasn't the question. The question was in your opinion the best Solo Frame / Weapon and why?

For instance. I think Vauban makes a fairly good solo frame due to Tesla, run threw a pack of mobs and drop tesla, turn around and shoot while its being shocked to S#&$.

Although hes not very good at soloing defense missions because the starting range on his vortex is horrible, not to mention how long it lasts.

I think this should probably be highlighted. It's true that the "best" warframes and weapons depends on your own playstyle and preferences, but if we're explicitly talking defense missions, there's some things most of us agree work better than others.

Nobody's mentioned Nyx yet. Even though Chaos now has a timer, it's still one of the best things you can use on a defense mission. Nobody's mentioned Frost, and the casting of Snow Globe over a cryopod. Vauban's great for defense, yes, but Nyx and Frost were rocking this long before Vauban came along.

Similarly, while ammo efficiency does matter, it's slightly less important in a defense context where you will have access to lots of ammo drops.

Good idea, I've now highlighted that part.

I have heard great things about nyx even after the timer was implemented.. How long is the timer anyway? Also how big is the radius on it?

Edited by Xenogear

Although hes not very good at soloing defense missions because the starting range on his vortex is horrible, not to mention how long it lasts.

In my experience, most Vauban players on defense (including me) are mainly using their energy to mine enemy spawn areas and approaches with Tesla grenades. This doesn't do a huge amount of damage relative to high level enemy HP, but it does slow them down and cluster them in bottleneck areas, which can let you get a Vortex (if they are tightly packed enough) or Bastille off (if they're still kind of spread out).

Also it's a good early-warning system; I know enemies are coming from X other direction when I'm over on the other side at Y, because I can see and hear the Teslas going off.

Good idea, I've now highlighted that part.

I have heard great things about nyx even after the timer was implemented.. How long is the timer anyway? Also how big is the radius on it?

I'm not really a math person, so I have no idea how long the timer actually is and what the radius is. Let me put it this way - even after the change, it seems still long enough for a spawn to mostly wipe itself out...and chances are, you're not going to just sit there and watch them commit fratricide, you'll still be shooting and meleeing in the crowd. 

It's just that previously a Chaos'd enemy would pretty much stay Chaos'd forever.

As for the radius...you know the older outdoor ice-planet defence map, with the cryopod in a sort of circular valley? I can stand on the Cryopod, use Chaos, and tag enemies shooting from the catwalks and upper levels. I have a Stretch mod, but still...

Hopefully someone knows the actual numbers. I don't. I don't pay attention. But that's just a qualitative analysis of it.

Edited by Acyl

If we're talking wave 15 Corpus defense, your only real option in terms of frames is Frost. Nyx has decent crowd control, but I'm not sure it's enough if you're soloing, at least after the nerf. I won't claim to have made it that far by myself, but I'd imagine you'd just have stray shots taking the pod out if you don't completely lock down every enemy.

In terms of weapons, it's more or less up to personal preference as there are trade-offs for each one, but I'd imagine you'd need top-tier DPS weapons to keep up with the hordes of Shockwave Moas.

Melee weapon I can confidently say that one of the 3 heavy weapons will be by far the most useful.

In any case, I don't think there's any load-out for easily soloing wave 15 Pluto.

As far as frames and soloing defense missions the previous mentions of frost and nyx are towards the top. If you hadn't mentioned defense missions I would be noting other frames that work great for solo play but just not so much on solo defense. I.E. Trinity, Ash (sturdier frame than Loki yet similar playstyle. Ash gets my nod because its more forgiving if a mistake is made), (honorable mention for pre bugged Rhino), and saryn. These are the "tanky" type frames that take a beating but still have great survivability.

Weapon layout choose weapons that complement each other but can also put out a lot of damage. One I can personally recommend as matching well is Latron and Akbolto. You can also go with a heavy weapon with an aoe knock back to keep hard enemies somewhat stun locked to give yourself even more survival.

This will give you better odds of survival but Pluto will still take a lot of skill and knowing your frame and weapons limitations pretty well.

Edit- Forgot to mention shade sentinel is great for solo play because it will save your bacon time and time again.

Edited by deathscion

There's some very considered opinions up there in response to your post so I dont know how much more value I can add. At the same time, I can understand that you want to make the best of the plat that you have left. So, just to provide my own opinion...I'd say sit on the plat for now and resist the urge to spend spend spend! Explore the game and your current frames some more. Party up as much as possible with as wide range of frames as possible and see how each frame synergizes with the other. Also see how different players actually use their frames in different situations. Then, sit down and think about what sort of role you see yourself playing in defense maps (since that's your primary condition) or in other maps. You would have your own playstyle and your own preferences, so pick out what would be the most 'fun' for you in which situation, then go with that.

I feel that Warframe isnt the sort of game that lends itself to a 'best frame for...' or 'best weapon for...' mindset. Its all on your mood and in what situation you find yourself in. To give you some examples, I have a Frost kitted with a maxed Latron/dual viper/gram loadout. I walk into Xini and at a level 20+ cash out, I might have maybe 40-60 kills. I'd be dead last if not last in the kills, but I wouldnt be out there killing. I would be camping the pod, picking off the one or two that slip by the rest of the team, I would keep that damn snow globe up and use my long distance freeze to thin out the number of ancients the rest of my team is busy killing at the pod. And at the most, I'd stand there and let every one wail on my shields while the team rhino figures out what that little button does...surprising how often that happens...

If I walk into Xini with my Nyx - Its time for me to get some killing done! though I do tend to ignore that nyx is a little squishy - much to my...okay so i die a lot but I get a lot of kills too! And Nyx would be walking around with a gorgon or latron or hek/dual vipers [i just love those]/ dual ethers or a dark sword, tons of shields and energy and reach and chaos chaos chaos everywhere. With ancient disruptor flunkies!

If someone in the clan wants a levelling run, and its a lowbie, I trot out my old faithful excaliber with whatever gun I feel like using and help the clanmate out.

All on my mood, all depending upon the situation, all arranged so I can have some fun ingame. And I dont regret or want to take back any plat I've spent so far. Hope that helped.

Personaly if im going solo, I go rhino, he has the highest survival and decent ability damage.

Take the hek with modded damage and fire speed and you can down most things in 1 or 2 reloads (under 10 seconds)

For pistol I take AKLatos - modded with multishot and lightning damage anbd RoF, good for bursting through corpus quickly while moving away from shock waves

Meelee is a odd one for me, im torn between the Glaive - which i use for long range ancient infested slowing/killing with ice mods -  or Scindo with a massive charge damage boost and speed for wiping out infested at close range (generaly after a rhino charge in - they dont survive lol)

as for mod setup, only take charge and the skin abilities, i dont find the others worth it for either speed runs or prolonged defences, add in as much shield as you can, fast recharge, sprint and marathon, quick rest if you feel like it and have the spare points.

One thing a little overlooked here is sent - I personaly take the shade - dont find the wyrms dps or CC too effective, but that couple of seconds of stealth on a rhino? so fun for charging up your swing - add in the token RoF on its wep with ice, electric and stun chance and that critter can pull yur &#! out of one hell of a fire :)

oh and artifact, I always take enemie radar - i see you lurkers! time to die!

I would not say my skill is at a par with those who could take on a Pluto defense alone, that might be my son who I introduced to Warframe and whose mission is now to get every Warframe. I will say that I have run a solo Venerra and Kiliken defense mission with just my Rhino, but only to level 5, but that was for the express reason of getting Alloy Plate. In any case my loadout for that mission if it's Vennera I use my Loki for speed and running around the map with a Gorgon, twin Ethers and lado vandal, if I do Kiliken  I use my Rhino with the same Loadout