Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spartans Vs Tenno

Jakcal

From what I understand, titanium is stronger, yet lighter than steel. That's what I'm not sure about.

Also, Spartan IVs and IIs in Gen2 armor move like Tenno, save for wall running.

If you changed a ball of titanium into steel, it would weigh nearly twice as much as it previously did.

In this case, more weight is important since they're lifting people that use the armor.

From what I understand, titanium is stronger, yet lighter than steel. That's what I'm not sure about.

Also, Spartan IVs and IIs in Gen2 armor move like Tenno, save for wall running.

Titanium is significantly stronger than most grades of steel. Parts made of titanium alloy are made thinner to reduce weight. Titanium itself is not a lot lighter than steel.

Titanium is significantly stronger than most grades of steel. Parts made of titanium alloy are made thinner to reduce weight. Titanium itself is not a lot lighter than steel.

" [Titanium] It's as strong as steel, but only 45 percent the weight, according to Los Alamos National Laboratory."

The main difference is weight.

Also, 45% is a big difference.

Titanium-A, fictional alloy of titanium used in Mjolnir, is supposed to be extremely durable compared to steel, but how much is not certain.

" [Titanium] It's as strong as steel, but only 45 percent the weight, according to Los Alamos National Laboratory."

The main difference is weight.

Also, 45% is a big difference.

Titanium-A, fictional alloy of titanium used in Mjolnir, is supposed to be extremely durable compared to steel, but how much is not certain.

Comparing to carbon and non alloyed steels, Titanium as I said before is far stronger. Look at titanium parts. They are smaller for a reason, and that reason is that titanium is stronger, therefore does not require as much surface area and reinforcing as steels do. There are some grades of steel that can equal the strength of titanium, but very few.

Comparing to carbon and non alloyed steels, Titanium as I said before is far stronger. Look at titanium parts. They are smaller for a reason, and that reason is that titanium is stronger, therefore does not require as much surface area and reinforcing as steels do. There are some grades of steel that can equal the strength of titanium, but very few.

"Certain claims by marketing associates and companies gave way for the controversy to rise that titanium is stronger than steel, but unlike the claim, the best steel is stronger than titanium alloys."

Source:http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-steel-and-titanium/

Thanks for making me double check lol, I guess I was fooled by them controversys.

"Certain claims by marketing associates and companies gave way for the controversy to rise that titanium is stronger than steel, but unlike the claim, the best steel is stronger than titanium alloys."

Source:http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-steel-and-titanium/

Thanks for making me double check lol, I guess I was fooled by them controversys.

I think you're comparing steel to Titanium metal. As far as I'm aware Titanium is never used as a metal in construction and parts, it is rather used as an alloy. Titanium alloys used in parts are lighter than steel mainly because of there reduced size as mentioned before.

From your own article:

"Physical qualities of titanium make it a preferable material used by automobiles, aerospace, jewelry and many other industries. It has been known for its high strength and toughness, durability and low density, and ability to withstand high and low temperatures."

"Titanium is considered a superior combination of high strength and low weight ratios when compared to steel."

I think you're comparing steel to Titanium metal. As far as I'm aware Titanium is never used as a metal in construction and parts, it is rather used as an alloy. Titanium alloys used in parts are lighter than steel mainly because of there reduced size as mentioned before.

From your own article:

"Physical qualities of titanium make it a preferable material used by automobiles, aerospace, jewelry and many other industries. It has been known for its high strength and toughness, durability and low density, and ability to withstand high and low temperatures."

It's also said to be strong and tough, but it doesn't say it's stronger and tougher than steel.

"Titanium is considered a superior combination of high strength and low weight ratios when compared to steel."

That's not how it works lol.

Titanium is specifically said to be less dense.

Let me bold the important parts.

It says it's strong and tough, but it doesn't say it's stronger than steel.

First quote should be best and most obvious proof.

That's not how it works lol.

-snip-

We are going around in circles here, you're comparing Titanium metal to steel. That's like comparing Titanium alloy to Iron. I've said above that SOME grades of steel are stronger than some Titanium alloys.

Also do you know what strength means in terms of metals? Because you're using it wrong in this thread.

Strength is the amount of weight it can hold before failure. What you would be looking for in terms of properties of armour would be material toughness, which is the amount of energy it can absorb before failure. IE impacts.

Strength is the amount of weight it can hold before failure. What you would be looking for in terms of properties of armour would be material toughness, which is the amount of energy it can absorb before failure. IE impacts.

I'm no physicist, but isn't stationary, heavy object effectively the same to lighter, faster moving object in terms of forces applied to surface?

Edited by Mofixil

We are going around in circles here, you're comparing Titanium metal to steel. That's like comparing Titanium alloy to Iron. I've said above that SOME grades of steel are stronger than some Titanium alloys.

Also do you know what strength means in terms of metals? Because you're using it wrong in this thread.

Original post, "There are some grades of steel that can equal the strength of titanium, but very few." sorry for the nit pick

I'm not trying to find which would make better armour. I'm finding which is heavier. I didn't know the strongest version of steel is stronger than titanium, world fooled me lol.

The first problem I had with what you had said before was that Steel is not much heavier than Titanium.

Then you say Titanium is much stronger, and that Steel is only considered heavier because titanium is used in small parts.

Also, the site said it was using alloys.

Doesn't matter though, as long as you understand steel is almost twice as heavy, I think it's alright.

Technically though if the Tenno are able to use only one ability (or only enough energy to use one skill, presumed to be at 100 energy as most 4th tier abilities of the Tenno require that much), as of with the fielding of the MJOLNIR armor Mark 5 and onwards, Spartan armors employ the use of energy shielding. This shield, taken into consideration of the function of the Armor Lock function, which is an external energy shield amplifier, would most probably lead to a Spartan's own demise, as this is effectively nullified and changed into an offensive weapon against themselves.

This is with consideration of the warframe exo-suit Mag, which an ability of her's, Shield Polarise, is taken into scope. Thus it may very well be possible to kill or severely injure Spartans fielding the MJOLNIR armor Mark 5 model and any later iterations of the MJOLNIR armors, which an element which must be considered is that Master Chief himself fields the MJOLNIR armor Mark 6.  

Original post, "There are some grades of steel that can equal the strength of titanium, but very few." sorry for the nit pick

I'm not trying to find which would make better armour. I'm finding which is heavier. I didn't know the strongest version of steel is stronger than titanium, world fooled me lol.

The first problem I had with what you had said before was that Steel is not much heavier than Titanium.

Then you say Titanium is much stronger, and that Steel is only considered heavier because titanium is used in small parts.

Also, the site said it was using alloys.

Doesn't matter though, as long as you understand steel is almost twice as heavy, I think it's alright.

Okay, well I work as a welder/engineer and when we say Titanium, we refer to Titanium alloy, I've never heard of Titanium used as a metal anywhere. The most common materials in our industry are mild steels (low to mid carbon range), stainless 304 and 316. And Titanium alloy is generally used for specific parts for there strength characteristics, mild steel parts tend to fail, which would indicate that Titanium alloy is stronger. And Titanium alloy depending on the alloy composition is generally not a lot lighter than mild steel, I would have to assume that is because of it's alloyed components.

Also the article states: "the best steel is stronger than titanium alloys" - To say this is misleading because of the simple fact that this steel has it's only strength in one area: Strength. (Unintentional pun). This means that the steel would very likely be lacking in all the other needed properties and therefore would be useless in a practical sense. This steel is good for lab comparisoms, but not for use.

Also this statement is fabricated by you:  "Then you say Titanium is much stronger, and that Steel is only considered heavier because titanium is used in small parts."

I said: "Parts made of titanium alloy are made thinner to reduce weight." IE Titanium alloy parts are lighter because they are stronger, tougher and require a smaller thickness and less reinforcing. That does not imply that steel is considered heavier because they are made larger.

I'm no physicist, but isn't stationary, heavy object effectively the same to lighter, faster moving object in terms of forces applied to surface?

Yep, you're no physicist. lol. :P

I'm not really sure what you're trying to put out there but there are a lot of different types of forces. And a bullet with low weight doesn't have a lot of area or inertia behind it to resist malforming. So in terms of properties, toughness is more important than strength for armour, it's only holding itself together, not a building.

A bullets primary properties would be hardness and toughness. So the armour would need to have similar properties to be useful, however in the case of theoretical armoured suits, the surface area of the armour would resist the impact more.

In terms of material properties:

Strength is used for load capacity. - Best property for building supports, load bearing structures, etc.

Toughness is resistance to malform under impact. - Best property for things like hammer faces, armour, etc.

Hardness is resistance to abrasion: - Best property for cutting tools, precision surfaces, etc.

Okay, well I work as a welder/engineer and when we say Titanium, we refer to Titanium alloy, I've never heard of Titanium used as a metal anywhere. The most common materials in our industry are mild steels (low to mid carbon range), stainless 304 and 316. And Titanium alloy is generally used for specific parts for there strength characteristics, mild steel parts tend to fail, which would indicate that Titanium alloy is stronger. And Titanium alloy depending on the alloy composition is generally not a lot lighter than mild steel, I would have to assume that is because of it's alloyed components.

Also the article states: "the best steel is stronger than titanium alloys" - To say this is misleading because of the simple fact that this steel has it's only strength in one area: Strength. (Unintentional pun). This means that the steel would very likely be lacking in all the other needed properties and therefore would be useless in a practical sense. This steel is good for lab comparisoms, but not for use.

Also this statement is fabricated by you:  "Then you say Titanium is much stronger, and that Steel is only considered heavier because titanium is used in small parts."

I said: "Parts made of titanium alloy are made thinner to reduce weight." IE Titanium alloy parts are lighter because they are stronger, tougher and require a smaller thickness and less reinforcing. That does not imply that steel is considered heavier because they are made larger.

They were referring to alloys. They said that unalloyed Titanium is 45% lighter and alloyed Titanium is usually 40% lighter. They also said Titanium is more flexible and resistant to heat. Strength isn't the only factor when making something.

They said stronger, not better. Not really misleading.

Here's the summary of the comparison.

1. Titanium is a nonpoisonous and biologically inert metal.

2. Steel is stronger, but has a more fatigue life than titanium.

3. Steel can shatter, whereas titanium can withstand high and low temperatures.

4. Steel is magnetic and corrosive when compared to titanium that is nonmagnetic and anti corrosive.

5. Steel is preferred when strength is needed in a hard material, and titanium is preferred where a lightweight and strong material is required.

You also said this "Titanium alloys used in parts are lighter than steel mainly because of there [their] reduced size as mentioned before." This implies that you believed Titanium is mainly lighter because of their reduced size.

But like I said, all that matters is the weight, and steel is significantly heavier.

Edited by Jakcal