Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Something About The Tilesets That's Bothered Me For A While...

Godzelda123

So this is not about the way the tilsets are laid out per say but mainly the locations of them. Like how Venus is the second planet from the sun yet....it has ice?? I know Warframe is unrealistic at times but you need to draw a line somewhere! Even if the Corpus or Orokin found some way to change it to make it Icy...it's still the second planet from the sun and it's just not possible. On top of that basically any planet that comes after earth should be freezing and icy while the planets before earth should be hot as Godzilla eating a chilly pepper during a sandstorm. It's a small thing and it doesn't bother me THAT much, but still I have always wondered if anyone else is bothered by this? 

So this is not about the way the tilsets are laid out per say but mainly the locations of them. Like how Venus is the second planet from the sun yet....it has ice?? I know Warframe is unrealistic at times but you need to draw a line somewhere! Even if the Corpus or Orokin found some way to change it to make it Icy...it's still the second planet from the sun and it's just not possible. On top of that basically any planet that comes after earth should be freezing and icy while the planets before earth should be hot as Godzilla eating a chilly pepper during a sandstorm. It's a small thing and it doesn't bother me THAT much, but still I have always wondered if anyone else is bothered by this? 

its called science fiction

get it? Because in fiction, anything illogical can be made logical

It's a small thing and it doesn't bother me THAT much, but still I have always wondered if anyone else is bothered by this? 

I think a lot of people are bothered by it (I'm not one of them), but DE can only create new tilesets so quickly.

Give them a bit of time, and I'm sure they'll give every planet/planetoid/whatever a unique, [hopefully] more fitting tileset.

I feel the need to remind everyone that Warframe has never actually left open beta. It's still there. It's just easy to forget.

As such, quite a few of the tilesets are really just place-holders.

Though if you really wanna get nit-picky, Uranus (a gas giant) makes literally no sense being a water planet. They'd never be able to build anything anywhere on the planet without it being crushed by sick amounts of pressure.

And then there's Phobos which is literally 27km wide asteroid IRL but in Warframe it has atmosphere, water and is apparently at least Moon-sized.

Oh, and every planet has the same gravity :P

I always thought the gravity thing was a Warframe suit passive. Kinda like how we can give the middle finger to physics, especially in Parkour 2.0

Venus is a placeholder. You'll note that Mars and Pluto share the EXACT same tileset, and before Earth was the grassy green forest it is now it was nothing but asteroids.

Seriously people, give it time. They'll get to it.

Venus is a placeholder. You'll note that Mars and Pluto share the EXACT same tileset, and before Earth was the grassy green forest it is now it was nothing but asteroids.

Seriously people, give it time. They'll get to it.

I know. This wasn't a "DE fix this thing NOW!" type of thread. More of a "Hey ever notice this thing?" Type of thread 

I know. This wasn't a "DE fix this thing NOW!" type of thread. More of a "Hey ever notice this thing?" Type of thread 

Trust me. We've ALL noticed.

And you have to take into consideration that this is a science fiction universe. DE can take whatever creative liberties they want with their portrayals of the planets. While I agree some things are ridiculous - i.e. ice on Venus - others seem perfectly fine - Ceres or Uranus, for example.

Well if we want to get totally scientific about it, Mercury has Ice at its poles, As nuts as that sounds. I wouldnt worry to much about it though. If they were to be even slightly realistic, they would have to re-design the entire game, due to Temperature/Pressure/Atmosphere/Gravitational Extremes. 

I can imagine that with some planets, such as Phobos, there has been some terraforming. But, yea, Venus with ice is a stretch.

On the other hand, this is an alternate, fictional universe, too.

Edited by R34LM

personally, I'd like the star chart system of level progression to be complimented by evolving tilesets within a system, eventually. DE could just make simple changes to the tilesets for each zone of a system, so like, if your doing earth on extermination and it's like level 10-12, then the next mission is Survival, then the survival tileset has it's own things like Grineer poison gas canisters leaking into the atmosphere, and a more poison on the trees, maybe some weird fungus growing on stuff. Then you get to a higher level exterminate on earth and now there are Grineer Flags hanging on door ways, more grineer tech laying around, some of it lodged into tree sides.

All of this would make more of a narrative in the environment, and give each sector within a tileset it's own unique flare etc. I also think doing ANYTHING to the atmosphere of Earth Survival would make sense, to suggest that "LIFE SUPPORT" in earths atmosphere is important on those maps....just sayian.

On a side note, I'd love it if in the future, the entire boss stage would be pre-determined, no longer having procedurally generated maps for the boss stage. Instead, I feel boss stages would benefit from having a very unique feel, that you know everytime you play that level where it starts and ends, and how long it generally is, not to mention the level would have a very unique flair for the boss, maybe having specific Eximus enemy rooms where you kill all the enemies to unlock the door, etc, which could be the bosses indicator to start talking to you if they are a mid point in the stage. This is just my thoughts, based on my experience with making good level design and creating a narrative through the stage environment instead of needing exposition. It's a good way to get more content out of less work, but I recognize DE would need to do a lot of Work at this point to achieve what I'm suggesting, because they would need to possibly add new tiles, such as parkour rooms with traps, etc, to make up a lot of the parts to a good boss stage in each tileset, and not all the bosses and systems are ready for it yet.

Edited by Temphis

Trust me. We've ALL noticed.

And you have to take into consideration that this is a science fiction universe. DE can take whatever creative liberties they want with their portrayals of the planets. While I agree some things are ridiculous - i.e. ice on Venus - others seem perfectly fine - Ceres or Uranus, for example.

I'd love to see them make Venus accurate to real life, since Venus is basically Planet Mordor.

Uranus I try to imagine what kind of unimaginable terraforming they'd have to do to a gas giant to make it actually have a surface of some sorts. Someone got hardcore terraforming technology.