Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Warframe Vs Clean Warframe

JohnKable

Question

yo

just wanted to know whats the difference between the two.
On my main pc i have the steam version and a few days ago i downloaded on a laptop the "clean" version from this site.
I dont want to check the exact numbers but the steam versions seems bigger. And i mean seriously bigger (twice the GB or so)

My download cache is optimized and clear, and aside a few steam items i see no difference. How can it be so big?

Is there any reason to run a specifica one? or is it exaclty the same.

I gotta like the feeling that running an half GB build can improve its loading times and its smoothness. but i can be wrong.

Please help me to clear my mind a bit

10 answers to this question

They're the same game, load times and performance should be the same, with any differences being negligible.

Only major difference is that the Steam version supports the steam overlay.

Size wise they're the same as well. Clean version does not install all the necessary files to the same place though, unlike the steam version which installs it all to one place. Try looking for a "Downloaded" folder in your WARFRAME installation folder; it might be in your local app data folder or program files folder. It should be 5~7 GB.

in addition, even IF the Steam version is larger for some reason, it won't affect performance.

Digital Extremes uses an Inhouse, Proprietary File System. it is extremely efficient, but most importantly, extremely fast.

having more data stored locally has no impact on this File System.

however for all intents and purposes, they should be the same.

(they're not for me, but they should be the same)

Edited by taiiat

There's practically no difference aside from Steam's convenience and overlay.

I dunno what version you downloaded, but if it was smaller than Steam's game folder, it probably wasn't counting updates.

Of course are both updated. But Letter13 got the point, its just that files are not all in the same place but the size is the same.

Thanks all

Just a little (out of topic) info though, if you (somehow) wanted to backup, restore, or convert one version to another:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Rxl-noir/Methods_For_Backup,_Restoring_And_Converting_Warframe_%28Steam_And_Standalone_Version%29

Also Steam takes up additional RAM if you are running it through it, but i dont know how much RAM it uses, maybe someone can provide some stats, but if you have enough RAM this doesn`t concern you :D

Usually, Steam client only uses 25-45MB of RAM, but it'll sometimes jumps up if you use in-game overlay (only 5-10MB increase). Pretty small, but if you have quite a limited memory available because of too many programs running in background , it would be more preferable to use the standalone version.

Edited by Athros

Hmm, Running Windows 7 base ram  used on my machine 2.04 gig. Pull Steam up and it's at 2.31 gig. Minimize Steam to just the notification icon and it drops to 2.29 gig. That's an order of magnitude higher than 25-45 MB and I double checked to make loading Steam didn't trigger other background procceses to use more RAM.

I switched over from the Steam client to the standalone client not long ago and noticed a lot less crashes to desktop and client disconnects. That may coincide with a hot fix fixing the problems but I can't be certain. For the most part it shouldn't be a big difference between standalone and Steam versions but clearly there's some overhead and the hooks that steam uses to do the overlay do add some performance issues on rare occasions.

Also Steam takes up additional RAM if you are running it through it, but i dont know how much RAM it uses, maybe someone can provide some stats, but if you have enough RAM this doesn`t concern you :D

thats not a problem i have 12 or 16gb ram (never remember but its more than alot)

as long as uses little to no processor im fine

Hmm, Running Windows 7 base ram  used on my machine 2.04 gig. Pull Steam up and it's at 2.31 gig. Minimize Steam to just the notification icon and it drops to 2.29 gig. That's an order of magnitude higher than 25-45 MB and I double checked to make loading Steam didn't trigger other background procceses to use more RAM.

I switched over from the Steam client to the standalone client not long ago and noticed a lot less crashes to desktop and client disconnects. That may coincide with a hot fix fixing the problems but I can't be certain. For the most part it shouldn't be a big difference between standalone and Steam versions but clearly there's some overhead and the hooks that steam uses to do the overlay do add some performance issues on rare occasions.

Steam client overlay is quite unpredictable in RAM usage. Still, on my machine it only uses memory within that range... Maybe related to the system itself? I uses Win 8.1 by the way : |