Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Of The Relative Use Of Macros

SunIsles

Question

Hello, Tennos !

First of all, I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct section. So, if not, please forgive me and feel free to move it to the right place.

Now, for what interests me, a question came to my mind. I usually access my arsenal/inventory/mods collection directly through the menus, not moving around the Liset. And, as I recently purchased a keyboard that's able to store and execute macros, I wondered. Would it be possible to create macros that would execute the combination of keys that lead me to these menues (like Esc/Down/Down/Enter/Down/Enter in order to get to the arsenal) without violationg the terms of use and, thus, without risking a ban ?

So, before everyone comes lashing at me, I know that macros are forbidden in Warframe and in a lot of other games (that's just plain stupid, but it's another subject). The thing is : those macros won't impact my in-mission performance, it wouldn't give me an advantage on other players. So, I don't understand why that type of macro should be banned.

I'd like to thank whoever read that and might give me their opinion/answers.

10 answers to this question

It doesn't automate gameplay, so you should be fine. I use one frequently that spams my Mouse1 as fast as possible and can also spam E as fast as possible (Volt Obex, nuff said).

Their main concern in regards to macros is for botting. If you need to be there to hit a quick macro to make a few actions faster, that shouldn't result in a ban. If you're using an Excal or Mesa with a looping macro that drops restores and keeps spamming 4, then you might be entering the suspension zone. These kind of macros are the "forbidden" ones you refer to.

Main question to ask yourself is if it "simulates" gameplay or if it "facilitates" gameplay. In your case, it facilitates it (which is just fine) because it just makes a relatively quick job easier. If you do end up getting a suspension for facilitation of a simple task, submit a support ticket.

See also: This thread.

I also find it cumbersome navigating through that menu, especially when I am trying to research void drops on the wiki and reconcile the finding to my inventory.

I would say your use of the macro does not really violate the spirit of the rule, but I would not risk the ban.  This is a worthy topic for the feedback forum, requesting improvement to the UI.  I would probably request a hot key or key combination as an interface improvement.

looked a little bit around (because I remembered a DE-thread about macros/autohotkey) and found this:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/436368-psa-autohotkey-ban-qualification/?p=4834907

It has come to our attention that there is some confusion regarding the use of AutoHotKey macros, and whether the use of AutoHotKey.exe alone is enough to warrant a ban (in short: it’s not).  We understand that while these hotkeys can be used for exploitative purposes they also serve a very important function in assisting players with potential disabilities -- something that we’re very mindful of.

Because of this there are other factors involved in receive a ban due to the use of AutoHotKey.exe, including a review of multiple stats on the account in question.  Should you receive a ban that you feel is not warranted, please submit a support ticket and we’ll be sure to review the circumstances regarding your ban as soon as possible.

We hope this clears up any confusion regarding the use of AutoHotKey.exe and our stance on macros that assist players in-game.  Rest assured, running such software in isolation is not grounds for an immediate ban.

-DE_Adam

(yes, this is more about autohotkey, but still somehow relevant to this topic imo.

so to keep that short:

Since you use macros in the ingame-menu (to assist you), you won't have any problems --> you don't have to be afraid of getting banned.

edit: ninja'd by MrBubbleSS (next time I will just link the thread xD)

Edited by Fabpsi

What about an auto copter key combination?

w/Shift/ctrl/E

For carpel tunnel free coptering?

(and for cheesing in capture the cephalon muahahaha)

Those should be fine. They don't completely automate your movement (you still need to aim and choose when to do it), so you should be well in the clear.

Only problem I see will be on your end trying to set up the timing correctly and making sure you don't interrupt it.

Edited by MrBubbleSS

Of course us telling you this *should* be fine does not guarantee you wont get banned, and there's nothing solid/concrete to point to as justification other than DE staff saying 'use at your own risk'. All DE has to say is 'we consider that to be automation' and we won't be seeing you around anymore :(

Their main concern in regards to macros is for botting. If you need to be there to hit a quick macro to make a few actions faster, that shouldn't result in a ban. If you're using an Excal or Mesa with a looping macro that drops restores and keeps spamming 4, then you might be entering the suspension zone. These kind of macros are the "forbidden" ones you refer to.

xpadder can get away with this...

What about an auto copter key combination?

w/Shift/ctrl/E

For carpel tunnel free coptering?

(and for cheesing in capture the cephalon muahahaha)

Why not just change crouch button from Ctrl to Alt? Makes coptering much easier.

Thx to all for your answers and enlightment ^^ It's true that a hotkey / key combination linking directly to those parts of the UI would be great. I may try to contact an admin or the support on the website. I'll keep you informed if I've got some news !