Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

They Better Not "screw Up" On Dmg Reduction While Guarding

Acidulant

Now, even in current game, equipped with max marathon and quick rest, melee can block frontal damage 100% for a really good chunk of time before stamina running out. And that is essential to any meleeling, given how damn strong those hitscan machinegunes and shotguns are.

So, if this "new guard mechanic" does not reduce damage enough, well... expect to ve ripped by heavy gunners and sobeks.

Also, melee not being comptetitive to guns in late game (aside from Excalibro due to its MASSIVE base dmg) is due to not-even-comparable dmg output of melee compared to guns, but that's whole different story.

Edited by Acidulant

It will be a dmg reduction. In the Dev stream i do believe they said some melee weapons will offer more dmg reduction than others & if u channel then you will reflect some of that dmg back 

His point is that if it's not ENOUGH damage reduction there won't be a point. Which is understandable.

It will be a dmg reduction. In the Dev stream i do believe they said some melee weapons will offer more dmg reduction than others & if u channel then you will reflect some of that dmg back 

That surely give some hope to Sword and Shield user.

I thought melee was risk and reward.

If it's just damage reduction do I have protection against procs?

Melee 2.0 made melee viable but it still isn't good enough, and blocking only protects from the front leaving you vulnerable still.

Now they're nerfing our ability to close the gap w/o taking damage, we are going to get shredded (hopefully not).

Edited by AFKrey

I don't think this was at all necessary. There are tons of AoE enemy attacks anyway, you can't block and damage anyway (unless you hold down reflection for weeks on end), enemies can still damage you from the back, and sitting in cover and shooting is still safer anyway.

So it simply looks like you don't give a single cent if melee is completely trash.

Is this correct?

I thought melee was risk and reward.

If it's just damage reduction do I have protection against procs?

Melee 2.0 made melee viable but it still isn't good enough, and blocking only protects from the front leaving you vulnerable still.

Now they're nerfing our ability to close the gap w/o taking damage, we are going to get shredded (hopefully not).

This. Sorry for double post, mutli quote on mobile is quite tiresome work.

Now it seems we won't have damage immune while closing gap against those machine guns and shotguns (it will shred any warframe in matter of seconds regardless of armor value) and still have back and side 100% vulnerable to damage.

All to top it off with lackluster damage of melee weapons that doesnt kill fast enough.

Edited by Acidulant

What? I'm saying blocking should be able to reflect fully 100% of the time...

Was this even addressed to me or am I misunderstanding you?

Sorry, English is not my native language and I was on the move, so didn't understand it quite well.

Now I re-read it, yes, guns are infinitely more safer anyway, they should have left blocking it to 100% reduction.

I apologize for that misunderstanding.

Edited by Acidulant

I think they said that Channeling would completely stop damage (at a cost though) and reflect damage

If that's not the case, then for the sake of making melee viable, please make it the case DE!

To go further, they said this would be on a scale, so that the first couple of shots would drain more energy, and then as you hold it for longer and longer it will reduce less and less energy.

Even at 99% damage reduction, people will still complain they get shredded while blocking against high level enemies.

Well it depends of how much damage they hit for,  1% of 10k is still 100. In a game where the enemies scale infinity, 99% damage reduction can still be useless at some point.

Edited by Alphafox

I think blocking should have a 100% damage reduction regardless of which direction you get. However, you won't be able to block while attacking. In 1v1 scenarios it will be strong but risky when outnumbered.

Blocking should reduce damage from Aoe attacks.

Edited by MrJxt

just for clarification:

Normal Block lasts forever, but only absorbs a percent of damage (yes we don't know how much, yet)

Channeling block, drains energy but absorbs 100% damage and reflects it back to the attacker.

(I'm pretty sure the old blocking mods will be changed accordingly to further increase/modify those effects)

Edited by CruelMaiden

Well it depends of how much damage they hit for,  1% of 10k is still 100. In a game where the enemies scale infinity, 99% damage reduction can still be useless at some point.

Well, that IS kind of the point of infinitely scaling enemies.

By design they're supposed to go from overwhelming to impossible.  CC powers are the only things making it possible for players to go well beyond the point of a reason.

Well, that IS kind of the point of infinitely scaling enemies.

By design they're supposed to go from overwhelming to impossible.  CC powers are the only things making it possible for players to go well beyond the point of a reason.

I know that. Just explaining it to the guy.

A general situation in wf:

You´re running around shooting things than you turn around and see a guy with a stick running at you - you have your gun in your hand but in other games you would normally press the button for a quick block with a melee counter move even if you´re good - in wf you don´t have the time for that because you would first need to switch your weapon..  - so what does Billy do? - he shots the guy with the stick in the head and leave with this unsatisfied feeling that this scene could have been 8000 time more epic...

Your Turn DE

i don't like the idea of having to channel to not take any damage from blocking, i want to keep that energy for using cc abilities like shock to not get overwhelmed with enemies and also to not die when i don't have time to life strike or taking to much damage for it to even be viable.

there is just isn't enough incentive for me to block now that it doesn't even let you not take damage, seems like a step backwards and making melee only playstyle even more harder and more frustrating.

Edited by (PS4)Junguler