Why Exalted Blade Needs A Nerf (Or A Change To Its Blade Wave Mechanics)

owendawgx

Well. Here we are. Many people complain about peacemaker and how simple and stupid it is. And rightfully so. But this isn't about that, there are already a dozen peacemaker change/nerf threads, so why not add one to the exalted blade list. Exalted blade require NO player interaction with enemies, and defeats the point of a swordsman theme! People stand there and spam blade waves. It has gotten so bad that people in recruiting chat are now saying:

H DRACO NEED MESA OR EXALTED BLADE EXCALIBUR (Max Strength/efficiency possible).

That's right. exalted blade is the new peacemaker. They both need changes, but exalted blade should be recognized as nerf material. Perhaps only blade waves when channeling? Who knows. Less interaction with melee mods? Definitely. But the purpose of this thread is to make the devs aware that EXALTED BLADE NEEDS CHANGES OR NERFS.

Not massive changes. But balance. The game is so saturated with excals right now. Theyre literally stationary turrets

Hm no, no like Mesa, you have to move... yes you move, the only thing that i think Exalted Blade needs its not trough walls...

Nothing more...

Hm no, no like Mesa, you have to move... yes you move, the only thing that i think Exalted Blade needs its not trough walls...

Nothing more...

Most exalted blade players i see hold crouch and become an immobile turret . . . just like mesa, except they choose where their waves go. Though that is def a needed change it would probably be best if they implemented that and saw what happened to EB and Excal in general imo. Also it seems i accidentally posted in the wrong thread again.

Maybe,yeah a small nerf,cause if you guys just checked out,after doing exalted blade,and then sliding,you cast radial blind(every time you slide),without using any of your energy!Check it out!But hey,I think its fair for people who like to do it solo,cuz in survival missions(especially corpus) and defense missions,it really will help you out(like it did to me).

This isn't a problem with the frame. It's a problem with how players are using it.

That does not mean it deserves a nerf. That would be like nerfing Oberon because a handful of players stand in one spot and spam smite, or nerfing guns because some people stand in one spot and do nothing but shoot.

Nothing more...

Limited punchthrough would solve a good deal of EB wave abuse.

Not massive changes. But balance. The game is so saturated with excals right now. Theyre literally stationary turrets

I mean, not really. Exalted Blade is only op in low-mid tier. It scales in high tier as well as any other melee (not well). As for being saturated with excals? That's because the rework is new and the last new frame was a major bust. Wait til u17 and the game will be saturated with the new ying yang frame.

um... what?

the waves already have a max range and travel time dont they?

what exalted blade needs is for the melee combos to actually pump out different waves and/or have effects

otherwise excal is completely fine

comparing excal to mesa? come on, bring a better argument than that weaksauce, why not QQ about mirages disco ball instead?

Excalibur is easily the most OP frame in the time I've been playing. It's kinda fun because melee is a waste of time everywhere else in the game bar Valkyr & Loki.

But it's less fun for your team when they have nothing left to kill.

Damage should be cut a third.  Waves should be the alt attack, cost energy & not proc lifesteal LOL.

This again? Hurry fix the frames that are efficient at clearing mobs in a broken game mode where enemies run linearly towards a stationary object. Ya and it's totally the frames fault for these skills not being crazy imba in other game types where movement is key, because you know we are sort of ninjas not space turrets. Fix the game mode then fix the frames, defense missions don't even fit the theme. They were put in as an xp grind/scaling "endgame" when there were like 4 mission types and 6 frames. It needs to be replaced,  removed, or changed. No one complains about Excal in any other nonstationary game type. Much like Valkyr, if his blades didn't penetrate I'm sure you would be wasting tons of time and energy (literally) following enemies with crappy pathing through doors and around corners to hit them. Plus I'm sure from a technical standpoint it would probably stop your waves on the stupidest stuff.

You just described every FPS since Wolfenstein 3D...  so how is that broken?

I believe I outlined it in my previous post. It's a stationary swarm mode in a game that thrives on the theme of highly mobile ninjas. This mode promotes camping and as a result skews a bunch of abilities to be highly favorable or absolutely useless because of such a scenario. This isn't just a shooter, it's not meant to be. This obviously isn't Wolfenstein 3D so obviously this game mode doesn't serve any purpose but to grind xp or farm terrible RNG drops from waves. It dilutes the experience that the core of Warframe promotes as its core.

Excal is fine. Also his ult leaves very little room for changes. Even small changes could make EB totally useless and only usable for low level content.

- Limit Waves

= Excal would be unable to deal with the constant nullifier spam in the Void

- Limit Blocking

= Excal would no longer be able to survive against higher level (60+) enemies without constant Radial Blind spam

- Limit Punchthrough

= His waves are to big and very often make contact with surfaces randomly, limited punchthrough would not work with them.

- Limit Damage

= Would make EB no longer viable in endgame and it would be back to RB spam using stealth damage multiplier.

Maybe a very slight damage reduction, or maybe reducing the range of his waves slightly. Anything more would make him nearly useless again like he was before.

I believe I outlined it in my previous post. It's a stationary swarm mode in a game that thrives on the theme of highly mobile ninjas. This mode promotes camping and as a result skews a bunch of abilities to be highly favorable or absolutely useless because of such a scenario. This isn't just a shooter, it's not meant to be. This obviously isn't Wolfenstein 3D so obviously this game mode doesn't serve any purpose but to grind xp or farm terrible RNG drops from waves. It dilutes the experience that the core of Warframe promotes as its core.

Glad you put some thought in it, not many here do.

The mowing-down-enemies gameplay style seems to be core to Warframe so I don't think that's the issue.

Camping is promoted in Survival by not having to move.  I outlined a couple of decent solutions here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/494645-camping-how-to-get-players-to-stop-being-cub-scouts-and-go-be-space-ninjas/?p=5529822

If your basis for "needs a nerf" is draco, then you need to expand the places you play. People play draco for 1 reason, its an amazing affinity farm. You know what would happen if Mesa/Excal didnt exist? Nova-Loki and Frost would be used just like defenses. The only reason Mesa is used is because with mesa you can hit everysingle intercept point and prevent them being captured. Excal gets used because the spawns clump up and you can see them all and their pathing is predictable. I know when people come from the lower spawn they will mostly go thru the stairs infront of the stairs the top spawns also all walk down. In other interceptions and defenses, excal is not as ridiculous because the mobs spread out more, hide themselves, and you cant see them. Same as Mesa. On open maps mesa is god, on cramped interior maps? not so much. 

Nerfs should come based on how content deals with all types and aspects of warframe. For example Mag's greedy pull broke content anywhere from MDs, Def, Intercep, and Sur. Now if you said "we should remove the crate from that spot of draco so mesa can't shoot everything, and add some more objects to limit line of sight, id agree. Thats how we "fix" draco. Nerfing things that aren't in themselves gamebreaking is not but relegating them to meh-status.