Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Utility Mods For Primaries And Secondaries

Viedra_Lavinova

With the addition of a Utitlity mod slot of Warframes, why not add them to primaries and secondaries too?

Mods for damage against factions, ammo capacity/ reload speed/ mutation, noise reduction, flight speed, and many others are rarely used in mod loadouts unless absolutely needed.

It seems DE is experimenting with the idea of Utility mods, and seeing how the community response. However, I feel if this is the path they are choosing, this would be a nice addition too.

What do you all think?

EDIT (For all those saying the Utility slot idea is useless in general):

From my perspective, the reason Utility mods were added to Warframes were to let people use the mods not many would consider for their loadout. Of course, every one is just going to run Rush on their warframe load out, then complain when they nerf it (Which is what I expect will happen). My idea just expands upon DE's idea, that's all.

Edited by Viedra_Lavinova

Why dont we? The same reason it was a bad idea to put one on a Frame, only a bit worse. If a weapon, say...the Rakta Ballistica...had a spare slot for a Quality of Life mod, that means there is no trade off. You gain a free slot to slap on a Steady Hands to trivialize the weakness of the weapon, a weakness that balances it well, IMO.

Unlike warframe abilities which may benefit from both positive and negative characteristics, weapons always are about damage. As was said in one of the previous devstreams, the mods everyone puts in every weapon (such as Serration) will be removed from the mod list to give players more choices.

Why dont we? The same reason it was a bad idea to put one on a Frame, only a bit worse. If a weapon, say...the Rakta Ballistica...had a spare slot for a Quality of Life mod, that means there is no trade off. You gain a free slot to slap on a Steady Hands to trivialize the weakness of the weapon, a weakness that balances it well, IMO.

I think you should know that DE can nerf anything at any moment if they find it too overpowered. It happened to Synoid Gammakor and it will happen to Rakta Ballistica.

I think you should know that DE can nerf anything at any moment if they find it too overpowered. It happened to Synoid Gammakor and it will happen to Rakta Ballistica.

You know they buffed the Rakta twice in a week and a half, just to get it where it is now, right? Down the road I think they will change it, but not any time soon.

Unlike warframe abilities which may benefit from both positive and negative characteristics, weapons always are about damage. As was said in one of the previous devstreams, the mods everyone puts in every weapon (such as Serration) will be removed from the mod list to give players more choices.

I think you're thinking too one-sided, if you to use a mod such as a certain ammo mutation, you're taking away the damage you could've potentially had. Of course, this might be a balancing issue for some of the weapons.

That's a balancing issue, not a weakness. If anything it might be something to alert DE what is over powered and what isn't. Because players are too foolish to take advantage of something, complain it's too OP, and then cry when it gets nerfed.

Your arguement only points to the negative. I understand what you're trying to say, but that's not good enough. That's totally a balancing issue. If you don't have any positive constructive criticism, then you can kindly show yourself out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From my perspective, the reason Utility mods were added to Warframes were to let people use the mods not many would consider for their loadout. Of course, every one is just going to run Rush on their load out, then complain when they nerf it (Which is what I expect will happen).

I'd rather have different mod slots for different parts of the gun, as discussed in other parts of the forums.

Like, have a slot for the "clip" that you can only use something like magazine warp or trick mag

And a slot towards the front that only recoil mods would affect,

And a slot in the barrel where you can choose to put on a scope or silencer mod, or...yeah.

Edited by Volume

I wouldnt say I was against it but it would make a lot of my already OP guns even more OP if I could take out a utility mod and put another elemental on.

For example with my Hek, I've agonised over whether to use a mod to increase shots from four to six or put another damage mod on, and while your idea would remove that dilemma I think we should have to make sacrifices and trade offs sometimes.

I wouldnt say I was against it but it would make a lot of my already OP guns even more OP if I could take out a utility mod and put another elemental on.

For example with my Hek, I've agonised over whether to use a mod to increase shots from four to six or put another damage mod on, and while your idea would remove that dilemma I think we should have to make sacrifices and trade offs sometimes.

Elemental isn't considered Utility, it is a damage mod thus you couldn't equip them in that slot. As for the second part, I feel you. I stopped using the Kohm, which I did like a lot, because I always almost heavily relied on shotgun mutation.

The idea of Utility specified mods, I think, was to have other players use mods that were rarely used in their build. (Because so many players min-max everything) My idea was built upon that idea.

Elemental isn't considered Utility, it is a damage mod thus you couldn't equip them in that slot. As for the second part, I feel you. I stopped using the Kohm, which I did like a lot, because I always almost heavily relied on shotgun mutation.

The idea of Utility specified mods, I think, was to have other players use mods that were rarely used in their build. (Because so many players min-max everything) My idea was built upon that idea.

I was working on the assumption that if I used Fast Hands on a Tonkor for example, then I could shift FH over to the utility slot and then put another damage mod on to replace it, is that incorrect?

Edited by (PS4)NachoZissou

I was working on the assumption that if I used Fast Hands on a Tonkor for example, then I could shift FH over to the utility slot and then put another damage mod on to replace it, is that incorrect?

I never thought of it that way, so you are correct. My bad, good eye/ thought.

EDIT: The same could be said to some warframe builds that would fit into the Utility slot too.

I never thought of it that way, so you are correct. My bad, good eye/ thought.

EDIT: The same could be said to some warframe builds that would fit into the Utility slot too.

Yes, this is pretty much what will happen to all my Warframes since I already use Rush on almost everything.  I know it's one that can be moved from where it is in my current build to the new slot and I know it's one of the more expensive ones so polarising the new slot to fit it will be worthwhile.  Once that's done I'll be looking at what new mod I can add to my existing build from all the mods available.

I think you're thinking too one-sided, if you to use a mod such as a certain ammo mutation, you're taking away the damage you could've potentially had. Of course, this might be a balancing issue for some of the weapons.

That's a balancing issue, not a weakness. If anything it might be something to alert DE what is over powered and what isn't. Because players are too foolish to take advantage of something, complain it's too OP, and then cry when it gets nerfed.

Your arguement only points to the negative. I understand what you're trying to say, but that's not good enough. That's totally a balancing issue. If you don't have any positive constructive criticism, then you can kindly show yourself out.

When you asked, "What do you all think?" did you only mean you want people that will back your idea up? 

Look fella, I'm just sharing what I think, which is what you asked for in the OP. 

I'm not sure how the fact that it has to do with balance makes this not a weakness. Weapons that are uber powerful are given other weaknesses to balance the game. Look at the Ogris. That much damage is countered by a single shot barrel, and a low ammo pool. They specifically reduced the ammo pool. If we have a free space for a mod that will counteract such a balancing weakness, then the game will fall into unbalance. 

Lets take a look at how this free space for a Quality of Life mod would affect primaries. 

Acrid: How about a Free Seeker mod, providing 2.1 Punchthrough to a weapon, in addition to 8 slots that can be modded for damage?

Akjagara: How about a Quick Draw, eliminating the 2.3 Reload that balances the weapons high DPS, in addition to 8 slots that can be modded for damage? 

Akmagnus: Same as above. Eliminating half of a 3 second reload, on a fast crit weapon is just unbalancing.

Aksomati: Same as above, or perhaps a free Slip Magazine capacity increase to a High DPS crit weapon?

Angstrum: My Angstrum already deals 17,000 damage. Should I get a free reload or Fire rate mod in addition to that, without the damage suffering?

Atomos: Should I get a free ruinous extension, and be able to blast people 100 meters behind me, after shooting people ahead of me, with no reduction in damage to balance it?

Brakk: Should we get a free anything on a weapon that already has it all?

Despair: Now I can put Gunslinger on the side, and buff my damage...which is entirely unnecessary.

Dex Furis: The main balancing feature on this is the ammo capacity. Should everybody get a free mod slot for a Primed Pistol Mutation?

Embolist: Same here, but with range as well. I could unequip my Primed Pistol Mutation, slip that into the free slot, and replace it with ruinous extension. 

The Furis, in addition to it's Winds of Purity, would be capable of having a free reload, or ammo capacity mod. OP much? Not when you have to sacrifice something for that quality of life mod.

Hikou Prime: With massive DPS weapons like this, the Acrid, and others, reload mods, and ammo capacity mods, technically double as damage mods. 

Kohmak: Fathom a Kohm, or a Kohmak that had a free Prime Ammo Mutation. It removes the only balancing weakness they really have. The Kohmak has a smaller clip, but tons of multishot, so it's roughly the same.

Lex Prime: This weapon almost needs quality of life mods. It's slow, it has kick, and it has a hard reload. It has this because it is a heavy damage crit sniper. Elimiinating weaknesses, without costing it some damage, would unbalance it.

Pyrana: This is another DPS. The only thing that keeps it in check is that absurd 5 ammo capacity, and the 2 second reload. Ammo capacity wouldn't do much, but an Ammo mutation would. Seems that Ammo Mutations alone are a good enough reason to not include a Utility slot.

Rakta Ballistica: This weapon needs Steady hands for most people. That sideways recoil was tailor made for this, and it's mundane counterpart. To have a free pass at eliminating that balancing weakness is to unbalance the weapon.

Synoid Gammacor: The ammo capacity of this was nerfed specifically because of how OP it was. Again, Ammo mutation to the rescue.

Telos AkBolto: Dang, that 2.6 reload. A free slot to eliminate the reload, on top of not interfering with the damage available?

Those were only secondaries. The list goes on, and gets worse with the Primaries.

if you to use a mod such as a certain ammo mutation, you're taking away the damage you could've potentially had.

Of course you are taking away potential damage for ammo. That is the entire point of balance. How do you not feel this is a bad idea? If they gave us this, they would have to massively nerf several mods to keep the builds from getting out of hand.

Of course you are taking away potential damage for ammo. That is the entire point of balance. How do you not feel this is a bad idea? If they gave us this, they would have to massively nerf several mods to keep the builds from getting out of hand.

You do realize that team ammo restores exist, right? Ammo is already effectively infinite for a prepared player. The Ogris/penta nerf did little but make the weapons less convenient to use.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

You do realize that team ammo restores exist, right? Ammo is already effectively infinite for a prepared player. The Ogris/penta nerf did little but make the weapons less convenient to use.

Yeah, I do. For many weapons, the ammo restores are a necessity that comes at a cost. You have to sink resources into them, you have to take the time to equip them, drop them in game, and be able to stand in the radius. At least you have to work for it. Therein is the balance.

Adding this slot would eliminate the need for the restores, making them about as useful as Shield restores before Overshields.

Even if there is a game feature that trivializes certain ammo capacity, there is still the scenarios where the only drawback to a weapon is the reload, or the kick, or the range, or the spread, or the status duration, or the punchthrough, or even the fire rate. 

The slot would be a very bad unbalancing agent in the game.

Edited by (PS4)Fenrushak