Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can't We All Just Agree That Camping Is For Defenses And Pre-Made Survival Squads, Not For Random Survivals?

Cerenax

The 'camping logic' has spread everywhere and even on random low level survival missions on the void and starchart players are demanding that everyone camp and will call you out if you refuse to stay on the same room as them (pms in all caps and flashing waypoints included among the less polite ones).

For people that want to camp (because they want the extra affinity or whatever) we have the Defense game mode which is a much more appropriate place for this playstyle than survivals. If players still want to camp on a survival they should assemble their own squads from recruitment or with their clanmates and warn that they are going to camp, instead of just posting "HT2 Survival" on recruitment tab and once he has already invited people to the squad start complaining if people don't automatically begin camping like it was the natural way to play a survival. Survival tilesets are huge, why would people think that camping on a tiny spot is the default way of playing it at all?

INB4 but you get more LS if you camp! That's a huge oversimplification that does not accurately match how the spawning system works at all. What matters primarily for LS dropping purposes is how many enemies you are killing which indirectly relates to how many enemies are spawing. If you are constantly killing high amounts of enemies it does not matter if your squad is pack close or spread or standing still or on the move at all. And the spawn logic is that enemies try to spawn close to teammates and the more spawn points are available near teammates the more enemies will spawn up to the total enemy cap of the level which means that, in fact, spreading the team out can make a larger number of enemies spawn than camping.

Edited by lvl999ArchNecromancerIRL

As a counterpoint: Staying in the same room, provided it's large enough, is preferable to fanning out and going to every corner of the map. If I had a platinum for every time I've had someone die about 6 rooms away by themselves, bleed out and immediately quit the mission I could afford to just buy everything I'm in a Survival for in the first place. Huddling together under the globe is not ideal either, but I'd like to be able to pick people up in a timely manner and not drop everything to speed rush through room after room trying to quickly work out exactly where they died in order to keep them going and active.

If you insist on being a lone wolf, please do it no more than two rooms away so if you get destroyed by a random surprise Bombard I don't have to traverse Hell's half-acre to get you back in the fight.

When me and my clan mates refer to "camping", it usually just means "Stay in this room so it's easy to revive you." No one enjoys camping, I'd rather run around and kill stuff...ya know...the entire purpose of this game. If someone demands that I camp, I have macros set up so we get to the location, I turn on my macros, and I read forums or watch videos

it is annoying i was invited to a T2 survival and they wanted to do a tunnel camp. So i asked how long are we staying they said 20 minutes. I AM NOT GOING TO CAMP FOR A 20 MINUTE T2 SURVIVAL RUN. i just cant do it. Its boring and the mission is already easy. Low level players take camping to a whole new level. They just feel like they always have to do it

How about we just agree that no one should join a random mission if they're dead-set on playing a particular way that requires the other players to do that too?

Pretty much. I typically play like this:

Follow the majority. If the all the other players but me want to play a certain way, I'll match what they're doing. If there isn't a majority, it's pretty much fair game.

Or as the OP slightly mentioned a bit...people could say what they intentions are to begin with? It's not that hard to add the word "camp" into your recruiting. I know people are lazy but jesuz. I have joined a lot of rooms that just say H>-insert mission-, no mention of camping and if you automatically don't do it boy do they get mad. Which makes it even worse then they actually have the nerve to get mad as if people are mind readers. Worse still if they are those that get mad as if someone took a wiz in their cereal and were told after they finished it.

As a counterpoint: Staying in the same room, provided it's large enough, is preferable to fanning out and going to every corner of the map. If I had a platinum for every time I've had someone die about 6 rooms away by themselves, bleed out and immediately quit the mission I could afford to just buy everything I'm in a Survival for in the first place. Huddling together under the globe is not ideal either, but I'd like to be able to pick people up in a timely manner and not drop everything to speed rush through room after room trying to quickly work out exactly where they died in order to keep them going and active.

If you insist on being a lone wolf, please do it no more than two rooms away so if you get destroyed by a random surprise Bombard I don't have to traverse Hell's half-acre to get you back in the fight.

That's like seriously one of the most fun parts of survivals, seeing if you can get to that other player that died in a far away room. It's the ultimate parkour/coptering skills challenge.

That's like seriously one of the most fun parts of survivals, seeing if you can get to that other player that died in a far away room. It's the ultimate parkour/coptering skills challenge.

Not all players think this is as fun as you do.

You can camp if you want to.

You can leave your friends behind.

Cuz your friends don't camp

And if they don't camp

Well they're no friends of mine.

But really, camping is actually pretty much the smart move in Survival. What you are looking for on each map is a number of spots that set up the best fight for your Warframe/Squad. You should be finding places that make the most of your powers and going to town. There are a number of 'perfect' tiles on every tileset that make for the best arenas to hold out in with your squad. These places tend to be easy to fight in.

Being on the move is fine, though it can mean your Oxygen Tanks might end up spread out a bit, possibly hurting accessibility in a pinch. Personally I try to make note of all the 'perfect arena' tiles there are on a map and then move between them.

In survival there are:

The extremists:

- Those who wander alone, are never seen, no one is helping anyone or team playing. (they miss out on allot of stuff, will explain ahead)

- Those camping, they select 1 spot were they do not move out, some spam all the time, keeping the exploit farming going on, half the team is not doing nothing (no one is having any fun)

The non-extremists:

- A team that moves together, rarely separate, they help each other.

- (my favorite) the team selects a room, of which they don't leave, but can roam around all they want, benefits:

everyone is in xp share range

all the loot is in that room, so no one is missing out

always close to help and work as a team

(the best benefit) the enemy spawn rate isn't broken, because when leaving rooms you break spawn rate, enemies take longer to reach you since they spawn further away, less enemies means less capsules, less xp, less drops, etc.

As for defense, there is only 1 item that is bad, door heroes, or hallway heroes, or rambos (whatever you call them)

They aren't protecting the objective

They aren't at xp share range, which means they are killing allot but not gaining any special xp, and they depriving the rest of the team of xp

They scatter loot all over

If they get downed, it may provoke the entire team trying to save them and failing the mission cause they all abandoned the pod (I have seen this too many times), or it may cause 1 player to get downed and die trying to save that guy who wasn't helping or team playing.

As for where should ppl get their xp? All endless missions are perfect for it.

But interception is still the best as the xp share range is huge, and no amount of door heroes can ruin it.

Either way, no one ever should claim or tell others where to xp farm, as long as they are in an endless mission type.

Edited by 7grims

Ideally, yeah.

Although, you should be sticking near the O2 supplies until you have to use them and not haring off to die in isolated corners in remote parts of the map.

I've seen a lot of lower tier folks trying to camp a particular spot and it rarely ends well. If there's no communication or attempt to get everyone on the same page, it's going to fail. Also, it's mostly unnecessary. If you're only planning on staying 30-40 minutes, there's no reason to hide in a corner and vegetate. The main thing is the team sticking together (more or less), but it doesn't really require a dedicated team.

defense is indeed a 'camp' if you look at it, but how exactly do you play a 'survival' mission? yes, there are many ways to play a survival mission other than keep moving or camping, the objective is to survive, and you have to do anything to survive 

camping in survival isn't 'exploit' or anything bad, it's a play style (unlike camping in an INT mission), and I can understand what you mean, but just join a squad that doesn't camp, that's the best option 

Fair enough. 

Typically the default way of playing since survival was introduced has been to camp the room with a capsule or go no further then a room around an LS capsule.

This whole boarding yourself up in one of those dead ends is kind of new(ish) thing and doesn't really improve spawns.

As long as you don;t have spawns bug out and your team is doing the killy killy while sticking close by to eachother and not running off to the otherside of the map you will generally always end up with a tone of LS.

RNG permitting of course.

Thats a fair statement though. I'm not 100% against camping with in reason (no point in T1 or T2 but eh), but forcing random people and assuming its the default is silly.

defense is indeed a 'camp' if you look at it, but how exactly do you play a 'survival' mission? yes, there are many ways to play a survival mission other than keep moving or camping, the objective is to survive, and you have to do anything to survive 

camping in survival isn't 'exploit' or anything bad, it's a play style (unlike camping in an INT mission), and I can understand what you mean, but just join a squad that doesn't camp, that's the best option 

OP's point is people don't mention they are camping and assume everyone does, which then means they get antsy about it when OP is obviously not eager to camp for no reason or without it being agreed on.

He has a point. Its really weird now that its the default, especially when its not actually anymore effective.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Camping is the most boring thing I could do in game or with anything really. I'd rather play it normally and risk losing the mission and have fun than sit there for 40 or 60 minutes staring at one spot. 

At least wait until the spawns get crazy before camping but I notice that people start camping right away even in the easier void missions. Mind numbingly boring.

Camping is the most boring thing I could do in game or with anything really. I'd rather play it normally and risk losing the mission and have fun than sit there for 40 or 60 minutes staring at one spot. 

At least wait until the spawns get crazy before camping but I notice that people start camping right away even in the easier void missions. Mind numbingly boring.

Well, true that but you can minimize the screen and watch some movies or any shows while playing Warframe, multitasking. :D

Well, true that but you can minimize the screen and watch some movies or any shows while playing Warframe, multitasking. :D

At which point DE said "We better fix that."

And nullifiers in Survivals had their sniper rifles removed, then replaced with modified Amprexes with guanteed Magnetic procs on the chain from the initial hit.

Grouping into a tight ball suddenly becomes a very bad idea.  The forums scream with rage.  Youtube survival runs cease to exist.  The game designers laugh.

Edited by Phatose

How about we just agree that no one should join a random mission if they're dead-set on playing a particular way that requires the other players to do that too?

Quoted for truth.

Also, it is a lot more beneficial to stay within a "good" tile or two (depending on layout), then it is to run around as chickens all over the map. Especially as you reach the longer times due to scaling.

If you don't want the risk of people camping in "your" game, get out of public and form a group with like minded people. Might be anecdotal, but as a fairly frequent survival player, I really don't see any particular upside to running around other then personal satisfaction.

INB4 but you get more LS if you camp! That's a huge oversimplification that does not accurately match how the spawning system works at all.

And yet in practice this still holds true. For the simple reason that shooting targets from predictable angles without minimal effort is a lot more efficient. A "good" tile has plenty of spawn point for all the spawns to funnel to the tile. There is a total enemy spawn cap which you don't need to be in separate places on the map for to reach, so no, you don't get "more" enemies by spreading out(they just literally..spread out). All it does is add time for spawns to reach you(the ones spawning behind you chasing you), and as a result your total ttk on each spawn. Next to having to spend more time aiming around the tiles for targets.

By staying stationary(inside a tile, not literally standing still) you reduce the time it takes for them to reach you, all the while making taking them out easier due to funnel effect. You'd have a point if the total amount of spawns was somehow blocked by players being near each other, but DE hasn't specified anything of the sort to my knowledge. Add to that the general benefits of staying relatively close to each other.

Outside of that, nobody should be making any demands in a public game.

Edit: Special mention for OP, a good read : https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/244496-the-art-of-survival-a-how-to-guide/

Edited by Lynxh

You don't really need to camp unless it's 40 minutes into a T4 survival, camping is boring, why would you turn something that's supposed to be fun into work? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Presumably the same players that obsessively power grind and then complain about the grind on the forums... while they grind...

Dem assembly line mechanics bruh.

I'm ok with camping, within reason.

You got me fecked if you think I'm going to camp a T1 for lulz.

LS will still probably be at 80% a majority of the time before we even need to pop our first capsule 30 mins in.

Edited by StinkyPygmy