Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Or Shouldn't There Be A "stat Tree" In Warframe?

Demiax

Please post ideas whether you think that a Stat Tree in Warframe would be good or bad for the game. In my opinion I don't really think it could hurt, but make the game more interesting and more fun to mod for specific stats. By stat tree, I mean Passives that you can unlock (this is for every Warframe, meaning all stats attributed to will be applied to every Warframe as well), passives such as ammo efficiency (bullets in the clip have a chance to not count towards the reduction of the clip), reload speed and more. And of course these would be VERY small increases in stats. Just a concept, please no hate, keep the constructive criticism flowing! 

EDIT: Maybe a Skill Tree 2.0 for U18?

Thanks!

Edited by Demiax

Supposedly the old system was like that, and was considered over powered. Well, now we are too powerful with mods 2.0. Perhaps they can go somewhere in the middle(mods and a tree, like in certain MMORPG's), and adjust the stat values to compensate. 

I see absolutely no reason for it. Most skill tree systems aren't things you can change on the fly the way you can with the mod system in Warframe. And I see no real reason to add one on top of the system already in place. A lot of frames are OP as it is, they don't need to be more so.

Edited by Ceryk

Yes, specifically or only for those mandatory mods, everyone ever uses, maybe this way, they free up the mod system, for actual modding.

Because currently we are all stuck in meta, and the mod system is only used as an skill tree for essential mods that upgrade the basic stats.

Edited by 7grims

From what I now, before the mods system there was a "tree" system... but that gave little to no personalization, so they changed. I think the mod system is pretty ok, it's original and works, even if for many things are needed tweaks

I see absolutely no reason for it. Most skill tree systems aren't things you can change on the fly the way you can with the mod system in Warframe. And I see no real reason to add one on top of the system already in place. A lot of frames are OP as it is, they don't need to be more so.

The mod system is actually superior to a tree.  Even if the tree were super easy to reset, it's still the lesser of the two systems.

The moment when u realize everyone is using the mod system as a skill tree.

People only use the mandatory mods, the essential mods, the mods that upgrade the basic stats for optimal gameplay.

I don't want a skill tree, I want both.

Skill tree for the must-have mods, and the mod system liberated for all the utility/other mods.

I have a lot of pics of this mod system.

it was very interesting because different frames would end up with different stats depending on how you built them.

For example, you could totally avoid certain powers. Like, Ember's fireball and fireblast were completely useless back then, so I built her to not even have those abiltiies. I was able to open 11 slots for mods. On Excal, since all his abilities were helpful (even super jump), he was built to have all the abilities and maybe 8 or 9 mod slots.

Mods were more diablo-esque, too. randomly generated and stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/f0uYv#IUr9Jif

example of how it was before the change

http://puu.sh/jevUw/f2af7afe81.jpg

example after the change.

/e: if you can't tell, the player could've built for two extra mod slots, top right.

Edited by Volume

Please post ideas whether you think that a Stat Tree in Warframe would be good or bad for the game. In my opinion I don't really think it could hurt, but make the game more interesting and more fun to mod for specific stats. By stat tree, I mean Passives that you can unlock (this is for every Warframe, meaning all stats attributed to will be applied to every Warframe as well), passives such as ammo efficiency (bullets in the clip have a chance to not count towards the reduction of the clip), reload speed and more. And of course these would be VERY small increases in stats. Just a concept, please no hate, keep the constructive criticism flowing! 

Thanks!

Not at all.

All a passive tree does is lock that Frame down and remove the ability to quickly configure it for different situations.  It will amplify Frames that are already OP within their area of specialty while providing no net benefit to others.

Then you have the issue of people needing respecs and the ability to have alt=specs (and be able to switch between them quickly ala WoW).

Mods are plenty - and they still have the issue of usually requiring 6+ of your 8 slots to have specific mods maxed to be able to survive end-game.

Far better to pick a survival point on the infinite mob scaling curve and buff/nerf frames/weapons altogether to meet that target.

Not at all.

All a passive tree does is lock that Frame down and remove the ability to quickly configure it for different situations.  It will amplify Frames that are already OP within their area of specialty while providing no net benefit to others.

Then you have the issue of people needing respecs and the ability to have alt=specs (and be able to switch between them quickly ala WoW).

Mods are plenty - and they still have the issue of usually requiring 6+ of your 8 slots to have specific mods maxed to be able to survive end-game.

Far better to pick a survival point on the infinite mob scaling curve and buff/nerf frames/weapons altogether to meet that target.

Hey guess what? I didn't say for one specific frame, but all frames in general. If there is an OP frame, nerf it. Maybe next time actually make eye contact with the thread, that'd be great! Thanks!

~Demiax

That is the biggest sin, of the entire mod system.

Yet you quickly discard this tread suggestion.

A skill tree might not be the solution, but it also might be part of a possible solution.

TheGreatZamboni once proposed, in the far-off year of 2013, that we should throw out mods altogether and just have a skill tree for raw upgrades. Steve saw it on the devstream and went bonkers.

I'd like it so that mods are a lot more gameplay-oriented: more interesting and wacky and variable, while some sort of upgrade tree like he proposed (search it up on google cos it's archived) could upgrade our base stats, i.e. health, shields, damage, firerate, bullet spread, range, damage falloff, etc. We do need to get around to doing something like that, but DE seems to understand the purpose of mods as of right now, so hopefully we do get a progression 2.0 along with a scaling 2.0 somewhere off in the future - it'd fix up most of the game's issues for sure.

Hey guess what? I didn't say for one specific frame, but all frames in general. If there is an OP frame, nerf it. Maybe next time actually make eye contact with the thread, that'd be great! Thanks!

~Demiax

Hey guess what - I did read your thread.

And unless you're going to get rid of all the innate attributes in each frame, then some frames are going to benefit more from a tree than others.

And, ultimately, you'll be back where the current mod system is now - stacking surv and efficiency buffs and forgoing utility - just without the flexibility that removable mods give you.

Functionally, the current mod system *is* a stat tree - just one you don't have to beg for respecs with.

A skill tree is always something rather static, and I rather have the freedom the current mod system offers. Also I don't think a classical skill tree would work well with this game since usually you build a skill tree to fit a single character/build. In Warframe on the other hand each player has access to multiple warframes and is able to save up to 3 different builds for each one.

How do you make a skill tree that fits all? And then how meaningful can the available skill choices be if the skill tree needs to fit all warframes and builds?

That is the biggest sin, of the entire mod system.

Yet you quickly discard this tread suggestion.

A skill tree might not be the solution, but it also might be part of a possible solution.

I disregard it because a skill/passive/whatever tree does the same thing as the current mod system.

About the only thing that will fix it is to completely discard any mods that are 'more'.  More damage, more shields, more speed, more . . .

And only insert mods that add new *capabilities*.  Instead of adding x elemental damage, a mod would add an elemental proc based on the damage your weapon already does, for example.  Fewer mods, but fewer *required* mods also.

A skill tree is always something rather static, and I rather have the freedom the current mod system offers. Also I don't think a classical skill tree would work well with this game since usually you build a skill tree to fit a single character/build. In Warframe on the other hand each player has access to multiple warframes and is able to save up to 3 different builds for each one.

How do you make a skill tree that fits all? And then how meaningful can the available skill choices be if the skill tree needs to fit all warframes and builds?

I assume the OP means a skill tree tied to each frame (even if its the same tree you can customize it for each individual frame).

Functionally, the current mod system *is* a stat tree - just one you don't have to beg for respecs with.

All the truth, direct and simple, right there.

I disregard it because a skill/passive/whatever tree does the same thing as the current mod system.

About the only thing that will fix it is to completely discard any mods that are 'more'.  More damage, more shields, more speed, more . . .

And only insert mods that add new *capabilities*.  Instead of adding x elemental damage, a mod would add an elemental proc based on the damage your weapon already does, for example.  Fewer mods, but fewer *required* mods also.

We are actually on the same line of thought.

I just don't discard solutions/ideas like that.

Many of the players are so against a skill tree, because they still have in memory the horrible way DE did it.

Others dont think about progressive or dynamic skill trees, or any other upgrade system there might be.

Skill tree doesn't mean it haves to be plain, boring and straight forward.