Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Late Coming "buff" Idea To Shotguns

gkuoni

Now I know that a lot of you will say things like: "A buff is already on its way", or "This will make them overpowered"

However please hear me out. This isn't really meant too much as a buff, but more of a gameplay changer.

My idea, is that either through a mod or just normal mechanics, shotguns have a higher crit chance and damage relative to how close an enemy is. 

What this will do:

- This change will make it so that to deal even more damage, you will have to get in closer. Shotguns irl have the most strength at the beginning of the shot rather than a couple meters away. Going in with a shotgun should be rewarding, as you are sacrificing your own safety to dish out a lot of damage.

-This will also indirectly nerf long distant snipes, without adding falloff to the base stats.

What I am trying to say with this:

One way to make this still balanced, is that it can only deal this extra crit boost, if you shoot it at point blank. The normal crit chance and damage will take effect at further distances.

Another way this could occur is that only some shotguns will have this effect, to stop it from certain shotguns getting out of control. Such shotguns that would get this could be: Boar (Prime), Hek, Tigris, Strun (wraith) and Sobek.

Please only constructive feedback on what you think of this idea.

They sort-of do get this buff currently because of how Spread and damage fall-off occur....Boar Prime with Ember build is about 69k DPS

But I do like your Crit ramp-up suggestion for being point blank on an enemy.

I personally still would like Status changed to per pellet/projectile.....can be applied to all firearms....Continuous Beam-Shotguns-Snipers-Anything with multi-shot

Then when status-only mods get buffed they shall be worthwhile.

Shotguns allready getting this kind of buff(2-3 times damage bonus within her current non falloff range) and falloff itself applies less damage dropoff and only reduce the weapon damage to 50%(still with the spread of a boar prime this is like nothing at 20+ meters).

It will probably more or less work like how shotguns perform on a frame like Ember that can use accelerant to to hit multiple times harder with them at point blank and also to lessen the impact of damage falloff to some degree.

Crit isn't that good of a mechanic on shotguns then most people think, because most of the time you will not have all pellets on target and can't really hit with them weak spots effective. If a pellet does crit it also does scale of the pellet instead of the hole shot, what means much lesser gains to total dps then on other weapons. Also status is more or less the defining thing of good end game shotguns(yes status shotguns are very good at high levels, even today) what leaves no room for crit mods.

I do agree with MrNishi that a change from deviding status by pellets towards how status shotguns work(full status is applied to each pellet) would help all shotguns a lot. The simple reason for this is that status shotguns are quite useful at high levels, since they can counter armor/shield scaling very good and haveing weapon based CC on them as well goes a long way for practical shotgun use at close range, especially at higher levels.

Edited by Djego27