Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Extremely Slow Download Speeds

NumberCity

After reinstallation of the game due to an apparent 'Checking For Updates' freeze, using the steam version, I've come across incrensely slow download speeds of about 10kbps average. Occasionally it'll drop to 800bps - 2kbps, and sometimes to about 300kbps. Normally my games download at about 1mbps, so this is rather abnormal.

With 254mb left to go, I don't particularly fancy paying immense electricity and internet bills.

I'm running Windows 8.1 with Avast! Free Antivirus. I've disabled Game Booster as well.

My computer runs the game at 30-40fps average.

My internet provider is the UK provider Sky Broadband.

Currently I've tried flushing DNS, all the Internet Explorer troubleshooting methods, etc etc, to no avail. I dread whatever comes with U17 in terms of download speed and size. I might have to postpone the update for a while.

Anyway, if anyone has come across solutions not listed on this thread already, let me know. In the meantime I'll try enabling and disabling the download options on the launcher.

Thank you!

This is my fourth reinstallation in about three weeks because of launcher problems. I can't handle replacing the router, or updating the game overnight every month several times. Surely there's another way around it other than the bog-standard "too bad, reinstall it, no problems here."

your bandwidth is acceptable, so it's not that.

~1.4 Megabytes down and ~140 Kilobytes up isn't amazing but is sufficient.

on the Launcher Settings, there is 'Bulk Download' and 'Aggressive Download'.

these are on by default, and should result in faster speed, but things can be weird, fiddling with these on and off may prove better results for your situation.

- - - - -

don't worry much about Electricity and Internet though.

unless your Computer is from the 90's give or take, it has Efficiency tech. when not doing anything intense (downloading data is basically idle), the system will underclock itself to 5% or less of it's normal capabilities.

power usage is very nominal then. usage while doing intense tasks is also considerably less than Pop Culture and Mass Media would lead you to believe.

the internet talks about AMD Processors using more Electricity is largely silly because it's a difference of at absolute most, like, 5 bucks a year on your bill.

and Internet costs are irrelevant. you don't pay per minute of connection unless you live on a plane or are using Satellite from the middle of a desert, and data costs even if you're paying for the data, is the same for any volume of data no matter how long it takes to get that data. i.e. 250megs is 250 megs whether it takes a month or a minute.

Thanks for the reassurance, taiiat.

Disabling Aggressive Download didn't have an effect, but now I've just disabled Bulk Download and I'm now about to see if it changed anything.

EDIT: Bulk Download seemed to make it worse. I re-enabled it and I'm now waiting for a response to my support request.

Edited by 4zm0d4n

231mb left and the rate isn't even reaching 1kbps now. This is really irritating. Every time I reinstall or every time there's an update with this game, I have to go through this. Support will probably reply tomorrow or something. I'll leave it to update whilst I play another game I guess.

I think I'm on the edge of giving up now. I'll try Malwarebytes now and see if anything's up. Since I'm playing the game through steam I can't disable that, all the game downloads are off. The only programs up right now are Firefox and Warframe.

Update 17 is downloading for me now at low speeds as well, even after I resolved the previous issue. It seems I'll probably end up reinstalling. I don't understand why so many people have this issue and DE don't seem to have any solutions.

Here's what I was told to do in the support ticket:

It seems that some files are corrupted in Warframe's downloaded cache.

I would first recommend doing a verify and optimize on your download cache. You can do this in the Warframe's stand-alone launcher settings menu. After opening the launcher, please follow the steps below:

• Click on the little gear in the upper right of the Warframe launcher
  • Click either verify or optimize, and after you have done either one of them, please click the other one. Please check the link here for the screenshot:

Also, when the game is not running, try going to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Warframe and deleting all the funny named folders (like F36423HGJYG5434000 ) and any .cfg files. Please note that this would delete your key bindings and all the other in-game settings.

If that does not work, turn off 64Bit-mode in the launcher settings menu as well. The 32bit client may be able to load fresh files and bypass the problem.

Please let me know if it helps or if you need further assistance.

Previously I simply ran Warframe from Launcher.exe in the Tools section, but now even that's not working. I'm not gonna bother reinstalling because it was a fresh installation I first received this issue with. Clearly it's something on my side judging by my tracert:

Tracing route to cds.b5q9z7i8.hwcdn.net [205.185.216.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     2 ms     3 ms  192.168.0.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    14 ms    14 ms    14 ms  84.38.37.34
  4    18 ms    15 ms    15 ms  2.127.241.107
  5    15 ms    15 ms    15 ms  209.197.0.229
  6    15 ms    15 ms    15 ms  209.197.10.122
  7    12 ms    11 ms    12 ms  205.185.216.10

Trace complete.

Hello

What worked for me was disabling aggresive download for a few minutes, the speed went from 10-20 kbps to 300, then re-enabled it and its back on 11000kbps as it should be in my case.

Edited by neotf

I'm having same issue and it became slower than I ever thought of. I remember I tried to fix it and nothing seems work for me. Except I had an error pop up as failure as it said, "Update failed! Some content updates could not be downloaded from our servers. Please restart Warframe to try again. The update will be restarted shortly.."

I really had no idea what's with DE's server or mine or either. 

• 4 months later...