Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parkour 2.0 (U17 Megathread Topic)

[DE]Danielle

Well here is my two cents about parkour 2.0 it's not bad, but it feels a bit rough around the edges I like most of the features it adds my main problem is that it feels very stiff the other system was the bit more forgiving and easier to cancel moves if necessary . And I do believe parkour 2.0 need to bit more focus on melee aspect for it. It feels like it's very lacking in this response that parkour 1.0 had and most importantly is the wall bunny hop is just silly like everyone says they should be really a focus on moving it back to the traditional run with the same mechanic but other than that I think it's a great improvement. I look forward to see it grow and be refined more

URGENT SUGGESTIONS

URGENT SUGGESTIONS

URGENT SUGGESTIONS

---------------------------------

Aim Glide should be supported by melee builds that have no guns or when not equipping a Primary or Secondary weapon. Upward melee attacks should be brought back with all due haste. Wall-based melee attacks need to be implemented.

Finally, ignore the rants about wall hopping. Just make it more flexible and less prone to -fall off-

The person who I replied to had a problem moving backwards while jumping which took 3 Button Presses (holding back, pressing crouch + jump). If those moves I stated are such a problem for you then it's even simpler to just do the following:

1. Have your frame facing backwards and tap roll, it will roll towards the camera, backwards. 1 Button Press.

2. Hold back and tap Jump, does a back jump. 2 Button Presses.

3. Hold back and tap jump twice, does a back double jump. 3 Button Presses.

4. Hold back, tap jump and tap roll, does a jump roll backwards. 3 Button Presses.

So what I have just stated takes less or equal button presses compared to the old backwards slide jump, which was the intended action. So please don't say it's a lot more complex than the 'simple' move of old.

Just to clarify, Im not having trouble with it. It blatantly cant be done. I simply dont want to enable a poor design flaw by trying to find ways around something that should be a standard feature.

When somebody says "this standard feature of the old system was more effective", and you reply "well if you do this and press X, Y, and Z, then you can kinda accomplish the same thing, so its sorta similar...", you are enabling poor design. I think you are truly trying to be helpful, and I do appreciate that. But DE needs to know that certain things need to change because some of the comments touch on very good points about things that are massively worse with the new system.

Just to clarify, Im not having trouble with it. It blatantly cant be done. I simply dont want to enable a poor design flaw by trying to find ways around something that should be a standard feature.

When somebody says "this standard feature of the old system was more effective", and you reply "well if you do this and press X, Y, and Z, then you can kinda accomplish the same thing, so its sorta similar...", you are enabling poor design. I think you are truly trying to be helpful, and I do appreciate that. But DE needs to know that certain things need to change because some of the comments touch on very good points about things that are massively worse with the new system.

Ok then. Thanks for understanding I was just trying to help. Sorry if I'm coming off as apologetic to what you think is wrong with the new system.

URGENT SUGGESTIONS

URGENT SUGGESTIONS

URGENT SUGGESTIONS

---------------------------------

Aim Glide should be supported by melee builds that have no guns or when not equipping a Primary or Secondary weapon. Upward melee attacks should be brought back with all due haste. Wall-based melee attacks need to be implemented.

Finally, ignore the rants about wall hopping. Just make it more flexible and less prone to -fall off-

Sorry what? If you hold 'Block' while in the air it makes you Aim Glide just like aiming with guns. If you do it while you have upward momentum it will actually keep you in the air longer in the direction you were going.

And what are upward melee attacks? They still work in the exact same way as they did before Parkour 2.0. You aim up, jump and hit melee and it will melee upwards, is that what you mean?

Edited by Sci_Ant

Something I feel wallhopping needs is allowing us to slightly angle our trajectory. If you're moving horizontally, aiming higher could make the next hop land a little bit higher for example. With vertical movement it could adjust to the sides.

I find this quite necessary for Spy missions.

Heya, been a long time since I posted here.  I hadn't even realized Warframe got the parkour 2.0 patch until yesterday, so I'm a bit late to the party!

The two main reasons I mostly stopped playing were the horrid RNG grind, and the sticky, flingy, and unpredictable movement system.  Obviously the grind hasn't changed and probably never will, but the new movement system is phenomenal.

Everything I do feels responsive, I can actually tell exactly where I'll land and what will happen when I do land.  

The old wall-running just got me into trouble, since the only time it did any good was on long, clear sections of wall (which coptering was better for anyway) and I'd always accidentally trigger it and fling myself into the stratosphere.  Now, I can use it for three quick steps then transition into going up and then back the other way and off to land right where I wanted to.  Perfect!

Bullet jump is nice, I love being able to go any direction with it.  I don't use the aim glide really, haven't felt any need to yet.

Overall I tried to avoid old parkour and haven't had much time with the new one, so I haven't noticed some of the issues listed in the first four pages I got through, but give me time.

The new parkour system makes the game a lot more fun for me to play, so I guess you got me to come back at least for awhile.  The moment-to-moment experience has always been more important to me than other game systems, so I can ignore the grind for now simply because I'm really enjoying running around and shooting things again.

Don't think I've forgotten the horrid grind and RNG though, I still hate it...

At everyone complaining that nothing is as fast or efficient as coptering, thank goodness it's gone.  The whole problem was that it was too fast and efficient.  It unbalanced the game, allowing players to bypass virtually all of the level and combat if they chose and giving advantage to certain weapon loadouts.  Now you have to actually use sprint mods to go faster, as it should be.

P.S. Was sliding while walking always a thing?  Like, just walking a tiny bit and pressing crouch starts me sliding.  Anyway I kind of love it, because now I can crouch-strafe even while ADS (just tap crouch while walking/aiming) to get an instant dodge left or right (or forward/back) while retaining full control of my warframe.  It even makes sense, like I crouched and pushed off in a split second for some extra momentum in any direction.  Can even use it while sprinting for small, brief bursts of speed every second or so.

EDIT:

Ahaha, just started working my way back and found this, exactly what I just discovered!  It's super nice.

Maybe this will help? Quick dodge move in any direction, almost like a Bullet jump but better.

Edited by t3hsquirr3l

I posted a longer version in another thread, but basically Parkour 2.0 has some merit but it's not good.

Wall jumping looks bad and works bad. Bring back wallrunning, let us seemlessly change the angle of the run instead.

Bullet jumping to sprint slide and back works, but it's just as painful on your hand as coptering. It's also less reliable and less useful.

Most of the old tilesets don't work well with Parkour 2.0 and very little of the underwater set either. Lots of places you can't wall jump at all, lots of places you'll go up and disappear and be reset like you fell off the map.

Coptering was better. IT worked well, it was reliable, and it was useful. If you didn't like how it varied per weapon, a better fix would have been to make all the weapons copter the same (I guess you did, but set it the distance to zero). Right now, if you melee swing out of a bullet jump, you lose your momentum and drop like a rock. It's bad.

As a friend of mine said; "I can't wait for Parkour 3.0" is the best thing to be said about Parkour 2.0. Sorry.

After a week of practice in pvp, am finally feeling comfortable again with the movement. Even the bunny hops once ya learn use them to bounce off of objects rather than using them to climb straight up things with (they admittedly could still use some work). Only revisement I would ask though is to add momentum back onto the aerial melee swing. It is nigh impossible to catch another Tenno in the air with a melee swing at the moment. Short of pure dumb luck and positioning.

Edited by Skeks

Parkour 2.0 is great in my opinion, it is just that during wall latching, there is no way you can aim at anything. If you are wearing a cape, the cape can block your view.

By the way, if you guys really want to improve parkour, stop complaining about how coptering is removed and instead focus on how to actually improve parkour 2.0. Whether you like it or not, coptering is removed because DE did not like it.

Edited by Deruser

Parkour 2.0 is great in my opinion, it is just that during wall latching, there is no way you can aim at anything. If you are wearing a cape, the cape can block your view.

By the way, if you guys really want to improve parkour, stop complaining about how coptering is removed and instead focus on how to actually improve parkour 2.0. Whether you like it or not, coptering is removed because DE did not like it.

Just playing devil's advocate here. DE does not like the meta farming on maps like draco either. Sooooo what happens when DE nerfs something related to that?

Just playing devil's advocate here. DE does not like the meta farming on maps like draco either. Sooooo what happens when DE nerfs something related to that?

Then we have to constantly suggest something until they find something they like. This game is constantly changing in order to improve. If we kept complaining about old things, then we can never move forward here. Let's end this before this thread gets derailed.

Then we have to constantly suggest something until they find something they like. This game is constantly changing in order to improve. If we kept complaining about old things, then we can never move forward here. Let's end this before this thread gets derailed.

except if de insists on removing stuff solely because it's good, then the game is not improving.

I think the system works nicely, it's passable at best and truthly I do no have a problem with most aspects so far despite polish needed.

However the wallhop has mostly negative feelings on my end:

The good - The freedom it provides is nice and I can see the possibilities it can open with the way the idea works, it also does feel a lot smoother.

The bad - Aside from looking awful (hopping looks good for a few changes in direction here and there, or in any short term use, but on a long wallrun it's just ridiculous), while it can be good at performing more complex situations it fails horrendously at performing the most simple of tasks. The biggest fault here is it's bizarre combination of 1) camera view 2) directional keys 3) position of the tenno itself, thst make the wallhop incredibly akward and inefficient for the simplest situations, requiring a lot more (unnecesary) complexity.

The best examples are straight wallruns, horizontally it's very easy to gradually move upwards only because your camera is titled up only slightly, which can be most troublesome for a lot of maps, not to mention that turning corners (both inwards and outwards facing) is also unnecesarily tricky since you can easily hop off the wall by accident any time you try to make a turn (since it requires the aforementioned combination of factors), whereas the old wallrun was able to make these transitions smoothly.

Going straight upwards is not as bad, however whenever you're running towards a ledge most of the time you end up akwardly hopping above it instead of simply doing a quick transition, whereas in the old system the transition was always guaranteed at the end.

Edited by RahuStalker

They are already planning to do that soon with the new Star Chart and alerts system.

except if de insists on removing stuff solely because it's good, then the game is not improving.

There's a big difference between 'easy' and 'good' and it's relative to the player. For some people Draco is all they do in the game because they can't be bothered to actually play it, for some players it is a blight / cancer that is destroying the habits of the player base, just because it's easy. I've also done Draco back when people used to use Excal for it, and I can tell you that playing Draco with the ability spam method is as much a matter of choice as going to a Void defense, Cerberus or playing Draco without using macro farming methods.

Dunno if this has been mentioned already, but here goes.

Wallrunning being removed has a SERIOUS DETRIMENTAL IMPACT on many of the Spy missions with sections designed around it.

I could care less about Wallrunning being removed, I can adapt, games change, etc. But removing a mechanic taken into account in level designs, and then NOT CHANGING THE LEVEL DESIGN to account for the (now removed) movement mechanic is a GREAT way to frustrate players.

Dunno if this has been mentioned already, but here goes.

Wallrunning being removed has a SERIOUS DETRIMENTAL IMPACT on many of the Spy missions with sections designed around it.

I could care less about Wallrunning being removed, I can adapt, games change, etc. But removing a mechanic taken into account in level designs, and then NOT CHANGING THE LEVEL DESIGN to account for the (now removed) movement mechanic is a GREAT way to frustrate players.

Wall hopping works in the exact same way. You hold down the jump button and it will keep you attached to the wall while moving/hopping forward. You can even stop moving and wall latch and decide where you want to go next. There is no need to keep tapping the jump button to wall hop.

How is that worse than a system where you had no control and one wrong button press would send you flying at the speed of light into a wall?

Wall hopping has also been designed around the current levels and it offers more flexibility.

Edited by Sci_Ant

They are already planning to do that soon with the new Star Chart and alerts system.

There's a big difference between 'easy' and 'good' and it's relative to the player. For some people Draco is all they do in the game because they can't be bothered to actually play it, for some players it is a blight / cancer that is destroying the habits of the player base, just because it's easy. I've also done Draco back when people used to use Excal for it, and I can tell you that playing Draco with the ability spam method is as much a matter of choice as going to a Void defense, Cerberus or playing Draco without using macro farming methods.

Oh yes, Im well aware and completely thrilled about it. I was merely implying that while he finds a need to call for calm and rational thought on something here that really makes no difference from one player to the next, imagine what is going to happen when DE figures out how to stop meta farming. Vivergate all over again.

Wall hopping works in the exact same way. You hold down the jump button and it will keep you attached to the wall while moving/hopping forward. You can even stop moving and wall latch and decide where you want to go next. There is no need to keep tapping the jump button to wall hop.

How is that worse than a system where you had no control and one wrong button press would send you flying at the speed of light into a wall?

Wall hopping has also been designed around the current levels and it offers more flexibility.

To be honest, I find Wallhopping way less accurate than was wallrunning. It's also more unpredictable. Because of that, I almost never Wallrun now, compared to the old system.

I generally like this parkour 2.0 but not all of it. Frustrations are:

1. I have not figured out any way to backflip off a wall climb. All I can do is double tap after dropping from the wall and hope I can turn with the mouse in time to aim and jump again toward something. Makes it a tough challenge to get to the platform in the mastery rank 8 test.

2. No instructions anywhere on how to do this with a xbox controller on the PC. I cannot parkour with the controller since this new system requires fast aiming and extra button pushing. (it is too tough as well to find all the keys on the keyboard in time to do what you have to do.)

3. No page with all the deep advanced info on how do do the moves in parkour. Just the basics are in the wiki and only for the keyboard. No mention made about how important it is to control where the aiming point is in order to wall run for example. Look for anything but the wall and you run away from the wall and drop.

4, I find it impossible to wall run and shoot. I am frustrated that I have to cling and then cannot turn my point of aim enough to shoot. For some reason I there is a limit on the turn angle and I am stuck in zoom mode while clinging. The pace of the aim point turn is TOOOO slow to find a target.

I have done some wall climbing today in the dojo and found that the limits I experience in missions are not there. So either something changed or it has to do with the mission design. Maybe it is a clipping issue in tight quarters like the rank test;

I can cling and turn 180 degrees on a dojo wall but I am having trouble doing that on the rank test. Back to practicing.

Well several practices again today at the relay and I have found one big issue with the mastery rank 8 test. It is becoming obvious to me that aim point placement is super important to control movement in this new parkour. I cannot see the aim point at all when I look at a wall in the testl. It disappears against the bright while wall color because the aim point is white.

I am back to whining about how I REALLY need a way to change the aim point color. PRETTY PLEASE!!!

--------------------

I am hoping that these issues are going to be fixed since this isn't the parkour we saw in the DEV stream. Will there be a Parkour 2.01?

Edited by AlanW001

3. No page with all the deep advanced info on how do do the moves in parkour. Just the basics are in the wiki and only for the keyboard. No mention made about how important it is to control where the aiming point is in order to wall run for example. Look for anything but the wall and you run away from the wall and drop.

Now pinned at the top of the 'Players Helping Players' subforum > [Tutorial] Parkour 2.0 Tips And Tricks / Tutorial Videos Collection

Edited by Sci_Ant

I've mostly enjoyed parkour 2.0 but my only real problem is with the ziplines, there have been many occasions where I've hopped onto a zipline unintentionally (mostly due to me using a controller and having the reload and action on the same button), but god forbid someone dies under a zipline because no one is going to revive them and instead be prancing about on the zipline as if they're batman.

Not sure what specific changes could fix this, maybe the player has to be directly looking on the zipline to latch onto it.

I've mostly enjoyed parkour 2.0 but my only real problem is with the ziplines, there have been many occasions where I've hopped onto a zipline unintentionally (mostly due to me using a controller and having the reload and action on the same button), but god forbid someone dies under a zipline because no one is going to revive them and instead be prancing about on the zipline as if they're batman.

Not sure what specific changes could fix this, maybe the player has to be directly looking on the zipline to latch onto it.

Isn't the action for getting off a zipline a simple jump? Why would you be prancing on it when you could press a direction button and press jump? I'm using a keyboard and mouse and also have reload on context action, but that won't stop one from getting off a zipline. I'm confused?