Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Energy Overcap!

SgtFlex

Do you hate using Exalted blade and Effigy, and constantly pick up energy orbs whilst you're nearly full on your energy pool, essentially giving you 5 energy per orb and accidentally use up all of them on the ground?

Or perhaps you're just nearly full on your energy pool on any frame (say you're 3 energy short of max) and you pick up an orb, and only get 3 energy? What good is that!?

Well, look no further! For Energy Overcap feature is here to get rid of that.

Essentially, if you're at your max energy pool, or 3 energy or below of max, instead of only getting 3 energy from an orb, you will essentially fill up your energy pool + whatever would potentially be wasted. While you have an energy overcap, your frame won't be able to pick up any more energy orbs until the excess is wasted (yay no more using up an endless amount of energy orbs while using a channel-type ability!)

So, take this example

8bc51766b3.jpg

Im 3 energy below my max. When I pick up an energy orb, instead of only getting 3 energy from an orb and stopping at 150, and then constantly drain and excessively using energy orbs from exalted blade, it will now instead go to (147+25=) 172 energy! and while im still above 150, I can't pick up any more energy orbs (or gain energy from any instance), and my frame will only be able to pick up energy orbs when they become available and don't go to waste constantly

(Note, you can only go to 25 energy over your max pool, this isn't comparable to shield overcap, where you can get hundreds of overshields)

Open for debate, but keep away from insults

Edited by SgtFlex

Well there are energy orbs worth 50 as well, but this would be handy. BUT WAIT, THERE COULD BE MORE, also apply this to Life Support in Survival and make us unable to pick up oxygen if we're capped so we don't waste any. BUT ALSO why not apply this to ammo so I don't waste 10 sniper ammo when I've shot once with a bow? THE POSSIBILITIES ARE LIMITLESS.

Maybe.

I'd love it but it just might make too much sense to work.

Maybe a slow energy drain on "overenergy" - not too much, like -1 energy every 1-2 seconds. I don't know why, honestly, I just feel like that's what it would be. Plus, easier lore explanation. "Well, if we can hold x more energy, why can't that just be added to our base energy?" Because it's over-capacitance, which is unstable and could be dangerous if stored! :D 

Either way, this would be nice. Especially for Carrier and it's stupid shenanigans >.>

[...]also apply this to Life Support in Survival and make us unable to pick up oxygen if we're capped so we don't waste any[...]

This too! Both concepts are golden!

Maybe also prevent LS activation if any of it would be wasted. I don't see this overcharge feature being necessary for those.

Maybe.

Maybe a slow energy drain on "overenergy" - not too much, like -1 energy every 1-2 seconds. I don't know why, honestly, I just feel like that's what it would be. Plus, easier lore explanation. "Well, if we can hold x more energy, why can't that just be added to our base energy?" Because it's over-capacitance, which is unstable and could be dangerous if stored! :D 

Either way, this would be nice. Especially for Carrier and it's stupid shenanigans >.>

This too. I wouldn't fight putting a decay on it one bit.

Edited by -CM-Jaypalm

I feel like the extra should drain slowly to prevent raid groups from wanting that little bit of energy before they pick up say, a tritium battery.

Perhaps upon immediatly picking up the battery, whatever overcharge you had immediately dissapears .

Maybe.

I wouldn't entirely mind the decay, but my concern is that you pair the 1 energy drain with channeling abilities, and you're somewhat back to the same problem as before as using energy orbs around the battlefield too rapidly.

But then again, it's still better than what happens currently by spamming pickup of energy orbs for 1 energy at a time and wasting them entirely

Overshield, Overenergy, Overpowered....

we also need overhealth

Unlike shields or anything else, energy more so concerns resource, and channeling abilities just make resource management of energy orbs unmanageable (IMO). Overshields don't really have that problem since they're not really a resource

I never really felt that overshields needed to be a feature, but I feel as though an overcap (max 25) of energy should be.

Edited by SgtFlex

While it sounds interesting I personally feel that it's one of the few things that balances it out, being resourceful with your energy is also a skill to master, that a carrier makes it hard to do it, is a choice people willingly have to accept if they want the other benefits.

So far I've never had a problem with energy orbs only giving me less energy when I'm almost at full, again it's management of energy.

If it's really that much of a problem though, bringing a Nekros could help.

I hold the same opinion on life support, as far as I'm concerned this is also a management of resources, and thus adds a little extra thought to when picking it up.

use more specific circumstances for it.

i.e. Channeling Abilities will use 'Over Energy' to avoid wasting an Energy Orb. since you'd be over max then, you cannot pick up Energy Orbs until you go back down ofcourse.

it's certainly annoying to pick up Energy Orbs for 0.5 Energy while using Exalted Blade.

I don't think this should exist. We have too easy time getting energy as it is. If this is really a problem for some, stop using carrier and pay attention to loot.

Sometimes it isn't because of the Carrier though. You could be legitimately running around/away/towards enemy squads to fight/flee/reposition and you're bound to hit some loot. It's gonna suck when you're hitting energy orbs when you don't really need them, and not having them around when you do need them.

Still this is part of energy management and for example making excal's gameplay even easier is not a proper reason for any change.

And for the Twenty something other Frames with loads of different builds who actually could benefit from this system, we're going to say no because of one build? That doesn't make any sense.

The change isn't massive either, it's, at max, 49 energy that you're getting back, not something large like Overshield.

Still this is part of energy management and for example making excal's gameplay even easier is not a proper reason for any change.

In general, excal seems to need some changes still, as his melee does get stupidly powerful and that parry helps him a lot

However, the energy is part of a much larger problem, and that comes from someone who doesn't use carrier. I haven't used Carrier since I had to level him for mastery, but haven't used him since then, I only use Wyrm prime

But, as Alpha pointed out, it shouldn't be excluded just because a problem with 1 frame only since it's a feature for all frames.

Frankly I've never had the problem of running out of energy because of wasting orbs when I've had almost full energy on any frame. Energy orbs drop so commonly that overenergy is not needed. It would also allow casting 100 energy abilities with maxed BR while your max energy is only 150.

Frankly I've never had the problem of running out of energy because of wasting orbs when I've had almost full energy on any frame. Energy orbs drop so commonly that overenergy is not needed. It would also allow casting 100 energy abilities with maxed BR while your max energy is only 150.

I've had the problem several times before myself, especially on defense when you run over the same area constantly, you're bound to just use them up unless you avoid running over energy orbs, which I don't think should be necessarry

Also, how is the second one a problem? It's the only reason I've ever avoided ranking up my BR to max and why I never will, it just conflicts with my builds that don't have streamline or flow.

Edited by SgtFlex