What Do You Want Mastery To Measure?

Something else than someone who levelled weapons or frames. Really, anything else.

Achievements would be nice, but i'm sure we can be more creative than that.

You already have that archivement..

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Warframe/achievements

also, mastery gives you several thinks atm, max daily reputation, max extractors, max loadouts, etc..

Edited by JeyciKon

Normally some product of "enemies killed" is the go-to, but we have a problem here: enemies don't scale to the player.

E.g.: in a game I recently played, it had a kill based rank system with a slow but noticeable exp ramp (i.e. the increase of required experience per level). You were matched with other players around your rank (Usually no more than 10 levels difference) and it scaled the enemies to your squad or just you if you were soloing.

That's a case where that works, because as you personally get stronger, so do your enemies.

In Warframe, you get stronger while your enemies stay the same until you go someplace else where they have a sudden jump in damage and effective health without any new units or abilities, turning it into a war of attrition.

So what do I want it to be? Eh... I want it to measure skill, but there's not really an amazing way to measure that. (Achievements could work but they get REALLY grindy just because there's likely to be some extremely difficult ones. Then, players start focusing on it instead of earning it naturally through healthier gameplay and it just sorta gets obsessive and really unhealthy.)

How much detication you put into something. But that would require a change in how affinity is gained to.

Maybe have it so that mastery doesn't stop once your weapon/frame/companion is at level 30. The more kills you get with a weapon/frame/companion, maybe in the case of the frame/companion how often you have it equipped, the more mastery you get until level 30. The higher your kill count the more mastery points a kill is worth, or in the case or frames/companions the more missions you complete. Just a little rambley thought.

What I want it to measure eh... tis a rather good question, I wish it could measure everything.

How long I can play Floor-Is-Lava, Obstacle courses I've done, Traps I've died to, How many headshots I'd done, General accuracy, How many mooks I've killed, How many missions I've done, How many frames and weapons I've got, How fast I can go through the average mission, How many melee kills I've done, How many stealth kills, How many powers I've used, How many crates I've opened, How many Kubrows and Sentinels, How many times I've killed the Stalker, How many times the Stalker has killed me, How many bosses I've killed, How many allies/kubrows I've revived...

I could probably keep going, but you get the idea.

I don't want it to be seen as a meaningful indicator. I just want shinier icon bling as a minor reward for having hoarded like a maniac.

Just rename it Hoardery Rank or something. Blatantly not an indicator of skill, but rather an indicator of how obsessive you are about collecting.

Make the other stuff like extractors tied to, say, number of planets cleared/bosses killed, since you need to clear them to use more anyway. Trades/rep based on other in-game actions like bosses and quests completed (gotta stack those Savior achievements, with a fix to Hek of course). Unlock the relays fully.

As long as it stops the "mastery"-related elitism forever, I don't care what it is. It's just incredibly obnoxious to have to put up with people whose first response is "MR?" for a bloody T2/T3/Derelict. People who think collection percentage makes you better than everyone else tend to be a liability in real combat situations... although it does provide a nice quick way to figure out which squads aren't going to be good.

I had an idea a while back that should help with the whole mastery rank meaning nothing problem. 

First, Start at rank 1 rather than 0. And instantly rank up to rank 2 after getting your a single loadout all to max level. (melee, secondary, primary, and frame all to 30).

Second, Replace the rank up missions to scaling level survival missions. Allowing people to rank up to their actual skill level directly after rank 2. And the higher the rank you get, the higher level the enemies are within the survival mission. (The mission ends and you rank up when you die, to force people to go as far as they can).

Probably not the best plan, yet should fix with the whole mastery meaning nothing problem

Achievements would be best, I think. Equipment collection should still play a role, but it shouldn't be the ONLY thing playing a role.

Vindictus' title system (where "titles" are basically Achievements whose names you can wear over your head for other players to see) comes to mind. You get Titles from just about anything you do in the game, like progressing through the storyline (e.g. "Captain" for clearing Season 1 Episode 7), killing certain bosses a certain number of times (e.g. "Glas Ghaibhleann Eradicator" for defeating the Glas Ghaibhleann raid twice), completing certain class-exclusive milestones (e.g. "Pro Kicks" for killing 40 spiders by windmill-dancing as a Lann), completing tedious and oddly specific tasks that have nothing to do with the rest of the game (e.g. "Kabooooom!" for killing 500 toad enemies with small bombs), stuff like that.

For every 100 titles your character obtains, the color of the title display above your character's head changes. Players with over 300 titles (bright purple) are considered to be very experienced with the game, and players with over 400 titles (gold) are practically worshipped as gods because of the level of dedication required to achieve that.

WF could do something similar, with mastery rank being determined by the number of achievements obtained. We'll have to actually get some interesting achievements that accurately reflect player skill and/or dedication, though.

Edited by SortaRandom

I had an idea a while back that should help with the whole mastery rank meaning nothing problem.

Honestly? Scaling is far too broken to allow that to ever happen, and of course people would just cheese it with Loki or something.

Also, mastery rank meaning nothing is honestly not the problem as far as I'm concerned - it's that people think it does mean something. It would be much easier to just change things so it really doesn't matter beyond how collection-happy you are.

Mastery should be how many levels you put into your frames/weapons. I still don't understand why forma'ing items/leveling them up multiple times doesn't just have a cap after 8 and give you rep.

I'm MR11 but most of my weapons are forma'd at least 4 times, and my frames at least twice. I don't see why I'm being punished for not wanting to level up junk weapons and instead focusing on ones I really like and making them useable.

Mastery Rank is fine as it is, it represents how many things we have... well... mastered. A statistic that shows how much equipment you have used is a usefull one, the issue is when that statistic is used to represent your entire game progression.

So... what a new ranking system would need to represent is how much a player has progressed in Warframe. My personal definition of Progression in Warframe is the power a player holds, the difficulty they face, and the knowledge they have (of both story and mechanics).

My proposal for a rank that would represent player power is Progression 2.0, A Complete Rework of the Presentation of Warframe. Good luck to you WiiConquered, hopefully you can come up with something the community could rally behind.

Edited by DrBorris