Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

With New Star Chart, Will We Get A More Coherent Solar System?

Coryphaus

It didn't bother me until I looked deeper into it. The maps look good. The abandoned settlements on a red planet, the ship graveyard on an ice planet, gas cities suspended in mid atmosphere, underwater labs in a vast ocean, Grineer shipyards.

Then I saw where these tilesets were placed.

Phobos doesn't have an atmosphere and is actually quite small.

Ceres has a diameter of just 972 kilometres, compared to Earth's 12742 kilometres. It's too small to have significant gravitational pull or even an atmosphere.

Uranus is an ice giant that does not get visible sunlight, moreover any oceans it possesses is probably made of pressurised volatile gasses rather than the water capable of sustaining Earth's aquatic life.

The suspension of disbelief required is too great.

With the new starchart, will we get the tilesets placed on the appropriate planets at last?

Edited by Coryphaus

This was discussed some time ago and yes, many people find it a bit jarring that a far future extremely high tech society liek the Orokin might have... altered the solar system some.

Yes, it looks VERY different from what we know.

Edited by Kalenath

It's a game. Devs have creative license.

Back in the day earth was brown, as in completely destroyed. They changed it when the Frontier tileset was released.

It's easy to chalk up the difference in our planets and theirs to years of abuse by the factions too. >_>

This was discussed some time ago and yes, many people find it a bit jarring that a far future extremely high tech society liek the Orokin might have... altered the solar system some.

Yes, it looks VERY different from what we know.

Yes, problem is the alterations do not seem to match sensible terraformational changes.

Yes, problem is the alterations do not seem to match sensible terraformational changes.

The point is that this is a GAME, and this is far from the first thing to not be sensible.

Even Destiny touted Mercury as being a garden world.

It's not like we need it to be sensible anyway. The planets will most likely get their own look in time.

The point is that this is a GAME, and this is far from the first thing to not be sensible.

Even Destiny touted Mercury as being a garden world.

It's not like we need it to be sensible anyway. The planets will most likely get their own look in time.

I don't play Destiny so I don't understand the importance of your reference.

A more coherent and sensible solar system adds value to the game world.

I don't play Destiny so I don't understand the importance of your reference.

A more coherent and sensible solar system adds value to the game world.

In your opinion.

But in a game that doesn't follow sensibility, a proper solar system could just end up being boring as hell. What do you think Uranus would be? Europa x Jupiter? No. I'd rather have creative, varied and interesting tilesets than 'real world' ones.

But in a game that doesn't follow sensibility, a proper solar system could just end up being boring as hell. What do you think Uranus would be? Europa x Jupiter? No. I'd rather have creative, varied and interesting tilesets than 'real world' ones.

What you have stated is not fact but merely "your opinion", because your bias against sensibility and credible settings does not necessarily lead to such an outcome.

You are not going to try to get into a pissing match on whose "opinion" is better or more valid, are you?

The bottomline is that the tilesets are mismatched to the planets. Moreover the inclusion of the planets and their nodes have not resulted in more varied gameplay. 

The tilesets should be matched more accurately to the developer's vision of their game universe, and it should be sensible and coherent. There's a reason the red earth tileset was placed on Phobos and not Pluto, Eris or Sedna, but placing it on Phobos is still not good enough.

Yes, that is "my opinion" in case you're going to repeat that line as your default answer.

Edited by Coryphaus

Well, EVERYONE assumes that the planets Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune, people actually walk on the PLANETS.

Well, not Jupiter anymore. :)

But look at the names of the nodes. Look familiar? Google moons of said planets.

Yes, Phobos in our time is a tiny, lifeless rock. So is Mercury (If far hotter). After 2 or 3 thousand years of an ultra tech society what will they be like? I have no idea.

COULD the Orokin have terraformed Phobos into the desert world the Grineer swarm all over? Maybe. Maybe not.

Is it game breaking? Not for me.

Edited by Kalenath

In your opinion.

Tilesets don't have to be boring in order to be somewhat scientifically accurate. Yes, this is a game, but players tend to like explanation or game-science to roll with. Lore. Otherwise it's all space magic. Yeah the devs can let their imaginations run free with how and where they place things - it's their game. At the same time though, if you just moved some things around to make more sense, it would add a lot to immersion in the game. Alternatively, some story behind why the system looks the way it does.

Tilesets don't have to be boring in order to be somewhat scientifically accurate. Yes, this is a game, but players tend to like explanation or game-science to roll with. Lore. Otherwise it's all space magic. Yeah the devs can let their imaginations run free with how and where they place things - it's their game. At the same time though, if you just moved some things around to make more sense, it would add a lot to immersion in the game. Alternatively, some story behind why the system looks the way it does.

Well, to start with, they only had 1 tileset and it was everywhere. Now? They are expanding.

I hope to see some explanation as to why the system looks as it does but it doesn't break the game for me.

The suspension of disbelief required is too great.

This game is about Space Ninjas. Who use space magic, Bows, swords and pretty much whatever else to kill entire battalions of enemies. They also fly through space on a fancy jetpack, which is surprisingly loud for a vacuum. They fight an entire empire made of clones, an empire consisting of powerful merchants who all seem to have plasma weapons, and know how to use them, and an ancient alien virus. Not to mention the new adaptable-to-any-situation alien race coming soon. The syndicates the Tenno choose to fight for also seem to be warring with one another, and hunt the Tenno of opposing factions seemingly without remorse, yet are perfectly comfortably sharing a relay or two with said Tenno, and opposing faction.

And you're complaining that the tileset's not matching the planet they're on isn't believable?

This game is about Space Ninjas. Who use space magic, Bows, swords and pretty much whatever else to kill entire battalions of enemies. They also fly through space on a fancy jetpack, which is surprisingly loud for a vacuum. They fight an entire empire made of clones, an empire consisting of powerful merchants who all seem to have plasma weapons, and know how to use them, and an ancient alien virus. Not to mention the new adaptable-to-any-situation alien race coming soon. The syndicates the Tenno choose to fight for also seem to be warring with one another, and hunt the Tenno of opposing factions seemingly without remorse, yet are perfectly comfortably sharing a relay or two with said Tenno, and opposing faction.

And you're complaining that the tileset's not matching the planet they're on isn't believable?

If you can tell us how Phobos could plausibly have not just an atmosphere, but earth's gravitational pull and be covered in red earth (none of which it has at the moment) then I would deem it believable.

If you can tell us how Phobos could plausibly have not just an atmosphere, but earth's gravitational pull and be covered in red earth (none of which it has at the moment) then I would deem it believable.

My point is, this entire game isn't believable. I can't plausibly explain any of the things I mentioned. It's a make-believe fantasy sci-fi game. Considering this is a game about space ninjas doing a lot of unbelievable stuff, tilesets not matching planets doesn't seem an issue to me. This game isn't exactly based on realism.

As a couple others have said several of the nods are named after moons of the planet. Which accounts for alot.

"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable frame magic"

warframe is way past that technological level that could be considered magic to us now. Entire civilizations have risen and fallen. Wars obliterating the solar system and being rebuilt. It leaves no real boundaries

Just to give you guys a comparison:

Earth's diameter: 12742 kilometres.

Earth's moon diameter: 3475 kilometres.

Phobos's diameter: 17 x 22 x 18 kilometres.

Phobos is called a moon but it may as well be just a lumpen pebble compared to even our moon. 

Yes the suspension of disbelief required for Phobos is especially jarring. You play the tileset and you imagine this amazing open world of red earth and abandoned habitats cut into never-ending canyons and sand plains, but then awaken from this dream to brute facts.

Unless the Orokin terraformed Phobos into a planet of its own right, increasing its mass to the order of something like a factor of one million it's VERY HARD TO SEE HOW PHOBOS GOT THERE.

LOL

My point is, this entire game isn't believable. I can't plausibly explain any of the things I mentioned. It's a make-believe fantasy sci-fi game. Considering this is a game about space ninjas doing a lot of unbelievable stuff, tilesets not matching planets doesn't seem an issue to me. This game isn't exactly based on realism.

Even if it were a science-fantasy game, the developers chose to place the setting within our solar system, and not in some imaginary galaxy where they could create the worlds as they saw fit.

They used our planet's names, named nodes after solar system moons, and geographical features of planetoids, etc.

Why would they take such pains with this realism if they wanted to creative license to be at complete liberty?

The grounding that was attempted to be put into the game has been defeated by its own implementation.

What happened with Phobos is the equivalent of attributing the vast steppes of Mongolia and naming the place "Singapore".

I could have play a sword and sorcery game riding unicorns across thousands of kilometres of open grassland bordered by fast flowing rivers, but if the land is called "Singapore" I'm afraid that breaks immersion. Especially when I find out more about Singapore.

Edited by Coryphaus

Even if it were a science-fantasy game, the developers chose to place the setting within our solar system, and not in some imaginary galaxy where they could create the worlds as they saw fit.

They used our planet's names, named nodes after solar system moons, and geographical features of planetoids, etc.

What happened with Phobos is the equivalent of attributing the vast steppes of Mongolia and naming the place "Singapore".

It's called creative licence. The devs could give us a Kubrow species that looks like a unicorn, and is called 'Labrador' if they wanted to. 

It's called creative licence. The devs could give us a Kubrow species that looks like a unicorn, and is called 'Labrador' if they wanted to. 

I'm sorry, friend. That is not creative licence. That would be creative schizophrenia.

The dev's openly admit that Phobos doesn't make sense, and they will get around to fixing it. As for Uranus, I heard that the Orokin altered the gases to create a liquid state. I also learned that its gravity that bad. The pressure would have to be dealt with but maybe the liquid transformation leveled it off. Point is, for the level of space magic, I can suspend my disbelief.

The gravity changes for some of the other worlds is tricky, as I don't know how you add mass to a world without serious cost and complications, but that's why they where Orokin, I guess.

Anyways, the dev's are aware of the incongruities. They will approach each one on a case by case and balance the artistic vision with the reasonable expectation, and we will be the test of how successful each attempt is.

Why would they take such pains with this realism if they wanted to creative license to be at complete liberty?

Because they don't like coming up with new names? You're nitpicking mate.