Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warning Spoiler Alert: Is Lotus Good Or Evil? (New Quest Discussion)

The_Stalker

I would say that the Lotus is morally gray. Objectively speaking. But if you want it from the viewpoint of the tenno, then she is unabigiously good. She abandoned her mission and her family just to adopt us as her children. All the people crying #deathtothelotus now after this revelation sound like edgy teenagers in the middle of puberty rebelling against their parent. I mean, she pretty much sacrificed everything just to keep us safe. To the tenno, she is a force of good. She gives us missions to do and alerts for potatoes. What more could you want from a caring space mom?

How about actually telling us Tenno what we all did during the killing off of the Sentients and Orokins. Also, explaining why put us in ziplock containers to be used in case of emergency? If Lotus actually wanted "children", why put them away? Was there a huge backlash of enemies after we wiped out the Sentients and Orokins? I mean, you don't put somebody in suspended animation unless there is something wrong with them or you don't want your enemies to get control of them and use them against you.

The deathtothelotus folks may sound like edgy teens to you, but a majority of players in both sides of the argument know there is always two sides to everything.

I've been wondering why she awoke us now specifically. Was it chosen at random? Or are we supposed to be fighting the Grineer/Corpus because she wants to save civilians too?

Or she noticed the danger on the horizon and realized that she needs to bring out her "children" to kill it so she doesn't die. The whole "Balance" is just a lie to keep us sharp and strong so whatever comes can die quickly. Afterwards, she will put us back in our ziplock containers untill next time. Gotta keep those blades and guns fresh, rust free, and accurate.

Why would the Grineer come after us if we were in permanent cryo sleep, though? I assumed they came after us because other Tenno had awoken first and they wanted to get their hands on the first Tenno they could before Lotus.

Because they're scared of us. Because they want us dead. The Twin Queens have some backstory that's slowly being revealed, and they're tied to the Orokin Empire.

Who better to understand "the Tenno are dangerous, they MUST be crushed before they can ever wake up" than a pair who saw them in action so long ago?

Fixed, mistyped.

Ah. Well, I suppose it's.. possible? It would explain why she specifically chose us instead of killing us and then just adopting a bunch of normal humans.

How about actually telling us Tenno what we all did during the killing off of the Sentients and Orokins. Also, explaining why put us in ziplock containers to be used in case of emergency? If Lotus actually wanted "children", why put them away? Was there a huge backlash of enemies after we wiped out the Sentients and Orokins? I mean, you don't put somebody in suspended animation unless there is something wrong with them or you don't want your enemies to get control of them and use them against you.

The deathtothelotus folks may sound like edgy teens to you, but a majority of players in both sides of the argument know there is always two sides to everything.

Or she noticed the danger on the horizon and realized that she needs to bring out her "children" to kill it so she doesn't die. The whole "Balance" is just a lie to keep us sharp and strong so whatever comes can die quickly. Afterwards, she will put us back in our ziplock containers untill next time. Gotta keep those blades and guns fresh, rust free, and accurate.

What danger?

Because they're scared of us. Because they want us dead. The Twin Queens have some backstory that's slowly being revealed, and they're tied to the Orokin Empire.

Who better to understand "the Tenno are dangerous, they MUST be crushed before they can ever wake up" than a pair who saw them in action so long ago?

That doesn't explain why they're coming after us now specifically. If we're asleep until they try to kill us, why not leave us be and thus not risk waking us up?

Good. She betrayed her own people because she came to love us as children she could never have.

She's on our side. Truly and forever. Let the talk of her being evil be silenced.

I'm in that state of feeling right now, where I've heard the big stuff, but don't know the minor yet important details, and I don't like it... I brought this on myself, but still, damn it.

Or she decided that we are of use to her and decided to NOT let such good weapons just die off? The whole "children" thing could just be her way of coping that she caused her people to be wiped out, but still she uses us to kill off her enemies.

We were an assignment, but we became her children... Kind of like the Noah + Claire Bennett relationship on Heroes, she was given to him as an assignment, but he eventually cared for her as his daughter more than anything, willing to go against the Company, that gave her to him :P (I just started watching that show a few weeks ago, so the references are fresh)

I could be totally wrong, I only know a little bit of the details...

That doesn't explain why they're coming after us now specifically. If we're asleep until they try to kill us, why not leave us be and thus not risk waking us up?

If the monster in your closet was sleeping, the monster that had attacked and killed everyone you loved, and you had the power to kill it, stop it from ever coming after you and what you managed to rebuild again, would you not do so?

Fear. Fear is all the drive and answer that is needed; the Queens fear us, fear what our awakening might mean for their Empire - just as it meant for the Empire before them - and so they, as the Tutorial states, can see to it "that the Tenno, hidden and asleep, will never awaken."

If the monster in your closet was sleeping, the monster that had attacked and killed everyone you loved, and you had the power to kill it, stop it from ever coming after you and what you managed to rebuild again, would you not do so?

Fear. Fear is all the drive and answer that is needed; the Queens fear us, fear what our awakening might mean for their Empire - just as it meant for the Empire before them - and so they, as the Tutorial states, can see to it "that the Tenno, hidden and asleep, will never awaken."

What drove them to think they could kill us is my question. Presumably they knew the Lotus existed and would wake us up if we were attacked. They must have developed something to give them the confidence to venture out and take us by surprise.

People are afraid of things they don't understand. 

What drove them to think they could kill us is my question. Presumably they knew the Lotus existed and would wake us up if we were attacked. They must have developed something to give them the confidence to venture out and take us by surprise.

Because we were sleeping. We were vulnerable. Defenseless.

And they had an army. Resources. Firepower. They'd conquered most of the known galaxy - had the Corpus on a short leash, all but enslaved. The odds were seemingly in their favor.

Is that the reason why vor was demoted by the queens? Vor wants to acknowledge to tenno. The queens dont.

I'm now kinda feeling bad for vor... kinda

It sounds like a solid reason.

I don't feel bad for Vor, though. He was just a monster of a different type.

Because we were sleeping. We were vulnerable. Defenseless.

And they had an army. Resources. Firepower. They'd conquered most of the known galaxy - had the Corpus on a short leash, all but enslaved. The odds were seemingly in their favor.

It sounds like a solid reason.

I don't feel bad for Vor, though. He was just a monster of a different type.

Why now, though? Why not earlier? Unless the time passed between when we went to sleep and when we awoke wasn't as long as we were originally led to believe.

Why now, though? Why not earlier? Unless the time passed between when we went to sleep and when we awoke wasn't as long as we were originally led to believe.

"hidden"

It took time to find us, to uncover us. And even before that it took time to build their empire, consolidate their power, reach a point where they felt strong enough to take us on.

These things take time. There's no quick way to go about it - you can go in, guns blazing, but all that will do is send you out in a blaze of glory.

If you want to truly be successful you wait, plan, focus, plot and figure out the fine details. Sadly, Murphey's Law is a thing.

Edited by Morec0

I have a feeling that Lotus woke us up because Vor and others were meddling with frozen Tenno. She could not allow us to be hurt, and so she started waking people up as Corpus/Grineer started trying to steal the frozen Tenno to experiment on them. 

Once she had woken up the Tenno she had to do something, but she realized from her own past, that just destroying everything doesn't really help all that much, it just leaves a power vacuum and allows for groups like the Grineer to rise. Also, she knows that Tenno are most definitely warriors and not really politicians. So, once we were awake for our own protection, we had to do something, we are warriors. We cannot sit idle. So she had us balance out the Grinner and Corpus, and fight off the infestation. 

Also we were frozen because she was trying to hide us. From other sentients I guess? Perhaps we will find out in the next update, because the sentients are going to be actual enemies before too long. There must have been some sentients that were enough of a threat to us that weren't really under her control. In fact, it sounds like her control over them was rather tenuous at best. It sounds like to stop the sentients under her command from trying to eradicate us, she had to trick them into thinking we were destroyed. Now, they might rewaken soon and she is worried because they will come for her and for us now. Here to take her back and come after us to finish the job they started so long ago. 

It really makes sense in my opinion. The sentients were purging the sol system, and she was only able to put them temporarily to sleep and "entomb" them, after she had convinced them we were "dead" by freezing all of us. This wasn't to keep us from doing anything, it was because it was a way that wouldn't show our vital signs and we could be easily hidden away. 

Edited by Tesseract7777