Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Open Letter/discussion About The New Movement...

illumi

I do not understand the appeal of coptering.

It looks weird, requires certain melee weapons that you absolutely must have, flings you across tiles the devs designed to contain brutal gunfights, and requires little to no skill to actually use.

I mean, I don't have my hands on something that can run Warframe right now, but I think I can deduce the intent here. The plan was never to let you go as fast as before in as many buttons - that would do nothing. The plan was to give you more control over the places you could go at the cost of supersaiyansanic speed in a few buttons. Now, if you wanna go that fast you need to wall hop and bullet jump and aimglide your way there.

I thiink you're ignoring the fact that as long as you are bouncing and roaming aroun enemies cannot hit you. It is a much needed skill for the squishier frames. You can get to many area you could not before, and I recommend turning toggle sprint on to ease the tedium.

While I am pressing the ctrl aand space keys a lot too i don't have to mash them as much unless i am in a tight situation with heavy units lugging missiles and whatnot. I recommend running the training course to experiment and smooth out the wrinkles before applying it to the normal game and taking time to find out where certain moves work best in the tilesets. You can move much faster than before, really. You need only use the terrain instead of just using bullet jump. Parkour 2.0 is suppose to replace coptering, not just bulletjump.

I hope this helps.

Sure but the majority liked it, including me. It could have peacefully existed along with the new system, being toggleable from the options....

No it wouldnt.

As a player who coptered and didnt like it, I will tell you the main issue: I couldnt use the melees I wanted.

The main issue DE had was the fact that most players were using copter-type weapons and neglecting the others in favor of those that would fling them from one end of the map to the next.

All I see from those who loved coptering is the talk about speed and finishing the mission as fast as possible, where is the fun in that? I mean, sure people have tastes, but what about the others?

I like to use the heavy weapons the most, a Galatine with Tempo Royale, or a Jat Kittag with Crushing Ruin but when I played with people who copter in an "Go to Objective X and Extract" or "Exterminate everything" I couldnt use them because I would be left behind, kill nothing and would have them complain that I'm slow while they sit at Extract (Yes, it happened many times).

Which is a thing Parkour 2.0 changed: I can now use the melees I want without problem.

While you guys who loved coptering might find the game slower, you cant deny that it is more refined, better looking, makes sense (flinging oneself from one end of the map to the other because of the weapon you use didnt) and allows us to use more melees than just the Typedo or the Bo Prime.

If it was a toggleable option, the new system would have been for nothing because in order to keep up with the flingers we would be forced to toggle the old system on and we would be back to square one of only using specific melees.

Play around with the new system and use some melees you rarely used to actually fight your enemies, I believe you will feel refreshed.

Edited by Kao-Snake

Copter can go, but please bring back air melee dash.

Air melee dash is more simple, easy, and a lot cooler than bullet jump. Even heavy weapons got momentum when air melee dashing.

jump+aim+quick melee vs jump+aim+ctrl+space, even my grandma know which one more easy to use. :)

(Warning: the following post is pretty dumb. And long. If I could put a signature at the top of my posts, it would be that.)

To be able to move around quickly and damage enemies while flying past them (fast twitch muscle movements) was rewarding and it's something we as players have just lost from Warframe. For example, fast twitch gameplay is a play style prominent in Tribes Ascend and Counterstrike. There have been some other instances of software change in the past which has broken user workflow and had positive developments come of it (for example: Windows 7 -> Windows 8 -> Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 is an example of "where'd my start menu go?!").

I feel like this makes the point very well. My argument is that it's like if Quake lost its iconic "strafejumping". The unique - albeit unintended - functionality of that game's movement system practically defines it, and makes it really fast paced and entertaining. Quake's movement (and, y'know, map design, pickup system, snowball balance, etc.) make it a distinct experience, and without those aspects it would be pretty boring and generic.

Ripping the unique (although not intended) movement mechanics that made Warframe interesting has had that exact effect. It feels sluggish, clunky, boring, and generic, and doesn't feel remotely as dependent on skill or timing - not that it was very intensive in the first place, really, but how low does DE intend to push the skill ceiling?

Saying "Instead of only some people being able to go fast, let's make NOBODY able to go fast" is not cool. If you wanted to copter, you had limited weapon choices. That is the sacrifice you make to go fast. Just like if you wanted high sprint speed, you have to choose between Loki, Rhino, or I guess Ash. Or if you want to blow things up, Ogris or Penta. Your choice. Just as you can't expect a Braton to explode things, or a Frost to move faster than 3 mph, you wouldn't take a Fragor and expect to achieve Mach 2 with it. But now, it's been streamlined to completely eliminate that option and declare a state of slowdown upon all Tenno.

The removal of Stamina is the only real positive change to come with this movement system - and even then I'd argue that stamina had its place, but we just never had enough of it, or it didn't refill fast enough, so it became a nuisance. It's been a while since I've played Warframe, and I'm not too pleased with the changes as of late. It seems like it really went downhill from Update 14 onward, ever since they ripped out the old UI and replaced it with the nonsense we have now.

Now, the old mobility system was pretty dumb, and pretty dependent on a small handful of maneuvers to get around the map. But you know what? It was fast, and for the most part it worked. The new mobility system is equally stupid for different reasons, but now we CAN'T go fast. Or accomplish even a fraction of what was once possible, really. (except wall-climb infinitely... come on guys, I thought we were past this. First it was a bug, then you axed it, now it's a feature? WTF?) I hope Warframe doesn't progress further down this slower-paced gameplay mentality. What's next, a cover system? The thing the DEvs specifically spoke out against in early development? Maybe, maybe not. We'll see what comes.

Am I implying that Movement 1.0 wasn't kinda silly? No. Am I saying that I know what the best fix is? Hell no. Am I saying that Movement 2.0 is stupid? Hell yes.

Edited by Kappatalist

I'm sorry but those holding on to coptering do it out of their comfort zone being tiny which is quite natural. People overall will fight change with all their might without noticing. It's a very interesting thing that happens naturally! You'll be all right soon. Or end up leaving the game. Either way you'll get a solution soon!

After further use in game, my settled verdict is that Parkour 2.0 is great fun and fluid to use in combat.

When moving from combat to combat, it's definitely slower than the fastest coptering was, but it's about the same as your average coptering was.

i.e. if you used a melee weapon that wasn't the fastest at coptering just because you jolly well wanted to use that weapon, you'll find the average movement speed about the same, but with more control and fluidity; on the other hand, if you chose your melee weapon specifically for coptering speed, and invested some effort into getting the fastest speed, then yes you'll be disappointed.

The other negative is that the wall hopping just doesn't look as cool as the old wallrunning.  However, it has more utility on the whole, except perhaps for people who had invested a lot of effort into practicing with the system as it was.

So on the whole, a net positive, and probably a net positive for most of the playerbase, but not without some drawbacks, and some serious drawbacks for some significant minority of players.

faster-paced? the movement feel sluggish and slow ._.

feels doesnt mean is. The difference is that you cant clip objects and move like a scoobydoo character in place for a moment and zoom off like some stupi upright bird. Coptering had to go, you can't go THAT fast anymore but in return you have a much better system that is still very fast. These movements are designed, fluid, and work well, coptering and such were bugs, issues in the design, not meant to be there. 

The "suspension field", i.e. the hold-aim-to-glide is actually surprisingly useful. Try bullet jumping forwards, holding down the glide key then bullet jumping again midair and holding down the glide key. 

The glide allows you to retain all of your momentum as long as it's active, and in fact you can direct it with the W, A and S keys (D doesn't do anything). 

If you're using your melee weapon, it doesn't cause the zoom and it is in fact a very practical form of flight, especially for Zephyr. 

If anything the new parkour system allows me to move even further across the map while having my favorite melee weapon. I can completely jump from on end of any of the Sechura maps to the other. Playing as Volt makes the new system even better than coptering. The direction and control is amazing and allows me to do exactly what I'm trying to do rather than getting stuck on a walling or on the edge of a platform. I honestly like the new wall hopping a lot and I can reach places I never would have been able to before. Also I'm glad that stamina is gone, it brought more tedium than difficulty.

Edited by Blaqsailens

Jumping across whole rooms with a single jump was silly

-snip-

And right now we don't have to equip a certain melee weapon just to be fast. This is way better.

Parkour 2.0 shows one thing atm: the big gap between people that used to copter and people that did not.

For the people that used to copter its like being forced to drive 50kph while they were driving 100kph so far.

And for those that didn't copter its an increasment from 30 kph to 50 kph.

For the coptering community this is a slow down that throws them totaly off balance. For them it is sluggish as hell.

For those who never used coptering it seems "fast paced" while it is not.

These three all make valid points, and here are my two cents.

The new movement system is different. Yeah, it feels weird not being able to use the air-directional-melee as well as coptering. However, I feel that we needed a limit on how much distance we could cover in a short amount of time.

Air melee is awful atm, so that needs to get looked at for sure. Also, the bullet jumping is a bit cumbersome with a gamepad. There should be an alternate way to trigger the bullet jump because having to click my Left Stick down before quickly pressing the Jump Button isn't very intuitive in my opinion.

I'm sure the movement will be tweaked with valid, constructive feedback, but we do not need coptering back in any way, shape, or form.

I like the new movement system, so I hope DE doesn't make any radical changes due to toxic feedback from angry players that miss coptering. Keep at the new movement system, and you may find that it isn't as bad as you intially thought.