Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sprinting In Parkour 2.0 - Forgotten?

Draciusen

Alright, so let's just go into a quick analysis of the old system vs new system. You can skip down to the suggestion if you don't care; but it might mention some things I address here:

OLD SYSTEM TOOLS:

*Coptering (Forward + Sprint + Crouch + Melee): Incredible forward momentum, hard to execute, purely horizontal and just flung you straight forward at the speed of light whether you were in the air or on the ground.

*Directional Melee (Mid-air + Melee): Decent forward momentum, easiest to execute, and was much more versatile in terms of direction and control, but limited to air.

*Front Flip (Forward + Sprint + Crouch + Jump): Strong forward momentum, easier to execute, and provided minor vertical movement. If coptering was a slingshot then this was the catapult equivalent, limited to ground only.

*Wallrun fling (Hold jump next to wall + release really fast): It's exactly like coptering, but more situational

None of these comboed into each other; they were just individual combinations built around momentum and game quirks to provide instant mobility in a certain direction. Very very simple in concept, executing these consistently takes some practice however.

NEW SYSTEM TOOLS:

*Bullet Jump (Crouch + Jump): Instantly dashes to your cursor. Notice that it's a dash and not a fling, there is near-zero momentum involved, and once the dash part is over you slowly float down

*Double Jump (Mid-air + Jump): It's a jump. In mid-air. Also zero momentum, once the hop is finished you fall down instantly.

*Aim Glide (Mid-air + Aim): Reduces your vertical momentum, allowing you to stay airborne for longer; but not providing any additional mobility horizontally or vertically. Makes you feel like you can move forward faster, but in reality you can only move forward longer in the air.

*Wallrun (Hold Jump near wall)- Sustained forward movement both vertically and horizontally at a slow pace. Momentum is also removed from the old wallrun.

*Wall Latch (Press Aim near wall) - Instantly kills any and all movement, and has your Warframe stick to the nearest vertical surface.

Well, gone are the chaotic and hard-to-control momentum mechanics of the old system, replaced with the more conservative and simple mechanics of the new one. Focusing on precision and sustained movement rather than crazy bursts of speed.

In all aspects, Parkour 2.0 is superior for moving around the tile, making it both easier and simpler to access previously untouched areas of the map while looking less silly as well. However, as for making it faster to move; it's fallen flat on its face. The new system, while smooth and stylish; just doesn't get you where you need to go in a reasonable time. You'll look good while doing it; but by that time your friend's probably dead and the life support ran out.

*Perhaps I was exaggerating about how slow it was; but it's undeniably slower than what coptering was, and simply spamming a single maneuver over and over is exactly what coptering used to be.

And one untouched thing throughout the entire Parkour 2.0 rework was sprint. In the old system it was gated by stamina that was constantly being consumed through coptering and melee, and was really only ever used in conjunction with abilities that made it incredibly fast (Speed/Jet Stream) or to perform the maneuvers actually used for mobility.

Parkour 2.0 has done away with the complex key combinations required to perform maneuvers, and our poor sprint key is left in the dust. But wait! Stamina is removed! There is no reason to ever turn off sprint. It doesn't interfere with any of the maneuvers, and it's a free movement speed bonus.

THE SUGGESTION FOR SPRINT:

Make it a real sprint. A hefty forward movement speed bonus (think Rush + Loki) at the cost of turn-rate (aka the ability to turn quickly). Can be alleviated with the slide for some sick Tokyo Drift moves, or you can continue to bash your head into the wall.

Solves the issue of forward mobility in the new parkour system (bullet jump is the only thing that moves you forward, and it's kind of bad at it), and it makes perfect sense. Why the hell would you be jumping and gliding all over the map banging on doors and humping walls to get to a certain place when you really should be sprinting through it?

How it works:

-Hold down sprint and your Warframe begins speeding up and reaching a sprinting pace.

-Faster frames like Loki and Ash can reach max speeds near instantly, while Frost and Saryn may take a little longer to get going.

-Performing parkour maneuvers prior to sprinting also decreases the wind-up time, so pretty much everything can chain into a quick sprint.

-Everybody eventually reaches the same speed, so they're balanced by acceleration. This is so that slow frames can travel as fast as anybody else can so you're not gonna have somebody permanently lagging behind

-You will become immune to staggers (Infested Crewman/Rollers); but not knockdowns/grapples. If you successfully block the latter with a melee weapon while sprinting though, it won't break.

-Firing/charging primary weapons (exception of bows) will break the sprint

-Firing/charging secondary weapons or switching weapons will not break the sprint

-Using a melee attack while sprinting on the ground will allow you to perform a dashing attack, providing a decent burst of forward momentum and breaking your sprint.

*The recovery for this coupled with the speed of sprint will make it inefficient to simply spam this for movement

*Attempting this mid-air will simply perform a directional melee attack and break your sprint when you land.

Looks complicated, but basically it turns sprint into a full on charge that you use when you really need to get somewhere fast and don't need much finesse. Give it some synergy with basic Warframe actions but not required in any fancy maneuvers and you've got another great mobility tool.

EXTRA THING DE SHOULD FIX REGARDING COMBOS:

You can Double Jump after a Bullet Jump

You can't Bullet Jump after a Double Jump

You can't Double Jump after a mid-air Bullet Jump

You can't Double Jump after a Bullet Jump with Aim Glide (Likely due to above)

Bullet Jumping in the middle of an Aim Glide has you re-press the aim button to continue gliding, not very cash money of DE to do that.

Edited by Draciusen

I am...much faster with bullet jump than with Coptering. But thats just me since ppl seem to fail to grasp how to properly use it.

Have to admit sprinting should be faster and I dont like how we have to repress the sprint button after every motion. Not sure if thats intented or a bug.

EXTRA THING DE SHOULD FIX REGARDING COMBOS:

You can't Bullet Jump after a Double Jump

You can't Double Jump after a mid-air Bullet Jump

You can't Double Jump after a Bullet Jump with Aim Glide (Likely due to above)

I am pretty sure this is intended. It is pretty intuitive that you only get one "charge" to jump in mid air and it is your choice if it's a simple double jump or a bulletjump instead of that. Feels good to me at least when I play it.

Just to add to your post, I think the double jump mechanic doesnt give enough lift. The height gained is almost insubstantial and it makes it look very gimmicky, its as though the animation is just there to suspend you in the air for a miniscule amount of time without gaining much forward or upward momentum.

Just to add to your post, I think the double jump mechanic doesnt give enough lift. The height gained is almost insubstantial and it makes it look very gimmicky, its as though the animation is just there to suspend you in the air for a miniscule amount of time without gaining much forward or upward momentum.

maybe it's there for small direction changes? to get a better control in mid air. If you want momentum you can do a bulletjump instead.

Not sure if you have been playing parkour 2.0 right mate, but if you bullet jump then press crouch and bullet jump again you can basically string consecutive jumps together and go super fast, it also does carry momentum.. apparently nobody notices it, but if you string bullet jumps, air glides and rolls together you can gain insane speed -3-

And this stuff about being able to bullet jump after a double jump? Doesnt that just kill the whole existence of a second jump.. you are basically asking for infinite amounts of jumping.. :c

I much prefer parkour 2.0.. if you master it youll find it so easy to get places fast.

Not sure if you have been playing parkour 2.0 right mate, but if you bullet jump then press crouch and bullet jump again you can basically string consecutive jumps together and go super fast, it also does carry momentum.. apparently nobody notices it, but if you string bullet jumps, air glides and rolls together you can gain insane speed -3-

And this stuff about being able to bullet jump after a double jump? Doesnt that just kill the whole existence of a second jump.. you are basically asking for infinite amounts of jumping.. :c

I much prefer parkour 2.0.. if you master it youll find it so easy to get places fast.

While it might get you places fast; it's essentially the same button mashing combo that was there for coptering; just toned down enough to not kill your hands.

Instead of whizzing blurs moving past the sound barrier slamming into walls you have gently spinning Tenno swirling their way across the map. It's not as fast and crazy as coptering, but it's still kind of silly looking and also occasionally results in the banging-a-door because of how floaty it is and how cramped many of the tiles still are.

Wouldn't it make more sense to sprint when you need to travel fast; and save the fancy jumps and glides for when there's tricky paths? Sorry, but bullet jumping in the tight corridors of a Corpus ship shouldn't be the default travel option.

I'm not saying that Parkour 2.0 is bad at all; I love it. But seeing how there's still potential for smoother and sensible options (sprint) for certain methods of travel (AKA on the ground); coupled with its current pointlessness (never should have it off, but gotta keep it on all the time); why not improve?

Edited by Draciusen

On the suggestion for sprint: convert rush into a +turn rate mod.

Besides that, all I can say is I've been enjoying parkour 2.0.  I was under the impression we could wall run at any angle, but so far it only seems like completely vertical or completely horizontal.  A little disappointing, but nothing I can't adjust to.

While it might get you places fast; it's essentially the same button mashing combo that was there for coptering; just toned down enough to not kill your hands.

Instead of whizzing blurs moving past the sound barrier slamming into walls you have gently spinning Tenno swirling their way across the map. It's not as fast and crazy as coptering, but it's still kind of silly looking and also occasionally results in the banging-a-door because of how floaty it is and how cramped many of the tiles still are.

Wouldn't it make more sense to sprint when you need to travel fast; and save the fancy jumps and glides for when there's tricky paths? Sorry, but bullet jumping in the tight corridors of a Corpus ship shouldn't be the default travel option.

I'm not saying that Parkour 2.0 is bad at all; I love it. But seeing how there's still potential for smoother and sensible options (sprint) for certain methods of travel (AKA on the ground); coupled with its current pointlessness (never should have it off, but gotta keep it on all the time); why not improve?

I agree with your sprinting ideas, i was suggesting something very similar for a long time in the big ! parkour thread of mine. I will definitively add something if I create a thread for the 2.0 version. But for now I am just happy to see people swirling and jumping around after living for so long with everyone swinging their damn tipedos or whatever the meta was.

Edited by Aure7

maybe it's there for small direction changes? to get a better control in mid air. If you want momentum you can do a bulletjump instead.

That is true, but you gain very little distance from it. I dont see much practical use in being able to change direction with this. Bullet jump would be more effective. Although I am unsure if there are any mods that affect it. If so, then it might prove useful in some cases.

Yeah, that's not the worst of it, I have a usb controller because it's quicker for me, and I used to be able to sprint and use RB for ability menu and select it while sprinting, now I will be in the heat of battle and have to stop to select an ability, like *Holds up finger to enemy* "One sec......okay there we go, you can attack me now".  It was working fine and now I have to stop everything to use ability, I tried to wallrun on a spy mission and hippity-hopped into a laser grid, and last but not least, I was doing an Archwing mission and the enemies fired missiles at me, I went to barrel roll out of the way and GUESS WHAT  :D   I no more barrel roll so I had to sit there and take it up the b-hole.   <.<

Edited by Guest

I like the ideas. But just to add:

+1 on buffing the double jump height.

Wait, why can you sprint shoot with bows but not guns? That's... weird, considering drawing a bow while at a dead run sounds harder than pulling a trigger. Maybe regular fire with accuracy lowered or higher spread/recoil for primaries, no debuff for secondaries?

Possibly make current sprint speed the default for warframes. Whether by making them autojog or by increasing base speed.