The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Increase Melee-Blocking Damage Reduction

H.Katsura_999

Ok U17 is great and all, we got buffs, new toys, new lore, and fixes but what really bothers me is how DE redefined blocking.

I don't know the numbers myself on how big of a damage reduction blocking does but can you please increase it? to like 95%? 

I run Valkyr with a reflex guard mod to help me on that constant health loss when under fire but the new blocking mechanic is absolutely horrid.

Even with blocking on, grunts where shredding me to pieces. It was a T2 exterminate and i was testing the new shotgun buff when suddenly this gunner came up and unloaded a clip on me but to my surprise, even though reflex guard was working, my health was getting ripped apart and I was bleeding like hell.

I don't know what DE meant by damage reduction but blocking right now is so not viable.

Even with channeling enemies would just eat through your energy, then kill you. You have better luck hitting 4 rather than waste energy blocking a few bullets.

Even Excalibur is suffering from this new mechanic. Exalted Blade will not protect you at all now. If a gunner points his gorgon at you, you better darn well hit that 2 or you're dead.

Again, please consider increasing the blocking damage reduction.

Thanks.

This is rather funny.

I did voice a minor complaint that it was not going to be viable for higher level content.

Regardless, they don't have to increase blocking. You just need to dodge. Dodge rolling I'm quite sure has a significant amount of damage reduction and it makes the enemies more inaccurate, as they attempt to over compensate for you movement. Chain dodge rolls, and you'll be fine.

The type of melee you use changes the amount of damage reduction is applied. If you're using a small dagger you will of course have a low damage reduction. Try out some of the larger swords, hammers or even use the sword and shield to get a better reduction.

You are saying you want 95% but that would be absurd, having a large damage reduction takes away a lot of the movement that you can apply to not get hit.

Update 17 is only out for a day now, just get used to it and try out some of the other weapons.

well since enemies have like a sort of aimbot on their guns, +1 to this, increase block damage reduction and also if possible, increase the damage reflect when blocking, cause seriously, deflecting between 1-8 damage per bullet? LOL

The type of melee you use changes the amount of damage reduction is applied. If you're using a small dagger you will of course have a low damage reduction. Try out some of the larger swords, hammers or even use the sword and shield to get a better reduction.

You are saying you want 95% but that would be absurd, having a large damage reduction takes away a lot of the movement that you can apply to not get hit.

Update 17 is only out for a day now, just get used to it and try out some of the other weapons.

I run her with scindo prime. I can't find any numbers on damage reduction based on melee weapons. If anyone can offer any then that would be great.

95% does sound absurd but the bullet was deflected, why would you get damaged anyway. 

If DE thinks this is a part of what they want to happen to blocking then yeah i will have to change my build because im currently wasting a slot on reflex guard. but I was hoping that it was an unforeseen consequence and that downgrading the blocking mechanic was not intentional.  

Edited by H.Katsura_999

Dodging hitscan projectiles... Sure, sure...

The facepalm is strong in this one thread.

The level of idiocy you can find in these forums sometimes...

Just use hard cover. It still works. Parkour 2.0 is just for kicks, not for actual combat vs high level enemies. Aimbots with Godly reflexes and a weapon accuracy scaling that is just as broken as the other scalings the AI uses unfortunately don't give 2 sh!ts about rolling and hopping around.

Hey it still looks cool though. And it kinda works at low-to-mid levels. You know, where it's kinda pointless because you don't need it?^^'

Edited by Marthrym

This is rather funny.

I did voice a minor complaint that it was not going to be viable for higher level content.

Regardless, they don't have to increase blocking. You just need to dodge. Dodge rolling I'm quite sure has a significant amount of damage reduction and it makes the enemies more inaccurate, as they attempt to over compensate for you movement. Chain dodge rolls, and you'll be fine.

Sure i still doge of course but what happens to blocking then? Before U17 with reflex guard it was a life saver, now they nerfed it bad.

It just kinda off balanced my play style. I play heavily on melee because i can get up close while blocking, now it kinda is pointless as y ou will get killed if you banzai charge an enemy with a rifle.

Oh no I have to dodge bullets now instead of holding block.

Please DE, if you're reading this... save the kittens.

its not that, but blocking in general. I still roll if there are enemies from behind or to the side. but the new blocking is pretty much a waste of good potential.

It will not save you and also discourages using it. The benefits it now offers are far lesser than before. 

Just use hard cover. It still works. Parkour 2.0 is just for kicks, not for actual combat vs high level enemies. Aimbots with Godly reflexes and a weapon accuracy scaling that is just as broken as the other scalings the AI uses unfortunately don't give 2 sh!ts about rolling and hopping around.

Hey it still looks cool though. And it kinda works at low-to-mid levels. You know, where it's kinda pointless because you don't need it?^^'

They added inaccuracy to the enemies when on the move. If you had ever used parkour in the first place, maybe you would've noticed that while wall running, Heavy Gunners can barely ever hit you.

Or maybe you could see then when you dodge roll, enemies will shoot the floor around you, occasionally hitting you.

Or that when you use certain abilities, like Slash Dash, they can't hit you, and if they do, it's most likely because you're dashing into an enemy head on.

So no, there is no level of idiocy currently, it's a thing. Even if it doesn't always work, it does exist, so you can dodge.

Sure i still doge of course but what happens to blocking then? Before U17 with reflex guard it was a life saver, now they nerfed it bad.

It just kinda off balanced my play style. I play heavily on melee because i can get up close while blocking, now it kinda is pointless as y ou will get killed if you banzai charge an enemy with a rifle.

Blocking is being phased out and killed because DE wants you to focus more on skill to save you instead of standing there with, essentially, deployable cover.

Melee was never really for high level combat, DE will never change; they'll discourage power spamming whilst making it one of the more viable playstyles in the game, nerfing all the things that could've stood up to it. What can you do?

They added inaccuracy to the enemies when on the move. If you had ever used parkour in the first place, maybe you would've noticed that while wall running, Heavy Gunners can barely ever hit you.

Or maybe you could see then when you dodge roll, enemies will shoot the floor around you, occasionally hitting you.

Or that when you use certain abilities, like Slash Dash, they can't hit you, and if they do, it's most likely because you're dashing into an enemy head on.

So no, there is no level of idiocy currently, it's a thing. Even if it doesn't always work, it does exist, so you can dodge.

Again, its about what happens to blocking now, I know about the inaccuracy buffs if you move from side to side or roll but that is not the issue.

The issue is if DE really wants blocking to work like this. Where it can barely protect you.

Blocking is being phased out and killed because DE wants you to focus more on skill to save you instead of standing there with, essentially, deployable cover.

Melee was never really for high level combat, DE will never change; they'll discourage power spamming whilst making it one of the more viable playstyles in the game, nerfing all the things that could've stood up to it. What can you do?

Well thats you opinion and I can respect that, but don't put words on DE's mouth.

Well thats you opinion and I can respect that, but don't put words on DE's mouth.

It's not what they say, it's what they're doing that's speaking.

Blocking was just killed, and made much more difficult to perform optimally at higher level content, so now, the old tactics are going to be referred to unless it's fixed or otherwise.

The second half, however, is true. They have openly discouraged power spamming and said they they discourage power spamming, and have nerfed spammable powers. I.E radial Javelin having only twelve targets, being almost completely LoS, and essentially being reverted back to the old Radial Javelin. Except it sometimes hits enemies behind walls.

But, they also nerf all of the other viable playstyles until it's less viable than taking a spam frame into a game.

Yeah, because blocking should be useless right? If I go through the hassle to use my melee as a primary then I deserve a working and useful blocking system.

Doing some rough testing/recording in game and comparing frame to frame against Level 15 Elite Lancer on Janus/Saturn with my Ash Prime. Galatine/Scindo appear to have ~75% reduction (7->2), Jaw Sword at ~60% (7->3), while the Obex has ~30% reduction (7->5). All drain energy through Channelblocking at the same rate.

It seems, in this update, use heavy weapons. You're hosing yourself if you don't. Going to see how Dual weapons fare.

Kind of sucks because Obex is my jam.

Dual Ether: 7->3

Dual Fang: 7->5

Dark Dagger: 7->5

Dual Weapons don't seem to block any more than their single weapon counterparts. The only thing that matters is the size of the weapon.

I don't have a Sword and Shield to test on but I'd have to assume they're in the Heavy weapon categories. I'm also going to guess that my results are skewed thanks to the low incoming damage and rounding, and that if I were to repeat the tests with higher incoming damage, there would probably be three distinct tiers (Heavy 75%, Medium 50%, Light 25%), but I can't be sure yet.

Edited by ShogunGunshow

Have you tried dodging an elite corpus crewman when it spawns behind you at the very end of an exterminate mission at level 30-40? you don't live. ever. TTK is < 1 second even with extreme high end valkyr tank build.

Melee blocking should be 100%. End of discussion.

Melee blocking in U17 is useless than ever before in Warframe history

Hell stamina with quick rest + marathon worked infinitely better than this junk

Dodge? Did you guys even tried melee only at T4 void after patch? Yea go back to your shooting

Edited by Acidulant

Marth, you have my respect. And 20 dollars. Don't ask me why I gave you 20 dollars just know that it is yours now.

This... is something I really hate seeing anytime there's a topic concerning blocking and just how bad it is.

"Blocking not working out for you? Too bad you wuss try dodging like us pros do."

If someone complains that Blocking never works out for them, ever, and your only answer is to NOT BLOCK ANYMORE, that doesn't (just) mean that Blocking is the wrong answer. It (also) means THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH BLOCKING MECHANICS.

Blocking is in the game. There's nothing you can do about that. It was added to be a tool INTENDED for Tenno to use. If blocking is so god awful that you can't ever use it ever then there is no point to having it. Either remove it, or improve it. Don't sit there and deny that there's something wrong with it like some smug a-hole just because "you have other options".

God, how stupid is that?

Edited by Soldatto

You are wrong there. The weapons that should have highest block are shields and yet sword and shield blocks almost nothing. 

To all those dodging fanatics, great guys, but where is your far sight to the usefulness of existing mods such a reflex guard and reflection. Like DE you seem to have a very narrow view on things and base your decisions on that but your solution lacks quality in the end. Getting rid of stamina and not adjusting certain mods/skills/tools is simply lazy.

You are wrong there. The weapons that should have highest block are shields and yet sword and shield blocks almost nothing. 

To all those dodging fanatics, great guys, but where is your far sight to the usefulness of existing mods such a reflex guard and reflection. Like DE you seem to have a very narrow view on things and base your decisions on that but your solution lacks quality in the end. Getting rid of stamina and not adjusting certain mods/skills/tools is simply lazy.

Reflection does stack with innate channeled blocking....but it sounds like it is draining far too much energu to utilize innate reflection via Channeled Blocking