The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

easter/western armor designs.

Demonocolips

The Tenno are badass-looking mofos.

Their design is a breath of fresh air for the industry, if you ask me.

Sure, we will get heavier Warframes along the way, along with others of all shapes and sizes, because diversity is what keeps a f2p game alive, above all else.

Edited by MadRabidDog

The Tenno are badass-looking mofos.

Their design is a breath of fresh air for the industry, if you ask me.

Sure, we will get heavier Warframes along the way, along with others of all shapes and sizes, because diversity is what keeps a f2p game alive, above all else.

I wouldn't exactly call them new.. just look at games that are in the Devil may Cry style of games and hell even most normal JRPGs have that organic mecha style to them. It's pretty common to see, just not in what's considered "Western AAA titles".

Going along with the theme of space ninjas, I think eastern-styled armor is perfect. Slow, tank-like classes don't really have a place in the fast paced action this game provides, don't you think?

I do agree with you to a point. Tank like classes should be in here but slow? Don't see why they would need to be slow. I'm guessing you've got some knowledge of Japansese gaming/anime culture from your other posts, isn't huge fast moving yet sleek mechs/characters/armours a pretty common thing? Do you think that adding two handers like say, claymore style weapons would be more suited to it rather than axes/hammers?

I think that in actual size terms they shouldn't be bigger then a Rhino however they definitely need more badass looking armour, because at the moment some look kind of boring.

I do agree with you to a point. Tank like classes should be in here but slow? Don't see why they would need to be slow. I'm guessing you've got some knowledge of Japansese gaming/anime culture from your other posts, isn't huge fast moving yet sleek mechs/characters/armours a pretty common thing? Do you think that adding two handers like say, claymore style weapons would be more suited to it rather than axes/hammers?

I think that in actual size terms they shouldn't be bigger then a Rhino however they definitely need more badass looking armour, because at the moment some look kind of boring.

That is true, and I agree that Rhino should be the max, or at least close to the max, when it comes to the size of the warframes. I meant more along the lines of heavy, massive armor that a distinguished medieval knight would wear in battle; it wouldn't really fit with the ongoing themes present on the game. Ultimately, the designs should look as if they are light and protective enough to jump-flip around like a ninja while wearing them, which I see more of on the eastern side as opposed to western.

In regards to claymores, it's the same principle. If they are something along the lines of an ōdachi or a nagamaki, or even a standard western style claymore at that, then they'd fit right in. However, if they're just two hundred pound slabs of steel with a rinky-dink handle on the bottom of them, then they'd probably fit better in a final fantasy game.

Although, we already have a battleaxe and a warhammer in the game now, so I guess my entire point is moot, huh.

That is true, and I agree that Rhino should be the max, or at least close to the max, when it comes to the size of the warframes. I meant more along the lines of heavy, massive armor that a distinguished medieval knight would wear in battle; it wouldn't really fit with the ongoing themes present on the game. Ultimately, the designs should look as if they are light and protective enough to jump-flip around like a ninja while wearing them, which I see more of on the eastern side as opposed to western.

In regards to claymores, it's the same principle. If they are something along the lines of an ōdachi or a nagamaki, or even a standard western style claymore at that, then they'd fit right in. However, if they're just two hundred pound slabs of steel with a rinky-dink handle on the bottom of them, then they'd probably fit better in a final fantasy game.

I'd like to stop you now very very quickly as you probably base your understand of a knight on popular culture from the nineties (which is changing quite strongly and quickly in the last five years, decade.

A knight in armour is able to do cartwheels and do handstands. The very heavy armour you saw before was generally either

a) milanese plate which was only used by mounted knights among the italian city states (and which spurned an evolution of the milanese crossbow and a lot of other weapons of war) which was essentially unused anywhere else though.

b) ceremonial plate, which was made to look nice and that was it

c) jousting plate which was built like a brick due to jousting.

As to weapons used by knights.

The longsword is longer, and just as heavy as a katana and was used in fencing far more. (as the crossguard, point and two cutting surfaces allowed it to be controlled a lot more).

The claymore|greatsword was generally used a bit later and probably isn't a very typical knightly weapon. It was a lot more common among mercenaries and the most common amongst the doppelsoldner (double pay mercenaries in translation).

But it was still an incredibly light weapon for it's size. I would not be surprised if it was lighter than the odachi or nagamaki and once more was also used in some kind of fencing techniques as well.

Take it this way - the historical samurai is a horse archer and spearman. The katana was not the most important weapon in their arsenal. The historical knights is a horseman and fencer in armour.

I actually wouldn't be suprised if a knight in western armour had more mobility than a samurai.

Edited by jnka

Knights in armor doing handstands?? You'd have trouble getting up again once knocked to the floor in full armor. And you wouldn't use a longsword for FENCING, come on!

Also, while samurai were orginally archers they eventually started carrying katanas as symbols of their stature as well as for combat. So for a big part of their history, the katana was their main weapon.

And just for fun, watch this katana cut ice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo

Knights in armor doing handstands?? You'd have trouble getting up again once knocked to the floor in full armor. And you wouldn't use a longsword for FENCING, come on!

Also, while samurai were orginally archers they eventually started carrying katanas as symbols of their stature as well as for combat. So for a big part of their history, the katana was their main weapon.

And just for fun, watch this katana cut ice!

There's not a correct fact to be found in this post.

It is a misconception that samurai are slow to begin with. Most of the samurai armors were made of leather to enhance the mobility and enable them to fight swiftly, while providing minimal protection. Out of them Rhino is the closest to being a samurai, but it is also a misconception that all ninjas were small and skinny.

How so? The katana became popular during the Muromachi period, by the Sengoku Jidai period it was their main weapon. It was also a symbol of their status, how is that not correct?

And how would you do a handstand in this?

http://www.ageofarmo...es/sigfront.jpg

The Katana was never a main weapon of battle, except when samurai had to cut down peasants. It couldn't penetrate armor well enough. It was a sidearm at most and usually just a symbol of the samurai's status. Samurai used bows and spears mostly. Katanas were used in (unarmored) duels between samurai, though.

Longswords were in fact used in fencing. They were the primary weapon used in duels for a good length of time before rapiers became popular.

The armor you posted is a ceremonial suit never intended to be used in battle. This is what knights would actually wear when fighting:

Edited by Sealgaire