Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Exactly Is 'falloff'?

Eldnacpeek

Question

I have never bothered educating myself in this particular topic (and I've been playing for a while) given that it's mostly related to shotguns (I have never been interested in them).

Can someone elaborate what falloff is? I assumed it was farther distance=less damage due to spread but that does not seem to be the case when reading the wiki page on Tainted Shell (-Spread, -Fire Rate), alongside the fact I heard Akbronco Prime and Detron do not have falloff:

43efda34f3172fe1c1fcaf5686e9399d.png

So it seems falloff damage is a thing of its own and either is or isn't related to spread but again, I don't know much. 

Edited by LazerSkink

5 answers to this question

Falloff is literally a damage reduction after a certain distance the shots travel.

Apparently they've changed it in u17 to 50% at max so basically

Your shotgun has 1000 damage @ close range (with 10 pellets = 100 dmg per pellet)

Damage falloff makes it deal 500 (50 per pellet) after a certain range threshold is passed.

Edited by (PS4)Dan_Aria

Falloff damage is, in most games, based on a per bullet basis. There's a maximum damage distance and a minimum damage distance, and between that the damage decreases linearly, usually.

So let's just say at 10m the bullet does max damage of 20 and 30m the bullet does min damage of 10. At 20m, the bullet would be doing 15 because it's -10 per 20m, so -1 damage per 2m, etc.

tighter spread means more pellets hits the target and retains some of its power over a longer distance than without the mod which makes the spread wid and less accurate at same distance. if you like spread and play in CQ style then this mod is not for you. if youre like me who likes when weapons acts like theyre supposed to in combat then youll love a max tainted shell on your shotgun.

The further a pellet travels, the more of a damage falloff you get, decreasing damage the further distance.

Spread is how much the pellets spread out radially, and falloff is distance.

^ this.

With that said- it was possible to deal absolute mediocre damage if u had a wide spread + shot enemies at distance (due to absurd falloff + not all pellets hitting)

I can't tell much in detail due to the fact that I'm on PS4 ;A; so no U17 changes.

Another thing: That mod detail about "adding this mod does not decrease falloff" means that even if u tighten the spread so all pellets hit while u're at distance it will still deal lowered damage if projectiles passed the distance threshold.

Edited by (PS4)Dan_Aria