Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chesa Kubrow: Hype Destroyed

RextintorZ

A bit late to the party man. Cobra and I were already discussing what Sheldon said about the Kubrows in Devstream 59. Please look at the post at the top of this page.

Yeah Ive been a bit busy making a irl installation piece of a grineer outpost to install somewhere local :D! But lol thanks xD

A bit late to the party man. Cobra and I were already discussing what Sheldon said about the Kubrows in Devstream 59. Please look at the post at the top of this page.

In all honesty, I think they do realize that every thing people said in this thread is true and Chesa Kubrow sucks. Because it really does.

But at the same time I have a good educated guess that they are dodging this morbid problem because they can't fix it. I don't think they aren't fixing it because they don't care, but rather unable to fix it due to lack of skill(or engine limitation) in AI scripting dept.

Edited by Acidulant

In all honesty, I think they do realize that every thing people said in this thread is true and Chesa Kubrow sucks. Because it really does.

But at the same time I have a good educated guess that they are dodging this morbid problem because they can't fix it. I don't think they aren't fixing it because they don't care, but rather unable to fix it due to lack of skill(or engine lmitation) in AI scripting dept.

My brother is a game designer and he was thinking of ways to re-work this issue so maybe i should send them his way Lol! My Brother codes alot of things @_@ and were both sadly out of work but hey if we come up with any ideas i'll let yall and the Devs know! 

Lol brilliant! 

That is not chesa's only problem though.

The AI pathing is really bad atm. Also many times i see my chesa running non-stop instead of walking leading to it getting stuck or running in circles because it cant make a proper turn around an obstacle.

Then the way the whole pickup mechanic is working is bad. it does exactly what all other companions do with abilities: it activates them.

For chesa that means: it will run past loot ignoring it because the ability is not triggered.

A fix would be that chesa's retrieve is active all the time. if it runs somewhere and there is loot on its way, it automatically picks it up with small vacuum and keeps it in its mouth while also actively looking for loot on the ground in a certain radius. after a certain amount of time passed or a number of items collected it should return to you and not lose the loot on the way back.

That and not getting stuck on every possible occasion would really improve chesa and make it even a competitor for carrier.

A fix would be that chesa's retrieve is active all the time. if it runs somewhere and there is loot on its way, it automatically picks it up with small vacuum and keeps it in its mouth while also actively looking for loot on the ground in a certain radius. after a certain amount of time passed or a number of items collected it should return to you and not lose the loot on the way back.

That and not getting stuck on every possible occasion would really improve chesa and make it even a competitor for carrier.

you mean this?

V

Didnt read all.

How about Chesa as a mobile carrier with higher base shields?

^it's a Kukbrow combined with a carrier which vacuum nearby mods/ammo/item as it pass by, whatever pickup is instantly given to player.

Hehe.

I rather not have that pack leader idea they came up with on the last devstream. As someone said before you need to hope other people in your party will be using a kubrow but guess what! A good amount of people think kubrows are pretty useless. ( I mean I don't blame them)  I would rather be able to use 2 kubrows. (with a quest or collar upgrade) This is  including all the other fixes like Ai fixes and the works.

Edited by Cookedtoast

What good would adding a pack consumable be when there are still major issues kubrows still have with AI? I can see it now, someone uses the consumable and all the kubrows go crazy, running wildly in place as they are stuck under a staircase. GG. 

It seems to me that the unaddressed issues with the Chesa, as several have said, probably comes down to either an unwillingness to take the time fixing the code or someone is not yet sure how to do it. Either way, I wish they would come out and say they do realize the pathing and AI has issues and let us know if there are any plans to fix it. 

your solution is similar and would sure work aswell.

Still the AI pathing needs fixing, for all kubrows.. but chesa really stands out bc of how it works.

How about, Make Chesa Kubrow to no-clip into obstacle but still follows the normal (floor) terrain?

And while at that, where Chesa is seem wondering around doing it's own business. There's should be a max distance from player to kubrow, exceeding this will instantly teleport kubrow back to player when the loot (4got the name) is active.

And While at this kubrow thingy, can we have a gear to revive dead kubrow/sentinels? (like frame' life which requires 1 to 3 days to craft?)

How about, Make Chesa Kubrow to no-clip into obstacle but still follows the normal (floor) terrain?

And while at that, where Chesa is seem wondering around doing it's own business. There's should be a max distance from player to kubrow, exceeding this will instantly teleport kubrow back to player when the loot (4got the name) is active.

And While at this kubrow thingy, can we have a gear to revive dead kubrow/sentinels? (like frame' life which requires 1 to 3 days to craft?)

Maybe for sentinels , most of the time it's not that big of deal and it never gets to the point where I can't revive my kubrow. The only mission I really have an issue with reviving a kubrow would be the raid. I still want to be able to use two kubrows :(.(also give buffs depending what combo you're using)

Just make it add ammo, health, and energy directly to your inventory, while actually picking up mods and resources, increase the cap of items it holds to 5-7. Boom it's useful.

And let us actually tell all kubrows what we want to do with it using the wheel thing we have to choose emots.

Updated 9/9/15

Existing Chesa Issues:

- items retrieved per trip capped at 3

- pathing

- prioritization of items to be retrieved

- delay in retrieved items being conveyed to owner

- items retrieved often dropped far from owner or during return to owner due to collision with objects or terrain

- some retrieved items never conveyed to owner due to Chesa's inability to physically keep up with owner, upon teleport to owner items has lost

- kubrow general issue, inability to restrict or prioritize kubrow to certain tasks via mod equipping to specific slots, that is to say the sentinels have attack precept mod, kubrows do not

== Historical Timeline ==

7/31/2015  Update 17: Echoes of the Sentient

Chesa kubrow is first introduced and only picks up one drop at a time.

8/1/2015

This thread is created, among others, expressing frustration at how different the Chesa functionality is from what players wanted and what DE implied would be delivered. I.E. A viable alternative to King Carrier.

8/2/2015

DE Steve is asked about if the Chesa was intended to be comparable to carrier on his Twitter and he states.

"that is the goal sorta, needs some improvements"

8/4/2015

DE Steve is asked again about the Chesa's functionality on his Twitter and he states.

"We've already admitted/planned to improve... not sure why a half dozen tweets about it is needed."

8/6/2015  Update 17.0.4

Patch Notes:  "The Chesa Kubrow’s Retrieve ability will now grab multiple items at once."

(Yup, mine picks up the huge amount of like 3 items at one time now.)

8/7/2015  Update 17.0.5

No Chesa fix.

8/12/2015  Updates 17.1.0-17.1.4

No Chesa fix.

8/13/2015  Prime Time #83 (time code 50:47)

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/510537-thanks-for-watching-prime-time-83/#entry5700359

DE Sheldon states:  "Hey, there is a fix almost ready for Chesa. I was gonna say I tested it today. Chesa will go around and pickup all kinds of stuff before she comes back to you."

8/14/2015  Update 17.1.5

No Chesa fix.

8/19/2015  Update 17.2

No Chesa fix.

8/20/2015  Update 17.2.1

No Chesa fix.

8/21/2015  Update 17.2.2

No Chesa fix.

8/24/2015  Update 17.2.3

No Chesa fix.

8/26/2015  Update 17.2.4

Patch Notes:  "Fixed some inconsistencies with Chesa retrieval behaviour on items that are in areas that have already been retrieved. More fixes will be rolled out as we continue to address polish items."

8/27/2015  Update 17.2.5

No Chesa fix.

8/28/2015  Update 17.2.6

No Chesa fix.

8/28/2015  Community Hot Topics

https://forums.warfr...s/#entry5807302

"Chesa and other Companions

We’ve discussed companions in previous Community Hot Topics, but this topic is specific to quality-of-life improvements that could make existing companions more desirable. Kubrows often come under scrutiny due to their required maintenance, and Chesa has garnered criticism because of the limitations of their Retrieve ability. Chesa’s utility is ultimately a reflection of Carrier’s vacuum, so do you think that homogenization of companion abilities is the best way to increase their value, or do you think there are ways to make each companion unique and desirable? If so, how? Is increasing Chesa’s Retrieve ability sufficient? What would you add or change to make other companions more useful? How often do you change your companions currently? Is there a change that would encourage you to diversify? Post your thoughts and ideas in this thread!"

9/2/2015  Update 17.3

No Chesa fix.

9/4/2015  Update 17.3.1

No Chesa fix.

9/4/2015  Devstream #59 (time code ~ 8:47)

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/522963-thanks-for-watching-devstream-59/#entry5854142

DE Rebecca attempted to obtain clarification from DE Sheldon on the Carrier Vacuum debate but only in brief passing mentioned the word Chesa. When the discussion transitioned to Kubrows the Chesa topic was avoided and instead DE Sheldon discussed "Pack Tactics", which appeared to be a distraction to properly responding to the core issue and player comments that have been posted regarding the Chesa.

9/9/2015  Update 17.4.0

No Chesa fix.

Edited by cobra302

Ah yes, Chesa work like a charm.... NOT

My loadout, retrieve is first in line

MbAt1MN.jpg

But what this mean in game? Nothing, absolutely nothing. I was at zero rifle ammo, then zero pistol ammo and lower then max energy but did Chasa move to retrieve some ammo, energy or even a mod that I saw ?? Nope. Working as intended (DE) :P

Ah yes, Chesa work like a charm.... NOT

-snip-

But what this mean in game? Nothing, absolutely nothing. I was at zero rifle ammo, then zero pistol ammo and lower then max energy but did Chasa move to retrieve some ammo, energy or even a mod that I saw ?? Nope. Working as intended (DE) :P

-snip media-

That's a common issue with all kubrows and that's why people have been begging for better AI since release.

That's a common issue with all kubrows and that's why people have been begging for better AI since release.

Indeed. I really, really hope that they will be rolling a major Kubrow AI improvement soon. I can't see them release the Catbrows when the fluffy AI is so horrible.

Also just got my first Chesa today and I was testing it out. Really disappointed with the Retrieve ability, it could be so magnificent, but no it's just a horrible mess. I like how aggressive the Chesa is though with the disarming people. I could watch him disarm several enemies in a row.

But yeah first of all the pathfinding for Kubrows is horrible, this makes the Chesa's Retrieve even more useless. Also if you are a really active player (like I am) there is simply no way the Chesa (or any other Kubrow for that matter) can keep up with me. What's the point in bullet jumping and all that if our Kubrows are acting like braindead turtles? Please make Kubrow AI and parkour 2.0. I don't care how funny it looks, I just want my Kubrow to just keep with my speed and manouvers all the time like Sentinels.

Chesa should really store all the items it passes by/collects and keep doing the disarming at the same time. Then it could periodically visit its master to unload the loot. Also items picked by the Chesa should ONLY affect the master's items, not everyone on the same mission. Also another idea would be to have Chesa instantly pick up items and give them to owner remotely.

To me Chesa feels more like a disarmer Kubrow than a retriever. Perhaps change its role and give the Retrieve ability to all Kubrows?

DE please, show some love for your amazing Kubrows and give them the AI upgrade they really crave for.

Edited by Judqment8

Updated 9/11/15

Existing Chesa Issues:

- items retrieved per trip capped at 3

- pathing

- prioritization of items to be retrieved

- delay in retrieved items being conveyed to owner

- items retrieved often dropped far from owner or during return to owner due to collision with objects or terrain

- some retrieved items never conveyed to owner due to Chesa's inability to physically keep up with owner, upon teleport to owner items has lost

- kubrow general issue, inability to restrict or prioritize kubrow to certain tasks via mod equipping to specific slots, that is to say the sentinels have attack precept mod, kubrows do not

== Historical Timeline ==

7/31/2015  Update 17: Echoes of the Sentient

Chesa kubrow is first introduced and only picks up one drop at a time.

8/1/2015

This thread is created, among others, expressing frustration at how different the Chesa functionality is from what players wanted and what DE implied would be delivered. I.E. A viable alternative to King Carrier.

8/2/2015

DE Steve is asked about if the Chesa was intended to be comparable to carrier on his Twitter and he states.

"that is the goal sorta, needs some improvements"

8/4/2015

DE Steve is asked again about the Chesa's functionality on his Twitter and he states.

"We've already admitted/planned to improve... not sure why a half dozen tweets about it is needed."

8/6/2015  Update 17.0.4

Patch Notes:  "The Chesa Kubrow’s Retrieve ability will now grab multiple items at once."

(Yup, mine picks up the huge amount of like 3 items at one time now.)

8/7/2015  Update 17.0.5

No Chesa fix.

8/12/2015  Updates 17.1.0-17.1.4

No Chesa fix.

8/13/2015  Prime Time #83 (time code 50:47)

https://forums.warfr...3/#entry5700359

DE Sheldon states:  "Hey, there is a fix almost ready for Chesa. I was gonna say I tested it today. Chesa will go around and pickup all kinds of stuff before she comes back to you."

8/14/2015  Update 17.1.5

No Chesa fix.

8/19/2015  Update 17.2

No Chesa fix.

8/20/2015  Update 17.2.1

No Chesa fix.

8/21/2015  Update 17.2.2

No Chesa fix.

8/24/2015  Update 17.2.3

No Chesa fix.

8/26/2015  Update 17.2.4

Patch Notes:  "Fixed some inconsistencies with Chesa retrieval behaviour on items that are in areas that have already been retrieved. More fixes will be rolled out as we continue to address polish items."

8/27/2015  Update 17.2.5

No Chesa fix.

8/28/2015  Update 17.2.6

No Chesa fix.

8/28/2015  Community Hot Topics

https://forums.warfr...s/#entry5807302

"Chesa and other Companions

We’ve discussed companions in previous Community Hot Topics, but this topic is specific to quality-of-life improvements that could make existing companions more desirable. Kubrows often come under scrutiny due to their required maintenance, and Chesa has garnered criticism because of the limitations of their Retrieve ability. Chesa’s utility is ultimately a reflection of Carrier’s vacuum, so do you think that homogenization of companion abilities is the best way to increase their value, or do you think there are ways to make each companion unique and desirable? If so, how? Is increasing Chesa’s Retrieve ability sufficient? What would you add or change to make other companions more useful? How often do you change your companions currently? Is there a change that would encourage you to diversify? Post your thoughts and ideas in this thread!"

9/2/2015  Update 17.3

No Chesa fix.

9/4/2015  Update 17.3.1

No Chesa fix.

9/4/2015  Devstream #59 (time code ~ 8:47)

https://forums.warfr...9/#entry5854142

DE Rebecca attempted to obtain clarification from DE Sheldon on the Carrier Vacuum debate but only in brief passing mentioned the word Chesa. When the discussion transitioned to Kubrows the Chesa topic was avoided and instead DE Sheldon discussed "Pack Tactics", which appeared to be a distraction to properly responding to the core issue and player comments that have been posted regarding the Chesa.

9/9/2015  Update 17.4.0

No Chesa fix.

9/10/2015  Update 17.4.1

No Chesa fix.

9/11/2015  Update 17.4.2

No Chesa fix.

Edited by cobra302