Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chesa Kubrow: Hype Destroyed

RextintorZ

That's how I sped through my crap incubations to get to my chesa, not that it was worth the rush... lol. Perhaps you would have gotten to your chesa faster if you paid the rush piper. :P 

Not only is putting money into RNG gambling against my religion but if I rushed all those I woulda wasted 500p to nothing. It woulda been even more of a waste since I coulda just bought 2 imprints for the insane price of 300p everyone tries to sell them for. Although I read that using imprints wasn't 100% so it'd still be RNG if that's true. D: My luck is already obviously bad so I've avoided that option. Not that I'd want to pay that much anyways though.

Edited by Wolfdoggie

Its probably very hard to program a companion that is really competent, especially when this one is meant to pick up items that drop randomly around the map. Its probably something they struggled with for a while too considering that this breed didn't come out when Kubrows first came out to begin with despite the fact that this was something very very obvious to make.

Also I have no idea if this is true or not, but if I would point my cross hairs over en item it seemed to make my kubrow prioritize that item more than others. not sure if it was just a fluke though. More testing is needed.

they can save alot of work if they just gave it the vacuum affect. thats what i was trying to say if they just copy paste problem solved. its what the people want and its THE easiest way to solve this problem why be so hard headed and make it harder than it should.

Anyone tested the new change? How does it affect the Kubrow?

I have defrosted and run several missions with Chesa specifically trying to see if there is any noticeable difference. It is probably my wishful thinking but the Chesa may, and I stress may, be pathing a little more smoothly and more quickly acquiring items for pickup. However, my Chesa appears to still be capped at picking up a maximum of 3 items per round trip. So, lets say there are 9 items within a 15m radius of my frame. The Chesa will go out, retrieve 3 items, then go retrieve 3 more items, then go retrieve the last 3 items. Seems rather silly doesn't it? Was it decided that for the sake of realism somehow the Chesa could only fit 3 items in its mouth at one time? I sure hope not but it seems that way. When you are moving through a mission and not stationary this 3 item cap makes the retrieval even less useful since the Chesa is following the player trying to catch up to hand off the pickups, all the while passing items it can't pickup because of a 3 item cap. Therefore everything it passes gets left behind. Now compare that to carrier which passes through a room and collects everything with no cap.

It would be great if some other players could observe their Chesa retrieving and provide feedback as to whether theirs also only picks up a maximum of 3 items per trip regardless of how many items are there.

To sum up the feedback, I would say, yes DE the Chesa certainly does need some more "polish". At the moment my Chesa looks rusty and I would prefer it to be as shiny as the high mirror gold King Carrier Prime.

Edited by cobra302

they can save alot of work if they just gave it the vacuum affect. thats what i was trying to say if they just copy paste problem solved. its what the people want and its THE easiest way to solve this problem why be so hard headed and make it harder than it should.

because thats an easy, but super silly idea =n=

A dog that is able to suck things up like a vacume? how does that make any sense in any way unless they specifically made a piece of armor or something with a vacume attached to it that it had to wear.

A dog that is able to suck things up like a vacume? how does that make any sense in any way unless they specifically made a piece of armor or something with a vacume attached to it that it had to wear.

dude your really gonna go there...really... how does shooting the tonkor or wait let me re word that. shooting a grenade  into the ground to catapult you in the air makes sense but a dog having vacuum doesn't ? or or or have an enemies  slap the ground and POOF dogs appear out of thin air.... or or here is a good one a small hand bag to suck up enough ammo for you from the ground into mid air might i add that ammo in itself might weigh more then the carrier itself and drop it gently on your head. come on man... its a run and gun game not a simulation.

Well done good sir. Well done.

Why thank you kind sir.

giphy.gif

Off topic, but jeez I can only imagine how Batman's life's improved since he's able to turn the goddamn neck..

Pretty sure it was the main reason he accepted Nolan offer for the movies.

And now thanks to Zack Snyder, his neck turn is OVER 9000!!11 XD

tumblr_nrf8jk84uo1rrkahjo2_540.gif

/derail

Edited by Sci_Ant

It was suggested in this thread that the affect of drawing in the items could be explained by functionality in the collar or the kubrow's fur being genetically engineered to be magnetic. The explanation can certainly be as creative and as believable as how it is explained that the Huras can make the owner invisible, or the Sahasa can dig items out of the metal decking of a spaceship, or the Raksa can replenish the owner's shields from 20 meters away, or how the owner can replenish the Kubrows health by attacking enemies with melee, or how the Kubrow can detect loot and enemies, or how the kubrow can teleport to the owner if they become separated, etc.

Not only is putting money into RNG gambling against my religion but if I rushed all those I woulda wasted 500p to nothing. It woulda been even more of a waste since I coulda just bought 2 imprints for the insane price of 300p everyone tries to sell them for. Although I read that using imprints wasn't 100% so it'd still be RNG if that's true. D: My luck is already obviously bad so I've avoided that option. Not that I'd want to pay that much anyways though.

Oooor, if you had rushed, you might have rolled the dice at a time when RNGesus would have smiled favorably on you and given you the chesa you want. :P

A wild Charrier appears!

klXL0Rg.png

Clandestine Corpus experiments on wild Kubrows result in horrifying dog-machine crossbreed, the CHARRIER! Coming Update 18!

Gotta catch 'em all, Tenno!

I dont check the thread for a week and i come back and see this. Gg.

Existing Chesa Issues:

- items retrieved per trip capped at 3

- pathing

- prioritization of items to be retrieved

- delay in retrieved items being conveyed to owner

- items retrieved often dropped far from owner or during return to owner due to collision with objects or terrain

- some retrieved items never conveyed to owner due to Chesa's inability to physically keep up with owner, upon teleport to owner items has lost

- kubrow general issue, inability to restrict or prioritize kubrow to certain tasks via mod equipping to specific slots, that is to say the sentinels have attack precept mod, kubrows do not

== Updated Historical Timeline ==

7/31/2015  Update 17: Echoes of the Sentient

Chesa kubrow is first introduced and only picks up one drop at a time.

8/1/2015

This thread is created, among others, expressing frustration at how different the Chesa functionality is from what players wanted and what DE implied would be delivered. I.E. A viable alternative to King Carrier.

8/2/2015

DE Steve is asked about if the Chesa was intended to be comparable to carrier on his Twitter and he states.

"that is the goal sorta, needs some improvements"

8/4/2015

DE Steve is asked again about the Chesa's functionality on his Twitter and he states.

"We've already admitted/planned to improve... not sure why a half dozen tweets about it is needed."

8/6/2015  Update 17.0.4

Patch Notes:  "The Chesa Kubrow’s Retrieve ability will now grab multiple items at once."

(Yup, mine picks up the huge amount of like 3 items at one time now.)

8/7/2015  Update 17.0.5

No Chesa fix.

8/12/2015  Updates 17.1.0-17.1.4

No Chesa fix.

8/13/2015  Prime Time #83 (time code 50:47)

DE Sheldon states:  "Hey, there is a fix almost ready for Chesa. I was gonna say I tested it today. Chesa will go around and pickup all kinds of stuff before she comes back to you."

8/14/2015  Update 17.1.5

No Chesa fix.

8/19/2015  Update 17.2

No Chesa fix.

8/20/2015  Update 17.2.1

No Chesa fix.

8/21/2015  Update 17.2.2

No Chesa fix.

8/24/2015  Update 17.2.3

No Chesa fix.

8/26/2015  Update 17.2.4

Patch Notes:  "Fixed some inconsistencies with Chesa retrieval behaviour on items that are in areas that have already been retrieved. More fixes will be rolled out as we continue to address polish items."

8/27/2015  Update 17.2.5

No Chesa fix.

8/28/2015  Update 17.2.6

No Chesa fix.

Hey good news! This thread has been noticed and posted as a source thread under the Chesa section in the latest Community Hot Topics > https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/519495-august-28th-community-hot-topics/

Time to cast your vote and let DE know what we think! :D

Good news indeed. I was just going to post a link by you beat me to it. I hope everyone from this thread will have a chance to go comment in the hot topics thread. There are already a lot of great ideas and feedback regarding not only the Chesa but also improvement of sentinels and kubrow in general.

Hey good news! This thread has been noticed and posted as a source thread under the Chesa section in the latest Community Hot Topics > https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/519495-august-28th-community-hot-topics/

Time to cast your vote and let DE know what we think! :D

It is excellent that DE has apparently taken this thread into consideration. It is terrible, however, that DE worded the question in such a horrible, vague, loaded fashion so that "diversity" is actually leading the poll by a tremendous margin. I shall repost my reply to that thread here:

"Would you rather companions have diverse abilities or share similar, but valuable, abilities?" 

A. I prefer diversity.

B. I prefer dull, grey sameness.

C. Other

D. I have no opinions, but love taking opinon polls.

Is at the same time a vague question and a loaded question. Please re-word the question to better communicate what sort of changes the players are actually voting on and ask again.

What we are really voting on is: " Would you rather leave companions as they are or ________" 

Fill in the blank:

A. make chesa a viable alternative to carrier. 

B. mix and match companion abilities so you can make the perfect companion.

C. give all companions/warframes vacuum so people can use companions other than carrier without a huge quality of life penalty

Which? I'm not sure, because, again, the question was vague.

However, I am absolutely certain in seeing that "diversity" is winning the poll, that players voting on the companion part of the poll do not understand that "similar but valuable" means (according to references) an improved chesa, or mix and match companion abilities, or essentially "vacuum for all!" With the question as written, I am not surprised when asked: "Would you like diversity in your companions or dull, grey sameness?" people picked diversity.  There are many other ways the question could have been asked that would have better conveyed the intent. The question could ask: "Do you want your kubrow and sentinel abilities limited by breed/type, or would you like to mix and match their abilities to get the perfect companion?" I imagine "perfect companion," i.e. "similar but valuable" would be winning the poll. Or if specifically about chesa vs carrier, "Would you like chesa to remain woefully inadequate compared to carrier because it creates diversity?" The overwhelming answer would be "no." i.e. "please fix chesa, it's rubbish."  And I'm guessing heaps of people didn't even bother reading the entirety of the reference threads before voting to know this is what the question was really asking because of the all too common "TL;DR." Not to mention being unsure of which, diversity, or similarity, most closely/properly describes their feelings on the topic. This question was written like one of those standardized test questions that's meant to make you agonize over: Of these answers that have been purposely formulated so they could not possibly accurately communicate your feelings on this matter which is the least inaccurate? (Choose carefully, the wrong answer will flag you in the system as a pedophile.) "Ummm... I guess... "A." .... maybe... probably, No, it's "B." I'm sure of it!... wait..."  So I declare the findings of that part of the poll invalid... apparently, I also declare myself a judge with jurisdiction over this matter.

If it's specifically about whether or not buffing chesa's looting ability would make it and carrier too similar, every other kubrow has essentially been a buffed version of the sentinel it competes with. It lost some of the any-sentinel utility abilites like guardian and formerly sanctuary (not anymore) in favor of much better durability and better use of the specialty like cloaking, huras-vs-shade, crowd controlling, raksa-vs-wyrm, shielding, raksa-vs-guardian (or essentially raksa vs guardian equipped wyrm). Chesa, which competes with carrier, is CRAP at looting. And I'm sure if the question was specifically "Is it okay to leave chesa as-is because its poor excuse for looting creates diversity?" You would not be getting "diversity" as the majority vote in the poll.

There are ways to make chesa's looting unique to it without being so woefully inadequate compared to carrier. It could howl and then greedy pull all the loot in the area onto itself, doggily shake it off onto the floor and pant adorably while marking the spot it made a loot pile for you on the mini-map. It could do as just described but direct deposit all the loot into inventory. The difference between the two being chesa's adorable animation, better durability and mobility, plus periodic looting of a massive area vs carrier's constant looting of a smaller area.

Chesa could also simply eat all the loot it comes across and direct deposit to inventory. I suggest: little tendril robot arms going from the collar to near the mouth, any item the kubrow tries to bite, these tendrils zap into inventory. These tendrils could have a little electric looking zap and a flash, potentially based on kubrow armor energy color. Thus chesa uses a little muscle-signal controlled apparatus it has been trained to use for looting. This same mechanism could be what it uses to vanish enemy weapons right out of their hands. (Adorable animation alternative: chesa picks up items then tosses it into the air above/behind it where a tendril pops out of the collar and grabs it. Disarming: chesa wrestles the gun away, does the loot toss, and the tendril vaporizes it. Though these animations need to be quick so as not to terribly slow the looting process) Making the difference between it and carrier that it loots more slowly but does so over a potentially much greater distance, provided it has a large loot detection radius, (this could be based on player's current location, not kubrow location so it doesn't wander waaaay off, or based on kubrow location so it thoroughly cleans an area and then when no loot is detected, returns to master, unless loot is detected, then it cleans and reverts to going to master... but this is probably like trying to program an intelligent roomba) and it would have to keep looting even when you are not doing anything. Presently the kubrow seems to stop looting and idle if you stop attacking/moving, leaving heaps of loot uncollected, carrier never sleeps like that, the kubrow shouldn't either. Additionally, we'd have to have the option (precept priority, kubrow commands, something) of making the kubrow prioritize looting over combat or looting and disarming over attacking or disarming above all. At this point, I'm thinking greedy pull chesa would be the least coding intensive/least difficult to get to function properly.

An alternative to all of this, because I think the greater question here regarding carrier/chesa/companions in general is the quality of life improvement that is vacuum. Give carrier the ability to store a reasonable amount of health/energy/ammo that you came across when you didn't need it to give back to you later when you do need it, making carrier an actual carrier, or essentially a health bar/energy bar/ammo pool extender (an extension that only fills as you come across "bonus" of these things, you don't start the mission with it). Alternatively, make carrier the ultimate mutation mod transforming ammo you don't need into what you do and health/energy based on need, i.e..: with low health and full energy, it turns energy orbs into health, with low energy and full health it turns health orbs into energy. Though this may warrant a name change to "Converter" or something. Turn vacuum into a utility precept that any companion can use (perhaps a prime opportunity to introduce the "exilus" slot on companions). When equipped on kubrows/other non sentinels to come, it uses the magic master-collar link to generate the vacuum effect from the warframe's location rather than try to tackle the coding/quality of life issues inherent to a mobile companion possessing the loot collection aura around it wherever it randomly goes rather than looting the area you have control over from warframe positioning. Chesa then retains it's loot kubrow usefulness by eating any loot it comes across beyond your loot collection radius and direct depositing to inventory (this "realistic" fetch thing just won't cut it) and carrier retains usefulness as a carrier of excess health/energy/ammo you came across but didn't need and now do. Additionally, an exilus type vacuum utility mod could be created for warframes so you can choose to put it on the companion or the warframe just like with the warframe vs companion enemy sense, and could potentially stack for an even greater loot collection radius like detection radii stack.

It is excellent that DE has apparently taken this thread into consideration. It is terrible, however, that DE worded the question in such a horrible, vague, loaded fashion so that "diversity" is actually leading the poll by a tremendous margin.

Couldn't agree more, seems like they are dodging the question, while making us feel they are asking us for actual feedback.

Even in the latest Devstream this question of the Chesa was brought up again and Sheldon totally dodged answering directly by bringing up the whole pack tactics idea.

That is kind of tiring to hear since once again it seems that instead of ever fixing or polishing broken or ineffective mechanics all the devs want to do is add new broken stuff to the game to attract more people.

Funny thing is there is already enough content to attract new players to the game every single day. I strongly feel the DEvs needs to stop creating for a month, take a look at all the borked things in the game and fix them. It will bring back a larger playerbase who are in the process of leaving due to the buggy nature of the game and make new players love the game more.

And instead of coming with new ways to screw with things that are perfectly fine as of now, like the whole mutlishot nerf topic, they should focus on things that are actually broken.

Edited by Sci_Ant

Couldn't agree more, seems like they are dodging the question, while making us feel they are asking us for actual feedback.

Even in the latest Devstream this question of the Chesa was brought up again and Sheldon totally dodged answering directly by bringing up the whole pack tactics idea.

That is kind of tiring to hear since once again it seems that instead of ever fixing or polishing broken or ineffective mechanics all the devs want to do is add new broken stuff to the game to attract more people.

Funny thing is there is already enough content to attract new players to the game every single day. I strongly feel the DEvs needs to stop creating for a month, take a look at all the borked things in the game and fix them. It will bring back a larger playerbase who are in the process of leaving due to the buggy nature of the game and make new players love the game more.

And instead of coming with new ways to screw with things that are perfectly fine as of now, like the whole mutlishot nerf topic, they should focus on things that are actually broken.

Agree and am equally disappointed that after the vast discussion of the Chesa here and on the August 28 Hot Topics that Sheldon basically avoided addressing the question and Rebecca avoided asking him specifically what the plans were for the Chesa. The only somewhat direct answer Sheldon gave was that he felt Vacuum should stay specific only to Carrier because that's "kinda what makes Carrier, Carrier" (time code 7:20 in video).

Edited by cobra302

Updated 9/7/15

Existing Chesa Issues:

- pathing

- items retrieved often dropped far from owner or during return to owner due to collision with objects or terrain

- some retrieved items never conveyed to owner due to Chesa's inability to physically keep up with owner, upon teleport to owner items has lost

- kubrow general issue, inability to restrict or prioritize kubrow to certain tasks via mod equipping to specific slots, that is to say the sentinels have attack precept mod, kubrows do not

== Historical Timeline ==

8/1/2015

This thread is created, among others, expressing frustration at how different the Chesa functionality is from what players wanted and what DE implied would be delivered. I.E. A viable alternative to King Carrier.

8/2/2015

DE Steve is asked about if the Chesa was intended to be comparable to carrier on his Twitter and he states.

8/4/2015

DE Steve is asked again about the Chesa's functionality on his Twitter and he states.

"We've already admitted/planned to improve... not sure why a half dozen tweets about it is needed."

8/6/2015  Update 17.0.4

Patch Notes:  "The Chesa Kubrow’s Retrieve ability will now grab multiple items at once."

8/7/2015  Update 17.0.5

No Chesa fix.

No Chesa fix.

DE Sheldon states:  "Hey, there is a fix almost ready for Chesa. I was gonna say I tested it today. Chesa will go around and pickup all kinds of stuff before she comes back to you."

8/14/2015  Update 17.1.5

No Chesa fix.

8/19/2015  Update 17.2

No Chesa fix.

8/20/2015  Update 17.2.1

No Chesa fix.

8/21/2015  Update 17.2.2

No Chesa fix.

8/24/2015  Update 17.2.3

No Chesa fix.

8/26/2015  Update 17.2.4

Patch Notes:  "Fixed some inconsistencies with Chesa retrieval behaviour on items that are in areas that have already been retrieved. More fixes will be rolled out as we continue to address polish items."

8/27/2015  Update 17.2.5

No Chesa fix.

8/28/2015  Update 17.2.6

No Chesa fix.

8/28/2015  Community Hot Topics

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/519495-august-28th-community-hot-topics/#entry5807302

"Chesa and other Companions

We’ve discussed companions in previous Community Hot Topics, but this topic is specific to quality-of-life improvements that could make existing companions more desirable. Kubrows often come under scrutiny due to their required maintenance, and Chesa has garnered criticism because of the limitations of their Retrieve ability. Chesa’s utility is ultimately a reflection of Carrier’s vacuum, so do you think that homogenization of companion abilities is the best way to increase their value, or do you think there are ways to make each companion unique and desirable? If so, how? Is increasing Chesa’s Retrieve ability sufficient? What would you add or change to make other companions more useful? How often do you change your companions currently? Is there a change that would encourage you to diversify? Post your thoughts and ideas in this thread!"

9/2/2015  Update 17.3

No Chesa fix.

9/4/2015  Update 17.3.1

No Chesa fix.

Edited by cobra302

Updated 9/7/15

Existing Chesa Issues:

- pathing

== Historical Timeline ==

8/1/2015

8/2/2015

8/4/2015

8/6/2015  Update 17.0.4

8/7/2015  Update 17.0.5

No Chesa fix.

No Chesa fix.

8/14/2015  Update 17.1.5

No Chesa fix.

8/19/2015  Update 17.2

No Chesa fix.

8/20/2015  Update 17.2.1

No Chesa fix.

8/21/2015  Update 17.2.2

No Chesa fix.

8/24/2015  Update 17.2.3

No Chesa fix.

8/26/2015  Update 17.2.4

8/27/2015  Update 17.2.5

No Chesa fix.

8/28/2015  Update 17.2.6

No Chesa fix.

8/28/2015  Community Hot Topics

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/519495-august-28th-community-hot-topics/#entry5807302

"Chesa and other Companions

We’ve discussed companions in previous Community Hot Topics, but this topic is specific to quality-of-life improvements that could make existing companions more desirable. Kubrows often come under scrutiny due to their required maintenance, and Chesa has garnered criticism because of the limitations of their Retrieve ability. Chesa’s utility is ultimately a reflection of Carrier’s vacuum, so do you think that homogenization of companion abilities is the best way to increase their value, or do you think there are ways to make each companion unique and desirable? If so, how? Is increasing Chesa’s Retrieve ability sufficient? What would you add or change to make other companions more useful? How often do you change your companions currently? Is there a change that would encourage you to diversify? Post your thoughts and ideas in this thread!"

9/2/2015  Update 17.3

No Chesa fix.

9/4/2015  Update 17.3.1

No Chesa fix.

i think de gave up on chesa now..sadly :C

I am not sure about that as DE appears to read and reply frequently and in some cases within a half an hour or less to some threads. It just appears for some reason that DE has chosen to intentionally not acknowledge this thread.

I wonder if Sheldon has a Twitter account like Steve where he might respond if he were asked about and directed to this thread?

It is hard to believe that now being almost a month later and this thread quickly approaching 12,000 views that DE won't respond. I even included a link to this thread and question about Chesa for last friday's devstream but it apparently was overlooked. Maybe if more people asked why the Chesa isn't fixed yet in each upcoming release patch notes and reference this thread DE will provide some response?

If anyone has Seen Dev Stream 59, Rebecca and Sheldon briefly spoke about this issue. They said it is still up for debate at this time but they are still doing research about what the community wants and what the Chesa is meant to do. Im not exactly sure what they meant by this but from what Sheldon said its more like this in my opinion. They have put the ideas about Chesa on pause for now because they want to get the Quest to kill the Grineer Queens up by December which may no longer be a possibility. 

If you all want to learn more about this issue please watch the dev streams. They may have only spent 2 minuets on this topic and then talked in depth about the carrier but please give it a look. 

Edited by Atio_Bannet

If anyone has Seen Dev Stream 59, Rebecca and Sheldon briefly spoke about this issue. They said it is still up for debate at this time but they are still doing research about what the community wants and what the Chesa is meant to do. Im not exactly sure what they meant by this but from what Sheldon said its more like this in my opinion. They have put the ideas about Chesa on pause for now because they want to get the Quest to kill the Grineer Queens up by December which may no longer be a possibility. 

If you all want to learn more about this issue please watch the dev streams. They may have only spent 2 minuets on this topic and then talked in depth about the carrier but please give it a look.

A bit late to the party man. Cobra and I were already discussing what Sheldon said about the Kubrows in Devstream 59. Please look at the post at the top of this page.

Edited by Sci_Ant