Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Parkour 2.0 Is Such An Improvement

97raven123

This is less so directed to the devs of the game and moreso to the community, but if the devs read this, I want you guys to know that parkour 2.0 is fantastic.

I've seen tons of posts and topics saying that it's terrible. Some say it's unrealistic, some say it makes these current maps too easy to navigate. Some say it trivializes obstacles. While none of these are wrong, I don't think that matters all too much. There is one reason this new parkour system is infinitely better.

Because it's fun!

It's REALLY fun!

Parkour 1.0 always felt sluggish and a means to an end. It felt like it was slapped in just to be a selling point. Parkour 1.0 was sluggish, on rails, and only really useful in key places. Admittedly coptering was a step in the right direction, as that was tons of fun, but I understand the problem in making certain weapons better for travel and disregarding their other stats.

Parkour 2.0? It feels like a weight has been removed from the warframes and that the rails have been removed from the maps. There is a freedom of movement I've never felt before in warframe, and it's great! I can bullet jump upwards and double jump to a wall to hop off of it into another bullet jump where I do a max payne jump and beam several enemies down before finally slamming into the ground with an accelerated melee attack! It's fantastic!

Is it unrealistic? Yes. But since has warframe been realistic? It's not real parkour, we're not humans on earth with earthly limitations, we're space ninjas with literal magical powers flying through dimensions with bat dogs! No offense to actual people who parkour, that stuff is nuts.

Does it currently make the current maps easy to zip through? Certainly. This is something that can be fixed later, and probably will. New tilesets will feature bigger rooms with more platforms and walls, and older tilesets will be remixed. One of the new conclave maps, the shipyard, is built perfectly with this new parkour in mind! This is a problem that can and will be fixed.

What is it with the small but vocal part of this community that hates fun? It's not just parkour, it's several features. People will complain that a new rifle's stats aren't as good as the old one that shoots bullets, but ignore the fact that it shoots lightning and death in such great detail! They'll complain that the new tyl regor boss isn't as amazing because it takes longer and ignore that it's an absolute blast to use only melee against him in a crazy and hectic battle! (Side note, Tyl is my new favorite boss in warframe) These are extreme and made up examples (i hope) but the point stands.

It's 3:00 am where I am and I'm ranting and probably should go to sleep. My point is, people got to stop judging things so strictly.  The main goal of any good game is to be a fun and enjoyable experience, be it also to push narrative, graphics, etc., and that's exactly what warframe does so well. It makes farming fun, it makes customizing fun, it makes shooting enemies with a large variety of weapons fun, and now it's made the act of just moving around fun!

Okay, got that out of my system. Will be able to reply more coherently tomorrow. Right now I'm hopping around my clan dojo's obstacle course while I wait for my twin grakatas to build in a sleep deprived stupor. Hopefully I don't sound like a total idiot for making this topic. Oh well.

Edited by 97raven123

I agree with Parkour 2.0 being an incredible addition, it also allows for more melee weapons to be used because you dont have to decide on it based around coptering anymore. 

My Dual Zorens have found a new place to call home

bguMwZw.png

Edited by Rosalyn

Agreed. I love this new movement system. It just feels right compared to flinging with a melee.

I don't care if we can't go hyperspeed, we got better functionality and fun instead. Hopefully people complaining about it will eventually get Coptering out of their heads and enjoy it.

DesecratedFlame, fair enough. Fun is subjective, that I understand. But my point still stands that the new parkour system improves the freedom of movement and removes the need to stick to certain melee weapons for movement.

On a related note, I do agree that hopping across walls is a bit awkward, but I think the wall hop is less a replacement of the wall run and moreso a method to hop off a wall to continue your forward momentum. It's a sort of touch and go thing now, as you can hop once of a wall and reuse your bulletjump off of it.

Maybe they could make it so if you wall latch you could run along the wall in a chosen direction before hopping off? That way the old wallrun could be incorporated in an optional way for players who preferred it.

Even if we are a bit slower (if you were expecting to match a copter with a Tipedo... yeah no), I feel we are more flexible now. There is no place we cannot reach now, thanks to jumping on walls (if a bullet jump doesn't get you on top of a smaller building already).

Agreed. I like to say that, now, all warframes nearly have the pre-update Zephyr mobility. But Zephyr is still the queen of the skies, she just became even more awesome, especially with the (nearly no-gravity) aim glide.

In my opinion the game just became more... Fluid ? Fluent ? Maybe a mix of those two adjectives ? Dunno how to say it in english, but I hope everybody gets my point... We're not bound to the ground anymore.

I also like 2.0 way better than 1.0 overall.  I hated coptering and stamina, so I'm glad that both are gone.  I don't find myself repeatedly backflipping off of short walls that I try to climb (I just double jump them now), I'm way more mobile, and the air glide gives me the ability to target aerial downward melee strikes with way more accuracy than before.  It actually makes me feel a bit like a raptor casually soaring through the sky, choosing its victim, then striking down with sudden, extreme speed.  Bullet jumps are extremely handy for reaching higher places when you do them right, and they're not bad for dodging gunfire if you need to (though I usually just rely on sprinting with Rush for that).

I'm totally with the OP on this subject. Parkour 2.0 is 100% pure gaming goodness. It allows you to utilize the tilesets in completely new ways, it gives you more control of both your melee and gunplay movement and is generally just more engaging and diverse.

The removal of "you must have this weapon equipped to move fast" and Stamina are two of the best changes to Warframe in a long time.