Sealab Defense: A Model For All Defenses?

FelisImpurrator

So I'm doing the Natah quest's Defense portion and having my first experience with the tileset...

...and I have to say, this is the best experience I've ever had with a defense. It's also my first one that uses the new spawn code, and that's turning out to be an absolute blast.

The beauty of this tileset is that it gives defense something it's always needed: Movement. Sitting in one spot is boring. But at the same time, if you simply stuck a bunch of cryopods on the old defense maps, enemies would simply spawn right beside them and shred them in seconds, costing you the mission. Here, enemies spawn far enough away that you, with your vast advantage in terms of mobility, can safely outrun them to the new objective and set up your defense. That means there's pressure, but not overwhelming pressure - now this is a tileset built for Parkour 2.0 and I love it.

First off, I would love to see all the Defense tiles reworked into something like this. Make this the template for Defense 2.0, if it isn't already. The most boring mission type in the game is now one of the most entertaining.

Second, I actually want to see a variable number of objectives. Between three and five, possibly. I say this mainly because limiting it to four targets still leaves the Interception problem - people can split up, treat each objective as a solo defense, and just camp there for the entire mission. Besides changing the number of objectives that way - possibly based on difficulty - maybe make it dynamic, introduce tiles that actually add and remove targets somehow, to mix things up a little.

Third, we still have Mobile Defense, ironically less mobile than this new mission type... but we've already seen where that can go: Emergency Exit. Where the defense target is literally moving. Why not change Mobile Defense, as a game mode, to that? I will say, the target needed far better AI, but if that's cleaned up it has the potential to be much more fun - especially in a new-style tileset.

-

UPDATE: A bug I noticed, and some ideas.

Bug: Drahk love getting stuck on random bits of map for some reason. They can't handle the tunnels, apparently.

Potential Changes:

The defense targets sharing health doesn't exactly make sense. Especially since there are four of them to protect. What if they all had separate health bars to spice things up? A friend suggested, though, that having them heal when they aren't being targeted would be too easy... but I think it would be a problem for them to not heal at all when inactive, at least on higher level runs. Maybe a compromise - the inactive pods heal, but only up to 50% or 75% health.

On the subject of pod healing, though, defenses have always suffered from the fact that late-game scaling means everything will oneshot the pod. So here's an idea. What if the defense targets had oneshot prevention? A few seconds of invincibility when they're reduced to, say, 200 health (like Quick Thinking; the actual number would vary based on the level of the pod, though) - on cooldown so it isn't abused, but still enough to give players a breather. Or it could only activate if the pod takes x amount of damage in one shot/second. Or give the pod a damage per shot cap like Juggernaut Behemoth. There are plenty of ways to alleviate, or at least band-aid, the issue of random enemies one-hitting your cryo at 60+ and forcing a Frost to be there spamming Snowglobe.

Mobile defenses... simple. Allow revives on the defense target. With a longer - at least double - bleedout timer. And maybe a faster revive time, but really, it needs a longer bleedout more than that.

Edited by FelisImpurrator

I now want to play Defense. 

Regarding your edit; what is there was a leech ability for the pods?  It gets too low on health and it starts siphoning off health from the Tenno in the mission.  It'd all be based on how far away you are from the pod and probably 1 HP every second from each Tenno while the pod gains 4/8 HP/s?

I now want to play Defense. 

Regarding your edit; what is there was a leech ability for the pods?  It gets too low on health and it starts siphoning off health from the Tenno in the mission.  It'd all be based on how far away you are from the pod and probably 1 HP every second from each Tenno while the pod gains 4/8 HP/s?

Mm, making it like hijack is not an idea I'm fond of. I'm not a fan of things leeching off you to begin with, and it would mean you couldn't bring a squishy frame setup - what if you're running Mag or Nova or something?

No, I think regen's still better, throttled by whjatever's appropriate.