Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pet Peeve

(PSN)beastbread

Me: WTB [iTEM]

Seller: Offer?

Me: 25 plat

Seller: don't know what your smoking, must be some good stuff.

If you would have just said you wanted 50 or whatever for it I would have paid that. 

and yeah, its good stuff

I find it's kind of like dating. Both parties would prefer/expect the other person to make the first move. To put out an actual offer is to open yourself up to be rejected. We're all just squishy meat bags that don't want to be hurt.

Some people don't like to do the whole offer thing, I myself included. How I see it is either say your price or don't be surprised when you don't get a response~

How is that rude. They stated they wanted to buy and you refused to give a price.

I believe the person that placed the ad is obligated to state a price or offer first.  (Unless the ad specifically says PMME your offer or price. )

It's not rude for someone to PM you asking what your offer is when you place a WTB ad.  You placed the ad.  It is YOU that is initiating a trade.    It is rude to ignore someone that took the time to answer your ad.  

If you don't want to lay all your cards on the table with your offer, just throw out a lowball number and see what happens.  Negotiations start by somebody stating a price.  You can't very well buy or sell something if you don't know the price can you?

I find it a pet peeve when someone responds with "offer", personally. You can now see why I don't respond after. I'm not interested in the "offer game". I'm wanting to buy something. I want to know what you're selling the item for. If I'm happy with the price, I'll buy. If I'm not, I'll move on. I don't go to wal-mart and ask to buy a stack of towels and expect the register person to ask me what I'm offering. I'm looking for a price. Yes, Warframe is market based with changing prices. Yes, I understand that what you're selling price now might change later, or probably changed since yesterday since it IS market based...but frankly, I don't care about what it used to sell for nor do I care what it'll sell for tomorrow. What I'm interested is how much you're selling it for now.

Too many "offer" people are just trying to game me. I'm not interested in the "usual price". I'm not interested in scams, or people "offering this high price" and someone else coming right after after selling it lower so I think it's a good deal but in reality it's 2 people trying to scam me when the "real" price is much, much lower. What I'm interested in is what I'm willing to buy it for. Name your price. Don't play games with me. I'll either buy it or I'll move on. If you ask offer, I then have to go around doing research to figure out what's a good price. I don't have time for that. Instead, I'll respond to the person who actually gave me a price. Next time, bear in mind, if you ask "offer", it's likely your loss and not the person buying. There aren't that many "exclusive" items that "no one else has".

Edited by RpTheHotrod

Really, the person who is advertising should state their preference in the initial message.

"WTB foo, XXp" or "WTB bar, PM price"

"WTS blah, XXp" or "WTS blah, PM offer"

That way, there's no confusion, anyone who can't read can be safely ignored, and anyone who doesn't like the requested negotiation method can safely ignore the advertiser.

If I type WTB something you as the seller should PM a price you want to sale it at. If you don't I usually ignore you and go on to another seller.

It's like if I go to a store. I am the buyer (aka I WTB something), the store is they seller (aka they want to sale something to me). Imagine if I went into a store at the mall and instead of having a price up front the store clerk said "Offer?". I'd walk straight out of that store.

Also as a seller if you don't make the offer up front you are losing out. There are other tabs going off in my chat and I guarantee you someone has stated a price to me and usually more then one. So if you are that one seller who just says offer people might not bother.

Once again I've never walked into a store and the seller didn't have a price. Even in open air markets in other countries I've visited. They have a price tag on the item and THEN you tell them "Ok, I'll pay for that" or "No, I want it for this [insert other price]". There is very few business models in this world where they encourage the seller to not tell the buyer a price even if that price is open to negotiation.

So when you just say "offer" I like many people will just move on to the next person who already gave me a hard or negotiating price.

Again, the person that places the ad whether it is the buyer or seller should be the one to first mention an offer or a price.

However, its ok to go out of order and just throw a number out.  That's how negotiations start.  This is chat based trading people.  Enough with all the drama.  If you have to throw out a number first and you are not comfortable just throw out a highball or lowball number to get the conversation started.   

Moving on and ignoring people just because they ask you for a number is Diva like behaviour.  The most successful traders know how to be polite and get a negotiation started.

It doesn't matter if there are preset prices. I even stated in my example that even in negotiating situations the seller usually has a price. And I don't have to state anything. Unless you are the only one selling I got 5 other tabs going off and someone has stated a price. So you can take your goods and move on to the next, because I don't have to state anything to you.

Thats fine if you want to trade that way.  Just keep in mind you are not going to be as successful as someone that works with everyone to get a negotiation started.

I find it a pet peeve when someone responds with "offer", personally. You can now see why I don't respond after. I'm not interested in the "offer game". I'm wanting to buy something. I want to know what you're selling the item for. If I'm happy with the price, I'll buy. If I'm not, I'll move on. I don't go to wal-mart and ask to buy a stack of towels and expect the register person to ask me what I'm offering. I'm looking for a price.

This is not Walmart.  This is a trade screen much like the stock market.  Prices fluctuate, going up and down based on perceived value, supply, demand and negotiating abilities.  

Really, the person who is advertising should state their preference in the initial message.

"WTB foo, XXp" or "WTB bar, PM price"

"WTS blah, XXp" or "WTS blah, PM offer"

That way, there's no confusion, anyone who can't read can be safely ignored, and anyone who doesn't like the requested negotiation method can safely ignore the advertiser.

The ignore function is used way too much in the trade chat.  So many potential deals get torpedoed because someone gets their feelers hurt and hits ignore.  Don't be afraid to start a negotiation and see where it leads.  Even if someone "can't read." 

The ignore function is used way too much in the trade chat.  So many potential deals get torpedoed because someone gets their feelers hurt and hits ignore.  Don't be afraid to start a negotiation and see where it leads.  Even if someone "can't read." 

Ignore as in do not follow up. Using the game function to ignore people in trade chat over one message would be silly.

I've got to admit I get irked whenever someone posts "WTB...." in the trade tab and after I make an offer they reply, "don't have plat, got prime parts."  Well then my friend you ment to post "WTT", want-to-trade, because you wanted to trade something for something.  WTB implies that you're offering plat in exchange for the item (or items) you want.  But getting back to the OP's topic, you really shouldn't take it too personally if someone doesn't reply to you.  They've got a number in their head, and if your offer isn't close to that number then they'll disregard you from that point on.  Some people will counter offer, some people will laugh at your offer, but most will consider the conversation is now over.

@lupowolfen - I understand what you're saying, but also you're line of thinking works the other way too (and you probably know this). If the seller came back to me with a price instead of just saying offer he could have made a sale there as well, instead of having to wait for another buyer. Just as I passed on him because I don't like to trade that way he also just passed on me by not stating a sale price and instead waiting for me to offer. So he is also not being as successful as someone who works with everyone. The most successful sellers in my opinion state a price ahead. When I'm selling, whether it's to respond to a WTB or posting a WTS I always state a price. It may not be the final price I have in my mind, but I always throw out a price because I KNOW that their are a lot of buyers like me who will reject my chat if I JUST PUT "OFFER". So to increase my potential pool I ALWAYS add a price even if it's not the final price in my mind.

The sellers who do not, and ONLY respond by saying 'offer' are LITERALLY limiting their pool of buyers because their are A LOT of players who will ignore that and move on to another chat tab that blew up on their chat bar with a guy who listed a price.

If you don't have any other examples then use me as one. I am the perfect example of someone who will turn you down if all you responded was 'Offer' and move on to another trade PM that opened up. And I don't know how many players are like me, but I can guarantee you that I'm not the only one.

Edited by (XB1)Lorewalker1022

If I go on a marketplace and I tell a merchant, that I would like to buy something, than he doesn't reply to me "Your offer?".

He's giving me his price and than I have to decide whether I want it or not.

Saying "Offer?" is just rude as a merchant.

Edited by Feyangol

I've got to admit I get irked whenever someone posts "WTB...." in the trade tab and after I make an offer they reply, "don't have plat, got prime parts."

I'll let you in on a little secret.

People will post "WTB X" with no intention of every buying it. What they are actually doing is checking the current average market value.

Edited by (PS4)DesecratedFlame

I'll let you in on a little secret.

People will post "WTB X" with no intention of every buying it. What they are actually doing is checking the current average market value.

Jokes on them, the price is "offer!"  :P

Ignore as in do not follow up. Using the game function to ignore people in trade chat over one message would be silly.

Ok well, I'm glad you are not one of the people hitting the ignore button in trade.   Still even typing something like "my ad asked for your offer"  would be a nicer way to close things out wouldn't it?  We should always strive to be professional and polite.  This is also probably what you would say to someone if you were talking face to face.  

This is not Walmart.  This is a trade screen much like the stock market.  Prices fluctuate, going up and down based on perceived value, supply, demand and negotiating abilities.  

I think you're missing the point. The point is, if I want to buy something, I want to know your price. If your price is changing constantly because it's a market, that's entirely fine...but I still want to know your price. The OP says it is his pet peeve when people don't remind to "offer?". I'm saying it's my pet peeve when people say "offer?". How is his pet peeve any more viable or more valid over mine, and how is my pet peeve any more viable or more valid over his? People are people. People buy one way. People buy another way. Find one that fits your bill and don't let it bother you. If someone doesn't respond, move on. There's plenty of other fish in the see. If someone says "offer?" to me, I don't go off on them. I just move on to another seller.

Too many "offer" people are just trying to game me. I'm not interested in the "usual price". I'm not interested in scams, or people "offering this high price" and someone else coming right after after selling it lower so I think it's a good deal but in reality it's 2 people trying to scam me when the "real" price is much, much lower. What I'm interested in is what I'm willing to buy it for. Name your price. Don't play games with me. I'll either buy it or I'll move on. If you ask offer, I then have to go around doing research to figure out what's a good price. I don't have time for that. Instead, I'll respond to the person who actually gave me a price. Next time, bear in mind, if you ask "offer", it's likely your loss and not the person buying. There aren't that many "exclusive" items that "no one else has".

Edited by RpTheHotrod

@lupowolfen - I understand what you're saying, but also you're line of thinking works the other way too (and you probably know this). If the seller came back to me with a price instead of just saying offer he could have made a sale there as well, instead of having to wait for another buyer. Just as I passed on him because I don't like to trade that way he also just passed on me by not stating a sale price and instead waiting for me to offer. So he is also not being as successful as someone who works with everyone. The most successful sellers in my opinion state a price ahead. When I'm selling, whether it's to respond to a WTB or posting a WTS I always state a price. It may not be the final price I have in my mind, but I always throw out a price because I KNOW that their are a lot of buyers like me who will reject my chat if I JUST PUT "OFFER". So to increase my potential pool I ALWAYS add a price even if it's not the final price in my mind.

The sellers who do not, and ONLY respond by saying 'offer' are LITERALLY limiting their pool of buyers because their are A LOT of players who will ignore that and move on to another chat tab that blew up on their chat bar with a guy who listed a price.

If you don't have any other examples then use me as one. I am the perfect example of someone who will turn you down if all you responded was 'Offer' and move on to another trade PM that opened up. And I don't know how many players are like me, but I can guarantee you that I'm not the only one.

Sure, trade however you want.  Sounds like you have a good method down.

I don't think the most successful sellers always have to have a price.  As a seller you can miss out on someone that would have paid much more if you are always throwing a price out.  I like a mix of the two.  Sometimes stating a price and sometimes asking for offers.  

The old business adage of "The first person to mention a number loses"  is true to some extent.  And that's why people always try to get you to say a number first and its taken to rude extremes where some people will never reveal their number until you state yours.  But going to rude extremes (to avoid mentioning a number first) ends up losing them deals.  So, feel free to mention a number to get things started (like you do.)  And then let the negotiation commence.  If I'm not sure about my number, I'll throw out a highball or lowball first.  

Edited by (PS4)lupowolfen