Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pet Peeve

(PSN)beastbread

I What I'm interested in is what I'm willing to buy it for. Name your price. Don't play games with me. I'll either buy it or I'll move on

That's the problem, and that is why people respond with "offer" in the first place.

I might want 300p but be willing to take as low as 260p, occasionally. If I respond with 300, and you move on silently because you only wanted to spend 275, then I have lost out on a sale. You are part of the cause of the offer problem.

I think you're missing the point. The point is, if I want to buy something, I want to know your price. If your price is changing constantly because it's a market, that's entirely fine...but I still want to know your price. The OP says it is his pet peeve when people don't remind to "offer?". I'm saying it's my pet peeve when people say "offer?". How is his pet peeve any more viable or more valid over mine, and how is my pet peeve any more viable or more valid over his? People are people. People buy one way. People buy another way. Find one that fits your bill and don't let it bother you. If someone doesn't respond, move on. There's plenty of other fish in the see. If someone says "offer?" to me, I don't go off on them. I just move on to another seller.

Too many "offer" people are just trying to game me. I'm not interested in the "usual price". I'm not interested in scams, or people "offering this high price" and someone else coming right after after selling it lower so I think it's a good deal but in reality it's 2 people trying to scam me when the "real" price is much, much lower. What I'm interested in is what I'm willing to buy it for. Name your price. Don't play games with me. I'll either buy it or I'll move on. If you ask offer, I then have to go around doing research to figure out what's a good price. I don't have time for that. Instead, I'll respond to the person who actually gave me a price. Next time, bear in mind, if you ask "offer", it's likely your loss and not the person buying. There aren't that many "exclusive" items that "no one else has".

(Not sure why it did the reverse video on part of your post above.)

You sound like a nice person and please feel free to trade however you want. And true there are plenty of scams going on in trade chat.

The following is not directed at you but just my observation.  People will make more deals and get better deals if they talk to pretty much everyone and always be polite and professional    I just see way too many people get offended or hit ignore in the trade chat, usually way before there is any real reason to take offense.  Its just business.  A few extra words typed in an effort to communicate go a long way.  Hello, please and thank you and no thank you all go a long way.

Edited by (PS4)lupowolfen

People will make more deals and get better deals if they talk to pretty much everyone and always be polite and professional    I just see way too many people get offended or hit ignore in the trade chat, usually way before there is any real reason to take offense.  Its just business.  A few extra words typed in an effort to communicate go a long way.  Hello, please and thank you and no thank you all go a long way.

A big +1.

@ Lupowolfen - My trade model is simple as with how I view making transactions in real life. Unless there is a deal that is truly terrific and I can get it for a very nice price I generally follow this rule: It's better to make more deals then to make a few good ones.

The point being if I am constantly selling I'm constantly making money versus someone who is taking longer to sale for a higher price. It's like do you want to be Toyota and sale ten million cars or do you want to be Rolls Royce and sale 10 cars a year at high value? (Note. Those are example amounts, not pulled from actual data).

That's why I always state my price ahead. And I don't state it too high or too low because I want to make that sale right there and then. I'll give you a fair shake as long as I can ship off the goods. If you high ball you can miss out on a sale. So I don't go too high.

I just make the sale. Plain and simple. And that's why I believe sellers should always state their price, otherwise you are missing out on the quantity of sells. When you say "Offer" you turn away a lot of buyers like me. While someone else who simply lists a price may in fact procure my money.

That's the way I see it.

Finally you even stated above that too often people get offended by just seeing 'offer' and hit the ignore button and miss out. So then you recognize the reality of the situation. So as a seller, and since you realize people do this, you should avoid it by throwing out a number first so you retain their interest instead of them hitting the ignore button. It's not an issue of what SHOULD be happening, it's an issue of what IS happening. And what is happening is people are going to not respond if you type "offer". So as a seller you need to make changes instead of debating the buyer's habits. If Corp A discovers their buyers prefer purchasing method B, they are going to implement purchasing method B to facilitate the buyer not the other way around. We are not corporations but even in a sole proprietor market as a single seller you should be the one making adjustments to the buyer if you want to make more sales. So if the buyer wants an offer, then throw out a number. Like I said it doesn't have to be the right number, it doesn't have to be your final number, it may not even have to be based on anything. But putting a number out there addresses the REAL issue which is ---> "A Lot of buyers prefer to see the seller throw out a number". Saying it's up to the buyer is addressing what you'd like to see happening or what maybe should happen, but it ISN'T addressing what is ACTUALLY happening.

But as you said, and this I 100% agree with, trade however you want to trade. At the end of the day no matter how much I or anybody else try to explain their methods and reasoning it's the simple fact of ---> To each his/her own. You do what you feel like must be done to close the deal.

Edited by (XB1)Lorewalker1022

That's the problem, and that is why people respond with "offer" in the first place.

I might want 300p but be willing to take as low as 260p, occasionally. If I respond with 300, and you move on silently because you only wanted to spend 275, then I have lost out on a sale. You are part of the cause of the offer problem.

I'd like to encourage the thought process that there is no "right" way to make a trade. If I move on, I'll find a price I'll want eventually. Guess what? Others also want that mod, so eventually you'll find someone who will respond to your "offer?". You don't lose out. I don't lose out. I trade how I wish. You trade how you wish. There's no "evil" or "wrong" happening here. I get it's the OP's pet peeve, but what he does is my pet peeve. That doesn't somehow invalidate his trading style, and it doesn't invalidate my trading style. There's plenty of fish in the sea. I'd like to encourage that we just accept that and move on instead of feeling aggressive or hostile towards fellow community members.

You say you "might" negotiate as low as 260p. If that's the case, just say 260p. You have to decide here. Are you going to spend a bit of extra time and find a "negotiator" or make the sale now for 260? People have different buying styles. My style is a upfront no drama-don't play games-name the price. Sell now or sell later...but you'll eventually make that sale. That's your options.

Edited by RpTheHotrod

(Not sure why it did the reverse video on part of your post above.)

You sound like a nice person and please feel free to trade however you want. And true there are plenty of scams going on in trade chat.

The following is not directed at you but just my observation.  People will make more deals and get better deals if they talk to pretty much everyone and always be polite and professional    I just see way too many people get offended or hit ignore in the trade chat, usually way before there is any real reason to take offense.  Its just business.  A few extra words typed in an effort to communicate go a long way.  Hello, please and thank you and no thank you all go a long way.

I agree with you entirely. After a trade, I always say a word of thanks and such. Yes, I could get better prices if I negotiate. However, I honestly don't have time to do so. My brother...he's a big time trader raider. He'll negotiate until the cows come home, and he's rich...VERY rich in plat. That's good for him. However, that's not my style. I prefer to play the game by doing missions as opposed to sitting in trade chat. Is sitting in trade chat wrong or bad? Of course not. It's just another way to play the game. What I do is do my missions. If I need a mod, I swing into trade chat, say I want to buy something. I get a few "Offer?" and someone saying "15p". I buy with the 15p and move on. I don't stick around beyond that. Was 15p a good deal? I honestly don't care. I was willing to pay 15p, and that's all I really care about. Maybe I got a good deal. Maybe they did. Maybe we both did. 

Edited by RpTheHotrod

I'd like to encourage the thought process that there is no "right" way to make a trade. If I move on, I'll find a price I'll want eventually. Guess what? Others also want that mod, so eventually you'll find someone who will respond to your "offer?". You don't lose out. I don't lose out. I trade how I wish. You trade how you wish. There's no "evil" or "wrong" happening here. I get it's the OP's pet peeve, but what he does is my pet peeve. That doesn't somehow invalidate his trading style, and it doesn't invalidate my trading style. There's plenty of fish in the sea. I'd like to encourage that we just accept that and move on instead of feeling aggressive or hostile towards fellow community members.

You say you "might" negotiate as low as 260p. If that's the case, just say 260p. You have to decide here. Are you going to spend a bit of extra time and find a "negotiator" or make the sale now for 260? People have different buying styles. My style is a upfront no drama-don't play games name the price. 

There is no "right way", but you are causing the very thing you claim to be annoyed by, which was my point.

There is no "right way", but you are causing the very thing you claim to be annoyed by, which was my point.

and the OP saying "offer?" is causing the very thing he claims to be annoyed by. By saying "offer?" instead of a price, the buyers aren't responding.

We're all annoyed by something. The trick is, don't let it get to ya. It's a pet peeve, sure, but you know what? I just move on. There's bigger things in the world to worry about. In the end, this is a game, and we're all a part of the same community. Sometimes other people have different opinions that don't "match mine" and vice versa. That's just life. Some people like their tea hot, some like their tea cold. Some people like to negotiate trading. Some people like straight up prices. If you come across a situation that doesn't fit your bill, just move on. You'll come across another situation that is more to your liking.

Edited by RpTheHotrod

@ DesecratedFlame - He may be causing the issue he claims to be annoyed with but the logic for buyers like us is simple.

You throw out a number and there is a chance of us talking, you don't there is no chance. Ultimately you will make your sale and I will make my purchase, maybe not from each other but we will get it eventually.

But that is the difference. As a seller I always want that 'chance' of selling and I know there are a lot of buyers like me (because I'm one of them) so I always throw out a number just to have a chance that you are interested (because I know if I say "offer" and you're like me, you're going to ignore it).

It's basically how quickly do I want to lose that sale to that particular person.

Once again you're going to eventually make the sale. I've never met an item that couldn't be sold.

So to each his/her own.

Edited by (XB1)Lorewalker1022

@ DesecratedFlame - He may be causing the issue he claims to be annoyed with but the logic for buyers like us is simple.

You throw out a number and there is a chance of us talking, you don't there is no chance. Ultimately you will make your sale and I will make my purchase, maybe not from each other but we will get it eventually.

But that is the difference. As a seller I always want that 'chance' of selling and I know there are a lot of buyers like me (because I'm one of them) so I always throw out a number just to have a chance that you are interested (because I know if I say "offer" and you're like me, you're going to ignore it).

It's basically how quickly do I want to lose that sale to that particular person.

Once again you're going to eventually make the sale. I've never met an item that couldn't be sold.

So to each his/her own.

I don't deal with anything less than 20p, and I usually deal with much higher priced items so I don't really have as much of a problem with it. Nothing really gets to me, except when people try to invite me before we have even discussed a price for syndicate items (← my personal pet peeve).

@ DesecratedFlame - Same here, but more in general. If we are still discussing and trying to settle on a price and you are already inviting me to trade, it's a little bit annoying. I usually like to agree to a number before you actually invite me to trade. To also avoid misunderstanding and anybody accusing anybody of ripping them off.

That's not how good business is conducted 

Unless your business is a gypsy rug trader it is in fact exactly how business works.  What business have you gone into and seen shelves lined with product and every tag under them says "offer"?  LMAO

I often get flooded with responses and am unable to commit to writing a response to everyone. I don't think it's rude it's an unrealistic expectation.

Exactly and it's sad no one else has picked up on this.  Maybe all the people raging about it are used to typing WTB and only getting 2 or 3 responses.  However, let's exaimne a real scenario and see if logic and higher thought patterns can sort out the issue.

I type WTB X, I get 5+ responses.  3 of them give a price that varies from each other and 2 respond with "offer".  One of the prices given is exactly what I am willing to pay....so I contact that person and compelte the transaction with that person.  Should I then spend time responding back to every person?  Where do we draw the line?  20 people? 30?

It is not the buyers job to state a price, even in an AUCTION the seller sets the initial price where bidding starts from.  A seller should recognize they are in a market, with other sellers vying to sell their products.  If another seller offers an actual price and it's acceptable why would a buyer waste their time haggling in unknown waters with someone else?  Would you do this in real life?  Would you visit the website's of 3 businesses and see two list prices and a 3rd say "Come on down and make an offer..."??  No, that's crazy. 

I have to agree with others, what is rude is to respond to someone wanting to buy something with "offer" and waste their time.  As a seller you HAVE to have an idea of what you want for something, either submit that up front or don't waste people's time.  

@ DesecratedFlame - Same here, but more in general. If we are still discussing and trying to settle on a price and you are already inviting me to trade, it's a little bit annoying. I usually like to agree to a number before you actually invite me to trade. To also avoid misunderstanding and anybody accusing anybody of ripping them off.

The problem with that is if we don't agree on a price then you have wasted our time. I am not so petty as to let that get to me usually.  HOWEVER, it does become an actual issue when dealing with syndicate items BECAUSE a majority of the time, I don't even have the item we are bartering for. I am waiting to reach an agreement before I actually spend my rep on the item. 

kids dont know about economy ...

im glad when some real sale-place appears instead of this value-less and faar off any reality trading-chat

it seems it goes even more down the last 1 or 2 month then anything else there

there has to be done something, DE, warframe has mutated into a strange place at all, mostly since U 17

the lore of the tennos is non-existent on trading-chat ^^)

Unless your business is a gypsy rug trader it is in fact exactly how business works.  What business have you gone into and seen shelves lined with product and every tag under them says "offer"?  LMAO

This is really a false premise.   Prices are not negotiable at retail businesses like Walmart.   Trading is not like a retail store where you walk in and all the prices are posted.  And often if a price is posted in trade, it can be considered as a starting point for negotiation.  Prices are negotiable in trade.   The trade chat is much more like a want ad or a flea market or a stock market where prices are indeed negotiable.  

Exactly and it's sad no one else has picked up on this.  Maybe all the people raging about it are used to typing WTB and only getting 2 or 3 responses.  However, let's exaimne a real scenario and see if logic and higher thought patterns can sort out the issue.

I type WTB X, I get 5+ responses.  3 of them give a price that varies from each other and 2 respond with "offer".  One of the prices given is exactly what I am willing to pay....so I contact that person and compelte the transaction with that person.  Should I then spend time responding back to every person?  Where do we draw the line?  20 people? 30?

It is not the buyers job to state a price, even in an AUCTION the seller sets the initial price where bidding starts from.  A seller should recognize they are in a market, with other sellers vying to sell their products.  If another seller offers an actual price and it's acceptable why would a buyer waste their time haggling in unknown waters with someone else?  Would you do this in real life?  Would you visit the website's of 3 businesses and see two list prices and a 3rd say "Come on down and make an offer..."??  No, that's crazy. 

I have to agree with others, what is rude is to respond to someone wanting to buy something with "offer" and waste their time.  As a seller you HAVE to have an idea of what you want for something, either submit that up front or don't waste people's time.  

Again, if you placed a WTB ad, you should not be offended when someone responds to your ad with "hello, your offer for xyx?"  You placed the ad and they took the time to respond.  You could take the time to throw out a low ball price or the actual price you are willing to buy for.  And if it's not going anywhere, it takes two seconds be polite and to say nty, even if you've got 5 chat windows to handle.    it doesn't take that long and its polite.

On the other end of things if the seller places the ad, and a buyer responds with "hello, your price for xyz?"  The seller placed the ad and the buyer took the time to respond, so the seller should respond with his price.

I really think the person that placed the ad first is generally obligated to state a price first.  But I don't think people should get too hung up on this either.  If you need to state a price first to get the negotiation going, just do it.  Being polite, communicating and getting a negotiation started is the recipe for trade success.

Edited by (PS4)lupowolfen

I get your point, but if they respond with a valid response (ie an actual price and not a random non-productive "offer?"), I actually do ensure that every single one of them get a response...even if it's no thanks. I typically let them know how much I bought it for as that's valuable information for them on gauging how much it is selling for.

Edited by RpTheHotrod

Lord this got long.....fact of the matter is as much as it annoys the OP people don't respond back it annoys people when you simply say "offer"

What's even more annoying is when you put a price and somebody still says "offer"

But one counter point that I have seen happen that rivals the OP's is when you play along with the offer thing, make one and get no response back~

Some people don't like to do the whole offer thing, I myself included. How I see it is either say your price or don't be surprised when you don't get a response~

well i always say offer? because if is say the price and it's 1 plat too high for the person, instead of telling me to lower it , most of the time they will be butthurt and ignore me

It's a buyer's job to low ball you.  It's a seller's job to over-price things as much as they can. The point of the negotiation is to get the price to something you can both agree on, while still trying to get it to lean in your favor.

If you don't want to negotiate then post how much you want to spend (e.g. WTB X for Y plat).

My logic hasn't wavered at all.

Have you EVER tried arguing with someone when they lowball an offer at you? They instantly say, no. For example, i'm selling an arcane helmet and I get an offer for 20 plat to buy it. I told them i'm expecting at least 75, they said nope and didn't respond.

Have you EVER tried arguing with someone when they lowball an offer at you? They instantly say, no. For example, i'm selling an arcane helmet and I get an offer for 20 plat to buy it. I told them i'm expecting at least 75, they said nope and didn't respond.

Well they could of at least said nty instead of nope, but what is wrong with this specific interaction exactly?  I don't see a problem.  Someone lowballed you and you countered much higher and they declined your counter and they went away.  End of negotiation.  Not every negotiation ends up in a transaction. 

I think it's actually ruder to pm someone who said they wanted to buy, and expect them to give you a price first. 

If they are asking to buy and not suggesting a price, they clearly don't have one in mind. 

You are saying they are rude, when you are the one who solicited them first, and clearly asked them for a price when you knew they weren't prepared to give them one. 

To be honest I find it more annoying than anything when I am on the receiving end of your behavior. I write that I want to buy in trade chat, I don't write a price because I am not sure what that item is normally worth, and I'll see what people want to sell it for and buy it. Then I get a message saying "offer". No. You solicited me. I clearly didn't have a clear price in mind. YOU OFFER. It's your move. 

Now, if you say you are selling and someone messages you asking about it and you say "offer" then it's rude of them to not reply. They solicited you. But it's not rude for me to just not respond when you solicit me with an "offer" message (not even the courtesy to type anything more than that) and then expect me to bow down to your royal highness, come up with a price when I didn't have one, and suggest it, just so you can then laugh at my price or counter offer absurdly high. No thank you. 

Rudeness is expecting someone who clearly didn't have an offer in mind to respond with an offer when they are buying and you came to them. 

well i always say offer? because if is say the price and it's 1 plat too high for the person, instead of telling me to lower it , most of the time they will be butthurt and ignore me

This exactly. Any time I do decide on a price that I want to sell something for and tell somebody, they freak out and get all pissed off. I would much rather ask that they make an offer to get an idea of how much they are willing to spend, then negotiate from there.

In fact, getting asked to make an offer when buying something makes it easier on the buyer's part when they are being asked by multiple people. If one person says they will sell an item for 20 plat, you can then ask somebody who wanted you to make on offer if they would sell it at a lower price.

Simply not responding to somebody is rude and ignorant. If you don't like the way they trade, just tell them "no thank you (or 'nty')" and move on.

Well they could of at least said nty instead of nope, but what is wrong with this specific interaction exactly?  I don't see a problem.  Someone lowballed you and you countered much higher and they declined your counter and they went away.  End of negotiation.  Not every negotiation ends up in a transaction. 

My point is they DO NOT negotiate. They want their low &#! price and they won't take anything else. If you notice the second I gave a price they're all like nope. Also, there are many occasions where I, as a seller, give a price I don't expect to get and the buyer just says no. I put the price higher then average because i'm expecting him to negotiate it down. Then they don't even negotiate at all.